facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 18, 2007, 08:03 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Default Tri Series and World Cup Warm Up Matches in the Caribbean : Bangladesh Must Build the Momentum

Tri Series and World Cup Warm Up Matches in the Caribbean : Bangladesh Must Build the Momentum
Khondaker Mirazur Rahman

Bangladesh is heading to Caribbeans on 20th February to participate in a tri-series involving Bangladesh and two associates Bermuda and Canada. This is considered as an acclimatising tour for Bangladesh, who will be playing Caribbean after almost three long years. The tri-series will be held at Antigua recreation ground and Bangladesh will play Bermuda on 25 February and will take on Canada on 28th. After the tri series Bangladesh will play against New Zealand on 5th March 2007 and Scotland on 8th March as part of the World Cup Warm up matches before featuring the Gala event starting from 13th March 2007. Both the matches will be played at Barbados.

Bangladesh played some good cricket over the last one year and surpassed their trivial rivals Zimbabwe and Kenya comfortably. Bangladesh Cricket is on the verge of entering the big league where they will pose continuous threats to every other country and is expected to win a match in their day against any opposition. Now, this transformation requires some excellence in every aspect of their game including the mindset. Coach Dav Whatmore injected some confidence into the squad and the mindset is slowly but gradually changing. It is the high time in the Caribbean to exhibit the change of mindset to the cricket world and make the transformation happen.

ICC tri-series involving Bermuda and Canada is the first opportunity to do that. Bangladesh has to make some records straight as they have mixed memories against these opposition. Undoubtedly, Canada inflicted the worst wound in the cricketing history of Bangladesh by defeating them in the last world cup at South Africa. Surprisingly, that's not the only time when they defeated Bangladesh, in the ICC trophy Bangladesh tasted one defeat against the same opposition and managed only one win in three encounters. Bangladesh played Bermuda twice in the ICC trophy level and manged to win one match while lost the other. Looking at the statistics, it is clear that there is no reason to take these oppositions lightly. Having said that, Bangladesh must establish their utmost superiority over these countries to make any impact in the world cup cricket 2007.

Bangladesh holds much better record against the leading minnow nations Zimbabwe and Kenya but the annoying fact is they never played these oppositions with a ruthless fashion which other top teams do. Bangladesh will be playing the tri-series in Antigua which is considered as the batting paradise of the Caribbeans. Canada and Bermuda has a less than decent bowling attack. All guns of Bangladesh team must utilize the opportunity in the best possible manner and show their might in the ruthless fashion by amassing huge total in both the matches. Same goes for the bowlers and they must distinguish themselves from ordinary attacks. Winning is important but a modest win against these oppositions will not add anything to Bangladesh's credit. Two thumping win will create some noise in the world cricket arena and draw some attention which Bangladesh badly needs in the upcoming world cup.

Bangladesh record against Bermuda and Canada in ICC trophy

Code:

P   W   L  T  NR    %  HS  LS  MC  LC BatAv BowAv R/6b C/6b

Vs Canada           2   1   1  0   0  50% 265 141 190 148  25.3  17.7 3.67 3.22
Vs Bermuda          2   1   1  0   0  50% 175  67 139 139  12.1  16.0 2.73 3.00
Bangladesh's record against Canada in the only ODI played

Code:

Vs Canada        1   0   1  0   0   0% 120 120 180 180  12.0  18.0 4.28 3.66

Bangladesh's record against New Zealand in ODI

Code:

unfiltered           147  31 114  0   2  21% 301  76 391 105  21.3  37.0 4.04 4.96
Vs New Zealand        7   0   7  0   0   0% 198  77 338 224  16.3  34.5 3.42 4.89
After the tri-series, Bangladesh will travel to lovely Barbados which has one of the most lively wickets of the Caribbeans. Bangladesh will find more similarity in wicket nature of Barbados and Trinidad compared to Antigua and Trinidad. At the same time, there will be some similarity in the strength of the oppositions. First warm up match against New Zealand is the most crucial affair for Bangladesh apart from the crucial world cup ties against India and Sri Lanka. Bangladesh failed miserably in all matches they played against New Zealand and never managed to cross even 200 in any of the seven matches played. After two and half years, it is the time to display some cricketing skill against the Kiwis and sneak a win to continue the momentum going. Even if, they fail to win, the match should be close enough to exhibit the change of gear, Bangladesh cricket made over the last one year. The cricket world will monitor this match closely as this will test Bangladesh's cricketing ability more than 10 matches against Zimbabwe or Kenya. The last practice match against Scotland must be another routine affair where Tigers will show their killing spree.

