facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Closed Thread

Old October 19, 2006, 04:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Default "Bangla Bangers"- discovery channel show on Lipu, the auto wiz

The alchemist's art: supercars from scrap
Take one rusty old banger, hand it over to the Bangladeshi metal-basher Leepu, and pick up a unique design sensation.
By Sean O'Grady
Published: 01 August 2006
Leepu is a sort of automotive alchemist. From Bangladesh. His speciality is to turn the base metal of a knackered Ford Capri or Toyota Corolla into the gold of a Ferrari look-alike or an original artwork. Or, in the words he uses to describe his latest creation: "This car is inspired by nature - fish, animals and birds. I take all the lines and all the beauty out of nature, then put all my imagination into the design."
His real name is Nizamuddin Awlia, but that's not so catchy, and you need something a bit more idiosyncratic if you're going to become an international star. This he is now becoming, with commissions from around the world. His most recent project was to build a car for a Discovery Channel programme.
Right now, Leepu is "artist in residence" at the Rich Mix centre in east London. For two months, he has been turning the wreck of a Capri into something more stylish, using only sheet steel, big scissors, some welding kit and his own ingenuity. Called Car, the result is on show until 4 September, with a film on how the vehicle was built. Leepu is charming and unpretentious. He is, plainly, a metal-basher as well as a designer. Watching him at work, it is obvious that he is very much at home with the raw material of his trade.
So how did this boy from Bangladesh end up mixing it with the great Italian coachbuilders? Well, his inspiration actually came when he was a 16-year-old living in Saudi Arabia. There, he visited his first motor show and, this being a Saudi affair, he feasted his eyes on the most exotic and expensive of machinery. He fell in love with the Lamborghinis, Aston Martins and Ferraris he saw. "They made me crazy. I wanted to buy them, but all the price tags were thousands of pounds. My dad said no!" His father bought him a Mazda rather than the sports car of his dreams.
He figured that the only way to get what he wanted was to build it himself. "In Dhaka, it was impossible even to find a car magazine, so I used to watch Magnum PI and Knight Rider just to look at the cars. I'd study the cars on the street."
In 1989, he made the Leemobil, a much more boxy affair than his more recent works. Soon, anyone who wanted a Ferrari look-alike based on a scrap car knew where to come. Typical of his wares was a Daihatsu Charade turned into a much sexier Leepu-mobile for a mere £2,500.
Leepu visited the General Motors Institute in Michigan, but was put off studying there by the volume of technical work. Instead, he opened his own workshop to get some practical experience, did that for three years, and then went back to Bangladesh. He started making cars to order, based on tired old Daihatsus and Toyotas. A couple of years ago, he came to the attention of Intersection magazine, and the international interest began.
Leepu is still forced to compromise because of the scarcity of parts in Bangladesh. For example, on one of his cars, a white Mercedes-ish limousine, he used motorcycle dials and lights to startling effect. His creations cost about £20,000. The black car featured in our main picture was built for £16,000. Although poverty is extensive in Bangladesh, Leepu points out that there are wealthy families and communities there who can afford to buy anything they want.
What is he going to do next? Nothing is finalised. He's working on another Discovery Channel show, and there's the possibility of making a car for the computer games company EA Games. He is clear, though, that he would like to do some more original work "with shapes inspired by birds and animals, such as eagles and panthers, branded as Leepu-mobiles". We look forward to them.
http://motoring.independent.co.uk/features...icle1206618.ece
http://www.rawtelevision.co.uk/Bangla.html

Last edited by imtiaz82; October 19, 2006 at 04:33 PM..

Old October 19, 2006, 04:34 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Watched the program on Discovery channel. Lipu was simply genius with his design. The experts from discovery was astonished with the transformation.

The program also shows the huge resources of Bangladeshi auto market (jinjira and dholaikhal).
Old October 19, 2006, 04:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Episode 1
DOWNLOAD
http://automekanik.com/banglabangersep1.avi

screenshot
Old October 19, 2006, 04:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Episode 2
DOWNLOAD
www.automekanik.com/banglabangersep2.avi

screenshot

Last edited by imtiaz82; October 19, 2006 at 04:42 PM..
Old October 19, 2006, 11:05 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Watched the documentary, it was awesome. Aside from his eccentric, primitive methods this guy is indeed very creative. So kudos to him!
Old October 20, 2006, 11:46 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

I kinda knew hi. his first car was shown in ittadi, it was a Ferrari/batman mobile. His brother use to send him car magazine from usa. but he is a genius. I knew him from my cousin's para...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old October 20, 2006, 03:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

The documentary was amazing and very enjoyable
Old October 20, 2006, 05:55 PM
Banned

Okey, I have to say this now. Specially, when I see that even Prof Yunus gets less threads than this guy on this board:

We really should not make too much out of a body-shop guy...

They are dime-a-dozen in places like San Fernando Valley of Southern California.

