facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 5, 2005, 09:31 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default Opinion (Poll): Reason behind Bangladesh Team\'s inconsistency...

The ups and downs of performance of Bangladesh cricket team is almost becoming legendary. At times, they make us unbelievably proud by showing some real nerves and setting up high standard. And then again... they all come down to become a bunch of commoners who hardly look professional in the game!

All they present us with is disbelief ... either in good (when they kill a giant) or bad (when they play so ordinary against a minnow even) way.

The reason behind this shocking fluctuation must be something quite strong... which surely will not go away in short time. I fear, consistency is a ‘Culture’ which is itself rare in the socio-cultural structure of most of the Subcontinental Countries. And this lack predictability which is a part of the culture of countries like Bangladesh... carries itself into it’s sports as well.

I tried here to note down the sole reasons behind BD’s hardship to maintain a steady standard in Cricket.

What do you think is the prime reason behind BD’s inconsistency?
Do you have a different opinion?
Please mention.

Edited on, September 6, 2005, 5:10 PM GMT, by Ahmed_B.

Old September 5, 2005, 09:54 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

If you choose the 'Combination' option.. please mention the reasons u think are responsible.

Thanks.
Old September 5, 2005, 10:13 AM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
I fear, consistency is a ‘Culture’ which is itself rare in the socio-cultural structure of most of the Subcontinental Countries.
cricwizard had also raised the point of the 'national character' reflecting in the way in which a cricket team does. Thus the cricket teams of Pakistan are generally indisciplined and impetuous, West Indians are carefree and careless, England teams are often dull with hardly a player who moves away from the conventional and Bangladeshi and Indian teams are meek.

It is often an outstanding captain - as a leader of men, but not necessarily as a tactician - who has made a difference in this general nature. Recent examples would be Imran, Ranatunga and Ganguly. It is like the concept of the tipping point, where one person or event causes a dramatic change in the way things are done. I think it is only the captain who can cause the change - great players like SRT in the 1990s and Lara now, despite being influential figures, have had little control over how the team does.

In ten or fifteen years, in the normal course of events, Bangladesh should move towards the middle of the table to where New Zealand and West Indies are now. But for something more than that there need to be someone who does things in a very different way. I can't see anyone who is remotely like that among the current players.

Edited on, September 6, 2005, 4:45 AM GMT, by Tintin.
Old September 5, 2005, 10:21 AM
Test Cricketer

good insightful thought by tintin.
I just like to add that professionalism is an aspiration that should drive all good sportsmen. If that cannot be done then bring in passion and patriotism. Sadly, Bangladesh cricket team is lacking all of them.
Old September 5, 2005, 11:25 AM
Banned

combination of most of the reasons plus...
we have "overreactive adrenalin glands" (not clinicaly proven yet) as a nation which could be even observed and evident in this forum.
Old September 5, 2005, 11:59 AM
Club Cricketer

since bangladesh gained test status we used 42, yes fourty two playes so far.
among them 8 playes only played one test match.
now thats a lot of player turnover.

god knows whats the reason behind it............

surely if our selectors thing the players are good enough to be in national side or play test matches we need to stick with the palyers and give them more oppourtunity than just one matches to prove their selection or place in the team
Old September 5, 2005, 12:52 PM
Test Cricketer

We'll be labelled as the next unpredictable team after Pakistan in the future.
Old September 5, 2005, 03:27 PM
ODI Cricketer

New theory from our coach Dav ..

read this http://www.prothom-alo.net/v1/newhtm...ate=2005-09-06
Old September 5, 2005, 04:48 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

domestic structure... they r not use to play good day in day out so they play wonderfully one day then goes to sleep for 20 days... If they were playing for say abahani and played like this would be kicked out from the team....

They don't know the basics of cricket... one trys to hook a bowler like pollack after he got the wkt in the same over!!there is no rule that on can't do it but u have to under stand the situation and that's the basic of cricket
Old September 5, 2005, 09:44 PM
Test Cricketer

There is another thing to ponder. Why BD does not have any olympic medalist of any kind? We have passon for football and cricket (and even ha doo doo which we loose regularly to Nepal) but there is no systematic approach to nurturing and harvesting the talent. We have so many rivers and ponds but no world class swimmers. World class talents just dont drop from the heaven. We have to sow seeds and work it to produce fruits. We have a passon but there is an unwillingnes for long term investments.

