facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 8, 2007, 06:51 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

Lot of superstar..
need some star,

Old August 8, 2007, 06:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR

Grade 3, the next superstars: Junayed Siddique, Nazmus Sadat, Raquibul Hasan Nirala, Nadif Chaudhury, Dollar Mahmud and Rubel Hossain.
For Grade 3 few more

No 1. Nazimuddin

No 2. Naeem Islam

No 3. Ariful Haque (14 years Kid avg 46 for FC cricket)

(some info about Ariful haque played 5 matches for under 19 cricket team and scored 30 runs ..avg 7.50 highest score 18 anyways he is sharing some magical word with his name "ful" so no need to worry)
Old August 8, 2007, 07:17 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by capslock
SIgh....

Can we please put a moratorium on the words 'next' and 'superstar' and any combination of the two when it comes to referring to our players?
Exactly my thoughts Capslock.

I mean, what do you mean by "next superstar" Sohel bhai?
We are yet to have our first superstar.

Ashraful is what can be described as "Superstar-in-making-for-a-long-time"...
he is the closest thing to a "star" in our team...

the rest is more like flashlights....passing comets...

Quoting you, "In 16 innings of FC cricket, he has averaged 34.36 with two 50s and one 100 with a highest score of 114* with an average strike rate of 55.23."

Now thats a far far away from being anything but the "next superstar" stat.
IF he had an outstanding average of 50+ with a SR of over 70 with atleast couple more big centuries, that would hv been an indication of "rising star" and something out of ordinary among the BD standard.

But, to brand a guy "superstar" who has played only handful number of our D-grade national league with an 30-something average is quite a big and premature call.

Long long way to go.

I wont jump on that bandwagon as yet.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old August 8, 2007, 07:32 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

I am a bit of pessimistic here. Until he does show that he is 'the one', I'll not put my faith in him.

Show me the money first!
Old August 8, 2007, 07:32 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Like others, I was also surprised to see the use of the word "Superstar" by Sohel bhai. But after reading the following I sort of get an idea what he means.

Quote:
My point exactly, as the thread title clearly suggests. For and of BD cricket within the Bangadeshi context...

...That said, this thread was about Junayed Siddique, not my choice of a particular word to be picked upon with questionable intent. I used the word "superstar" and not "the next big thing" repeatedly, so sue me.
So, boys and girls don't get too excited by the word "Superstar". He is only talking about it from BD's context. Actually this could have been put in the following way :

Quote:
Junnaid Siiddique: The Next Superstar* of BD Cricket

* Not proven but only in terms of talent and ability a superstar WITHIN BD cricket.
Sohel bhai, now go and put a disclaimer in your post before everyone gets you.
Old August 8, 2007, 08:35 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

A 4-day strike rate of 55 point whatever percent from an otherwise aggressive young opener, not to mention a patiently crafted 114 not out, shows encouraging glimpses of the ability carry the bat, and the desire to change the game according to the format our senior side test openers could take heed from. Hence, the statement based on a hunch of course, that he is likely to have a bright future in test cricket also.

I know it's too early to tell. Some of you can preach to the choir as much as you want to, while others can give it a closer read, like Ehsan, and look at the letter, the spirit and the subjective, yet IMO somewhat educated enthusiasm of what I've posted with a bit more understanding. I simply wanted to convey my excitement about a player, along with Alok Kapali, I've had the pleasure of watching during the last NCL. Attracting the thought police, totally expected from some, was not my intent.