Photo : Tigers are keen to make an impact in the world cup. They must start their tour in the Caribbean with a bang.

Bangladesh failed to take the most ideal preparation for the world cup due to lack of matches against quality oppositions. Keeping that in mind, we must admit, Bangladesh managed to achieve the most from what was offered to them by the ICC. For the first time in their cricketing history, Bangladesh will be playing World Cup Cricket with the aim to reach the next round which their juniors achieved for the first time in last U-19 world cup. They have four one day matches to play, they must utilize these matches to build the momentum and reach the peak in right time. If they can do that, cricket world will experience a different Bangladesh who are ready to make a history.

(written this one for the front page, if Moderators/Administrators find it suitable, I am ready to make some editing (if required)

Last edited by Miraz; February 18, 2007 at 03:44 PM..

Old February 18, 2007, 08:18 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Great article Miraz bhai, speaks my mind. It's imperative that we convincingly win the tri-series. Warmup against NZ will be very tough, but we must at least put up a good fight.
Old February 18, 2007, 08:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Excellent writting! Yes, all we need is the 'KILLING' attitude from our team.
If you can add BD's face to face statistics vs. all these 4 opponants (chekout cricinfo), I think moderator should consider it for front page article.
Old February 18, 2007, 08:24 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sar2005
Excellent writting! Yes, all we need is the 'KILLING' attitude from our team.
If you can add BD's face to face statistics vs. all these 4 opponants (chekout cricinfo), I think moderator should consider it for front page article.
sar bhai, I have already added within the writing.

For your convenience --

Against Canada
Match Played 3 (2 ICC trophy and one ODI)
Match Won - 1 (in ICC trophy)
Match lost - 2

Against Bermuda
Match Played 2 ( ICC trophy)
Match Won - 1
Match lost - 1

Against New Zealand
Match Played 7
Match Won - 0
Match lost - 7

Or, you mean the detailed stats ?
Old February 18, 2007, 09:36 AM
Cricket Legend

I hope you did not think I missed those within your article
I meant some more detail like previous top score (team and individual), bowling performance etc. i.e.

- face to face team results with scores
- best batting performer (for both sides)
- best bowlling performer (for both sides)
Old February 18, 2007, 09:45 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sar2005
I hope you did not think I missed those within your article
I meant some more detail like previous top score (team and individual), bowling performance etc. i.e.

- face to face team results with scores
- best batting performer (for both sides)
- best bowlling performer (for both sides)
I will add these stats, if it is considered for publishing in the front page.
Old February 18, 2007, 11:55 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatebreed
Warmup against NZ will be very tough, but we must at least put up a good fight.
Much talk about our World Cup prospect will take a twist after this match.

I hope, it takes a twist in right direction for BD.
Old February 18, 2007, 01:04 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Good analysis Miraz bhai. Will be good for the column?
Old February 18, 2007, 01:34 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Good analysis Miraz bhai. Will be good for the column?
Nope, I wrote this as a prospective article.

Columns will not go through forums. They will be exclusively published on scheduled days.
Old February 18, 2007, 01:40 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Nope, I wrote this as a prospective article.

Columns will not go through forums. They will be exclusively published on scheduled days.
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that

If it's for a prospective article, I would suggest a bit more analysis of the numbers from previous WCs (like others have mentioned). But the article in itself is well written. Good job
Old February 18, 2007, 02:01 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that

If it's for a prospective article, I would suggest a bit more analysis of the numbers from previous WCs (like others have mentioned).
Kabir bhai,

This article is a preview of the tri series and warm up matches, not the preview of the world cup as a whole. That's a separate one.

