facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 9, 2019, 07:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad
Default BD player World cup stats and reviews

Sabbir Rahman (1)

Batting average: 18.00 @ 97 SR
0 catches from two matches, Did not bowl.

Went for a duck against Australia, but managed to keep it solid against India and held hope for the chase. Disappointing fielding, especially being 12th man, dropped an important catch off Warner. Was only given two chances, one of which he did well, playing a smart innings and rotating well with saif, showing he is still a very good late order batsmen, however his legspin bowling wasn’t used at all, so his usefulness to the team is questionable.

Grade: D+

Mashrafe Mortaza [Captain] (2)

Bowling average: 361.00 @ 6.44 economy
Batting average: 8.50 @ 97 SR
Three catches from eight matches

By far and wide the worst player in the team. Would waste the new ball, bowl too short too often, never troubled the opposition batsmen, rarely finished his quota. Only good performance was the opening spell against West Indies, but that was never repeated. Unlucky to only have one wicket, should have got two more (one vs Aus, one vs West Indies) however would still be an incredibly bad average of 120.3. Fielding was also pretty bad, whilst he would never drop regulation catches, his ground fielding was terrible as he couldn’t run faster than a jog. Captaincy wise made very poor decisions, bringing on himself or rubel in the death overs, under utilised Sarkar’s bowling, conceded 350+ runs twice in this tournament. Overall a liability to the team, and probably the main reason BD failed to reach the semis, which is why I am giving him no grade at all, because he was that bad.

Grade: None

Mithun (8)

Batting average: 15.66 @ 84 SR
Zero catches from three matches

Has an ordinary showing, not very productive against spin in the middle overs and had poor shot selection when it came to attacking shots. Really not a good showing for him, and should have never been selected ahead of Liton. Very ordinary fielding as well. Really needs a couple of more academy tours.

Grade: F

Mushfiqur Rahim [wk] (15)

Batting average: 52.42 @ 93 SR (two 50s, one 100)
Eight catches, two stumpings from eight matches.

Our second best batsmen this world cup, was the rock of our middle order and justified the number four role. Instrumental in the South African and ~edit~ Afghanistan win, played very attacking shots when required to keep runs ticking in the middle order, played very few dots. His wicketkeeping still is a concern, as he made a couple of fumbles (most notably the Kane Williamson runout), though he did take some remarkable catches, and was generally sharp with stumpings. An overall very good performance and a stalwart of the batting order.

Grade: A-

Liton Das (16)

Batting average: 46.00 @ 110 SR (one 50)
Three catches from five matches.

Has gained some maturity of his batting, a great pull shot, and seems masterful against spin. He is basically Ashraful 2.0, which also means he has some of his weakness, any pacer that gets variable bounce seems to trouble him, as his weakness is keeping the ball down, because he enjoys those expansive drives. Always got decent starts and read the game situation well, but failed to convert those starts to 50s and too manly lapses of concentration. Still needs to work on his game, and has a way to go.

Grade: C+

Tamim Iqbal (28)

Batting average: 29.37 @ 71 SR (one 50)
Three catches in eight matches

Only two impactful innings against Australia and West Indies, of which the SRs were both above 83, however too many innings of terrible strike rate, and many silly dismissals and lazy shots (playing balls onto the stumps during an attempted guide to third man, or trying to hit his way out of his slow start. Was probably given instruction to play a slow innings, show he could stay in and bat longer, while it was up to Sarkar to keep the run-rate high. This strategy failed more often than it succeeded, especially with his continued bad show of running between wickets. Very poor ground fielding as well, dropped the prize wicket of Rohit. Showed good form when he eventually did middle it, but largely a forgettable outing for him in a tournament, yet again.

Grade: D

Mahmudullah Riyad (30)

Batting average: 43.8 @ 90 SR (one 50)
Two catches in seven matches, did not bowl.

Had plenty of starts but failed to convert many of them, had two standout performances against Aus and South Africa, at other times really struggled to get going in most games. Did not bowl due to a shoulder injury and was never needed to build an innings from a collapse. Not a bad show, but not good either.