These guys put out some really amazing work, for very little money. They are eons ahead than Lipu. They do use laser and infra-red micrometers to do their jobs. At least some high-tech skills are needed there....

Lipu is not doing anything ground breaking or earth-shattering...he ain't even doing anything innovative!

It is embarrassing that some of us are so amused by this guy's work...

Lipu's type of work (not to poop your party with the possibility of a bank-braking copyritht infringment lawsuit, although the possibility is there) is put out daily by a large number of body shops. Only difference is that they bend sheet metals into the shapes of Toyota Carinas and what not...

If Lipu was banging sheet metal to make a body for a spaceship for NASA, would you call him a scientist?

Please !!!
Old October 20, 2006, 08:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
Okey, I have to say this now. Specially, when I see that even Prof Yunus gets less threads than this guy on this board:

We really should not make too much out of a body-shop guy...

They are dime-a-dozen in places like San Fernando Valley of Southern California.

These guys put out some really amazing work, for very little money. They are eons ahead than Lipu. They do use laser and infra-red micrometers to do their jobs. At least some high-tech skills are needed there....

Lipu is not doing anything ground breaking or earth-shattering...he ain't even doing anything innovative!

It is embarrassing that some of us are so amused by this guy's work...

Lipu's type of work (not to poop your party with the possibility of a bank-braking copyritht infringment lawsuit, although the possibility is there) is put out daily by a large number of body shops. Only difference is that they bend sheet metals into the shapes of Toyota Carinas and what not...

If Lipu was banging sheet metal to make a body for a spaceship for NASA, would you call him a scientist?

Please !!!
Billah bhai,given that the technology in bd is very old Lipu isn't doing bad either! Just think about the people using high tech machines in the garrages of America! But here in Bangladesh what we have? Nothing.

On the other note- to build the NASA spaceship a person needs skills, scientific thinking, scientific analysis i.e. now a days scientists are thinking how to build a spacecraft that will take them to mars without any fuel, it will be pure solar power. So in this sense those who build and improve the spacecraft system- are scientist.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old October 21, 2006, 07:29 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

this guy is genius in designing, has great imagination. but has a little knowledge of mechanics and machines. they way he took 7 inch off the shock absorber was stupid
Old October 21, 2006, 11:33 AM
Cricket Legend

amazing skill. ferrari enzo and lamborghini look alikes are good enuf for dhaka. The original cars wont survive dhaka's potholes & speed bumps with their ground clearance and there is no room for that sort of acceleration and speed in dhaka. Leepu Mobil is the last resort for ppl dreaming of luxury sports car in dhaka.
Old October 21, 2006, 01:13 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:

Can u tell me billah bhai why a channel like discovery would also think he is worth to have an episode or two? I mean I am sure they can go to SF OR SC to find those dime-a-dozen people then why bother? hey may be he is better than him on top of that he is doing it where no one else can think some thing like that let alone doing it...
Old October 23, 2006, 11:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovik
this guy is genius in designing, has great imagination. but has a little knowledge of mechanics and machines. they way he took 7 inch off the shock absorber was stupid
It does not take genius or imagination to copy someone else's design.
Old October 23, 2006, 11:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
Can u tell me billah bhai why a channel like discovery would also think he is worth to have an episode or two? I mean I am sure they can go to SF OR SC to find those dime-a-dozen people then why bother? hey may be he is better than him on top of that he is doing it where no one else can think some thing like that let alone doing it...
discovery also had shows on the dumb aussie idiot Erwin..depends on your POV..

Copying someone else's design and creating cheap knock-offs are not actually anything innovative. Discovery, with it's narrow outlook about Bangladesh (that has produced 3 nobel lauriets, a few world renowned physicists and oh, yes, a God for the chinese), is just amused that this is being done in Bangladesh...

It will help if we keep our own perspectives in focus about these or other hooplas.
Old October 23, 2006, 12:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Good to see Billah bringing some sanity to this awe-struck audience.
Old October 23, 2006, 02:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Looks like Bangladeshis don't like success of other Bangladeshis

I have seen people criticizing Dr Yunis and nobel committee saying that, it was more of a political issue, reduction of poverty has nothing to do with "peace".It was all a big scam.. While others were not too thrilled with Jawed regarding, you-tube. Afterall anybody can make a website and allow users to post bunch of videos. So similarly, Lipu is just another sucker relying on stupidity of general people for quick fame.

Last edited by imtiaz82; October 23, 2006 at 06:18 PM..
Old October 23, 2006, 03:05 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

Quote:
It does not take genius or imagination to copy someone else's design.
but he is the only hope for the few bangladeshis who want to buy sports car (atleast they look like sports car). and don't care about the car is safe
Old October 23, 2006, 03:28 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Billah bhai... Bangladesh context e Lipu'r moto copy-cat der value o kintu onek. From what I heard... he has a plan of producing brand new (self-designed) Bangladeshi cars for middle-income BD people which will cost about 2 Lacs BDT. Talent of this guy may mean nothing in developed countires.. but BD can use self-motivated guys like him for sure.
Old October 23, 2006, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed_B
Billah bhai... Bangladesh context e Lipu'r moto copy-cat der value o kintu onek. From what I heard... he has a plan of producing brand new (self-designed) Bangladeshi cars for middle-income BD people which will cost about 2 Lacs BDT. Talent of this guy may mean nothing in developed countires.. but BD can use self-motivated guys like him for sure.
Lipu will probably buy engines from China, other components from India and put the body together for his "car". We already have korimon and Nosimon for that. If someone puts a facade of a BMW on top of one of those, I can't call it progress.