Give him and others the time they require under our real circumstances, and you'll see what I see, and understand why we'll win the World Cup by 2015 at the earliest or 2019 at the latest, as our talented hit their peaks and BCB matures into its expected role. I have no doubts that they'll become a good test side after that WC win.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; August 8, 2007 at 08:53 AM..
Old August 8, 2007, 08:56 AM
First Class Cricketer

i saw the 20-20 match final (i think ntv/chanel i broadcasted it) . from that experience i am not prepared to expect him to be a superstar at least in near future. I did like the way he played.. he has the combination of class and aggresivenes. In fact he was one of the greatest find of that tournament. But not sure if he performed well in other versions of the game. Let him play a few match.. cause..domestic superstars are not guranteed to be international superstars.. example????.. there are few in our own country. good luck to junaid
Old August 8, 2007, 09:26 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Please don't jinx these players by calling them the "next superstar". What "next" superstar? Who is our superstar now? I've put my faith in too many players to see them turn into flops. I wish Junayed and the others best of luck, but don't count your chickens before they hatch.
Old August 8, 2007, 09:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

Still waiting for Zia bhai to post the 20/20 final video.
We had a rather lengthy discussion on JS after the 20/20 final. This guy is the real deal. doesn't play like a Bangladeshi. our first Australian batsman.

Can someone post a link to that thread (early 2007)?
Old August 8, 2007, 10:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

Good luck to Junayed.
But still long way to go. At least from the record, it does not look anything special. Nafis brothers, Ashraful, Rokon, Aftab, even Opi were no worse. But we all know!
Old August 8, 2007, 10:21 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagol-chagol
Still waiting for Zia bhai to post the 20/20 final video.
We had a rather lengthy discussion on JS after the 20/20 final. This guy is the real deal. doesn't play like a Bangladeshi. our first Australian batsman.

Can someone post a link to that thread (early 2007)?
We had some discussion about Junayed here

From Toddlers to Early Teens : Bangladesh Domestic Cricket in 2006

and here

KAI ALTECH Premier Division Twenty20 League 2006
Old August 8, 2007, 10:59 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
IMHO, "just being another Ashraful" is not at all a bad thing given the realities of BD cricket at this level, especially without the type of domestic set up that can prepare our players for the international arena better than the current infrastructure, which contrary to some of the pre-Lanka, status-quo apologists in this forum, obviously does not.

Who has done better or been more effective than Ash in significant BD innings, partnerships and individual scores and accomplishments? As hard as it may be, and as emotionally driven as our expectations are, we need to be more patient as our genuinely talented players - we don't have too many of those yet - as they continue to learn on the job. Remember that the "peak range" for most batsmen is between the age of 27 and 32. Cut these young men some slack dude, they still have 5 to 9 years before hitting that range.
well said, given our meagre resources, ashraful's history is no worse than what a lara, inzy, ponting, or sachin would have done had they made the mistake of being born to bangladeshi parents.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old August 8, 2007, 11:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

I did enojoyed that 20/20 final and was really very much optimistic about this lad while I was watching that match. The most exciting part of his batting is accuracy of his shots. Whatever he went for with his intention he did that in that particular match.
Old August 8, 2007, 11:40 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Why hasn't Junaid featured in any of the age group teams? Looks like he has come from a different route.
Old August 8, 2007, 12:40 PM
Test Cricketer

OK! Who is the current superstar? I am scratching my head. Hmmm! It did not help. Now I scratching my tummy and it did not help either!
Old August 8, 2007, 12:51 PM
Test Cricketer

I know Akram Khan is a big fan of Junayed so I wouldn't be surprised to see him enter the fray at some stage.
Old August 8, 2007, 01:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Sohel bhai ektu catchy title use korte giye "next superstar" bole sobai ke khepiye diyese. The thing is after seeing so many next superstars coming and going in our team, we are kinda afraid of the next superstar. We rather have someone who can come and do the job for us. He doesn't need to be pretty as long as he doesn't throw away his wickets and give us the runs we need. I would rather term Junaed as next top prospect.
Old August 8, 2007, 01:09 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim

Quote:
Doesn't this guy look just like Shahadat Hossain Rajib ?
Old August 8, 2007, 01:13 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadi
Sohel bhai ektu catchy title use korte giye "next superstar" bole sobai ke khepiye diyese. The thing is after seeing so many next superstars coming and going in our team, we are kinda afraid of the next superstar. We rather have someone who can come and do the job for us. He doesn't need to be pretty as long as he doesn't throw away his wickets and give us the runs we need. I would rather term Junaed as next top prospect.
Got it man!

