facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 30, 2005, 12:58 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default Passing the milestone: Our attitude towards umpiring needs to be changed

Upto now, whenever we got close to a match playing brilliantly but lost, what we have been saying to ourselves is that this umpire was bad, that umpire was bad, or this umpire gave too many bad decisions against us, that umpire gave too many bad decisions against us etc.

I think from now on, since we have passed a great milestone in beating Australia, we should change this attitude of ours of blaming umpires and their decisions, no matter how poor their decisions are.

From now on, we should take the blames to ourselves and tell ourselves that we may have played very well, but it was 'just not good enough' to beat a stronger side than ours.

When we beat Australia, in that match, umpire gave Guilchrist out in the first over off the bowling of Mashrafee, even though the ball was going over the stumps. After the match was finished, I never read anywhere where this bad umpiring decision was mentioned showing as an excuse for losing to us. So why should we?

Instead, from now on, what we can start to do is blame our own players for not doing the basics right, for not playing the right shot at the right time, for not being able to catch a crucial catch at the time when we needed it etc.

Also, from now on, what we can do is we need to see a change in attitude among our players, whether they're playing their debut match for Bangladesh or they're playing their last match for Bangladesh. Did you notice that Sujon was not concentrating hard enough to gather a ball while fielding? Well, what we need is to inject a much stronger attitude in our youngsters so that when they play their last International cricket match for Bangladesh in 10 years, or 15 years' time - that they will not think about retiring when they're on the field.

I know that all the changes that I'm saying here will be a bit difficult for everybody, including myself, but this is what I think should be done from here on.

Old June 30, 2005, 01:02 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

i agree with this. we should not make ourselves look petty with the silly outbursts about umpiring anymore. of course its frustrating, but we'll get decision going our way as well. just like any other country. our team is too good to depend on umpires in order to win games.
Old June 30, 2005, 01:05 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

There are still gonna be more decisions that will make me scratch my head. Any way i agree with you Umps dont play the games the players do.
Old June 30, 2005, 01:05 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by fwullah

When we beat Australia, in that match, umpire gave Guilchrist out in the first over off the bowling of Mashrafee, even though the ball was going over the stumps. After the match was finished, I never read anywhere where this bad umpiring decision was mentioned showing as an excuse for losing to us. So why should we?
by the way, hawkeye is not very accurate...it is just an estimation...so you cannot say that Gilchrist got a bad decision even though the ball seemed to be going over the stumps as per hawkeye.

on the other hand, the decisions that went against us were truly bad...you did not have to rely on estimation to determine that the decision was faulty. So I think Athar Ali was correct in pointing out the mistakes of the umpires during the live telecast because someone should protest as the players surely can't.
Old June 30, 2005, 01:33 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
on the other hand, the decisions that went against us were truly bad...you did not have to rely on estimation to determine that the decision was faulty. So I think Athar Ali was correct in pointing out the mistakes of the umpires during the live telecast because someone should protest as the players surely can't.
Yes, I agree that Atahar was correct in pointing out mistakes, as he's the lone commentator speaking for us in the International media.

But it is us fans who need to change our own thinking pattern.

As I said, it'll take time to completely think like that. All I'm saying that we should 'start' it now - here.
Old June 30, 2005, 01:57 PM
ODI Cricketer

Yes Gilchrist was unlucky and so was Rafique for not getting a genuine LBW (Hear Ian Botham's comment on that one).. So, it is not at all one sided bad decisions. Historically, we have had bad decisions at critical juncture of a game and that was like a big kick on the stomach when we were already down.

Nevertheless, bad umpiring decision have cost us games and may cost us a game or two (specially the ones that will be close). So, I don't know whether I would just give credit to the "better team" in those occassions.

It is when we win convincingly it becomes irrelevant. For instance our 8 wicket series win against Zimbabwe within 33 overs or the 5 wicket win against Australia.

But think about a scenario, where we only have 2 wickets in hand 3 balls and need 4 runs to win and two LBWs are given against Bangladesh (hypothetically speaking), you still want the supporter and the team to be Chivalrous? I can't ! I am a human being and more importantly a TIGERs fan

Azim
Quote:
Originally posted by fwullah
-stuff deleted for clarity
Old June 30, 2005, 02:06 PM
Cricket Legend

It would be nice if we could change out mentality on our own.
But I think such resolution does not help changing mentality.
This mentality will change only when our team starts to win matches regularly and only when the outcome of the match will not be depended on one or two favorable/adverse incidents. Teams like Australia have the strength to turn any match upside down with their own strength and outcome of their match does not solely depend on some favorable/adverse incidents. So when one or two bad decisions go against them, it does not affect outcome of their whole effort—they have many more weapons in their armory to engineer the outcome of any match. But for teams like us, we perform marginally; we win matches just once in a while when many factors click together on a very fine day. To win a match, we still need all the factors to work on our favor. We still do not have that many match winning performers in our team to control outcome of the match at any condition. Until our team achieves the power to control match outcome without the help of so many other third party factors, out supporters will continue to whine about all the things that did not came to our way—including umpiring. Our success is still depended on these factors to a great extent and thus supporters will rightfully continue to blame umpires for not giving the decision in our favor.
Old June 30, 2005, 10:42 PM
Cricket Legend

From what i saw the umpires were great. The Bangladeshis had a lot of close appeals that were not out and the umpires didnt give them. So you cant blame the umpires for anything in this match.