facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old May 3, 2014, 11:21 AM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Messi
Default Strength and bangladeshis, sports(power related)

Why is there no organized effort to bring out talemted athletes in this country?

Does anyone here strength train or have a knack for strength/power/athletics?

(sorry I am new here, and off topic posted here)

Old May 3, 2014, 11:45 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Ohh this is a very interesting and good topic, and a very valid point, brother Dawoodch....You just became a member, a jamitty jam welcome to Banglacricket forums.

What kind of power/strength training are you talking about? Are you talking about Panja Lorai? Are you a weight-lifter Dawoodch bro? If I could very humbly mention, I myself, in my teens, was once a weight lifter in Dhaka back in the early-mid 80s, but couldn't continue for lack of support/inspiration/facility or protein whatever it was. I support you. How much do you bench press? You are probably a very strong tough guy from our beautiful port city of Chittagong...The fresh healthy air of Chittagong alone will make one muchos strong and muscular I believe.

DawoodCh bro, is your name Dawood Chowdhury? We have a very naughty boy here named Mohammed Chowdhury here in BC...are you by any chance any relation to him?
Old May 3, 2014, 11:56 AM
Cricket Savant

i am pretty sure he was named after the car company daewoo ^^

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old May 3, 2014, 12:01 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
but dawoodch bro is gone...he left?? we would like to talk about muscle building and strength building...discuss(!) throw...
Old May 4, 2014, 02:46 AM
Street Cricketer

@bujhi kom...
I am so delighted to find likeminded people here...

Oh brother.

sorry but i am not up to ur expectation..
i am a 17 y/o teen from chittagong. i don't go to gym, but i have taken up calisthenics-dips, pull ups, inverted rows, pistol squats, sometimes i do back squats with my brother who weighs 38 kilo-12 reps max)..i have a 22 inch vertical leap and i can squat 53 kilo for one rep(i never trained legs seriously before trying this). i can push up 4 reps with 24 kilo
height: 5'6.5/5'7
weight: 54.5 kilo
bodyfat percentage: 12-13%
football(soccer), badminton, basketball (wish people played that hetete iin ctg)

So u see i m not a very tough guy!
how about you? tell me more about you.
Old May 4, 2014, 02:47 AM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
nope...i was named after prophet dawood(a.s)
Old May 4, 2014, 07:02 AM
Street Cricketer

bumping for replies on this topic
Old May 4, 2014, 08:50 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Salaam Dawood bro,

Do you know you could dunk if you wanted? That requires a lot sacrifice though. 5'5" guy (Brandon Todd) did it. 5'7" (Spud Webb - Click to watch the 1986 Dunk contest) guy won the NBA dunk competition over one of the greatest dunker Dominick Wilkins. See the links.
Old May 4, 2014, 09:15 AM
Street Cricketer

walaikumassalam...big bro..

oh great ...thanks for the inspiration. i never actually played basketball..here in chittagong there is a court in medical college...i wiill check it out..
but i calculated if i am to dunk, i will have to jump 14 inches more..

how about you bro? do u play?
Old May 4, 2014, 01:52 PM
Cricket Savant

Dawood bro, you sound like you are on a very serious, good and strong-rigid path. Best of luck to you brother. Back in the mid 80's I was exactly about your age, back in Dhaka I did some muscle toning program. We used to live in a govt. staff flat that my dad got thru his job. We had only one but rather large verandah with my mother's (she passed away a year ago, RIP ma) potted plants, which was also used for hang drying the daily washed clothes. When I was 16 my parents bought me a bench and a 220 lbs barbell and a pair of interchangeable 30 lbs dumbbells from Gulisthan-the Bongobondhu Naitonal Stadium, and I set them up in one corner of that verandah. I also had some gymnastic rings hung from the ceiling. Today since my mom is Gone, and I have time to think back in memory, I realize how lucky I was. She used to support me very much with my workout routine and she used to have a pot of goat meat and a pot of steamed vegetable for me everyday no matter whatever else troubled her. I am really grateful to my mom and dad.

But I didn't keep it up, Dawood bro, I maintained the workout routine for a little less than a year and I quit. I tried going back at it, many a times, but I failed to continue. I would start working out again, only to quit and fade off within a week, at the max. In my early 20's in architecture school I bought another bench, a barbell and dumbbells set and somehow squeezed them and a very small studio flat but never really did anything with them. Eventually I sold them to a friend just like I did before with my weights back in Dhaka in my teens.

