facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old March 17, 2013, 12:32 PM
Test Cricketer

Don't get me wrong. I am not suggesting that Android is the best and should be the only choice for everyone to use, like a crazy fanboy. I wouldn't wanna live in a world where everyone uses the same thing because thats the only choice they have. Far from it.

People should use whatever they wanna use as long as they enjoy using it and it supplements their life.

But I like to point out misinformation (albeit unintentional) when I see one.

Anyone who has done some kind of mid-level programming in their life will tell you there is no such thing as "bug-free" software. If a software has been coded by a human being, and even if it is open-source and has been under development for 20 years, it has bugs.

iOS is not immune to it. Even widely popular Linux kernel, with 1000s of developers and millions of lines of codes and with the open source nature of its development, it still has 100s (if not 1000s) of unfixed, years old bugs. Thats just how complicated big, software project works. Both iOS and Android are similarly large software, so obviously it has bugs, probably many more than it has been publicly reported or even known.

Now to address specifically the droid bug you mentioned. Because of the nature of how Android eco-system works (open-source with independent phone manufacturers putting own junk on top of AOSP (Android Open Source Project)) will create its own sets of bugs that has nothing to do with Android, but everything to do with what motorola did with android.

So to put it simply, this is most likely not an android bug, but a hardware/software bug that is specific to phone sets manufactured by motorola with that specific version of android.

Each Android phone manufacturers can wildly differ from one another, because Android OS allows it to be extensibly re-skinned to the point that you can't even tell if its an android. To give an example, in theory, it is possible to make an android phone look and work like iOS or Windows 8 phone without much trouble at all.

At present there are only a few "pure" Android phones out there that has un-adulterated Android OS experience, which are usually the first to get updates before anyone else does. They are called "Nexus" phones.

http://www.google.com/nexus/

Old March 19, 2013, 04:36 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

FFS! why S4 releasing uk in so late? still 7 weeks i want it now. had enough with this crappy BB
Old March 19, 2013, 05:01 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

RIP Blackberry. Ekbar chilo eto baje phone life o use kori nai.
Old March 19, 2013, 05:06 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

gorib manush bhai
Old March 19, 2013, 05:09 PM
Cricket Savant

blah perhaps a simple company name would have sufficed?
Old March 19, 2013, 08:17 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
gorib manush bhai
aajkal Blackberry theke valo phone (new) £100 er niche kinte pawa jay. That BBMessage over hyped Blackberry. Phone hacking and the riot killed it in UK.
Old March 19, 2013, 10:42 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
blah perhaps a simple company name would have sufficed?
bujlam na.
Old March 19, 2013, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah
bujlam na.
He has a hard time reading more than one line.

PS: That was a good informative post for the folks. I've been toying with getting a pure android phone/tablet on the side - am gravitating towards the Nexus 7. I have the new iPad but it's form factor doesn't work for me doing bed-time reading. I catch myself using my iphone to read in bed but as .... The Nexus 7 seems to be the perfect solution - meets my needs without denting my wallet like the iPad mini. As you can tell - I am OS agnostic though in the mobile platform and as a consumer as long as my needs are met I do not give a rodent's rear end. As a developer - my preferred environment would be Unix/Linux and I do most of my Data Sciences heavy lifting in Java (enterprise text analytics r&d and product development that often is dealing with terabytes of data). Hadoop is my friend.
Old March 19, 2013, 11:23 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid

PS: That was a good informative post for the folks. I've been toying with getting a pure android phone/tablet on the side - am gravitating towards the Nexus 7. I have the new iPad but it's form factor doesn't work for me doing bed-time reading. I catch myself using my iphone to read in bed but as .... The Nexus 7 seems to be the perfect solution - meets my needs without denting my wallet like the iPad mini.
If you are going for a pure reading experience, hands-down, Kindle e-link is the best device out there without constant distraction by push notifications or fancy graphics. Also lights from electronic devices (before sleep) will lower your melatonin level and screw with your natural circadian rhythm.

I just love my kindle, ever since I got one I have been reading a lot more books/articles. Battery life is a killer too, I charge maybe once or twice a month.

