facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old September 19, 2007, 09:36 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza
Default Prothom Alo Cartoon Incident

I know we had several religion related thread here before that ended in heated discussions. Still, I could not help opening this one.

I read in yesterday's prothom alo that Cartoonist Ariful Rahman was arrested for a cartoon in prothom alo's Al-Pin. Prothom alo pulled back the issue of al pin and apologized for it. Obviously, I was interested in knowing what the cartoon was.

well, here it is:

I was surprised to say the least. Are we heading toward religious intolerance? I cannot believe someone will get arrested for something as simple as this.
Old September 19, 2007, 09:44 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Very sad and unfortunate if CG has arrested the cartoonist. It is the correct portrayal of our society's naming disorder. I applaud the cartoonist for portraying the message so nicely. We have reached to insane amount of "Mohammad" idolization while naming children, and, it needs to stop.

for the cartoonist. Pure genius.
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.
Old September 20, 2007, 08:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasif
Very sad and unfortunate if CG has arrested the cartoonist. It is the correct portrayal of our society's naming disorder. I applaud the cartoonist for portraying the message so nicely. We have reached to insane amount of "Mohammad" idolization while naming children, and, it needs to stop.

for the cartoonist. Pure genius.
Its better to have him arrested then have twenty mullah running after him with all degrees of fatwas. In that way he is better protected.

On a different note, people who think that having Mohammad before your name (there is a female equivalent can't remember) are one of those misguided souls mostly found in villages. There is no mention in the Quran that you need to have it before the name.

Also this is a lame attempt at humour. Ok, maybe the open minded individuals may find it amusing, but given how half our country works, you'll be crucified in no time. There is a limit for all jokes. And when it comes to jokes there is always a limit especially with regards to religion. So play with fire and you'll get burned sooner or later. Thats what happened here. He should have had the common sense before doing something like this.

So to the cartoonist and to the public.
Old September 20, 2007, 09:11 PM
Cricket Sage

Just found out in http://www.drishtipat.org/blog/ that there was similar joke published in Islamic Chatra Shibir Magazine (Nov 1998, Edition Page 87) under Children's Voice ( courtesyhttp://www.somewhereinblog.net/blog/...cblog/28732243)

People who find Prothom Alo cartoon Offensive, do you guys find this offensive also? But where is the protest then? Do you remember anyone went to jail then? Any one saked? Any publisher scolded? How about now? Shouldn't justice be served now?

Where is Fatwa against Jamati Islam and its magazine? Where are the protector of Mohammed hiding in this case...can you please all stand up and show your real face please?

Guys Keu (jail) pabe ar keu (jail) Pabena... ta to hobe na ta to hobe na !!!!!

Last edited by Fazal; September 20, 2007 at 09:22 PM..
Old September 20, 2007, 09:15 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
Also this is a lame attempt at humour.
So to the cartoonist and to the public.
I don't think it was an attempted joke. Rather, it was a satire, poking at mullahs. What the cartoon showing is, a mullah giving a child an advise that is not proper Islamic (like most of their advises). And what the outcome is for those made up fatwahs.

Basically, what the cartoon is saying is: if you listen to those illiterate mullahs (99% of Bangladeshi mullahs are illiterate), you are going to end up in trouble.
Old September 20, 2007, 09:36 PM
Club Cricketer

maybe its high time we call on all the razakar mullahs to publicly apologize for their anti-state role during 1971 or face eviction!
lets see where our alem olama khatibs stand on that demand!
Old September 19, 2007, 10:03 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

to me its not that simple. First of all What i know and i might be wrong that every muslim boys name should start with Mohammad even if its not in your certificate. thats like given (if you r a muslim). And making fun about this shows poor test cause in a way it makes fun of the way of the Muslim which is kinda fashion now a days.

to the cartoon
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old September 19, 2007, 10:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
to me its not that simple. First of all What i know and i might be wrong that every muslim boys name should start with Mohammad even if its not in your certificate. thats like given (if you r a muslim). And making fun about this shows poor test cause in a way it makes fun of the way of the Muslim which is kinda fashion now a days.