Edited on, September 6, 2005, 2:49 AM GMT, by LateCut.
Old September 6, 2005, 02:40 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Tintin
In ten or fifteen years, in the normal course of events, Bangladesh should move towards the middle of the table to where New Zealand and West Indies are now.
Considering current form of other teams... BD can go ahead of Jimbabwe and West indies... and may be Pakistan.

Going ahead of that anymore will need some serious advancement and consistancy. The team looks like in a bit of botheration lately. I'm not really sure.
Old September 6, 2005, 02:53 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

There need to be a poll spot for "all of the above".
Old September 6, 2005, 05:27 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

Quote:
Originally posted by Cats_eye
yeah, suppose for those who fail to understand the meaning and implication of ANY of the given options ?
Old September 7, 2005, 02:23 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash,Rafiq,Wasim,Lee,Inzy

I voted for the last option-
It’s not time yet to start looking for reasons... they need more time.
Old September 7, 2005, 11:20 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Cats_eye

Are you giving me the credit of being able to identify all the reasons for BD's bad performance?!
Thanks... Someone please bring me the application form to demand the Coaching Spot for BD national team!!

Jokes aside... someone who will say 'all of the above' is probably confused about the prime reasons.. so he/she will vote for 'All'.

You can still chose 'Combination of more than one' option and mention that you mean all of those.
Old September 7, 2005, 11:41 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Yes, these boys are young and will do better in the future, but there are problems. We should get better in a faster pace. 1st we did not have the talent. but now we do. Yet the progress is slow. I am not saying beating SL right now but just to be competitive. Thats all I ask.
Credit should be given where the credit is due. You have identified the major problems. Each has its merit. Lacking in one would not solve BD's poor performance.
So there should be a poll for "All of the above/below"
We are all frustrated but still hanging on a thread hoping Ash will do something amazing.
Old September 7, 2005, 12:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

All the reasons mentioned above have some contributions to our poor performance on cricket . To me the 2 most major reasons are

1.Lack of ambition as a Cultural Inheritance.
2.Lack of Confidence as a Cultural Inheritance.

Wothout solving these two problems, you cannot solve other problems but i have no idea how to solve this.

I also want to add another Reason:

* LACK OF ABILITY OR UNITY TO PLAY FOR THE BETTERMENT OF THE TEAM INSTEAD OF PLAYING TO RETAIN THE PLACE IN THE TEAM. WE ALSO GET THIS KIND OF THINKING FROM CULTURAL INHERITANCE.
Old September 7, 2005, 12:36 PM
Test Cricketer

reasons of inconsiistencies are:

ASH, Aftab,Nafees, Masree, Shahadat, Russel and others inconsistencies..

And the solutions are them also..

I keep my fingers crossed..

Edited on, September 7, 2005, 5:36 PM GMT, by abu_akif.
Old September 7, 2005, 04:43 PM
Cricket Sage

Khaise.... mosha marte Kaman Daga?

The reallity is they are not good enough yet to meet our unrealistic expectation.....may be we need to readjust our unrealistic expectation for this team.
Old September 7, 2005, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Fazal
Khaise.... mosha marte Kaman Daga?

The reallity is they are not good enough yet to meet our unrealistic expectation.....may be we need to readjust our unrealistic expectation for this team.
may be there are lots of mosha but we don't have kaman....
need to go back to basics.... moshari.
Old September 7, 2005, 10:31 PM
Test Cricketer

I chose combination of reasons: (1) domestic infrastructure; (2) lack of proper coaching at the early stage; and (3) grooming players to be professionals.
I would stretch the 3rd factor as such we should teach the 7-13-years-old the basic batting techniques such as playing straight and basic bowling techniques.
Old September 11, 2005, 12:56 AM
Club Cricketer

BD team is not upto the mark for competetive Cricket.
There is a lack of talent- this was not a voting option.

They have done just enough to justify qualification to international Cricketing stutus but thats all. Since then it has been a story of failures to stay at a reasonably high level.
I am saying this in spite of some occatioanal sensations : BD would lose quite easily against 2nd or 3rd. sides of main test playing nations.

The people in Bangladesh love Cricket.Their enthusiasm, appreciation and frustations are understandable.
Something should be done at the domestic level to do things differently to identify and train young talents and take this side to at least a marginally higher level from where they are today.

See this about Zimbabwe: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/4227384.stm
Old September 11, 2005, 02:00 AM
Test Cricketer

i couldn't find all of the above option. although there's an option that states "combination of more than one reason mentioned above", but i was really looking for "all of the above" option.