Quote:
As you can tell - I am OS agnostic though in the mobile platform and as a consumer as long as my needs are met I do not give a rodent's rear end. As a developer - my preferred environment would be Unix/Linux and I do most of my Data Sciences heavy lifting in Java (enterprise text analytics r&d and product development that often is dealing with terabytes of data). Hadoop is my friend.
Woah! I am more of a self-taught, hobbyist, noob programmer so I don't get to play with big data like you. Sounds interesting.
Old March 19, 2013, 11:42 PM
Administrator

We have the kindle in the family but doesn't work for my eyes. I need the backlit display.
Old March 20, 2013, 12:05 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
We have the kindle in the family but doesn't work for my eyes. I need the backlit display.
Kindle Paperwhite has LED backlight.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Paperwh.../dp/B007OZNZG0

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...t-reading.html
Old March 21, 2013, 10:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Galaxy S4 is ok. But my S3 already does everything I need it to do, so don't see why I need to change it. Unless I break mine or give it away to a cousin I don't see myself upgrading. HTC One looks like a solid phone though, would have been better if their camera was better instead of pre-processing image they should have gone for a higher resolution.

As someone who have used every iphones in the market since the beginning and extensively used iPhone 5 (my brother uses it), I just can't see the appeal of iphone over a premium android phone other than "Oh look its an iphone".

To name some of the things that you can do with android phone but can't with iphone:

- Changing battery. Bad battery or during long off-the-grid journey doesn't mean dead phone or taking your phone to apple store, you just swipe your battery. Many people might not know this but lithium polymer based battery self-life starts to drop after 12 months, meaning your batter can hold charge for shorter period of time.

- Depending on the android phone, you can actually add a larger battery with custom casing, the battery fits inside the shell as opposed to outer body expensive battery chargers for iphone.

- Micro SD. With higher resolution camera and ever growing apps size (because of higher resolution displays) its a crime to not be able to increase your storage size. Its almost a scam to pay for a larger flash sized phone with premium price for more space. Built-in flash storage will almost always will be more expensive than micro-SD. Imagine your iphone is broken/died everything is lost. With MIcroSD, you can retrieve it (if you store everything there, which I do) and just pop it on another phone.

- How many of you actually do physical backup, which can take an insane amount of time if you have many files. Iphone5 proprietary cord (lightning connector) has a slower transfer rate than a usb3 cable which all android phone support/uses. Its easier faster to backup/transfer from an android phone than from an iphone.

- NFC tags. A god send for power-users. Basically you can program your phone to automatically do custom things, depending your location or where or how you place your phone without any manual input. To give an example, you can put an NFC tag by your bed side table, so when you go to bed and put your phone on the bedside table it will automatically (pre-programmed) non-distracting un-necessary items like turning off notification, turn on alarm etc etc. There are like a million way you can set it up, like in your car, in your office.

- App updated for the same app will almost always come to android app-store eco system than on iphone. because iphone has a very large set of restrictions on what kind of apps your can install, and what your apps can or can-not do. And not all of these restriction are security related, they are control related. So lets say tomorrow, they don't like the recent changes you made on your app (which is used by many) they can totally ban you from the app store and users can't install it on their iphone, without seriously breaking it (jailbreak is far from perfect and doesn't work on all versions). With android you can download the apk from the developer and side load it if google play store decides to block it (which happens but rare)

- Android OS is frequently updated, with large features added in every major changes.

- Skinning your android OS means every android doesn't have to look and work the same way. There are literally 100s of ways you skin customize the way your android looks. In an iphone world every phone looks and works exactly the same way, to top it off the OS pretty much looks the same since it was first released 5 years ago.

- Better notification center and no its not a question of having subjective taste/opinion. Its just better in every way.

- Wireless charging. While a little gimmicky feature. Its an example of individual android manufacturing adding features unique to their hardware, and differentiating them from others.

- True multi-tasking with Galaxy phones.

- For powerusers, rooting for android phone and using custom ROMs, for more options, choices and customizations. to give some examples; you can increase your processor clock speed or decrease it for even better battery life, use custom kernels, or even use it as a passive wireless sniffer to crack wifi passwords and all kind of crazy stuff...

