facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 10, 2018, 10:41 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default How long will the Big 4 play?

The big 4 are all in their prime now, they won't be getting any better than they already are. In ODIs, they have all been quite good over the last few years, customary choke jobs notwithstanding. Their ages are as follows:

Riyad 32
Shakib 31
Mushy 31
Tamim 29

Now SC players usually play well beyond their shelf dates and usually end up being cut from the team before they reluctantly retire. A lot of Asian players (batsmen in particular) have played till their late 30s or even till 40 (Jayasuriya, Sanga, Misbah, Younis, Tendulkar, Herath, and surely more).

So how many more years will these guys have?

Mushy, Tamim, and Riyad have good work ethic and are fit. I expect them to stick around till the 2023 WC, by which point Riyad will be 37. Tamim, has indicated his hunger to score 10K runs, etc so I expect he will try and play till the 2027 tournament. Shakib a few years ago targetted the 2023 WC, so he might actually be the first of the Big 4 to call it a day.

#OneTeam1Dream

Old August 10, 2018, 11:08 PM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

Like you said, all 4 of them have the work ethic and fitness to last till 23. If they can do that, it will be impressive indeed as they will have played 5 world cups!

But I see Shakib retiring from tests in 2-3 years and maybe Riyad as well
Old August 10, 2018, 11:09 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Riyad will continue to play into his forties. He is peaking. He can do a Misbah.

Tamim will fade away by age 36

Shakib is the one with the most workload. I reckon he will play till 37-38

Mushy- same as Riad. Needs to give up keeping and focus primarily on his batting.
Old August 11, 2018, 02:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Upto WC2023
Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself- AJH| Don’t disrespect your life by living aimlessly – set goals and work hard to attain them.
Old August 11, 2018, 03:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

Big 4?
Old August 11, 2018, 07:56 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

When I read the title I thought it was the top greedy international teams who are trying to destroy international cricket due to financial gains only.

Well it depends on the players and formats. I think all 4 might finish playing Tests in 3-4 years. ODI probably max they might go to is 36-37 if they are physically fit. Also it depends on the new players cementing their position in the team.

I think Shakib might be the first one to go.
Old August 11, 2018, 08:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Riyad don't belong there . He can't even make the test team .
Old August 11, 2018, 08:03 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
....Their ages are as follows:

Riyad 32
Shakib 31
Mushy 31
Tamim 29...
If Shakib and Mushi are same age then Shakib would never address him as bhai and Mushi as Moyna. +1 or +2 factor in most cases.

I'd say five years and we have to find better players.

If only Sarkar would develop consistency I wouldn't be worried.
Old August 11, 2018, 09:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
Big 4?
Technically big 5 but one will be retiring after 2019 WC - assuming his leg still holds up. That's all we have for now ... LOL.
Old August 11, 2018, 09:46 AM
Champions Trophy 2017 Fantasy winner
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Fizz

It's technically Big 3. Riyad's impact is not so huge and we can replace him easier than the other 3.

I'd say they all play till 2023. Shakib will retire from tests in a couple of years but will play 2023 WC.
Old August 11, 2018, 11:32 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tausif
It's technically Big 3. Riyad's impact is not so huge and we can replace him easier than the other 3.

I'd say they all play till 2023. Shakib will retire from tests in a couple of years but will play 2023 WC.
Riyad is very much up there with Tamim-Shakib-Mushy as an ODI/T20I player. In Tests, he's the vice captain and needlessly hogging up Mosaddek's rightful place.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old August 11, 2018, 11:35 AM
Cricket Sage

Tamim and Mushy are hungry to play Tests. I can see Shakib retiring from Tests in 2021 after the first cycle of the League ends. I'd like to see Shakib play till he got to 5000 runs and 300 wickets, but he probably won't be able to get there by 2021.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old August 11, 2018, 01:18 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

I like looking at this list of most 5 wicket hauls in an innings, from time to time:
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/wi/con...ds/283354.html

How far can Shakib climb in this list? Vettori is just above him (having played 60 more tests).
Old August 11, 2018, 02:18 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Riyad is very much up there with Tamim-Shakib-Mushy as an ODI/T20I player. In Tests, he's the vice captain and needlessly hogging up Mosaddek's rightful place.
I am gonna put Mominul as the one taking Mossadek's place. Guy has a test average of 25 away from home. At least Mahmudullah can bowl.
Old August 11, 2018, 02:22 PM
ODI Cricketer

In a few year's time we will be having other players coming into the fold and taking in more responsibilities but we can't really do that with giving has beens chance after chance (Sabbir and Sarkar for ODI). And neither can we let guys ride onto the performance of one innings into the next series.
Old August 11, 2018, 02:43 PM
Cricket Legend

^ i have a feeling Sabbir will fade away in the next couple of months/year. Not only is he not performing, his social media scandal/abusive behaviour outside cricket is also going to play a role.
Old August 11, 2018, 02:46 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzilla
^ i have a feeling Sabbir will fade away in the next couple of months/year. Not only is he not performing, his social media scandal/abusive behaviour outside cricket is also going to play a role.
He definitely has admirers in the selection panel and the higher ups in the team. The guy got in the national team after he was banned from domestic cricket. The selectors are the main problem. In fact there are plenty of people at BCB who still hold a soft spot for Ashraful and want him back in the team.
Old August 11, 2018, 06:41 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zura
I am gonna put Mominul as the one taking Mossadek's place. Guy has a test average of 25 away from home. At least Mahmudullah can bowl.
Hey sorry, but riyad averages 22 away from home...
Old August 11, 2018, 07:36 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

I think Tamim has the most drive of the lot, he seems to like challenge of international cricket, likes the pressure of being a senior player leading by example and wants to break BD records so I wouldn’t be surprised if he played for the longest.

