facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 10, 2009, 08:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Default The Other Allrounder

Mahmadullah as batsman

First-class 41 73 10 2196 152 34.85 4 tons 9 50s

As bowler

First-class 41 3282 1654 56 5/51 Ave 29.53 3.02 58.6 5 fors 1 Tens for 0

OK, I had no clue who he was before the West Indies tour, and he's been a revelation ... so it's time to dig deep in the Cricinfo database.

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/...=733;type=year

Plays for Dhaka. OMG, his end to the 2008 FC season. Four matches, *Four* first class centuries in a row.

As a bowler, it looks to be pretty much nothing - takes 5 wickets in a match against Khuna starting 2 November.

So, yeah, it looks like a young bloke who got picked as a batsman has instead turned out to be an excellent offspinner ; I just hope the national selectors instruct his FC captain to make sure he gets more of a bowl next year.

Old August 10, 2009, 09:06 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

"excellent offspinner" is an overstatement until he faces a side that is used to playing spin. I sure hope he becomes so, but I'd not call him so until that happens.
Old August 10, 2009, 09:08 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

he was selected as an allrounder. He bowled and bat pretty well in this debut match against Srilanka in Srilanka. Took 2 wickets and made 30 odd in that game.

Naeem is another player who hardly bowled in domestic cricket but when entered to national team, he became a bowler who can bat a bit.!!! HE is a pretty good batsman.
Old August 10, 2009, 09:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib

I like the Shakib, Mahmadullah, Naeem combo as that gives you so much to work with in both the bowling and the batting line up. To know that Ash can turn his arm when needed is good too. If Kapali can continue his ICL form and be consistent (has shown glimpses with ind century, WI etc.) the BD middle order could become a force to reckon with within the next few years.

I think Shakib is still experimenting with the captaincy and figuring out who his go to guys are. Its much better than the formulatic 10 over by pacers and one spinner till the end of first powerplay to 15, most likely bowl out one of the pacers and keep spin attack till the death where the other pacer returns regardless of how bad he is bowling.

I like Mahmadullah in all three formats actually.
Old August 10, 2009, 09:10 PM
Club Cricketer

I still belive he should not be in test team, in test you have to be master of one, his offspin is very ordinary and batting wise, he can't be a front order batsman.. he can't go in 20-20 since he cannot hit and his bowling is very ordinary.

Look at Shakib, Flintoff,Vetorri, Kalis.where do you see this guy? Overall, I guess BD is wasting time on him..his batting was very ordinary even with WI B-team. I think Nayeem Islam should be one tried, at least this guy is a solid batsman.
Old August 10, 2009, 09:10 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

the 4 FC centuries came after he was dropped from the national team. there was an article about it where he says he went back and worked hard to improve so he could get back to the national team, he sure made himself known with those centuries and got a recall and since then he's done a pretty good job.
Old August 10, 2009, 09:12 PM
Cricket Sage

Nowe we have a snake in BC? OMG we have all types of animals here

really interesting
Old August 10, 2009, 09:12 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

BD spinning allrounder stocks look pretty good atm and may strengthen in the future. shakib, riyad and naeem are already looking pretty good and shuvo and nasir hossain are still to come in future years.
Old August 10, 2009, 09:16 PM
Club Cricketer

riyad can go only in odi..once ICL guys come back I don't see his place, at least there is kapali, aftab two off best ODI/20 batsman!
Old August 10, 2009, 09:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Rubu,

Quite possibly - but he doesnt seem to have bowled a lot of crap from what we saw in the West Indies. At worst, he keeps it tight, and coming in to right handers, or away from left handers, and therefore compliments Sakib/Enamul/Razzak.

Snake,

I'm not saying he's a *world-class* all-rounder. I'm saying that he's someone I'm quite happy to see bat at six and be the fourth or fifth bowler.
Old August 10, 2009, 09:34 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Ian

There was another unassuming Aussie in late eighties, who came into the team as a late order batsman ( batting at 7 ), who could bowl a bit, who eventually became one of the greats of the game after four-five so so years in the beginning after his debut. Name him?
Old August 10, 2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake
riyad can go only in odi..once ICL guys come back I don't see his place, at least there is kapali, aftab two off best ODI/20 batsman!
I dont see ICLers hitting 4 tons [in domestic FC games] BEFORE raise their hand for national team. When was the last time Aftab, Alok, Nafees hit a ton in local games? How many wicket Alok claimed last [latest] season he played?