On the other hand there are very few things an iphone can do that an android can't. I really can't think of any major feature, so feel free to help me out.

Here is another side of the story....

You should never do a comparison between an ecosystem with multiple phones with different features (Android) and an ecosystem with a single product (IOS).

However You can do a comparison between 2 Smart Phones, since the features you mentioned is a combined advantage of all android phones and no one will own multiple phones...

example
- Top of the line HTC One and Sony xperia sets are generally unibody so no way one can change the battery

- Microsoft has managed to design the OS to be very fast and efficient on single-core processors allowing the UI to be fast and smooth while assisting the GPU with games, graphics and some great multimedia work, same is true for IOS but Android being an open source is not the most efficient and hence needs faster processors for the same fluid experience.
This in turn increases the cost of production and decreases the battery life

- Physical backup is all well and good but in this era of cloud computing I really dont see think SD cards are as important as you are making it sound

- Using different skins and customizing has its advantages as well as disadvantages. It takes much longer for an average non technical user to adapt to an android set than IOS or windows phone.

- Wireless charging and NFC are both gimmicks with very little use at present. Nokia Lumia introduced wireless charging and the capability exist for an additional hardware on Apple and Blackberry products too.. However it takes an eternity to charge so this is just a gimmick. And I hardly see transactions using NFC ( never heard of one tbh). And sharing can be done with other modes also (bluetooth/wifi etc). And the touch sharing using NFC on samsung is only compatible with another samsung... So a gimmick

- Apple IOS apps are customised for Tablets and phones, Android apps are hardly customized. Hence while nexus tabs offer better resolution but most apps cannot take advantage of this feature.
Old March 21, 2013, 02:34 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
Here is another side of the story....

You should never do a comparison between an ecosystem with multiple phones with different features (Android) and an ecosystem with a single product (IOS).
Of course you can. The same way you can compare a OSX running on Apple hardware vs Windows running on multiple PC manufacturers (with additional software/hardware installed by the manufacturers). Nothing is stopping Apple to license their OS for other manufacturers to sell devices. Apple doen't use any magical proprietary hardware that iOS won't be able to run, they chose not to do it. If I follow your logic, the only phone you can compare an iPhone to is the new Blackberry OS; thats just silly.

I didn't pick and choose features from multiple android devices, 90% of the things I mentioned are available on premium Android phones, one way or another.

The reason why Windows beat Apple during the PC race is exactly the same reason why Android will eventually make iOS obsolete, if they stay the path of walled garden. I have read Steve Jobs/Wozniak biography and some more on the PC revolution, this is exactly how apple got knocked out of the game the first time around. This time there is no Steve Jobs (unfortunately) to rescue them.

Given better or equal options people will almost always prefer multiple choices over 'one solution for all'.

Unless they do something drastically different they will soon start playing catch up.

I am not rooting for Android to win, or like to take any side, I am rooting for an open system to win; and Android is the only notable mobile open system out there right now. There is also, Ubuntu and Firefox OS on mobile devices (recently announced) but they have a long way to go before they can be taken seriously as an open system.

Quote:
example
- Top of the line HTC One and Sony xperia sets are generally unibody so no way one can change the battery
Quite a few android devices (including nexus devices) don't have an option to change batteries. Guess what people who needs to swap battery can always get an android device that allows them to, and people who doesn't need one can settle for a unibody device. Android gives you that option to choose, iphone doesn't. Because not every single person is the same and they don't use their phone the same way. HTC and Sony are hardly big players in Android marketshare, even though I would love to see HTC succeed.

Quote:
- Microsoft has managed to design the OS to be very fast and efficient on single-core processors allowing the UI to be fast and smooth while assisting the GPU with games, graphics and some great multimedia work, same is true for IOS but Android being an open source is not the most efficient and hence needs faster processors for the same fluid experience.
This in turn increases the cost of production and decreases the battery life
This is all very very very wrong.

The best Windows 8 phone right now, a Lumia 920, has a dual core system, but still pushes less pixels than a premium android phone (both in density and resolution). higher density pixels means you need powerful GPU/CPU to push them for a fluid experience. This is also true for iphone 5. A premium Android phone pushes more pixels and resolution than iphone 5.