to the cartoon
AKabir bhai, I don't know much about religion. Could you please tell me/give me some source where I can get that the name of Muslim should be started with 'Mohammad'.
Old September 19, 2007, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:

to the cartoon
Naming your son "Mohammad" has nothing to with being Muslim. As a matter of fact, naming itself has nothing to with Islam or Muslim. There is no such thing as "Islamic" name. No matter how much we force this dogma, it is still a made up rule. Someone can be as good a Muslim with a name such as Leo Tolstoy, Wokabi (African) or any other name.
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.
Old September 19, 2007, 10:24 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Well said Nasif. But you need to keep in mind that people of Bangladesh don’t possess the same degree of sense of sensitivities. They still have a knee-jerk emotional response to such slights against their religion and seem to have no problem expressing such bigotry.

Old September 19, 2007, 10:25 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasif
Naming your son "Mohammad" has nothing to with being Muslim. As a matter of fact, naming itself has nothing to with Islam or Muslim. There is no such thing as "Islamic" name. No matter how much we force this dogma, it is still a made up rule. Someone can be as good a Muslim with a name such as Leo Tolstoy, Wokabi (African) or any other name.

Like i said i have very little knowledge about this but what i have heard specaly after my daughter was born from the arab frineds (african and middle east) that THIS iS not a made up rule. Its kinda sunna. Sons name has to have father and grandfather and so on names on their name ( that's why u will find most arab and african people got big names). And it has to have a meaning. putting two arab words doesn't make it meaning full. I wish i could give you the source but i don't have the links that i was given 2 years back... but i am sure if you research you will find a lot of them some genuine some not so...
Old September 20, 2007, 05:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Like i said i have very little knowledge about this but what i have heard specaly after my daughter was born from the arab frineds (african and middle east) that THIS iS not a made up rule. Its kinda sunna. Sons name has to have father and grandfather and so on names on their name ( that's why u will find most arab and african people got big names). And it has to have a meaning. putting two arab words doesn't make it meaning full. I wish i could give you the source but i don't have the links that i was given 2 years back... but i am sure if you research you will find a lot of them some genuine some not so...

Dude, its not Sunnah, ask any Alim (Scholar) about this. It is not necessary that every child has to have Mohammed in his name.
Old September 20, 2007, 09:14 AM
Cricket Guru

never mind
Old September 19, 2007, 10:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

Thank you Rubu for sharing the cartoons. I was searching this.
I am very much disappointed to see cartoonist got arrested.
Where are we heading?
Old September 19, 2007, 10:21 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Most North Americans will know Imam Patel.

Any idea why his name is Patel? Apparently, that is not an Arabic name, and many people say that it's not a "Muslim" name either. So to add on to Nasif bhai's thoughts, this is another problematic and unrelated thing that many Muslims will die over.

If you don't know about Imam Patel, do a quick search about him. I had the pleasure of praying in an Eid Jamat with him...although that was quite a funny incident.
Old September 19, 2007, 10:27 AM
Cricket Guru

converting into islam and new born baby name has to be a different thing ...

Anyway i shouldn't talk about something that i have very little knowledge...
Old September 19, 2007, 10:35 AM
Cricket Sage

How pathetic.... people have to go to jail because someone thought its a bad joke or Cartoon?

I knew its comming.... more to come .... I hope i am wrong though.
Old September 19, 2007, 10:46 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

It's not a cartoon of a very good taste especially in a country like Bangladesh. majority people don't bear the same level of sensitiveness like most of the BC members who are educated and conscious.

Everyone should understand the level of passion muslims bear in mind about Prophet (SW) and making fun where there can be slightest correlation with Prophet (SW)'s image will invoke serious repercussions. This type of cartoon should be avoided to maintain religious harmony.

Now I want to see it from two different perspectives .. (this is what I have seen in heated discussions in other forums, definitely there are more extreme views)

1. Cartoonist Guilty

The cartoonist could have conveyed the same message using different wordings where the possibility of hurting muslim sentiment could have easily been avoided.

Firstly there is no such custom or rule that a muslim name should be started with Muhammad and making it a subject of a cartoon isn't a well thought approach.

Secondly the cartoonist wanted to use the name "Muhammad" as from a rational point of view, there was no need to ask what's the boy is carrying? (when a cat should be clearly visible). if it was a covered box and the question was asked that would have been a different proposition.