I am adding some more stats as you and others pointed.
Old February 18, 2007, 02:12 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Kabir bhai,

This article is a preview of the tri series and warm up matches, not the preview of the world cup as a whole. That's a separate one.

I am adding some more stats as you and others pointed.
Oops, my bad. I was confusing myself...ঘুম থেকে উঠার সাথে সাথে পড়াশুনা করলে যা হয় আর কি
Old February 18, 2007, 03:36 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Stats against the opponents of tri series (Bermuda and Canada) and New Zealand added.
Old February 18, 2007, 05:11 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Here's the official photograph of the Tigers, the faces are looking quite positive and determined.

Last edited by Miraz; February 19, 2007 at 05:06 PM..
Old February 18, 2007, 11:49 PM

Miraz bhai: Could you pls. post the schedule for the tri series kindly. Much thanks.
Old February 19, 2007, 05:00 AM

Nice read Miraz, looking forward for the final stage one.
Old February 19, 2007, 06:09 AM
First Class Cricketer

Good thought about tri series. Warm-up match against NZ will be too tough. They are at their top right this moment.
Old February 19, 2007, 11:27 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

why is there only two games in the tri-series? they wont play any final match or some thing? or its just round -robin thing where most win gets you the cup?
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old February 19, 2007, 01:22 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
why is there only two games in the tri-series? they wont play any final match or some thing? or its just round -robin thing where most win gets you the cup?
I guess there is no cup to win. The tri-series is a part of the ICC policy to expose associate countries against the test playing countries.

Associates are getting some ODI matches in this way.
Old February 19, 2007, 09:30 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrina
Good thought about tri series. Warm-up match against NZ will be too tough. They are at their top right this moment.
good for us...the last thing i want is a warm up match against a weak team, like we've had all year long...

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 20, 2007, 05:44 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Even though every single of this warm ups are very important, i think the match against the in form NZ would give us a much clear picture of our chances in the cup.

NZ has been in mighty form of late, handing Australia a 3-0 drubbing in thier soil.
All their players seemed to have picked at the right time and our boys would be tested very heavily on that match.

Also, this would give us one final chance to play with some quality opponent and have a real reality check before the game rather than the false hopes of winning against the minnows.

If we can manage to perform very well in that game, or even win, the whole shape of the world cup could take a dramatic chance.

Beside the obvious, i think only Bangladesh has a great chance to provide some sparks and firework in the cup. IF they manage to go the next round, not only they'll knock one of the contendors of the cup ( hopefully india), but that would change the whole scenario of the tournament as well.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old February 20, 2007, 12:32 PM
Street Cricketer

great article!!
Old February 21, 2007, 06:53 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Here are the Canada and Bermuda teams for the World Cup and tri-series,

Canada
JM Davison
A Bagai
KT Sandher
DR Chumney
GEF Barnett
U Bhatti
IS Billcliff
A Codrington
GR Codrington
AC Cummins
AA Mulla
H Osinde
Qaiser Ali
AM Samad
S Dhaniram

Bermuda
IH Romaine
DA Minors
DC Borden
LO Cann
DL Hemp
K Hurdle
M Jones
S Kelly
DM Leverock
S Mukuddem
SD Outerbridge
OL Pitcher
CJ Smith
JJ Tucker
Kwame Tucker

I hope, this time Bangladesh play the plumber Codrington from Canada carefully. This guy can bowl at off stump line.
Old February 21, 2007, 07:20 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Quote:
I hope, this time Bangladesh play the plumber Codrington from Canada carefully. This guy can bowl at off stump line.
which guy?
Old February 21, 2007, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

i heart new zealand, but they are overrated. give them a slower and lower WI pitch, and they will be back to their old selves; maybe not against us, but probably against stronger teams.

they're my second team in this world cup, nevertheless.