But, when I used to do it seriously, at least that one year, I used to follow Arnold Schwarzenegger's routines and schedule. I think I was just lucky to have stumbled upon a couple of books about Arnold or co-written by Arnold. They were very simply written, and I understood what this man was saying. That helped me a lot. This guy was genuinely a big positive inspiration for me at that time. I tried my best eat really high protein, following his advice. But I remember I used to get frustrated and often depressed as I often couldn't gather the bodybuilding powders, amino acid, high protein powder etc from GNC or anywhere. I remember feeling very positive those days otherwise. Back then I used to have a genuine high self-esteem, and I felt stronger and very energetic, which now a days I don't.

Good on your Name - Your parents named you after our great prophet Dawood (PBUH) ...the Jewish and Christian faiths also talk about him extensively as "David" in both the old and the new testaments. Your routine is very impressive, MaashAllah and very best of luck to you my brother Dawood.

Last edited by bujhee kom; May 5, 2014 at 11:54 AM..
Old May 5, 2014, 12:07 AM
Street Cricketer

i thought that i was the only one in this path from this country....
do you know how simple it has become?-bodybuilding, powerlifting?

i greatly/(forgive my english) urge you to start again...even when you are 40+ age, nothing matters..if Allah lets u live 85 years that is barely halfway thru...

people are now starting at 50+ age..pls brother..you don't need a lotta weight..just your will brother...come on!

i hope one day people like us(does 17y/olds count as people? :p) would be able to bring out the talented/or at least dedicated athletes of our country to perform, to lift, to run, to swim, to play, TO ABOLISH THE TITLE OF "THE LARGEST COUNTRY TO NEVER WIN AN OLYMPIC MEDAL)

Let the journey begin. May Allah bless you me and every muslim n guide the mankindnd!
Old May 5, 2014, 12:09 AM
Street Cricketer

and also, May your mom rest in peace,...
Old May 5, 2014, 10:01 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawoodch
walaikumassalam...big bro..

oh great ...thanks for the inspiration. i never actually played basketball..here in chittagong there is a court in medical college...i wiill check it out..
but i calculated if i am to dunk, i will have to jump 14 inches more..

how about you bro? do u play?
You may want to recheck your calculations. You must go 8+ inches higher than the rim to be able to dunk. That even barely. I could touch the rim but never could dunk on 10 feet poll.

Yes, I do play at times. My action got limited (last few years) because of family and two destroyed shoulders (dislocated so many times that there is no longer cups to hold the bones in the socket). I use to play street ball. Now just shoot around with my son when time permits. I was blessed to go to a school where they had 3 courts with yearly tournaments.
Old May 5, 2014, 12:23 PM
Street Cricketer

thats great...yeah my calculation wass off...do you live in BD though?
Old May 5, 2014, 01:33 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
thats great...yeah my calculation wass off...do you live in BD though?
Nope. There are several places in Dhaka you can play ball though.
Old May 5, 2014, 01:57 PM
Street Cricketer

oh..but i m in chittagong .. !
and sorry about your shoulders too..

here everyone seems to love cricket...but i am the worst in cricket :/ i can never catch a ball, fast bowl, or even score (not even 3-4 runs,)

any tips? i am faster than most players in speed, vertical leap, strength, (relative to bodyweight i am stronger than almost everyone of my friends..but i suck balls when cricketing! any tips will be helpful, sir..
Old May 5, 2014, 02:12 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
oh..but i m in chittagong .. !
and sorry about your shoulders too..

here everyone seems to love cricket...but i am the worst in cricket :/ i can never catch a ball, fast bowl, or even score (not even 3-4 runs,)

any tips? i am faster than most players in speed, vertical leap, strength, (relative to bodyweight i am stronger than almost everyone of my friends..but i suck balls when cricketing! any tips will be helpful, sir..
Tips: Play table tennis, tennis or hockey. Will improve your hand-eye coordination. Practice makes a man perfect.
+++
But you can be the best arm chair quarterback for BD cricket. If you don't know the meaning then look up the definition on that.
Old May 5, 2014, 08:46 PM
Street Cricketer

armchair quarterback? nah..
i want to play some real football(american one too) and cricket!

thanks for that advice ..i appreciate it bro..
Old May 6, 2014, 04:33 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

[Sarcasm mode on]
Talented athletes? Have you never heard the saying 'Rice eating Bengali people don't have natural athletic ability or genetics'? Did you not read Shakib's interview on orange juice?
[/Sarcasm mode off]

My 2 cents on fitness training for average Bangladeshi adults (this is only my personal opinion and I'm not a certified fitness coach):

As BK bro mentioned above, our country has rich heritage on strength training aka 'Paloan training with mugur vaja'. However, doing only strength training (muscle building) can do more harm than good when someone is trying to achieve good fitness (think fitness required for military or law enforcement).

