facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 8, 2007, 08:16 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Different grades: -

Top shelf, IMHO, the current genuine superstars, meaning the ones people the world over will pay to watch: Mohammad Ashraful and Mashrafe Bin Murtaza.

Grade 1, if they deliver on the promise: Alok Kapali , Aftab Ahmed, Tamim Iqbal, Nafees Iqbal, Shahadat Hossain, Enamul Haque and Talha Jubair.

Grade 2, will get there sooner than we think: Mushfiqur Rahim, Shakib Al Hasan, Syed Rasel and Mehrab Hossain Orion.

Grade 3, the next superstars: Junayed Siddique, Nazmus Sadat, Raquibul Hasan Nirala, Nadif Chaudhury, Dollar Mahmud and Rubel Hossain.

Useful but lacking something: Shahriar Nafees.
Seriously? These rankings lose all credibility when the likes of Talha, Nafis I, and Kapali come ahead of S. Nafees, Mushfiq and Sakib. The latter three have actually made an impact on international cricket and are whole lot more likely to be the 'real deal' than the wash ups who make up your Grade 1 tier.

Old August 8, 2007, 08:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

Quote:
. I used the word "superstar" and not "the next big thing" repeatedly, so sue me.
would you mind terribly if i hired that syleti guy IAS who just happens to be a solicitor? thinking about it, if the case is going to be conducted in dhaka, would my solicitor understand your lawyer's arguments in 'proper' bengali?

i am begining to think that this court case is going to be a bad idea..
Old August 8, 2007, 08:57 PM
Cricket Legend

I remember there was one game bw Mohammedans and Sonargaon. Junaid scored a splendid innings (whirlwind as usual). In Reply Sonargaon was very close to win the almost impossible match when captain Ashraful hit an even faster and swashbuckling innings. However, the point is Ashraful was engaged in that match in an incident when he complained Junaid left the field without enought reasons and he also said JS usually is sloth in fielding (doesn't want to spend long time on the field).

Just from that comment I'm not sure if we should judge anything but definitely there is room for second thought on JS being a good fielder or not OR if he has a good connection going on with Ashraful (doesn't matter though, does it?). Can't remember when the match took place - must be the last club championship.
Old August 8, 2007, 09:24 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateCut
OK! Who is the current superstar? I am scratching my head. Hmmm! It did not help. Now I scratching my tummy and it did not help either!
limit the scratching to the tummy=P
Old August 8, 2007, 10:46 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Different grades: -

Top shelf, IMHO, the current genuine superstars, meaning the ones people the world over will pay to watch: Mohammad Ashraful and Mashrafe Bin Murtaza.

Grade 1, if they deliver on the promise: Alok Kapali , Aftab Ahmed, Tamim Iqbal, Nafees Iqbal, Shahadat Hossain, Enamul Haque and Talha Jubair.

Grade 2, will get there sooner than we think: Mushfiqur Rahim, Shakib Al Hasan, Syed Rasel and Mehrab Hossain Orion.

Grade 3, the next superstars: Junayed Siddique, Nazmus Sadat, Raquibul Hasan Nirala, Nadif Chaudhury, Dollar Mahmud and Rubel Hossain.

Useful but lacking something: Shahriar Nafees.
Oh dude! Your picture of judgement of talent/performance really seems limited. I mean come on, you put alok, Aftab, shahadat, N iqbal as grade 1. Dude, I seriously gotta disagree with you on this one. I just dont see how you grade Alok so high. I guess you are always gonna have a soft spot on him.
Old August 9, 2007, 01:01 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonoy
Oh dude! Your picture of judgement of talent/performance really seems limited. I mean come on, you put alok, Aftab, shahadat, N iqbal as grade 1. Dude, I seriously gotta disagree with you on this one. I just dont see how you grade Alok so high. I guess you are always gonna have a soft spot on him.
hahaa... sohel bhai is an Alok lover... though unfortunately he had to fight for Junayed here
Old August 9, 2007, 04:49 AM
Test Cricketer

i fully agree wid Sohel....i did hear bout Junayed from some folks in bd that this guys is extremly talented
he is tall too 6'1"
he got gud hand eye coordination......hits the ball hard too
it wld gr8 gr8 news to see this powerful tall man in wrld twenty20....
Old August 9, 2007, 05:18 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: aftab,mashrafee and tamim

ore to kheltei deklaam na?superstar hoya gese!! sala ki lucky..newayz how old is dis chap?
Old August 9, 2007, 05:42 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: The Umpires

Exactly. No wonder infant mortaliy is so high in BD cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
The problem is, we brand our potential players as "Super Stars" way too early, and they also leave the international arena quickly with one or two notable performances.

I hope Junayed will be an exception and will become a reliable player who can serve Bangladesh for a long time.

We have had seen enough superstars, I personally get afraid when someone is termed as superstar. I hope the "Superstar" curse will not destroy yet another potential career.
Old August 9, 2007, 07:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRHaN
ore to kheltei deklaam na?superstar hoya gese!! sala ki lucky..newayz how old is dis chap?
50 lol!!
Old August 9, 2007, 11:43 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

No offense to Sohel Bhai, and other prolific writers of BC.

