facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old June 11, 2007, 05:27 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
IMHO, this whole thread is very chauvinistic.
IMHO2 ... though not "very" but "somewhat".
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Old June 11, 2007, 06:06 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Herbert Sutcliffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAsif
No one is "ugly" as such bro.

Allah said in the Holy Quran in Surah Teen "laqad khalaqnal insaana fee ahsani taqweem"

"Indeed we created insaan in the best of moulds"

Ulama have said we should not make fun or ridicule people's physical appearances (though dress is different since that is something people can chose).
There is also a Hadith that goes along the lines, 'Allah is beautiful and Allah loves all that is beautiful'.
Old June 11, 2007, 06:09 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAsif
Can't we speak about something more meaningful such as the role of Irene Khan in human rights, or Konnie Huq's sister potentially becoming the first UK Bangladeshi member of parliament. I would like to request mods to make sure this thread does not become vulgar and trashy about who did "what" with who.
Oh, c'mon mate.. take it easy...
relax.

We dont have to talk "meaningful" all the time....
these forum is also meant to be adda...
and where else the adda be ( given most of the members r guys) without the most important topic, THE LADIES.

And this being a Bangladeshi forum, the topic of "Bengali girls" are long overdue.

If you really wanna be meaningful, lets keep Hasina Khaleda out of the topic.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old June 11, 2007, 12:23 PM
Banned

I really don't know what to say.

This thread is intended to be a celebration of the progress that certain women in our society have made (and in terms of Faria Alam, she has attained fame/controversy etc). Women have become heads of international organizations, military officers and so on. I don't see what is so chauvinistic about this. Did I say that women should stay at home in the kitchen or something? Dear Zunaid, I just feel that whatever I do you will find some excuse to criticize me. On one post you referred to people who bandy smileys around, as if that was a crime. Now you are saying you find this thread chauvinistic. Man..I just don't know. I am just not going to bother posting threads on this forum anymore.

As for including the West Bengalis, well if I had just shown Bangladeshis I would have been called a Xenophobe, racist, bigot without moderators even editing such personal attacks.

Anyway guys...don't bother replying to this as I am not going to read this thread again. If it bothers you guys so much I can edit my posts and get rid of all of the pictures.

On this forum whenever anyone, including me, decides to start a thread people start to mock and insult them .
Old June 11, 2007, 12:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Jhumpa Lahiri's not here? Starange!!
Old June 11, 2007, 01:09 PM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
The lady you are talking about is named Taslima Nasreen. I read in one of her book as she being molested by her uncle as a kid. Unless you were referring to that you might have a fix up as suggested by the person above.

Yes, she became highly controversial and gathered a lot of fame writing about woman's right. Then she said something that hurt religious people's feeling and she was drafted out of the country.

I did not read too many of her writings but I always got the feeling that she just wanted to be famous. Also, my personal opinion about her is that she starts her writing with a valid issue and in analyzing it, she will deliberately reach the wrong conclusion. and she is good at it.
yups she was kicked out of bangladesh she is right now in kolkatta west bengal and thinking of settling in india..she doesnt want to go back to bangladesh for obvious reasons and by that i mean for fear of being executed because of her highly anti islamic stance
Old June 11, 2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
Jhumpa Lahiri's not here? Starange!!
or Monica Ali, Arundhati Roy and Anita Desai?

No mention of half-Bengalis like Norah Jones, Monica Yunus, Anoushka Shankar either?

What about Jahanara Imam and Begum Rokeya Shakhawat Hossain? They did more for Bengali women's emancipation than anyone listed before? Oh wait... they're long dead and from our grandmothers' generation so they dont count!

Honestly if you want a list of notable bengalis, men and women might as well look up wikipedia. You'll find George Orwell there too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indfan82
yups she was kicked out of bangladesh she is right now in kolkatta west bengal and thinking of settling in india..she doesnt want to go back to bangladesh for obvious reasons and by that i mean for fear of being executed because of her highly anti islamic stance
I thought she was in Sweden? Oh well, we learn sth new everyday

Last edited by ammark; June 11, 2007 at 01:40 PM..
Old June 11, 2007, 01:51 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

As myself: Man, this guy can't take a little criticism for jack! What an overzealous little muppet. Yes, go on add that to your list of what you've been called.

And Ammar, Taslima Nasrin has been living in India for long time. Last I read about her, she was denied parmanent residency or sth like that.
Old June 11, 2007, 02:02 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shoaib THE MAN Akhtar

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Warner
There is also a Hadith that goes along the lines, 'Allah is beautiful and Allah loves all that is beautiful'.
What? So all that are not Miss World are not beautiful? There is another hadith; Allah doth not identify a person by his looks and beauty; but by his inner piety and humility.
I think that is what correlates to Beautiful my friend Warner.
Old June 11, 2007, 02:06 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
or Monica Ali, Arundhati Roy and Anita Desai?

No mention of half-Bengalis like Norah Jones, Monica Yunus, Anoushka Shankar either?

