facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 8, 2019, 11:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla
Default Who is the best performer ever in a World Cup event?

We have seen some amazing individual performances in this year's edition. So far the top 3 performers have been Shakib (Allrounder), Rohit Sharma (Batsman) and Mitchell Starc (Bowler). Shakib in particular won the hearts of many cricket pundits and fans around the world with his brilliant performances. Now the rest of the cricket world knows what Bangladeshi fans already knew about him. Yet as I kept getting blown away by each performance, in every innings with both bat and ball, I couldn't help but wonder how good has he really been in historical context? So I decided to do an objective analysis by resorting to simple number crunching.

The Man of the Tournament trophy was first awarded to Martin Crowe in 1992. All MoT winners since 92, top performers from the world cups prior to 1992 and this year's top 3 performers have been included in this analysis.

To keep things simple I've only focused on runs scored and wickets taken. If a run is represented by a point then how many points should be assigned to each wicket? There's a general saying that a fifer is roughly equivalent to a century. If that is the case a wicket should be worth 20 points. However we know that fifers are rarer than centuries and they're harder to get. So 25 points per wicket seems more reasonable. The total points have been calculated by following this assumption. In other words, total points = runs + wickets x 25. Since players don't play the same number of matches, PPI or Points per Innings was calculated by dividing the total points by the number of innings played. Points and PPI were also calculated for 20 Runs/wk and 30 Runs/wk. The results are compiled in the following table:

The numbers are quite astonishing. Total points for Shakib (881) is much higher than anyone else, with Yuvraj (737) coming in at second. Shakib's PPI (110) is even more impressive. The second highest score in each category is highlighted in red. To put things in perspective, Rohit will need to score two big centuries and Starc will need to take two fifers in the semifinal and final just to catch up with Shakib's points. Even that will not be enough to get them close to his PPI. Shakib's world cup show has been one for the ages. In my view it was the best ever performance by a cricketer on the sport's grandest stage, and I doubt we'll see another one like this anytime soon.

Old July 9, 2019, 12:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Nice analysis and I agree with you!! I also felt (without doing any statistical analysis) that Shakib's performance is one of the finest in cricket history, still he will be forgotten just because he is from a lower ranked team
Old July 9, 2019, 08:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

Quote:
Originally Posted by oronnya
Nice analysis and I agree with you!! I also felt (without doing any statistical analysis) that Shakib's performance is one of the finest in cricket history, still he will be forgotten just because he is from a lower ranked team
Nothing would be more tragic if such performance is ever forgotten. He carried the team in the tournament almost singlehandedly and got very little support when he needed. Every time they show the top fantasy points, Shakib is head and shoulders above the rest. Today Shakib tops the list with 519 while Rohit is second with 425. It would be nice if they would also figure out the points for previous MoT winners.