Grade: C

Mossadek Hossain (32)

Batting average: 19.5 @ 106. SR (one 50)
Bowling average: 71.66 @ 5.97 economy
Three catches in seven matches.

Not quite an established allrounder yet, but has shown promise, his standout bowling performances were against Afghanistan and NZ, where he bowled brilliantly to contain the batsmen. A standout batting performance against Afghanistan. Didn’t really get that many runs, since he would come late in the batting order, still finding his way going from an established batsman to a late order hitter. Good signs so far, cant fault him too much.

Rubel Hossain (34)

Bowling average: 131.00 @ 7.7 economy
Three catches in two matches

His first spell against Australia was superb, gave warner and finch huge amounts of trouble. Though was misused in that game, and got smashed around in the death. Had a decent showing against India, helping to collapse them in the later overs. Excellent fielding, great catches and run outs, one of the best fielding performances. Had a decent showing considering he got two chances, should have been picked ahead of Mashrafe.

Grade: C-

Mehedy Hasan Miraz (53)

Bowling average: 56.83 @ 5.08 economy
Batting average: 12.33 @ 112 SR
Four catches in seven matches.

Though did not really manage to find many wickets, was very good at containing the batsmen, and stopping the runs in the middle overs and getting the key wickets. Had some good variation using the crease and angles to keep the batsmen tied up, but really needs to keep working on more variety in his bowling if he is to improve. Had a pretty poor showing with the bat, considering his batting ability, though he did come in at 8 or 9 during the death overs, so it would have been difficult. An okay showing for him.

Soumya Sarkar (59)

Batting average: 20.75 @ 101 SR
Bowling average: 22.75 @ 6.50 economy
Seven catches in seven matches.

Had an amazing showing with the ball, but a forgettable performance with the bat. Seemed comfortable against most attacks, but gifted his wicket too many times, failing to convert his starts. His seam bowling was very useful in containing and breaking up partnerships, should have been used in more matches. A decent showing in the field, would have gotten a D grade if it weren’t for his bowling.

Grade: C-

Saifuddin (74)

Bowling average: 32.07 @ 7.18 economy
Batting average: 29.00 @ 101 SR
One catch in seven matches.

A promising talent with both bat and ball, really isn’t a frontline bowler, but still got early wickets. Was misused as a second bowler. Bowled very accurate Yorkers, and was very good at death, where on occasion he would get some reverse swing. Really needs to add that yard of pace and continue developing his batting. Made a few fielding blunders and really needs to improve on this.

Grade: B

Shakib al Hasan (75)

Batting average: 86.57 @ 96 SR (five 50s, 2 100s)
Bowling average: 36.27 @ 5.39 economy (one 5 wicket haul)
Three catches in eight matches.

Really no words needed, undisputed best player of the world cup. Deserved better teammates.

Grade: S

Fizz (90)

Bowling average: 24.20 @ 6.70 economy (two 5 wicket hauls)
One catch in eight matches

Finished the group stages with the second most wickets. Death bowling was superb, however he had been largely toothless in the early overs. He really does need to work on his swing bowling, and stop bowling short balls early on the innings. Still a great showing and the main reason why sides have been stopped in their tracts in the late overs.

Grade: A

Conclusion: all in all a pretty average showing with only four players getting grades B and above. If the players who played more than three matches formed a GPA average it would only be 2.5.

Last edited by Nafi; July 9, 2019 at 12:40 PM..

Old July 9, 2019, 10:06 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

on Mushy: you mean Afghanistan win. against West Indies, he gifted his wicket away
Old July 9, 2019, 11:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Rubel overrated
Old July 9, 2019, 12:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
on Mushy: you mean Afghanistan win. against West Indies, he gifted his wicket away
Corrected
Old July 9, 2019, 01:11 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Pretty close to the GPA average I estimated as a team basis.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 9, 2019, 10:54 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Shakib A
Tamim F
Riyad D
Mushfiq D
Mash F
Fizz B
Saif B- Surprised Batting
Sarkar C Surprised Bowling
Mosaddek D
Miraz C
Rubel F
Mithun D
Liton C+
Coaches F
Old July 9, 2019, 10:56 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Pretty close to the GPA average I estimated as a team basis.
So as a team, we are still better than most?