2. Cartoonist not-guilty
He simply wanted to show some exchange of words that might be common in villages and wanted to make fun out of it.

He was not aware that " the use of name "Muhammad" might hurt muslims feelings.

Now if the second was is true, I have to say the cartoonist is quite a dumb person and should exercise more caution especially in Ramadan month. But definitely he should not be arrested or harassed, he should simply apologize for hurting the muslim feelings.

If the cartoonist had any inner ill-intention (only Allah knows), may Allah give gim hidayah.

Last edited by Miraz; September 19, 2007 at 10:55 AM..
Old September 19, 2007, 12:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
It's not a cartoon of a very good taste especially in a country like Bangladesh. majority people don't bear the same level of sensitiveness like most of the BC members who are educated and conscious.
I'll modify your sentence like this - It's a cartoon of a very brave nature especially in a country like Bangladesh. where majority people do not have the coherence to not go after the proverbial "Cheel" that snatched away the "Kaan" and that includes some of the BC members who are educated and conscious.

Quote:
This type of cartoon should be avoided to maintain religious harmony.
This coming from someone with university education?? Tsk Tsk.

The very reason why Muhammad's (PBUH) picture do not appear anywhere is that Islam strongly condemns any idolatry. Names, pictures, words or objects do not inherently carry any sacredness.

The cartoon in question very smartly portrays how young minds are molded in our very constrictive society. I am not talking about the few Gulshanites and Banani-ians. From a very tender age the kids are taught not to question anything and obey blindly what that bearded Mullah says. When in reality that bearded Mullah is probably the most ill-educated person around.

The cartoon just shows you the effect of following the Mullah blindly. And this will affect religious harmony?? Man! What a comment.

Old September 19, 2007, 02:46 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron
I'll modify your sentence like this - It's a cartoon of a very brave nature especially in a country like Bangladesh. where majority people do not have the coherence to not go after the proverbial "Cheel" that snatched away the "Kaan" and that includes some of the BC members who are educated and conscious.

This coming from someone with university education?? Tsk Tsk.

--

The cartoon just shows you the effect of following the Mullah blindly. And this will affect religious harmony?? Man! What a comment.

Sauron, I knew it coming from you. You are an expert in twisting comment and taking it out of context.

What I have said should be taken into the proper context. Quoting one sentence leaving others out doesn't make sense.

Quote:
Everyone should understand the level of passion muslims bear in mind about Prophet (SW) and making fun where there can be slightest correlation with Prophet (SW)'s image will invoke serious repercussions. This type of cartoon should be avoided to maintain religious harmony.
Mass people are sensitive to religion and we should respect that.

Publishing this type of cartoon which can be interpreted in many ways does not help in maintaining the harmony. I have no problem with the cartoon, but the response in Bangladesh can be well predicted. I just don't want to supply fuel to anything that creates unnecessary anarchy, we cannot simply afford that in current Bangladesh.

Going by logic isn't always the supreme solution of everything. Understanding the mind of mass population is sometimes more required than logic.

Anyway, I don't want to go into any religious debate here, I was concerned about the current state of Bangladesh and situations like this does not help at all.

Last edited by Miraz; September 19, 2007 at 03:02 PM..
Old September 19, 2007, 05:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Sauron, I knew it coming from you. You are an expert in twisting comment and taking it out of context.

What I have said should be taken into the proper context. Quoting one sentence leaving others out doesn't make sense.
Miraz, please stop making comments about the poster and stick to the post. You are alleging me of being "an expert in twisting comment and taking it out of context". That is not a nice thing to say about someone.

Again, here is what you said (note that I am putting the whole paragraph here, not just one sentence) -

Quote:
I do not see the slightest correlation with the Prophet's image in the cartoon. I don't know where you see it.

What you are suggesting is that everyone better conform (or pretend to conform), or else there will be serious repercussions. Reminds me of another infamous saying - "Either you are with us, or you are against us".

If educated people think this way, I don't know of what value is a good education.

Old September 19, 2007, 05:38 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Miraz, please stop making comments about the poster and stick to the post.
And the comment is coming from Sauron?

Really made my day.

Take a mild taste of your own medicine.

Quote:
I do not see the slightest correlation with the Prophet's image in the cartoon. I don't know where you see it.

