facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old June 24, 2013, 02:43 PM
Banned

Default Greatest Warrior Ever (History)

Who is the undisputed greatest warrior ever?

I hear people talk a lot about Alexander the great, Genghis Khan and others? can those who are well versed or are good with history share some knowledge. it's a very nice topic to debate about, I actually don't know much. I also tend to believe what people say like the Roman's were the best, but who was the leader or controlled the empire is something that interest me. I have been watching some YouTube video's in the past few day's and some of the tactics used by the leader's to defeat opposition with greater number of army is awesome, feel free to share your opinion.

Last edited by MohammedShamim; June 25, 2013 at 05:52 AM..
Old June 24, 2013, 03:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Tamarlane - the earth shaker. http://www.amazon.com/dp/1417908653

Read it too - great book - and great life.
Old June 24, 2013, 03:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsayeed
Tamarlane - the earth shaker. http://www.amazon.com/dp/1417908653

Read it too - great book - and great life.
Tamarlane is historically found to be from the lineage of Genghis Khan, I think GK is the main person or founder of the mongol empire, I am not sure if they are muslim's or not, but as per Wikipedia it say's so. their seems to be negative views and positive views about Genghis Khan and The Mongol Empire. Yes, maybe Tamarlane did a lot in term's of the structure and educational system's improvement. I can not agree or say majority agree that his the greatest warrior ever. There are many warrior's who had created dynasty if you look at muslim's warrior, I am looking at overall like what historian say.
Old June 25, 2013, 11:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by King13
Tamarlane is historically found to be from the lineage of Genghis Khan, I think GK is the main person or founder of the mongol empire, I am not sure if they are muslim's or not, but as per Wikipedia it say's so. their seems to be negative views and positive views about Genghis Khan and The Mongol Empire. Yes, maybe Tamarlane did a lot in term's of the structure and educational system's improvement. I can not agree or say majority agree that his the greatest warrior ever. There are many warrior's who had created dynasty if you look at muslim's warrior, I am looking at overall like what historian say.
He was from the lineage - but he was not backed by them. He did it on his own. In fact he had to fight against the Khans. Read the book - you will be entertained - highly unputdownable. He destroyed so that he may build it again. The Moghuls are from Tamarlane's lineage. It is because of him what Samarkand became. Rumi escaped because of Genghis - Hafez stayed in his home town though - because of Tamarlane.

In the book - it says how he increased the chess board from 8X8 to 16X16 - he was a master strategist.

Last edited by zsayeed; June 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM..
Old June 24, 2013, 03:38 PM
Banned

some useful links of documentary:

Genghis Khan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1Jq-C3Q3Z4
Alexander the Great:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=524NsuNR-l0
Napoleon:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrbiSUgZEbg

Found this great video about Mehmed the Conquerer, namely al-Fatih: Ottoman Empire:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyiqEAxECY0
Old June 24, 2013, 09:45 PM
Cricket Savant

Plantagenet ra hobe tobe arki

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old June 24, 2013, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:

I hear people talk a lot about Alexandra the great, Genghis Khan and others? can those who are well versed or are good with history share some knowledge. it's a very nice topic to debate about, I actually don't know much. I also tend to believe what people say like the Roman's were the best, but who was the leader or controlled the empire is something that interest me. I have been watching some YouTube video's in the past few day's and some of the tactics used by the leader's to defeat opposition with greater number of army is awesome, feel free to share your opinion.
Alexandra was too cute to be a warrior. Her brother Alexander was a different thing altogether.
Old June 24, 2013, 09:50 PM
Cricket Savant

Not sure if we should laud it, but once I read Genghis Khan killed most # of people in an hour.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...s-dropped.html
http://www.popcrunch.com/10-most-bad...-in-history-2/

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old June 24, 2013, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Tamerlane might have been the greatest warrior, but Tamerlan was the greatest coward.
Old June 25, 2013, 05:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Tamerlane might have been the greatest warrior, but Tamerlan was the greatest coward.
are they two different individual?
Old June 24, 2013, 10:52 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Tamim Iqbal... even though he didn't get a game for Warriors
Old June 24, 2013, 10:58 PM
First Class Cricketer

Genghis Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!
Old June 24, 2013, 11:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Is it me or is this kind of glorifying people who were simply mass murderers at the end of the day ?
I never understood the admiration so many Pakistanis (and some Bangladeshis) have for Genghis Khan for instance
Old June 24, 2013, 11:10 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
Is it me or is this kind of glorifying people who were simply mass murderers at the end of the day ?
I never understood the admiration so many Pakistanis (and some Bangladeshis) have for Genghis Khan for instance
We're talking about history and you can't speak of conquerors without speaking of Genghis Khan. It is really as simple as that.

