facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 5, 2005, 07:28 AM
ODI Cricketer

Default Ashraful Comes of Age

Source: The Independent

Mohammed Ashraful had to face a new experience on his return home from England when his family was forced to shift their apartment for his heroic performances.

Instead of feeling proud for his memorable feat at Cardiff, the house owner behaved rudely after his first one-day international century which made his parents shift the house this month.

"The owner of the Basabo flat in the city was angry for the media men's frequent visit after Ashraful steered the side to the historic five wicket victory against Australia, revealed his brother Shipon.

"That's why we have decided to move and accepted the bitterness for the marvelous achievement of our beloved brother, he said.

The talented batsman was embarrassed for the situation and termed it as a new experience of his life who is very much accustomed with new sorts of conditions.

He felt shy when the discussion was going on but became very much enthusiastic when the interview took a U-turn about the recent amazing achievements of the Tigers.

After the Test debacle within two and half days, Bangladesh's performances in the one dayers came as surprise to many. But the youngster was not ready to accept it while talking to The Independent on Monday at his new flat as he believed that Bangladesh had the capability to produce such results.

"The team meeting after the Tests helped us bounce back morally in the tri-angular series. We have regrouped ourselves and planned to stick to the basics of cricket, Ashraful went on describing the situation of the team before the tournament.

"Every player of the squad understood that ODI is a different ball game and if we can implement the basics accurately the result will come," he said.

"Basic is the key for improvement and a team like us can only shines abiding by the every single step of the basics and could not miss anything, he opined. "If your basic is up to the mark, any extraordinary performances will change the situation, the second ODI century maker of Bangladesh said.

The third player who scored more than thousand runs in both forms of cricket of the country (1018 runs from 54 ODIs with one century and six fifties; 1184 runs off 27 Tests with two century and six fifties) after Habibul Bashar Sumon and Khaled Mashud Pilot said "We are in right track after the gradual improving performances in last few six months." The 21-year old was hopeful that in the coming years Bangladesh will reach a level in the international arena if the progression continues.

The key player was optimistic that if the present spirit persists in next tour it would not be impossible to win the three match one day series against Sri Lanka in September.

Talking about his tantalizing batting here in the country, the gifted stroke player said he did not want to change his batting style and believes that there is nothing wrong with his technique.

"You cannot change the batting in a day and the technique is not the main concern of mine, said new prolific scorer of Bangladesh.

"Which worries me as the mental condition, the youngest Test centurion noticed. He tried to develop the skill not to think about runs and it became fruitful in the triangular series where he scored 259 runs in six matches at an average of over 43 including a scintillating century and back to back two half centuries against Australia and England.

And although he failed to live up to that promise during the Tests against England, Ashraful was pleased by the way he responded to early failures later in the tour.

"I am more mature now in my thinking and batting. Now I concentrate on ball to ball and not think of runs because I know the runs will come if I can set myself in the crease," he said.

He did not see any difficulty to play the world class bowlers like Glenn McGrath, Jason Gillespe, Steve Harmission. When he was in song he rated every one similar but the less fiery bowler can be different in his bad times, he opined. Talking about his future plan the shining star of the Tigers revealed that he wants to play as long as possible.

But he nourishes a long desire in his heart to set an example like Aravinda de Silva and Arjuna Ranatunga winning the World Cup for Bangladesh.
Old July 5, 2005, 08:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Same old Ash.

Quote:
"I am more mature now in my thinking and batting. Now I concentrate on ball to ball and not think of runs because I know the runs will come if I can set myself in the crease," he said.
Old July 5, 2005, 10:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
He certainly was'nt thinking along this line during his last dismissal.
Old July 5, 2005, 03:34 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: sreesanth

i really liked his repeated reference to Allah during his MOM award interview after the Australia vs bangladesh match.

Edited on, July 5, 2005, 8:35 PM GMT, by Mon.
Old July 5, 2005, 03:41 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally posted by Mon
i really liked his repeated reference to Allah during his MOM award interview after the Australia vs bangladesh match.

Edited on, July 5, 2005, 8:35 PM GMT, by Mon.
i just heard him say "thank God"

did he say "God" or "Allah"?
Old July 5, 2005, 03:50 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

he said allah
Old July 5, 2005, 04:46 PM
ODI Cricketer

Iam sure he will the Bradman/Lara of Bd within 3 years!!!
Old July 5, 2005, 07:18 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone

I think Ash should play to the situation, rather than trying to spank every bowler out of the attack. He will learn with experience...
Old July 5, 2005, 07:37 PM
First Class Cricketer

we should not discuss who is saying Allah or who is saying God in this room