facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old August 26, 2012, 02:50 PM
Cricket Savant

Default A million interesting things to do in Bangladesh!

I know we have travel threads but assume I am an Inuit or Masai or Ainu or Samba. How would you showcase your country? What are MUST-DOs and MUST-VISITs for Bangladesh?

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles

Old August 26, 2012, 03:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

As a history nut, can I recommend the NeelKuti bari in Meherpur? Robert Clive defeated Sirajdullah and the papers were signed at this house. Very chilling when you consider how that battle decided the whole of India's face and solidified The British East India Company's dominion. However it wasn't until 1799 when the last resisting force of Tipu Sultan was vanquished; hence giving Britain 100% control (with the exception of the princely states). But the deal was done more or less done in 1757 in that house in Meherpur. Fascinating!

I took the tour myself, and there are other cool little intricacies inside and outside the house. But I shall not reveal them to you and hope you get the chance to visit the place yourself one day.

Keep it 100,

Roey
Old August 26, 2012, 03:48 PM
Cricket Savant

Marry me Roey.

Old August 26, 2012, 03:52 PM
Cricket Savant

#2 Nabobganj

Are they frontin' Corinthian thurr?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahmadul/2870841374/

Old August 26, 2012, 04:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

This site provides several places to visit in Bangladesh

http://www.toursbd.net/archaeology.php
Old August 26, 2012, 04:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
Marry me Roey.
Not with that avatar, I won't!

Keep it 100,

Roey
Old August 26, 2012, 04:36 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinatf
This site provides several places to visit in Bangladesh

http://www.toursbd.net/archaeology.php
Dude, anyone can post a link. It's another thing to artfully arrange them. Roey gets full marks.

Explore out names of fairies and spirits in Fairy Hill.

Edit: I think this question is too vague for this site and will be locked/closed.

Old August 26, 2012, 04:43 PM
Cricket Savant

#5 Visit WW2 cemetery in Ctg
Quote:

Second World War warrior’s graveyards are in this Cemetery. There are 755 graves in this graveyard of the great warriors who died d in world war from1939 to 1945 in Chittagong areas. In this well-preserved cemetery at a quiet and picturesque place within the city lie buried in eternal peace over 700 soldiers from British, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, India, Myanmar, East and West Africa, The Netherlands and Japan who laid down their lives on the Myanmar front during the World War II. And also there are also 4 non world-war graves in the cemetery. The Cemetery is being maintenance by Australian War Grave Commission.

The natural beauty of this place is just phenomenal and rare in Bangladesh. Visiting this place will enrapture visitor with its immense beauty. After going through the walkway, the entrance of the cemetery is in front of you. In the entrance, the feature of this cemetery is Chittagong Memorial which commemorates by name 6469 sailors of the Royal Indian Navy and Merchant Navy who were lost in sea during the Second World War. After entrance, you can feel the breeze of silence and sanctity. Just go through the passage, graves are on both sides, maintained with proper care. Granite epitaph says it all about its entity. At the end, a prayer room placed.

The flawless maintenance by the authority makes the place look like the canvas of an artist.

So, who are intending to come Chittagong in future, can include War Cemetery in their travel schedule.

http://bdtravelguide.blogspot.com/20...agong-and.html

#6 Visit Gandhi ashram

Quote:
Gandhi Ashram

Gandhi Ashram is a living memorial to the most remarkable of Gandhi's partition peace missions. Situated about 23 km. Northwest of Choumuhani town and 2 km. East of Chatkhil at Jayag under Begumganj upazilla, about 30 km north of Noakhali district headquarters. This ashram devoted to Gandhi’s ideology Historical Charka and other valuables used by Mahatma are preserved in this ashram and those evoke deep respect to the unique memories of the great soul. Every morning and evening, people gather for a prayer meeting in a room which still contains mementoes of Gandhi's visit here in January 1947.
http://bdtravelguide.blogspot.com/se...ANDHI%20ASHRAM

Old August 26, 2012, 04:52 PM
Cricket Savant

#7 Visit one of the oldest building structure in BD. Hussaini Dalan.

Quote:
According to Taylor (1839), “the principal Mahommedan places of worship are the Edgah and Hossainee Delaun, the latter is said to have been built by a person named Mir Murad, who held the Darogahship of the Nawarrah Mehals, and had charge of the public buildings in the time of Sultan Muhammad Azam.” According to tradition, “Mir Murad had a vision of Imam Hussein erecting a 'taziah khannah' or house of mourning which led to the construction of Husseini Dalan. Raised on the foundations of a former small taziakhana, the building has undergone alterations. The original date of construction is still disputed, but Husseini Dalan in its present form is attributed to Nasrat Jung, who rebuilt the imambara in 1823. The present flat roof was rebuilt by Nawab Ahsanuallah Bahadur after the earthquake of 1897, and another verandah was added to the southern side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hussaini_Dalan

Old August 27, 2012, 12:10 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Very good thread.

It has been close to a decade since I've been back for good and never had a dull or boring moment here. Our country is teeming with people and each person has an interesting story he or she usually doesn't hesitate to share once in his or her own element. Meeting people and discovering their stories, especially in rural Bangladesh and our urban shanties is what I love the most living here in Bangladesh. Strange for someone fundamentally solitary and somewhat unsocial.

I love driving out to Munshiganj, Sylhet, southern Noakhali, Chittagong, Rangamati and Bandarban as often I as I can and spend entire days and nights on a boat reading, writing and listening to music. It is especially awesome when it rains incessantly and I feel the sound of rain and music fuse into a sustained experience of peace and joy deep in my heart.