What you are suggesting is that everyone better conform (or pretend to conform), or else there will be serious repercussions. Reminds me of another infamous saying - "Either you are with us, or you are against us".

If educated people think this way, I don't know of what value is a good education.
Well if you can't find correlation, I don't know whether I can make you understand. Anyway to help you, I haven't used the word image in the meaning of "picture" or "visual representation".

Conform to what? I am really sorry because I am not understanding the words you are putting in my mouth.

Care to explain?

Last edited by Miraz; September 19, 2007 at 05:46 PM..
Old September 19, 2007, 11:09 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Usual Knee-Jerk Reaction of BD-Shardul:

Actually there is no hadeeth or any source in Islam that says that a muslim name should start with 'Mohammad'. If there were, then of course the name of the companions of our holy prophet Mohammad Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam would had started with 'Mohammad'.

Starting a name with Mohammad is pretty much an Indian subcontinental tradition, but I do not see any problem with that. Most of the people actually do it because of their love and respect towards the holy prophet.

Now coming to the issue, it seems to me that his work is simply making ridicle about starting a name with Mohammad. If I have wrongly interpreted the intention of the cartoonist, then can anyone of you tell me what could be the purpose of drawing such a cartoon? Refuting superstition? No way. It is true that there are many superstitions among the village people of Bangladesh about their religion, but never have I heard even a village mollah saying like "a name should start with Mohammad". My grand father's (dada) name was (late) Osman Gani, my nana's name was (late) Shamsul Islam. None of their names started with Mohammad.

Also the cartoon seemed to me a carbon copy of the following joke:

Teacher: What's your name?
Student: Omar
Teacher: How dare you are? You didn't address me with "sir". You should be polite when you talk with your teacher.

Student: OK. My name is SIR Omar.

To the people who who deamand arrest:

Guys whats the point of this arrest? Allah, the all knowing, knows best about the intention of the cartoontist, and will reward him accordingly in the hereafter. We now live in an era where holding onto imaan is like holding a piece of burning coal in hand.

To Nasif Bhai,

Yes, I agree that there is no such thing as 'Islamic' name. But still our prophet has encouraged the Muslims to choose Arabic names. Because, on the day of resurrection, we will be called upon to Allah SWT by our names. So, one can easily understand the importance of having a good name.
Old September 19, 2007, 11:50 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD-Shardul

We now live in an era where holding onto imaan is like holding a piece of burning coal in hand.
Not sure what you wanted to say but it depends on belief system. It is the xenophobic interpretation of the faith that some misguided Muslims choose to follow that is incompatible with modern society or really any form of civilization.These muslims make Islam as regional and middle aged religion. Islam does not oppose modernity at all. Islam is for all times.Islam is not opposed to any kinda scientific research,space travels,internet or any kinda electronic gadgets.It is unfortunate that this xenophobic sect seems to be more successful at communicating their message than the silent majority. It is the interpretation and implementation of a narrow set of individuals that serve the purpose of power that pervert the enlightenment of true Islam and portray this as medieval religion.

Last edited by reverse_swing; September 19, 2007 at 12:33 PM..
Old September 19, 2007, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD-Shardul
To Nasif Bhai,

Yes, I agree that there is no such thing as 'Islamic' name. But still our prophet has encouraged the Muslims to choose Arabic names. Because, on the day of resurrection, we will be called upon to Allah SWT by our names. So, one can easily understand the importance of having a good name.
I have no problem with giving a good name. But I do have a problem if people tell me that only Arabic words can be considered as good names. Not all Arabic words are good and beautiful for name.

Good and beautiful can be very subjective at times. We can generally agree that some words don't work well for names; for example I don't think any parent would want to name their kid a Camel or Livestock (in Bangla or English). But surprisingly many parents do name their kids Camel and Livestock/Cattle in Arabic; Jamal and Anam respectively. I do not mean any disrespect to anyone who has those name. I am just trying to point out the obvious; the blind love for anything Arabic.

Arabic is just a language, and as such it consist of good and bad words. Blindly thinking anything Arabic or having Mohammad is good for my child's name is just that, "blind belief".

Unfortunately, us Muslims as a community, we encourage the blind belief; instead of knowledge and wisdom. We have forgotten the very first commandment of God, "Read."