This sentence is flat out "Android being an open source is not the most efficient and hence needs faster processors for the same fluid experience." misinformation.

There is a bit of marketing going on here.

Samsung is a GIANT tech company with their own processor fabrication plant, there are one of the few companies in the world who can produce/fabricate is such volume the type of ARM processors that most mobile devices use today. A lot of iphone/ipad processors an parts used by apple are manufactured by Samsung (to apple specifications of-course). Not only does Samsung makes a line of ARM-based processors that are some of the best in the world, they are in a position to really push the envelope in these types of processor. And they do it with lots of gutso.

So going back to my marketing point, whenever I buy a new PC, I want to make sure that the new one has better/bigger/faster specs than my old computer; whether I need it is different story. So PC manufacturers in each new year basically used to make a new PC with bigger/better/faster specs whether you need it or not.

So little bit of that goes in to Android phone when they are selling a new device, their rational is that with higher specs developers will somehow make unique apps to take advantage of that much power. They don't loose anything with putting more powerful processors, because the newer generation of processors, while being more powerful, are less power hungry because with newer/smaller fabrication process (smaller nanometer) less power leakage and more efficient and in the long run cheaper to make. they do have the bragging right for being the first company to push the envelope in processor technology on mobile devices.

If you are more specifically referring to BIG.Little ARM architecture on S4 phones, it has nothing to do with android needing more processor to run, but a little bit of marketing, (being the first phone to use this architecture in the world) a lot of power saving because of smaller nm fabrication and business sense because now every other mobile manufacturers are going to buy this type processor from Samsung, because they are one of the few companies in the world who can make it.

Its all business...

If you want to go bit by bit, android has lowest system requirements out of all the leading mobile OS out there. Android is based on Linux kernel, and one of the reason why Linux is so widely used on server market is because of its smaller footprint and low spec requirements.

Quote:
- Physical backup is all well and good but in this era of cloud computing I really dont see think SD cards are as important as you are making it sound
You probably meant cloud storage, not cloud computing. Tell you what good luck syncing/backing up your very high resolution images, videos with tiered mobile data plans. If you are always close to wifi for bakup, you are an exception, not the norm. What happens when you have filled up your internal storage? You have to delete stuff to make more space and must have access to cloud service to view existing images/videos (which by the way is not unlimited), over a tiered data plan from your mobile service provider.

I would have agreed with you if only unlimited mobile data plans were normal.

Quote:
- Using different skins and customizing has its advantages as well as disadvantages. It takes much longer for an average non technical user to adapt to an android set than IOS or windows phone.
Hearsay. Skins obviously has a lot of interest and market, one of the most popular theming app has more than 100 million downloads. Thats just one app. nothing to laugh about: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...uncherex&hl=en

I personally don't use theme, just use whatever it comes with.

Quote:
- Wireless charging and NFC are both gimmicks with very little use at present. Nokia Lumia introduced wireless charging and the capability exist for an additional hardware on Apple and Blackberry products too.. However it takes an eternity to charge so this is just a gimmick. And I hardly see transactions using NFC ( never heard of one tbh). And sharing can be done with other modes also (bluetooth/wifi etc). And the touch sharing using NFC on samsung is only compatible with another samsung... So a gimmick
I did say wireless charging is gimmicky. NFC is a relatively a new tech on mobile devices, and it is very popular in power-users and home auto-mation market. Thats the beauty of Android, it caters towards all types of users, not only one type.

Quote:
- Apple IOS apps are customised for Tablets and phones, Android apps are hardly customized. Hence while nexus tabs offer better resolution but most apps cannot take advantage of this feature.
This is mostly true, and it was a big part of android design teams fault for not defining design standard for tablet devices; because android wasn't officially made for a tablet device until recently. But that is obviously changing, and very fast too.

Also you are not right about iOS apps being customized for tabs and phones, only NEW iOS apps are since I think iphone 4s, I think they added new API/design standard in the last 1-2 years to change that to make sure that they work the same way in all kind of device. Before this change iphone apps used to work on small size on iPads. Like this.

