facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 21, 2004, 07:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Bangladesh Cricket Control Board Strategy

I have been observing Bangladesh team for a few years now, as a supporter, asa critique and as a hopeful, and contrary to what people here have to say, i believe that the crux of Bangladesh teams problem today is not lack of talent or quality players but the jinx that surrounds the team.

It is THAT one session of slip, or call it of hostile bowling by the opponents in the first test vs India when they collapsed from position of strength to abject surrender. Many a times i think that if that one session could be scripted differently, Bangladesh would be a different team today.

It is that one session of slip, or call it a resolute batting by by an opposition batsmen, when against the Pakistan team they had a chance to rewrite the above a good 4 years later. Knocking at the doorsteps of the ever elusive first test win, they thought ,and they had, actually done everything to deserve a win only to be denied by a certain Mr. Inzamam Ul-Haq.

I feel that history has been cruel to Bangladesh in many ways, and the above test-match was just another episode in that cruelty list. I again feel that team Bangaldesh would've been much different had Inzamam not messed with the script of that one test.

Moving on, everytime i watch bangladesh team play, i feel sad. Cos, like Indian and Pakistanis, Bangladeshis too are passionate supporters of their team. I somehow try to tell myself everytime that Bangladesh team would live up to the expectation of it's supporters today. It did, during that one test in Windies, it did during that stunning Victory over Pakistan in World Cup, but in between, it has been a sorry tale of abject surrender to even lowly teams like Kenya and Canada who are not in the same elite league as Bangladesh.

Every time Bangladesh team plays, there is one corner of my heart that says they might, they just might, do it today. Another skeptical, and now dominantly skeptical corner points at sheer hopelessness.

In my opinuion, what Bangladesh team needs today is NOT exposure to more teams, more tournaments and all, but exposure to more wins. With every defeat, the team is plunging deeper and deeper into loss of confidence in it's own abilities, loss of form, loss of quality players, and most importantly, loss of supporters. I read quite a few post on this forum and felt sad at the level of fristration, disappointment and resignation of some very passionate Bengali crowd. And no country, and no fan and no supporters deserves that.

Coming back to the "win" factor and the strategy by Bangladesh Cricket Board, i think they should take a break from tournaments involving the major teams and should instead organise some home series against teams like Zimbabwe, Kenya, Canada and all. The tonic that Bangladesh team needs desperately today is of breaking the jinx, of winning a few ODIs and tests and of regaining some self-belief. While some may say doubt the role of victory against weak teams and some may agree, and i have nothing against either. I just feel that playing and losing without a fight to the teams that have developed over the years is affecting the Bangladesh cricket in negative way. Some may argue on the point that playing against major teams is providing a good exposure. I would say that after playing 90+ ODIs and 25+ tests, exposure is hardly something that Bangladesh team is in desperate need of.

Victor, it surely is.