facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 7, 2005, 03:59 PM
BC Editorial Team

Default Strategy For 3rd Day.

Gang, thought I'd get the ball rolling on this one and see what the collective wisdom of this board comes up with.

My thoughts:

A tight (and yes I'm talking to u Mr. too-pumped-up-to-bowl straight Mortaza) and incisive opening spell by our pacers. 15 overs w/ 20-30 odd runs is the bare minimum. Anything like that 2nd morning in Chittagong where Masree nailed Tendu and blasted Dravid would be the higher end - in this case I want Masakadza and Taibu.

While they are at it, the pacers should also do a few overs around the wicket so as to create roughs for Enamul & Rafique.

At the end of 10-15 overs, we unleash the two SLAs. I'd like Enamul to keep flighting the ball and giving it a big rip. With Rafique keeping things tight with his fastish deliveries, that will encourage the inexperienced Zim batters to try and go over the top against Enam and put some catches up. Bashar has to get his field just right on this one.

As fer Rafique - same old same old - he has to be just himself, and the wickets will come.

Overall goal, dismiss them short of follow on target.

Now here's the main question

If we do get em short of the follow on target, but they are close enough, do we enforce it? Or we bat again and go for a quick 150 odd runs and then make them bat. I really would not like us to have to bat last in case Zim averts an innings defeat possibility.

Old January 7, 2005, 04:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

Nice Post.
Old January 7, 2005, 04:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
While they are at it, the pacers should also do a few overs around the wicket so as to create roughs for Enamul & Rafique.
Curious about this too. But 3rd day maybe still too early for Enamul's orthodox spin. I would fancy my chances with Aftab maybe for a few overs early in the morning. Being the local boy he must be toying with the idea of a few wickets.

Quote:
If we do get em short of the follow on target, but they are close enough, do we enforce it? Or we bat again and go for a quick 150 odd runs and then make them bat. I really would not like us to have to bat last in case Zim averts an innings defeat possibility.
Interesting paradox- to enforce FO or not. Habib does not have to enforce the follow-on but the temptation for such a mental attack is mouthwatering. But in the case of Zimbabwe, I feel ( a hunch) that they don't like to be in the defensive too long. So they may not be keen to sneak a draw. Anyway, the best would be to keep a good 300+ advantage after day 4, so yeah I go for additional batting .
Old January 7, 2005, 04:44 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally posted by oracle
Quote:
Interesting paradox- to enforce FO or not. Habib does not
Er paradox? I think you mean dilemma heh heh
Old January 7, 2005, 05:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Rafiq, in his interview, said they will try to enforce the follow on, if possible.
Old January 7, 2005, 05:16 PM
First Class Cricketer

Good post, razabq.

Quote:

Now here's the main question

I also think, Bangladesh should not force the follow on (if they get the chance); rather go for batting at 3rd innings to apply some whirlwind for quick runs. Because-

1. It will be tough to bat on this track at fourth inninngs. (for pitch conditions, pressure etc.).

2. I would say, our batting is not yet dependable. You never know when the collapse will happen, but 80% of time you know it will happen - mostly under pressure (I'm assuming, Zimbos can collect a good total by batting in 2nd & 3rd innings).
Old January 7, 2005, 05:20 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

nice post... razabq u just post what i think... if Bangladesh can bolwed out Zimbabwe with in 200 runs... that means Bangladesh will lead by 288 runs.. in that case Bangladesh can enforce Zimbabwe follow on..... on the other hand, if they scored just bellow 288 runs.. which means only 200 runs lead by Bangladesh, Bangladesh should bat again & scored 200 runs in quick session. & bolwed out them quickly ... Coz 4th innings batting in this patch will not be a wise decision... & also we know Bangladesh always shows poor performance in their 2nd iinings... So better we should avoid 4th innings batting.....

Most important day of the match... Hope Bangladesh will do good as they did 1st two days...
Old January 7, 2005, 05:29 PM
Club Cricketer

If they do 288 and we bat and post 200 odd runs then it would be possible for Zimbabwe to win(hypothetically). I think if we bat then it should be at least 250 and make sure the match is not within reach of Zim. One thing for sure they have couple of players who can score pretty fast. We already saw that in 3 day match.
Old January 7, 2005, 05:31 PM
Club Cricketer

I think we shouldn't be too afraid to bat on the fourth innings. Its part of the game and we should learn to play it. I am sure we will be ok batting in the fourth innings.
Old January 7, 2005, 05:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Razabq,

Personally, I'd open with the 2 quicks for about 6 overs, then leave Baiysa on and bring Rafique in at the other end.

Continue that for a couple of overs, then have Haque and Rafique bowling in tandem, then just rotate the bowlers.

Concentrate on line and length, set aggressive fields and wait for the missed shots.

If Zimbabwe dont play their shots, they arent likely to get to the follow-on target.

If they do, they'll give catches to the slip cordon and gully - I'd have 2 slips and a gully for the quicks, and 3 men in other catching positions for the slow bowlers.

There are runs in the bank, and 6 wickets to get.

Ian Whitchurch
Old January 7, 2005, 06:06 PM
Club Cricketer

We should just play positive. There will be sessions when Zim will play ok. We just have to be patient and maintain our line and length.
Old January 7, 2005, 08:16 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Forget about the end result. Play to win each session.
Old January 7, 2005, 08:20 PM
Test Cricketer

Ditto. Stop looking at bigger picture! Win every session. Outcome will take care of itself. We'll look at bigger picture end of this month.
Old January 7, 2005, 08:22 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Nannu, Ash, Mash

The main strategy for our team would be arranging a practice session dedicated for catching.
Old January 7, 2005, 08:58 PM
Street Cricketer

Bangaldesh should continue to apply the pressure and attack. Go in with the kill, you have 488 runs to work with and already have 4 wickets. If Bangladesh bowl them out under the follow on mark, most teams now a days do nto enforce it, thus I would like to see Bangladesh bat again, pile on 500 minimum and then just go nuts attacking.
Old January 7, 2005, 08:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Morning.. to use the winter moist, they should use ta[ash and mashrafee. mashrafee was probably tired as he batted till the end and only had 30 mins break. Also, using pacers with moist on the field will wear the bowl faster.. However, the decision would be how comfortable they get with pace. Rafique will be introduced soon after 5-7 overs to create pressure.

Its very unlikely that Zim will not be able to score 200 runs by lunch tomorrow and with a wearing pitch,,, its unlikely that they will last for whole day.

They should enforce follow on.. as it always create pressure,, especially with inexperienced teams. If they go on batting for the 4th day.. at the most the difference wouldnt be more than 100 runs or so, if they can score 300 runs. Which is also very very very unlikely for any team on worn down track.

Bangldesh is a changed team,,, 4th innings batting would not be that disastreous. They should be able to score 100 runs without problem. Heck. even Tapash, Mashrafee, Rafique can score that.

Today be prepared to see slow and nerve wrecking delivery from Rafique and co.
Old January 7, 2005, 09:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Dhakablues

Bangldesh is a changed team,,, 4th innings batting would not be that disastreous. They should be able to score 100 runs without problem.
I agree. We would be chicken not to take that challenge. Besides not enforcing follow on would increase their chance of draw a lot. Like, if we had the 8 runs against India we could have batted out the 4th innings for a draw(unlikely though but possible). They could just bat it out.
Old January 7, 2005, 10:47 PM
Cricket Legend

the follow on decision may depend on how long the Zim first innings goes. If it is short, and hopefully it will be, then likely they will have to follow on. If they barely miss the target (like we did against India), our bowlers may be tired and we could bat again until 4th day lunch/tea.