facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 28, 2012, 07:40 PM
Banned

Default Changes you want to see in next season's BPL

If I had the power the first thing I would do is change the name of tournament. We already have a tournament called BPL in football and DPL in cricket. Can’t we be little more creative? I would even accept ‘BCB Cup’ or something rather than this ‘PL’. Same goes with the team names. Duronto Rajshahi is a good choice. I like it when Danny Morrison says ‘Duronto’. But I know these are never going to happen. Lets talk about some BCB-might-do type of changes:

 Get rid of ‘Icon player’ philosophy. We don’t need that to make BPL popular. And Shakib deserves more money.
 Hold the matches in respective divisional stadiums. I know there so many issues ie. Transport, accommodation but just make it happen somehow. Transport players by helicopter if needed. Don’t tell me you can’t afford it.
 Don’t allow teams to import players whenever they want. Allow teams to register 10 overseas players instead.
 Bring the ticket prices further down to 50-70 taka range. Stadium full of supporters will only attract more tv viewers.
 Call that ‘Strategic time-out’ something else. ‘Kitkat Timeout’ or something. Don’t be such a copycat.
 Encourage teams to hire more cricketers from all over the world rather than one or two countries.
 Engage TV & stadium crowds more by offering some prizes ie. Best dressed group, vote for the best six, best catch, best bowling.
 Do some charity work under the tournament’s banner- donate some money to a hospital, school, orphanage, bring some poor kids to stadiums and give them team gears, kits. And please help other sports by giving them some money.
 Hire govt or private intelligence agencies to keep the corruption at the minimum level.
 And if BCB officials and franchises are involved in corruption shut down the tournament otherwise will be labelled as Pakistan very soon.

Not sure if BCB has any control over Channel 9 on broadcasting the tournament but I believe they can force them to improve the quality. My suggestions would be:

 Get rid of that Sheena for god’s sake, at least from analysing matches in between games. She can interview crowds in the stands at best. She is no cricket expert and a bad actor. If you really need a girl in that role hire a well-spoken female current/ex-cricketer from overseas. Heck our BC girls can the job thousand times better than her.
 I don’t want to see Lal BaBa hosting the presentation ceremony. There is Danny Morrison, Pat Symcox who are funnier and better speaker than him.
 Get some more popular & energetic commentators along with Danny, Pat, Shamim if you want to attract more international viewers. This Lal Baba and Chota Gavaskar doesn’t cut it at all.
 Camera work has been good overall I have to say but make advertisers air better quality commercials since it will be aired internationally.
 Film some more video clips other than ‘Beautiful Bangladesh’ to promote tourism. I am already sick of watching it every day.

That’s all I could come up with at the moment but expecting some more interesting suggestions from you guys.
Old February 28, 2012, 07:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstlane
If I had the power the first thing I would do is change the name of tournament. We already have a tournament called BPL in football and DPL in cricket. Can’t we be little more creative? I would even accept ‘BCB Cup’ or rather than this ‘PL’. Same goes with the team names. Duronto Rajshahi is a good choice. I like it when Danny Morrison says ‘Duronto’. But I know these are never going to happen. Lets talk about some BCB-might-do type of changes:

 Get rid of ‘Icon player’ philosophy. We don’t need that to make BPL popular. And Shakib deserves more money.
 Hold the matches in respective divisional stadiums. I know there so many issues ie. Transport, accommodation but just make it happen somehow. Transport players by helicopter if needed. Don’t tell me you can’t afford it.
 Don’t allow teams to import players whenever they want. Allow teams to register 10 overseas players instead.
 Bring the ticket prices further down to 50-70 taka range. Stadium full of supporters will only attract more tv viewers.
 Call that ‘Strategic time-out’ something else. ‘Kitkat Timeout’ or something. Don’t be such a copycat.
 Encourage teams to hire more cricketers from all over the world rather than one or two countries.
 Engage TV & stadium crowds more by offering some prizes ie. Best dressed group, vote for the best six, best catch, best bowling.
 Do some charity work under the tournament’s banner- donate some money to a hospital, school, orphanage, bring some poor kids to stadiums and give them team gears, kits. And please help other sports by giving them some money.
 Hire govt or private intelligence agencies to keep the corruption at the minimum level.
 And if BCB officials and franchises are involved in corruption shut down the tournament otherwise will be labelled as Pakistan very soon.