I think the better informed you are as a consumer, the better choice you can make or deal with misinformation or regurgitated talking point. I see a lot of points you made are the same one made by Apple fan boys, it helps to check to see how many of them are actually true or just misinformation.
Old March 21, 2013, 03:12 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
I am not rooting for Android to win, or like to take any side, I am rooting for an open system to win....
Just curious how does your girlfriend feel about this.
Old March 21, 2013, 03:38 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
Just curious how does your girlfriend feel about this.
Either I don't have a good sense of humor or you are really bad with jokes.
Old March 21, 2013, 03:44 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Either I don't have a good sense of humor or you are really bad with jokes.
Thanks I will keep this in mind when next time I am in the store --- WHILE READING YOUR DISSERTATION ON WHICH PHONE IS THE BEST.

You, sir, made my day.
Old March 21, 2013, 09:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Hi Blah,
I wont go into details about each of the points you made. I do concede on the point where I mentioned that faster processors need more battery.... However I still believe that you should compare two separate phones instead of 1 phone against an entire ecosystem consisting multiple phones. On a separate note I do believe S4 is a better device than Apple iphone.

Also I never denied the versatility of Android OS .

Lastly cloud storage on a good wifi network should not run the risk of running your data options dry. And buying additional space on cloud is same as buying an external SD card. Cloud computing in general makes you more mobile and is the future in my opinion.
Old March 25, 2013, 03:23 PM
Cricket Legend

I highly recommend the new HTC One... This is the first HTC which I like tbh... I hated Sense UI but this new one looks awesome.. the build quality is amazing. Maximum resolution compared to any smartphones in market atm (461 pixels per inch)... Camera comparable to Nokia Lumia i.e Great in low light condition. Beats audio...

Does not have some of the features present in Samsung S4 but I would still choose HTC only because I will probably never use those added Samsung features anyways tbh.. And this will be cheaper also.

The phone is scheduled to be launched soon.
Old March 26, 2013, 04:46 AM
Test Cricketer

Yeah, HTC One is probably best looking android phone I have seen so far. The camera, is actually the only negative point of the phone, because they do a lot of preprocessing on the software side to make up for low pixel density it doesn't look as good when you compare with pictures with other phones. I think I saw the comparison on The Verge review. So if you take a lot of picture with your phone and care about decent quality (which I do), this is probably not the phone for you.

Other than that, a very solid looking phone.
Old March 26, 2013, 03:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Yeah, HTC One is probably best looking android phone I have seen so far. The camera, is actually the only negative point of the phone, because they do a lot of preprocessing on the software side to make up for low pixel density it doesn't look as good when you compare with pictures with other phones. I think I saw the comparison on The Verge review. So if you take a lot of picture with your phone and care about decent quality (which I do), this is probably not the phone for you.

I still havent played with the phone, but given the low mega pixel I think you are correct with your assesment on the time (lag) with picture taking. The processing however makes the picture look better compared to other phone cameras...

I do take a lot of pictures but not using phone, since only Nokia 808 Pureview is comparable to good point and shoot camera in the market. The phone camera still has a long way to go before it can replace my regular camera....
Old March 26, 2013, 04:07 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

all my phones so far ......

1. SE T 100
2. SE K 700i
3. SE K 790i
4. SE W 910i
5. SE Xperia X1
6. SE Xperia Arc S
Old March 26, 2013, 09:30 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

12 more days till I upgrade! Can't wait! GS 4
Old March 27, 2013, 06:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5HM8MHkL3c

watch after 12 minutes...
Old March 27, 2013, 08:32 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5HM8MHkL3c

watch after 12 minutes...
Surely you don't depend on the product manufacturer's overtly adjective laden unveiling of their premium product, as a source of fair and balanced review?

You want an unbiased review, you check out third party reviews; not from the guy who actually designed and made the stuff.

There are a lot of decent reviews out there, but I liked the one on "The Verge":

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/11/40...htc-one-review

Check out the Camera section with sample pictures from the camera.
Old March 27, 2013, 08:49 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

My last two phnes...I tried selling them...nobody wants to take a second look...