Although I don't agree that Junaid is next top prospect. IMHO, apart from Twenty20 league 2006, he failed to live up to expectation.

Junaid Siddique, Raqibul Hasan, Naeem Islam, Jahurul Islam, Nazimuddin and Gazi Salahuddin, hardly you can differentiate between them in terms of future batting prospect of Bangladesh.
Old August 8, 2007, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

koto prospect ashbe/jabe. let's see who can stick around for the longest and live up to the demands of international cricket.
Old August 8, 2007, 01:16 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Its unfortunate to see some folks pigeon holing their judgement of the post to the term 'superstar' and ignoring what is otherwise a nice piece of technical observation from Sohel NR for a potential future player. I am sure, most of the same folks have never seen him bat ( I didn't ) , but Sohel did, and wrote the piece as he saw fit with clear indication of JS's strengths and mitigating factors that may need improvement. Maybe, we should focus on that instead of needless banter associated with the term 'superstar'. It is a subjective matter and if Sohel feels like JS has what it takes to be the next 'it' backed up by stats that he has provided, I back him, not because its a nice piece, but because he is generally right when it comes to a lot of players and their cricketing abilities or faults. And by the way, he is not force feeding us with endless front page articles singing the hymns of a certain ex-captain, that are oh so boring and ends with usual unimaginative stuff like - "best captain ever" !

A star quality in a player is closely related to the entertainment value he provides for the fans as well. Lets not forget that. Tamim made a name for himself with that one innings because it captured the imagination of the public. He may not pan out to be a consistent run piler ( I hope not ) , but there is no doubting that he has star values which brings people to the field. In that regard, Ash is certainly an intl star and defintiely a Bangladeshi 'superstar' in our context, if filtered through that prism and simply because for what he brings to the table.

Maybe Sohel should have ended the title with a question mark ( ? ). For example : The next Superstar of BD cricket? But, thats up to him and I focus on the content and not the title.
Old August 8, 2007, 02:23 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
A star quality in a player is closely related to the entertainment value he provides for the fans as well. Lets not forget that. Tamim made a name for himself with that one innings because it captured the imagination of the public. He may not pan out to be a consistent run piler ( I hope not ) , but there is no doubting that he has star values which brings people to the field. In that regard, Ash is certainly an intl star and defintiely a Bangladeshi 'superstar' in our context, if filtered through that prism and simply because for what he brings to the table.

Maybe Sohel should have ended the title with a question mark ( ? ). For example : The next Superstar of BD cricket? But, thats up to him and I focus on the content and not the title.
Perfectly put as always.

Thank you Beamer for your observations. Hindsight is always 20/20, no pun intended here, and your recommended thread title would have made the title more palatable to most who find it hard to swallow. Some, on the other hand, will continue to demonstrate the conviction of their own vanity and persist with the thinly disguised bitchfest.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; August 8, 2007 at 06:09 PM..
Old August 8, 2007, 02:53 PM
Cricket Sage

Thread ta to Jomshelo Bhalo... suddenly why so quite... tired?

Pankha lagbe pankha?

Old August 8, 2007, 03:55 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Finally I got something to say about in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Thread ta to Jomshelo Bhalo... suddenly why so quite... tired?

Pankha lagbe pankha?

bol bearing system lagano asey. which ever direction the wind blows the thread goes that way. Right now the breeze is not existant. I suggest jorey jorey haat ghuran. Fire needs some wind.
Old August 8, 2007, 04:23 PM
Cricket Legend

ekta rumor chalu koren keu....... Junayed faruker bhatija type kisu..... arek round choluk.....