Old June 25, 2013, 05:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
I agree with you somewhat. Genghis Khan did kill many muslim's, but that did not stop him from being regarded as one of the great's in term's of conquering lands. unfortunately he wanted to conquer the whole world, that was his ambition. however, due to his old age and passing away he was unable to continue in pursue of his dream. he did tell his people to continue to fulfil his ambition, but it was impossible to do so without the leader himself Genghis Khan. I believe most great's all wanted to conquer the whole world, if any did, I am not sure.
Old June 25, 2013, 06:33 AM
MLC World Series I

Quote:
Because his name has a Khan at the end and it may possibly be due to ignorance.
Old June 25, 2013, 08:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maysun
Because his name has a Khan at the end and it may possibly be due to ignorance.
Most historian mention's Genghis Khan, I think its more to do with what he has done and what he has achieved. Yes maybe some people think due to his "Khan" as part of his name, his a muslim and also he is great. for me personally, whenever historian talked about great warriors or leader's they have mentioned Genghis Khan. He is to me not the greatest for sure, but in terms of quality in leadership and strategy, excellent.
Old June 25, 2013, 03:03 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
I can't attach war and great together. Because a great deal of people (Example: the loser of the wars and their families) don't find it great.

As for warriors, all of them are killers. So substituting:

Who is the undisputed greatest Killer ever? ------------- Now it is just tacky.
Old June 25, 2013, 05:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
I can't attach war and great together. Because a great deal of people (Example: the loser of the wars and their families) don't find it great.

As for warriors, all of them are killers. So substituting:

Who is the undisputed greatest Killer ever? ------------- Now it is just tacky.
Yes fair enough, so who is the greatest killer ever than? Warrior's can be killer's, murderer's can be killer's etc. people often refer to warrior due to their leadership skill's on the battlefield, strategy. I think most historian talk about how they used to make their soldier's convinced that if we do certain thing's on the battlefield we will win. in the olden day's most warriors used to fight in the battlefield first and not directly attack a country like this modern day's where u have direct rockets being launched at innocent people's.
Old June 25, 2013, 08:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
in the olden day's most warriors used to fight in the battlefield first and not directly attack a country like this modern day's where u have direct rockets being launched at innocent people's.
Is this a joke?
The number of people killed in older days was far more than those killed now, in proportion to total population then and now. For all their evils, it is seen as somewhat wrong to massacre civilians these days, which is why stuff like Srebrenica and Rwanda is seen as so bad, but in "olden days", it was seen as something good by most "warriors".
Often war meant killing soldiers and as many civilians as you can and abusing as many women and children as you can...
Old June 25, 2013, 09:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Is this a joke?
The number of people killed in older days was far more than those killed now, in proportion to total population then and now. For all their evils, it is seen as somewhat wrong to massacre civilians these days, which is why stuff like Srebrenica and Rwanda is seen as so bad, but in "olden days", it was seen as something good by most "warriors".
Often war meant killing soldiers and as many civilians as you can and abusing as many women and children as you can...
I hope we keep to the topic- but I would like to express my opinion on this matter. olden day's and now is completely different. in olden day's it was all about war's and lands if you look at history, most country's can-not say that they were not involved in wars. its wrong to compare the olden day's and now. in the current time/generation, we have European law's, justice etc. which are clearly not followed by some oppressive countries, unlike the olden day's where ruler,commander and leader's had to write law's by themselves, it was the time of establishment of Land's and Law. it was a very tough and testing time for people.
Old June 25, 2013, 03:52 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Men in Blue

The people mentioned here were great generals, however little is known about their own martial skills.

To me the greatest 'warriors' are those who fought to defend/regain their land, as opposed to those conquerors on a mad power trip. I would rather rate Siraj Ud Daulah, Tipu Sultan, Rani Laxmibai, Joan of Arc, William Wallace etc as great warriors, who at least fought for a reason.

At the end, many of the so called great warriors were mass murderers, who would themselves actively be involved, or turn a blind eye towards their soldier's atrocities after the conquest. One of the motivating factors for the soldiers (who were paid peanuts) was that they'll get to pillage the town for days after the conquest. The women would commit mass suicides given the other alternatives. In many cases a whole city will be razed to the ground just for a wild satisfaction. So no matter how hard we try to glorify these people, there is nothing glorious about them.
Old June 25, 2013, 05:47 AM
First Class Cricketer

Where would 'our' - I know not everyone here is a muslim - Prophet be placed?
Old June 25, 2013, 05:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiators
Where would 'our' - I know not everyone here is a muslim - Prophet be placed?
He is a prophet not a warrior. he came to spread islam not conquer lands.
Old June 26, 2013, 08:32 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
He is a prophet not a warrior. he came to spread islam not conquer lands.
But he conquered lands nevertheless - he went to war, he expanded 'muslim' land. I'd say he was a warrior - maybe a reluctant warrior, but a warrior.