I often drive out to southern Noakhali or northern Chittagong and find small piers alongside the Bay of Bengal. The local, always chillaxed fishermen go out to the Bay during any "number 3 warning" to catch particular types of fish and for about BDT 3,000 "af-and-daun", you can tag along to experience them expertly negotiate 20-foot waves, often additionally chilled under the influence of local Ganja or Bhang, and singing traditional, timeless Bhawaiya tunes about finding love, missing loved ones, heartbreak, finding GOD, cathartic encounters with holy men and women, bravery and nostalgic reminiscence of better days of unity and brotherhood among men of different faith. The trip from southern Noakhali to Swandeep via Nijhum Deep and Hatiya takes about 7-8 hours round trip. From Kumira in northern Chittagong to Swandeep takes about 4 and will cost BDT 1,500 "af-and-daun". You should bring your own life jacket even if you're a great ocean swimmer because the only rescue gear they have on board is a rope and if you're lucky, the rarely found rubber or styrofoam bouy.

Everything depends on the tides but you usually get back to the mainland during bhata with water receding at least a mile from the pier, if you're not spending the night on any of the islands. It is simply incredible how the always fit and graceful locals just glide across the exposed, slippery mud and seaweed when we can't take two careful steps without falling on our asses.

There's so much to explore and discover in such small place of your own kind. There's so much to learn from new friends who never fail to inspire genuine respect and humility with their resilience, moral and physical strength and sensibilities, deep yet easily love of life, and absolute mastery over a precious environment they nurture.

"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; August 27, 2012 at 12:48 AM..
Old August 27, 2012, 12:33 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
#2 Nabobganj

Are they frontin' Corinthian thurr?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahmadul/2870841374/
i remember this jomidar bari..i went there 2 years ago..people still live in this house believe it or not
Old August 27, 2012, 03:22 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Armanitola esp. the Armenian Church and Graveyard. The gravestones depict the amazing journey made by the Armenians to Bengal, many via Persia. The cemetery also contains the graves of many members of the Christian community at the time, including a gentleman who is said to have lived till 108! The inside of the Church is very peaceful and has one of the oldest extant paintings in Bangladesh - as well as a 100 year old photo of the Archbishop of the Armenian Church for India and Persia!
Old August 27, 2012, 04:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

I think playing games like 'guess how long before you get bitten by a mosquito' or 'guess the amount of time before the electricity gets cut' are interesting things to do in Bangladesh.

Jokes aside for me i love visiting the countryside of Bangladesh. It gives you a sense of belonging and you can really witness the place were your grandparents lived and where your parents grew up. Dhaka is too crowded and things look messed up there. In the countryside its much more isolated and it feels good. Thats one of the unique things you can do in Bangladesh that you cant do in any other country.
Old August 27, 2012, 09:59 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Great thread, Gopal! Finally!

I'm surprised no one mentioned about Sonargaon, Ahsan Manzil, and the likes yet! They've got great history. It's always great to read about them and remind ourselves of our roots.
Old August 27, 2012, 10:24 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Sylhet.

Old August 27, 2012, 10:51 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

^^Tourism in Bangladesh is neglected anyway. So Sylhet isn't the only one. But agree, it's a beautiful place to visit.
Old August 27, 2012, 11:12 PM
Cricket Savant

Looks like banglarpothe-da has some good videos... although fail from fieldwork perspective

Old August 27, 2012, 11:13 PM
Cricket Savant

See a folk dance live

http://www.banglapedia.org/httpdocs/HT/F_0118.HTM

Old August 27, 2012, 11:15 PM
Cricket Savant

Visit Golden Temple in Bandarban.

Old August 27, 2012, 11:30 PM
Cricket Savant

Get a glimpse of Tiger at Sundarban

An 1839 sketch from wikipedia

Old August 27, 2012, 11:34 PM
Administrator

See a jatra
Old August 27, 2012, 11:36 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
See a jatra
It may sound glamorous but unless one is not trained to see the details such as mudra or overall historical allegory after reading ethnographer's record it would really go over our head esp. the nauseous cacophony of sound.

Old August 28, 2012, 12:08 AM
Cricket Savant

Visit a hindu snake temple with Ajfar as guide... LOL

Quote:

Worship

Generally, Manasa is worshipped without an image. A branch of a tree, an earthen pot or an earthen snake image is worshipped as the goddess,[1] though images of Manasa are worshipped too. She is worshipped for protection from and cure of snake bites and infectious diseases like smallpox and chicken pox.
The cult of Manasa is most widespread in Bengal, where she is ritually worshipped in temples. The goddess is widely worshipped in the rainy season, when the snakes are most active.
Manasa is ceremonially worshipped on Nag Panchami - a festival of snake worship in the Hindu month of Shravan (July–August). Bengali women observe a fast (vrata) on this day and offer milk at snake holes.[15]
link

http://www.agefotostock.com/en/Stock...d/MWO-MW010666

Old August 28, 2012, 12:19 AM
Administrator

Travel on a train. As in ON.

Old August 28, 2012, 12:22 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Travel on a train. As in ON.
Dude, good Doc.

My parents won't let me out of their site on rafel square from one saree stall to another and to assume i can get away with army training in world's largest mangrove forest is a far cry.

Now THAT traintop riding is a great idea. But immediate reaction from family....

"morar housh uthse? koilja ta kotto borro... tar cheye golay dorit diya morlei hoy"

THIS IS WHY OUR CRICKET TEAM is in shambles. Udul pudul lutu putu momer putul banano hoy khali daaab daaab makhon gilaye.

Jottoshob.

Pz out

Keep it 100/100