Get the feeling riyad isn’t particularly fussed so also wouldn’t be surprised if he was the first to retire.

I think though shakib will probably give up test cricket sooner than the others because it looks to be his least favourite format plus injuries are building with this finger surgery coming up. But I think he may well play for quite a while longer in the shorter formats. I wonder if he’s still test captain and t20 captain when mash retires, if they don’t hand h8m the ODI captaincy maybe he’ll get a bit peeved and go rogue or just make himself available for t20s.

I reckon less than 5 years, unless Tamim has a particular itch to continue on for more records and kind of mentorship of younger players.

Mushy seems to of lost some desire, he doesn’t have as much grit as he used to imo otherwise he’d be scoring a lot more runs than he is and getting the team over the line more, but he also seems like the type of player that maybe won’t leave unless he’s kicked out.
Old August 11, 2018, 09:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

I hope a new player comes and disciplines Rahim. Make him bat without all the other non sense. If he performs, he stays. If not, he gets thrown to the wolves.
Old August 11, 2018, 10:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Thought you meant the top 4 nations by your title.
Plenty of time left.
37 too old.
Old August 11, 2018, 11:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

In my eyes, there's only the Big 2: Mullah and Imrul. And then there's the rest. God bless our master plasters.
Old August 11, 2018, 11:45 PM
Cricket Legend

At 37 a good player decline is rapid.
An average player like Mahmudullah its more likely 34 or 35.
Old August 11, 2018, 11:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
I hope a new player comes and disciplines Rahim. Make him bat without all the other non sense. If he performs, he stays. If not, he gets thrown to the wolves.
No wonder you are a Trump supporter. It's called alternative reality.
Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself- AJH| Don’t disrespect your life by living aimlessly – set goals and work hard to attain them.
Old August 12, 2018, 12:34 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
That won't happen. Firstly, Rahim has a huge ego. Probably a Napoleanic complex. But even when his captaincy was crap (arguably BD's strategy at the time, see note marked with asterisk below), he refused to give it up. When his wicket keeping was crap he refused to give it up. Secondly, he's one of the senior guys, and bengali culture is essentially one of elder worship. So his morobbi status alone will aid him.

Overall, if there is any personality in the team that this team should be moulded after, Rahim is the best choice IMO. He plays with passion, you can tell when Bangladesh wins, even if Rahim played poorly, he's over the moon. If the team loses, Mushy is the most glum out of the lot even if he scored a hundred. Compare to Shakib who would probably be busy getting into beef with fans (most probably the fans fault, but still).

Mushy is not afraid to speak his mind. I remember that instagram feed after the WI knocked India out and Rahim used social media in the most awesome way. He got the entire cricketing world to come out and show their hatred of Bangladesh the same way the world came after America after we left the Paris climate accord and the Iran deal. This is exactly the sort of leadership Bangladesh needs if we want to be a major cricketing power. Right now, England refuse to host us, Australia refuse to host us. If Bangladesh was half as good as Rahim is overseas, none of this would be happening.

In addition to this, Rahim is universally respected amongst the senior core group of players whose power is second only to Papon himself. They forced Hathurasinghe to resign. But Tamim-Shakib-Riyad respect Rahim because they recognize that he is the most complete batsman that Bangladesh has produced till date (Tamim is a close second, but loses points since he's an opener).

As a batsman Rahim is our most polished:

1) he has the most compact technique out of any player we've produced. Tamim is a somewhat close second and Mominul is third.
2) due to #1 above its little surprise that Mushy has a better Test batting average overseas than at home, and has 80% of his centuries in overseas matches (4 out of 5).
3) he can bat according to the situation at hand. he can either come in during a collapse and anchor an innings, or he can come in and blast off in the dying stages of an innings.
4) he can score 360 degrees of the pitch. we all know he loves the slog to deep midwicket, but he also has picture perfect cover drives, deft late cuts backward of square, and twice hooked Dale Steyn in his pomp for 6 on a Test match greentop in South Africa.

If there is any blemish on his record so far, its only been his recent trend of bottling tight chases. But its all in his head, and he will get over it, as he has seen us through before (World Cup vs India 2007, Asia Cup 2012 vs India, Test win in Colombo 2017, etc).

But my personal favorite thing about Rahim is his work ethic. Along with Mominul, he's the hardest working and most dedicated cricketer we have. And the results show it. With his fitness and tenacity, plus subcontinent cultural trends, I can see Rahim playing on till he's 40, till 2027. Maybe even a couple of years past that.

Rahim is exactly the type of player we need more of, and because we haven't is why we are ranked 7th in ODIs and 9th in Tests instead of being a top 5 team in both formats.

#OneTeam1Dream