What exactly is your standard of judgment for who is to pick for national team and who is not? Mahmudullah earned his place doing hard work in local games, so should be the case with ICLers, days of free ride by NAMES has gone long ago.
Old August 10, 2009, 10:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Beamer,

Was he the bloke who could never get a bowl because his captain didnt believe he could bowl ? Even after he took ten in a match against the Windies ?
Old August 10, 2009, 10:20 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorFan
I dont see ICLers hitting 4 tons [in domestic FC games] BEFORE raise their hand for national team. When was the last time Aftab, Alok, Nafees hit a ton in local games? How many wicket Alok claimed last [latest] season he played?

What exactly is your standard of judgment for who is to pick for national team and who is not? Mahmudullah earned his place doing hard work in local games, so should be the case with ICLers, days of free ride by NAMES has gone long ago.
I concur with this sentiment! some prestigious people in this forum wrote Mahmudullah off before the West Indies series..thought he was crap...but this kid has determination to improve at any cost...a rare trait found in the likes of Sakib, Nannu, Mortaza.

Ability is proven through performance, against anyone..enough said.
Old August 10, 2009, 10:23 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

No No..I was talking about Steve Waugh. He was quite an average cricketer for a while in those Aussie teams. First tour to England under Mark Taylor was when he announced himself to the world.
Old August 10, 2009, 11:10 PM
Club Cricketer

"I dont see ICLers hitting 4 tons [in domestic FC games] BEFORE raise their hand for national team. When was the last time Aftab, Alok, Nafees hit a ton in local games? How many wicket Alok claimed last [latest] season he played?

So, if a cricketer is dropped what is the return path, you won't let them the limited practise and domestic cricket?? it is already a proor quality grave yard. Regarding Kapali's standard, you should refer back to what Siddons talked about his quality and how he performed in ICL. You took Riyad and we lost against Ireland. Aftab and Kapali will get to any 20 team and their quality is much better than Riyad. Even Naimur Islam Durjoy got 5 wickest in debut but he was never a test material. Now, I understand your sentiment and for betraying if you think Kapali, Aftab won't get their place, then it is a different issue.If you ask from cricketing point of view, Aftab and Kapali should be in the team easily. If riyad really a great player he will come back with time. We shouldn't be at all complacent, another defeat against ireland, would jeopardise our cricket and for a poor country, it would be a big loss, not only in terms of advancement of sport but also it is giving a lot of money. If you still has doubt wait and see how his bowling fares with better team, the bad part is in every over he gives 2/3 hitting chances which you cannot afford at all with better team. Generally, in test you have to pick your best 6 batsman, best bowler and an wicket keeper. Now where do you see Riyad? Simply he doesn't have a place in my view..
Old August 10, 2009, 11:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Long way to go.
Old August 11, 2009, 12:27 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

Quote:
"I dont see ICLers hitting 4 tons [in domestic FC games] BEFORE raise their hand for national team. When was the last time Aftab, Alok, Nafees hit a ton in local games? How many wicket Alok claimed last [latest] season he played?

.If you ask from cricketing point of view, Aftab and Kapali should be in the team easily. If riyad really a great player he will come back with time. We shouldn't be at all complacent, another defeat against ireland, would jeopardise our cricket and for a poor country, it would be a big loss, not only in terms of advancement of sport but also it is giving a lot of money. If you still has doubt wait and see how his bowling fares with better team, the bad part is in every over he gives 2/3 hitting chances which you cannot afford at all with better team. Generally, in test you have to pick your best 6 batsman, best bowler and an wicket keeper. Now where do you see Riyad? Simply he doesn't have a place in my view..
why he will come back with time? he is the best find in WI tour. even 20/20 worldcup warm up matches he did excellent job. he is among top 3 all rounder in the team, he is performing either in bat or bowl and he is consistent. i think he has ability of becoming a great finisher. there is no way we can drop him at this moment.

please dont mention ICL, its a crappy league with bunch of old senior citizen. only quality team was lahore badshah (with some pak rebel) and DW failed against them miserably.

among the IClers only aftab is a class. i dont judge him with ICL performance. he will find a way to get into team, just dont know who he will replace.only time will say.

if alok and others want to get in main XI, they have to perform extra ordinarily.

there are so many players waiting in the pipe line, among them noticeable names are

nafis Iqbal
shohrawardi shuvo
shamsur rahman shuvo
rony talukder
robiul islam shiplu
marshall ayub
hannan sarker
talha jubair
sajedul islam
ziaur rahman

so they have to work really hard to compete with present team.

i see there is no position open at this moment. everybody is doing there job or atleast trying their best. if incase, only replaceable might be

in ODI
mehrab jr

20/20
Rokibul
mehrab Jr

test team------ perfect at this moment, even side bench.
Old August 11, 2009, 12:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Beamer,

Yeah, I wasnt going to put that sort of wrap on the poor kid, comparing him to AB. But you really would put him with Afghanistan's older, tougher brother ?