Ever heard about functional fitness (or cross fit or sealfit)? The US and Australian special forces train heavily to improve functional fitness (and not just to build a body to show off) to highly perform in a tough/stressful situation. What I understand, there are 4 important paradigms in any balanced fitness training:

1. Flexibility and agility
2. Endurance and cardiovascular
3. Strength (including core muscle strength not just biceps)
4. Balance

Why should you (or we) care? We may not be representing Bangladesh cricket team (or any other sports team that requires high performance under stress) anytime soon but what if we end up being a victim of earthquake or any other natural disaster (doesn't matter where we live on earth), can we (as individuals):

Carry another person (may be an injured close relative) for 2 KM and get help? Can we run and swim back to the disaster zone and carry another injured person (who may not be a close relative but a just fellow human being)? Or do we just thank God when we're alive (chacha apon pran bacha) and leave everything (and everyone) else on God?

I know this is extreme but I'd rather train for this kind of fitness that gives real life benefits than doing just weightlifting in a gym to build a nice body. :-)

Happy to share more if anyone is interested in this kind of training.
Old May 6, 2014, 10:06 AM
Street Cricketer

yes brother i know what you are talking about.

all of the things you said is legit..but weight lifting won't make u big. it will if u eat like a bull .so if one eats as necessary...gains SUFFICIENT muscle, and trains for all of those which you mentioned, plus POWER(force×speed).(ex-olympic lifting, sprint, vertical leap etc)
(and also- i am into the mentioned kind of training.))
but most of bangladeshis(including me, are FAR AWAY from being TOO MUSCULAR, they are(most of em) skinny as hell. actually it comes down to bodyfat and dedication(genetics too)...if you are 80 kilo shredded@8-12% bodyfat, i bett you would be fast and strong, fit, TOUGH(for situation u mentioned), at least from the average people(even if u have the worst geness - justust assuming though)..

but i am thinking why dont people like us unite and make a stand for the sake of our people's fitness, strength. who knows ? if Allah wishes, imagine, our people have some gifts in some sports/events/feats...so who knows ! what if we can remove the title of "largest country to never win a oly medal"?????

Google " Manohar Aich " , from comilla maybe, squatted 330 kgs!!!!! (660 lbs????) at ONLY 4 foot 11.. he was named pocket hercules..also won mr.universe. I bet he had the ability to run(maybe sprint?) with a man on his back over kilometres....

Muscle can actually help, to a certain limit of course, skip to myth 2.

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/...engthmyth.html

Do you train alchemist brother?????

And are you in BD(ctg?)????
Old May 6, 2014, 10:19 AM
Street Cricketer

I guess that kind of workout would include.(should)

- important bodyweight moves(pull ups, dips, pullups with someone on ur back????! :O)
- a good base of strength (1.5x/2x squat, 100 kg+ deadlift?-maybe when u need to remove some heavy debris from someones body)
- good cardiovascular and musclular endurance》high rep workout(important for carrying someone on foot, or to swim long distance)
- good explosive power (escape from danger?)
- sprinting, running, swimming (best if mixed?)
- good core strength (strong lower back, obliques, abs.)
- good fighting ability (for self defense when needed, you dont know when a gang of starving people during disasters attack u in gang)
- above all >- mental toughness
- mainly...prayy----!!!!!
Old May 6, 2014, 11:02 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Cross fit can accomplish all that. I say do regular weight training, cardio and cross fit once a week to optimize your physical peak potential.
Old May 6, 2014, 11:37 AM
Street Cricketer

Great! thanks!

but crossfit's kipping pull is bull..no offence..risky for joints...if u want to pull explosively why not just do clap pullups! ???
Old May 6, 2014, 12:33 PM
Cricket Guru

It is strenuous. Risky for joints too, no doubt about that. But, there are pre-crossfit programs that you can do for beginners which is lighter, but can eventually move up once you have built your stamina. With everything, practice make it better. There is no substitute for strength training, but you have to watch your food. You will have to take a lot more protein in your diet. Carbs ( rice for us bangalis ) are killer and you have to portion your servings. Cardio is important to burn away excess fat/carbs from your system. Run, run and run...ha ha ha..
Old May 6, 2014, 12:37 PM
Cricket Guru

I ran about six miles yesterday in the morning before work. Today, I will hit the gym after work for about 1-1/2 hour of upper body workout. Have a cross fit session Sat morning. In between now and Sat, I will run probably a few more times, and do lower body and arms. Problem is time. Finding time is difficult, but once you are dedicated, missing work out makes you feel like crap : (

Good luck BTW.