Not sure if BCB has any control over Channel 9 on broadcasting the tournament but I believe they can force them to improve the quality. My suggestions would be:

 Get rid of that Sheena for god’s sake, at least from analysing matches in between games. She can interview crowds in the stands at best. She is no cricket expert and a bad actor. If you really need a girl in that role hire a well-spoken female current/ex-cricketer from overseas. Heck our BC girls can the job thousand times better than her.
 I don’t want to see Lal BaBa hosting the presentation ceremony. There is Danny Morrison, Pat Symcox who are funnier and better speaker than him.
 Get some more popular & energetic commentators along with Danny, Pat, Shamim if you want to attract more international viewers. This Lal Baba and Chota Gavaskar doesn’t cut it at all.
 Camera work has been good overall I have to say but make advertisers air better quality commercials since it will be aired internationally.
 Film some more video clips other than ‘Beautiful Bangladesh’ to promote tourism. I am already sick of watching it every day.

That’s all I could come up with at the moment but expecting some more interesting suggestions from you guys.
agree word to word
Old February 28, 2012, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Good points. Agree almost 100%.

The name BPL is so mundane. Now think of the Big Bash - that has a certain ring to it.

As for commentators - just clone Danny boy.
Old February 28, 2012, 07:52 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
The name BPL is so mundane. Now think of the Big Bash - that has a certain ring to it.
Bangla-Baash?
Old February 28, 2012, 07:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
Bangla-Baash?
Lol, I thought of that too. But thats too close to Big-Bash.
Old February 28, 2012, 07:51 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

- Change the name
- Less rushed
- Own venues
- All-Star Game
- No owners on the bench
- Better Hosts/Improvement on broadcasting
- Better Jerseys
- No Bengali or Indian commies. Sorry, but NO!
Old February 28, 2012, 07:56 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Agree wholeheartedly. You covered most of the points
Old February 28, 2012, 07:57 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: who else?

I think lal baba is doing a ok job. if you have to think about our local players who cant speak english lal baba is the only choice. I dont wana see shamim chow in the presentation ceremony...
Old February 28, 2012, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_army
I think lal baba is doing a ok job. if you have to think about our local players who cant speak english lal baba is the only choice. I dont wana see shamim chow in the presentation ceremony...
We do have quite a few very good english speaking ex-cricketers. Faruk Ahmed, Durjoy, Nannu, Rakibul Hasan are the names I can think instantly but no idea why they don't do commentary.
Old February 28, 2012, 09:01 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

Quote:
We do have quite a few very good english speaking ex-cricketers. Faruk Ahmed, Durjoy, Nannu, Rakibul Hasan are the names I can think instantly but no idea why they don't do commentary.
Mahmudur Rahman is my choice..
Old February 28, 2012, 09:48 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: who else?

Quote:
Problem is most of them are already involved with BPL teams. Also they dont have any experience with these before. Athahar is a good choice but agin he is already with DR..