PoorFan,

I dunno. How about you go thru the FC records and tell us ?
Old August 11, 2009, 12:40 AM
Cricket Sage

snake bish ditese..!!!
Old August 11, 2009, 12:55 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by muradnyc
snake bish ditese..!!!

ha ha ha. so funny. stay away from snake or spray some carbolic acid, lol

i dont understand, why he thinks mahmudullah is the weakest link in the team?
15 members team.( mehrab jr-imrul-robin-rubel)--are not getting any game because of team combination. and he want to kick out mahmudullah--when he is performing.
Old August 11, 2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
So, if a cricketer is dropped what is the return path, you won't let them the limited practise and domestic cricket?? it is already a proor quality grave yard.
They were not dropped, they resigned on their own and eventually get banned, hence was barred from domestic cricket. They must have to perform in that 'poor quality grave yard' like many others does, not a big deal for those 'hot shoots' anyway dont you think?

Quote:
Regarding Kapali's standard, you should refer back to what Siddons talked about his quality and how he performed in ICL. You took Riyad and we lost against Ireland. Aftab and Kapali will get to any 20 team and their quality is much better than Riyad. Even Naimur Islam Durjoy got 5 wickest in debut but he was never a test material.
If we are talking about 20/20 than it is obvious that Aftab & Kapali has ability to score quick runs. But in other format its more about building partnership, concentration and commitment that those ICLers mostly lack. I have no idea why you brnging the name Naimur here! I thought I said 'how about their last [latest] performance in local games'?

Quote:
Now, I understand your sentiment and for betraying if you think Kapali, Aftab won't get their place, then it is a different issue.If you ask from cricketing point of view, Aftab and Kapali should be in the team easily. If riyad really a great player he will come back with time.
I have no sentiment on 'who betrayed who or what, and for what reason', never I said anything by this line. Its purely your assumption [on me] and rightly so you termed it as a different issue. Name value, or year old 20/20 performance in ICL or a praise from coach cant buy a ticket for national team. It has to be the performance in local games, and finally as you said on Riyad ... I also believe ... 'if Aftab and Kapali are great player then they will come back with time'.

Quote:
We shouldn't be at all complacent, another defeat against ireland, would jeopardise our cricket and for a poor country, it would be a big loss, not only in terms of advancement of sport but also it is giving a lot of money. If you still has doubt wait and see how his bowling fares with better team, the bad part is in every over he gives 2/3 hitting chances which you cannot afford at all with better team. Generally, in test you have to pick your best 6 batsman, best bowler and an wicket keeper. Now where do you see Riyad? Simply he doesn't have a place in my view..
What makes you think a 'defeat' against Ireland is not there if ICLers are in the team? Please check the record how many games we lost against Ireland, Zimbo or others WITH playing ICLers. I dont see how Riyad become the key figure for those 'defeats'! I dont deny Riyad bowl lose balls in some over, but that doesnt bring Aftab & kapali in the team automatic!?

You seems to have settled in your mind that Aftab & Kapali is much better batsman than Riyad based on ?? ... [I dont know what], and thats where my question is. Recent seasion shows Riyad has proved good to be in the team and of course may NOT good enough against top test team, and same could be said on Aftab & Kapali we have seen a lot already.
Old August 11, 2009, 01:28 AM
Cricket Legend

PoorFan,

Bangladesh's playing stocks are not deep enough that we can reject anyone who played in the Packer Circus Mark Three. So, personally, I am more than prepared to rate achievements in the ICL by the players who went there.
Old August 11, 2009, 01:29 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafiz

Riyad is a real asset to the team to add to the current all rounder list that we are grooming. When I look the number of all rounders increase in our team, it makes me feel that some day our team could also have good quality all rounders like New Zealand.

We already have Sakib. And the way our team goes, one good/bad player can influence the entire team. I see good days ahead inshAllah. Riyad may not be a world-class bowler yet, but so far he has proven to be decent.

His batting is classy though. Some may not like it because he does not hit too many boundaries. But his strike rate is usually quite healthy as he takes ample doubles and singles to back him up. He is a good player of spin which is good for his position in the squad. The few strokes that he plays are usually quite clean. This also accounts for the number of times he has been associated with a partnership worth talking about and also being not-out at the end of the innings. He surely values his wicket.

I think he is very much worthy of being in our squad and being persisted with. And with time he will surely get much better. He also has a calm personality like Sakib, and is a very hard worker unlike many of the "gifted"/"talented" players in our team.

Good luck Riyad! Keep up the good work!
Old August 11, 2009, 01:45 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Calm down guys, we will see how many paddy makes how many rice in up coming domestic season. Just few months left.

Yes, it could be that Riyad is the weakest link, however, his link (contribution) so far is much greater than below 20 ave Alok. Enough said.