Bangladesh light engineering industry, as I have found from first hand experience, has severe shortage of two kinds of skills. One, metalllurgical engineers, and two, the skilled "casting and moulding " workers. If it wasn't for that, we would have already produced indigenous cars, because, we already have or are able to manage the rest.

To be a car manufacturing enterprise, one needs to have skilled professionals, plenty of resources, supply of raw materials, a backbone sector, and good grasp of the local socio-political situation. Presently, I can't forsee any of those coming from the likes of Lipu.

However, he will, in the least, inspire this generation to take a serious look in to it..
Old October 24, 2006, 03:36 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
discovery also had shows on the dumb aussie idiot Erwin..depends on your POV..

Copying someone else's design and creating cheap knock-offs are not actually anything innovative. Discovery, with it's narrow outlook about Bangladesh (that has produced 3 nobel lauriets, a few world renowned physicists and oh, yes, a God for the chinese), is just amused that this is being done in Bangladesh...

It will help if we keep our own perspectives in focus about these or other hooplas.
Well if u think Erwin was Dumb then I can clearly see your POV and I rest my case. Good luck finding a better bangladeshi but then again no matter how good that person would be you would say oh there r dime-a -dozon in the world or in the univers and what deoes discover knows??? i know every thing... blah blah blah
Old October 25, 2006, 03:33 AM

Hmm ... once again we split into two side. I didn't see those video ( episode 1 & 2 on this thread ) yet, but let me share what I know for both side ( some of you may know already though ).

We all know 'Honda' is a world famous car manufacturer, and the name 'Honda' came from it's owner who died just few years ago. He used to be a bicycle shop owner and had a dream of making 'motor cycle' on his own, though he wasn't a auto mobile engineer. He started to copy-cat existing 'motor cycle' but focused on keep the cost as cheap as possible. He and his friends gathered parts from here and there, tried over and over for a long time, and finally was able to find their own brand. That is the famous '50 cc Honda motor cycle'. It was cheap and well convenient, and got popular all over the world very fast, rest is the history now, as we see 'Honda' as a big car manufacturer in the world.

Copy-cat is happening all over the world one way or another, Harley Davidson often accuse Japanese motor bikes ( Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha etc. ) copying their design. I am sure Japanese cars do that too, not the whole design but some of the design parts. And China manufacturing cars copying Japanese engine, which royalty expired after 15-30 years. It's happening all over the world and nothing new, just need to follow some rules and clever brain.

On the other side ... Vietnam car technicians are making new ( as it looks ) Benz, BMW, RR, Bentley using old, damaged and even stolen cars from Japan, Korea, Hongkong, Taiwan etc. for a long time. That doesn't mean they are anywhere near to be a car manufacturing country even the level of Malaysia, India, China. Almost 10 years ago I saw on NHK TV a BD truck technician in 'Jinjira' gathering parts & engine from a broken truck and making hand made new truck on his own. Did we get anywhere near to be a automobile manufacturer country?

Car manufacturing is a huge industry which needs thousands of parts & tools from thousands of different companies. There is a say, a country which manufacture cars, shows high standard and quality of her industries and technologies, means industries in steel, electrical, mechanical, technical, electronic, robot & computer etc.. In that sense, billah was quite right on his point, and agree with him that Mr. Lipu could be a good inspiration for us, and hope of couple of Mr. Honda coming days.

Btw, I was surprised when I heard that Japanese car manufacturer are making profit only $100 or so for each car!
Old October 26, 2006, 04:19 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorFan
Btw, I was surprised when I heard that Japanese car manufacturer are making profit only $100 or so for each car!
$100 dollar? Then where the rest of the money goes?
From where you heard this? I hope source of info is a car dealer.
Old October 26, 2006, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
$100 dollar? Then where the rest of the money goes?
From where you heard this? I hope source of info is a car dealer.
It was from a car manufacturer ( representative ) in a motor show I saw on TV. Rest of those money are simply cost, and mostly goes to hundreds of child companies who provide thousands of parts to main car company.
Old October 27, 2006, 02:17 AM
Test Cricketer

HI,
do you guys know any websites for cars in bd? i used to know a lot but i'm not able to remember at the moment..
thanks..
Old October 28, 2006, 04:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny747
HI,
do you guys know any websites for cars in bd? i used to know a lot but i'm not able to remember at the moment..
thanks..
Try www.drivetimedhaka.com
Closed Thread