Sharp, literary, sesational, ...(Just remember countless articles that were published after Ash become the captain)...type of writing will not make any BD player superstar. Neither a glimse of talent or sudden flash like Ash. The thing that really makes or will make a player superstar is good stat. Not everyone may agree with it, this is thing I care most.
Old August 9, 2007, 12:59 PM
ODI Cricketer

dis is how we ruin our players. they r called the next superstars..... and then they a whole lot of pressure on them everytime they play, and not many young people can handle that pressure
Old August 9, 2007, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner
i fully agree wid Sohel....i did hear bout Junayed from some folks in bd that this guys is extremly talented
he is tall too 6'1"
he got gud hand eye coordination......hits the ball hard too
it wld gr8 gr8 news to see this powerful tall man in wrld twenty20....
does being tall really help a batsman, though?

i'd imagine the lower center of gravity resulting from small height actually helps shorter batsmen to transfer their weight into certain shots (especially the front footed drives) with greater ease.

height, of course, enables one to negotiate the ones that take off after hitting the deck, but any good batsman should be able to get behind the short ball and fend it off,irrespective of vertical growth.
Old August 9, 2007, 01:32 PM
First Class Cricketer

Default Superstar....not yet

I heard about Junayed Siddique too....He played pretty good recently.
The Next 3 players upcoming recently

1. Junayed Siddique
2. Nadif Chowdury (Great allrounder-Will Eventually Replace rafique)
3. Dollar Mahmud (I am surprised why he havent got picked yet)

Junayed is Openar.....so he will be shuffled with Naffees/Tamim/Mehrab

The problem with our playes they get married pretty soon and lost their from.

SN Got married and Struggling
Aftab getting married this month(Oh No!!)
Remember Hannan Sarkar?? (He was a Promising one.....and got lost after married)
Old August 9, 2007, 01:33 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman

i'd imagine the lower center of gravity resulting from small height actually helps shorter batsmen to transfer their weight into certain shots (especially the front footed drives) with greater ease.

height, of course, enables one to negotiate the ones that take off after hitting the deck, but any good batsman should be able to get behind the short ball and fend it off,irrespective of vertical growth.

Its Depends....Sachin plays great with 5'4.....but look at Hayden with 6'5 How much Power he applies.
Old August 9, 2007, 01:52 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib , Tamim

Along with zunayed, Imtiaz also played a pivotal role for the Mohammedan's twenty20
championship. Can any body post Imtiaz statistics on that tournament please.
Old August 9, 2007, 05:14 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsd3
However, the point is Ashraful was engaged in that match in an incident when he complained Junaid left the field without enought reasons and he also said JS usually is sloth in fielding (doesn't want to spend long time on the field).
You got it right. he was a sloppy fielder, hopefully he corrected his mistake.
Quote:
Like Kapali, he's an excellent fielder.
This single line made the whole observation questionable.
He was overlooked for the last few series due to his poor fielding and he practiced hard to overcome the problem.

Link

About the batting technique, I am really impressed by your detailed description. You must travel a lot to watch domestic cricket as domestic cricket is not telecasted in BD. As you were not umpiring in those matches, you definitely take good binocular to watch batsman's every single feet movement, it is simply impossible to see them in detail from the stadium.

Last edited by Miraz; August 9, 2007 at 06:07 PM..
Old August 9, 2007, 05:57 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

Let see what he going to do against some quality bowling,
Old August 9, 2007, 06:03 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

I'm excited to watch him in SA Twenty-20 WC.
Old August 9, 2007, 10:09 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheous
I heard about Junayed Siddique too....He played pretty good recently.
The Next 3 players upcoming recently

1. Junayed Siddique
2. Nadif Chowdury (Great allrounder-Will Eventually Replace rafique)
3. Dollar Mahmud (I am surprised why he havent got picked yet)

Junayed is Openar.....so he will be shuffled with Naffees/Tamim/Mehrab

The problem with our playes they get married pretty soon and lost their from.

SN Got married and Struggling
Aftab getting married this month(Oh No!!)
Remember Hannan Sarkar?? (He was a Promising one.....and got lost after married)
Dollar is yet to turn 19. His domestic form has been reasonable but I think it's in his best interest to stay away from the spotlight a couple more years.
Old August 10, 2007, 01:37 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD-Shardul
No offense to Sohel Bhai, and other prolific writers of BC.

Sharp, literary, sesational, ...(Just remember countless articles that were published after Ash become the captain)...type of writing will not make any BD player superstar. Neither a glimse of talent or sudden flash like Ash. The thing that really makes or will make a player superstar is good stat. Not everyone may agree with it, this is thing I care most.
Exactly. Ash is still a crappy legspinner who can bat a bit, as he was in the beginning of his career.
Old August 10, 2007, 01:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire_x86
Exactly. Ash is still a crappy legspinner who can bat a bit, as he was in the beginning of his career.
For a moment I thought you were describing Alok Kapali there !!! I strongly disagree with the description of ashraful you have provided. He is the best we got and his performance is getting better. He now has 4 test hundreds to his name and his test match average has been on the rise for a while now albeit slowly.
Old August 10, 2007, 02:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by layperson
For a moment I thought you were describing Alok Kapali there !!! I strongly disagree with the description of ashraful you have provided. He is the best we got and his performance is getting better. He now has 4 test hundreds to his name and his test match average has been on the rise for a while now albeit slowly.
I agree, Ashraful's batting is slowly starting to mature. He will be our Brian Lara!
Old August 10, 2007, 02:29 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by layperson
If Lee, Warne or Vaas could repeated bat at the top order and spend the whole time in nets with batting practice, they would surely score few centuries after playing 38 tests.

Our team will always be full with some no hopers and some jodi-laigga-jai players. BD superstar = jodi-laigga-jai type of players
Old August 10, 2007, 02:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman

Amazingly complicated explanation there. Anyhow, in my opinion, being tall is an advantage in any sport. In cricket, the sheer height of tall batsman allow them to play back-foot shots, particularly the hook and the pull, better than any other batsman. No "center of gravity" or anything like that has anything to do with it.