I am also very depressed with our local young players apart from mominul, Anamul, Apu, marshall ayub, sahagir, milon. even though they were not consistent as well. Shakib, nasir, Ash, mash, Sunny, Enamul, Mushi had good tournaments. but they are experienced in international level. So it was expected from them. Even experienced players like Kapali, kayedge, Zunayeed, Chokka baba, Rubel, Shafiul, Jahurul, Home, Nazim were hopeless. youngsters like Alauddin babu, abul hasan, noor hossain, Sajib, arafat sunny, nabil samad, zia, al amin missed oppertuanity to show their talent.. may be this is first year of the tournament. hopefully we can see better performence from them next year.
Old February 28, 2012, 08:08 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Get Ganguly to commentate!
Old February 28, 2012, 09:00 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

Great points ..firstlane ....hope BCB will read this thread and try to understand.
Old February 28, 2012, 09:49 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Indians

lovely thread and and beautifully said and u already know i agree to all of ur points
Old February 28, 2012, 10:27 PM
Cricket Sage

Please no strategic timeout. You don't need to be a genius to figure out that in the last 10 overs you need to kick it up a notch. This whole timeout thing is so stupid, they are already showing ad in between every overs, they don't need to call timeout to show ads.
Old February 29, 2012, 02:50 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajfar
Please no strategic timeout. You don't need to be a genius to figure out that in the last 10 overs you need to kick it up a notch. This whole timeout thing is so stupid, they are already showing ad in between every overs, they don't need to call timeout to show ads.
lol +1

as for me...less wardrobe

meh
Old February 28, 2012, 10:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Dont know whether you all noticed, but Rokibul Hassan made a bit of a blunder during his interview in the interval break. He was asked why West Indian batsmen were so good in T20's and big hitting. He starting talking about black power and pop music of cricket. Very quickly the host changed the topic. The guy didnt mean anything bad, but how he was brought it up could have become controversial say a Mbangwa or Michael Holding was there.
Old February 28, 2012, 11:56 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

-Host 3 semi-finals just to make sure no team is going to court
-peg the ticket price to dollar exchange rate so that no one questions the frequent changes
- remove sheena and hire xena so that zeeshan is happy
- pay mushfiq now for next years tournament just to be safe
- take the owner of barishal team to barishal since its only 4hours drive
- make dropped catches as exciting as hitting sixes since both are in abundance
- promote naeem up the order( can i get an applause from naeem fans now?)
Old February 29, 2012, 12:04 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

The way things are getting messy and dirty, i wont be surprised if BPL is done for good in this year.
Old February 29, 2012, 01:28 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

No owners in the dugout. Let them do or on the stand but not on the dugout. This is the most important thing for me.
Old February 29, 2012, 01:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
No owners in the dugout. Let them do or on the stand but not on the dugout. This is the most important thing for me.
koti koti taka dia team kinse aar dug out e boshte parbo na! faizlami koren mia?
Old February 29, 2012, 01:46 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

wonderful thread firstlane and wonderfully wriiten with wonderful points. MashAllah!

agree 100%. the point that stood out to me most was the need to involve other divisional stadiums. This will further enhance our cricket reputation and will create an opportunity for upcoming local scouting.(recruiting new players) since more people will have a chance to observe competitive quality cricket.
Old February 29, 2012, 02:38 AM
2019 WC Ranking Predictor Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sachin,Klusener

Excellent points..though i would like to add some
-Add 1/2 team(s) for more competition
-Schedules must be planned appropriately keeping venues & holidays in mind.... everyday shouln't be a double header..instead this pattern can be followed: fri-sat 2 match ,sun-1,mon-2,tues-1,wed-2,thurs-1. Thus we can have about 11 matches in a week.
-Among the 5 overseas player playing in a team not more than 2 can be from same country...it was weird to see 5 pakistanis playing for Dhaka yesterday
-Semifinal format should be modified as IPl 2011( only thing that i liked in IPL)
1st semifinal : 1st team vs 2nd team in table>> winner goes to FInal
Qualifier: 3rd team vs 4th team>> winner gets to play for 2nd SF with loser of 1st SF
2nd Semifinal: Loser of 1st SF vs Winner of Qualifier>> winner goes to final
Old February 29, 2012, 02:49 AM
Banned

I wana see BPL not fecking Pakistan Premiere League.
Old February 29, 2012, 02:55 AM
Banned

I have a question- do the matches really finish in 3 hours as scheduled? I never followed clock.