facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old November 1, 2003, 05:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater
Default Reggae Music/Jamaica (2003 thread)

Ok this is for a music assignment thing
Does anyone know what music means to the Jamaican culture and a brief background??? I'm kinda desperate

Old November 1, 2003, 08:45 AM
Cricket Legend

BOB MARLEY WEBSITE
James, Man you got mixed up with some cool stuff today.The above is the official B Marley website. Let me know what else you need.

DO you mean Reggae music or music generally in Jamaica? Anyway if you want to talk about Reggae in Jamaica, you need to read a lot about THE - "Bob Marley". His music is a continuation of earlier Jamaican stuff like Ska but reggae is more political and is part of the Rastafari movement. Rastafarianism is a spiritual resistance movement According to the adherents Halle Selassie I, (claimed to be an ancestral descendant from King David through King Solomon, extending right back to Jesus Christ himself), was a staunch and defender of the doctrine of independence. Africanism and the basic beliefs and principles of Rastafarianism trace their roots from here. Also you might want to check out Marcus Garvey, he advocated that blacks go back to Africa and set up their own country, sometime in the early century.

He stood up for and the third world during a time when there were few voices. As such rastas admire him.
Selassie I and Ethiopia fought 2 wars with the then fascist regime of Italy. To get help the king sent out many appeals to the global community for assistance to beat this attempt at colonization.
In Jamaica especially, his message drew a favourable response and gradually was infused with Jamacan music and attracted many Jamaicans to the Rastafarian movement . That country became the spiritual and symbolic base in the West for the movement. Curiously other elements were added to reggae music, the smoking of marijuana as part of a spiritual exercise.
Rastafarianism got its spiritual messenger in , Bob Nesta Marley, Born, 1945, and through his music he became part of the 1960s icon: Peace, Love, and Ganja.

Bob used his music to give them a sense of awareness of history, religion, culture, and politics. He was also involved in Jamaican politics. Bob Marley took reggae and the resistance movement to the world audience, exposed Rasta and the Rastafarian message to the whole world for everyones to see. Rasta was universal. Marley died on, 1981. Today the Legend of Robert Nesta Marley lives on spiritually through Rastafarianism.

If you have some spare time today listen to Marley's "Waiting in Vain". After BD defeat today it sort of captures my feelings today.

[Edited on 1-11-2003 by oracle]
Old November 1, 2003, 04:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

I meant music in general but i figured i should feature more on Reggae music

Thx for you're help!!!