What about Jahanara Imam and Begum Rokeya Shakhawat Hossain? They did more for Bengali women's emancipation than anyone listed before? Oh wait... they're long dead and from our grandmothers' generation so they dont count!

Honestly if you want a list of notable bengalis, men and women might as well look up wikipedia. You'll find George Orwell there too!

I thought she was in Sweden? Oh well, we learn sth new everyday

Rokeya Begum did more more Bengali Womens right to education. She was a very religious woman; an extremely gifted woman; to study in school up to UNI in THOSE DAYS as a hijabi muslim woman along with the Hindus and exceeded is some achievement. Top ten greatest bengalis ever? You bet.
Old June 11, 2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWinder
There is another hadith; Allah doth not identify a person by his looks and beauty; but by his inner piety and humility.
So.... Hasina and Khaleda are part of this crowd too?
Old June 11, 2007, 02:15 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
So.... Hasina and Khaleda are part of this crowd too?
INNER HUMILITY and PIETY. Mashallah, our Khaleda and Hasina have nothing but the such
Old June 11, 2007, 02:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

IMO, GoldenAsif's intention was not to be sexist, prejudicial, chauvinistic, etc etc etc. He just wanted to celebrate the achievements of Bangali women ... even the most liberal countries have compiled such lists.

http://www.greatwomen.org/ would this be a display of Chauvinism, also?
Old June 11, 2007, 03:27 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrequiem
IMO, GoldenAsif's intention was not to be sexist, prejudicial, chauvinistic, etc etc etc. He just wanted to celebrate the achievements of Bangali women ... even the most liberal countries have compiled such lists.

Me 2. Guys, give the man rahman a break. he meant not anything sexist
Old June 11, 2007, 03:52 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Me 2. Guys, give the man rahman a break. he meant not anything sexist
I think you're confusing AsifTheManRahman with GoldenAsif. Last time I saw ATMR, he's not even 1% golden...may be a bit silver, with his shiny close-up-jhilik alaa teeth!
Old June 11, 2007, 04:41 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
I think you're confusing AsifTheManRahman with GoldenAsif. Last time I saw ATMR, he's not even 1% golden...may be a bit silver, with his shiny close-up-jhilik alaa teeth!
lol....whoever is getting labelled a chauv...him...whether shona goina or boro beta
Old June 11, 2007, 04:49 PM
First Class Cricketer

btw, i don't mind the this thread...it gives me more scope to see....sushmita.....drool drool drool...
Old June 11, 2007, 09:18 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
btw, i don't mind the this thread...it gives me more scope to see....sushmita.....drool drool drool...
Eto Islamic pechal paira ekhon Shushmita re khujen. Bhaloi, kalke Pamela re khujben, r BC te aisha ulta jhari loiben.
Old June 11, 2007, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrequiem

I agree. The originator of the thread is exempt from my charge of chauvinism. His heart was (is) in the right place. I am not too sure of some of the others who have responded to this thread though.
Old June 12, 2007, 03:07 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Eto Islamic pechal paira ekhon Shushmita re khujen. Bhaloi, kalke Pamela re khujben, r BC te aisha ulta jhari loiben.

Boyosh kale erokom hoy...
eta kono bepar na...
Old June 12, 2007, 03:14 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Sourav Ganguly

As long as this thread is active, i can add more pics

Here's Konnie Huq [on the left wearing white], Bangladeshi, UK tv presenter......this is the only G-rated pic i found, google her for more pics.

Old June 12, 2007, 05:27 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
What? So all that are not Miss World are not beautiful? There is another hadith; Allah doth not identify a person by his looks and beauty; but by his inner piety and humility.
I think that is what correlates to Beautiful my friend Warner.
My Dear Sidewinder,

If we decide to meet up and spend an afternoon going through the collected volumes of Tabari alone, we would find at least five thousand hadiths on any given subject either of us would recall. Anything you find in hadith to argue your side of the argument, I could find five others to prove my case, and in retort, you could find ten others to disprove me, and then I could find 20 others to restate my case! That is the beauty of hadith. It doesn't just allow you to see how the prophet would have lived his life, but it is an epistemology that teaches man the art of interpretation, moderation and a codification of life that suits his own purpose.

The hadith and beauty and loving the beautiful can be interpreted in many ways. This particular hadith raises questions about the nature of allah, what the idea of a theistic god comprise of, that god's intent and purpose. One Christian interpretation could well be that like the Bible's saying of God making man in his own image, here, the same Abrahamic god is stating that his creation is beautiful because he is beautiful, so there is nothing but beauty in his creation. So it is asking the man and woman to look beyond the facial scars, the deformed limb, the receeding hairline to the character of the individual. Beauty is equated to goodness here and that goodness is a moral goodness. That is my interpretation anyway.
Old June 12, 2007, 05:33 AM
Club Cricketer

This morning I have less on my plate. So I did a google search for Ms. Huq and the amongst many images, the following came up; I have posted the link as it is far to offensive to post here directly -

http://newcitizenship.net/images/bushfinger.jpg
Old June 12, 2007, 07:10 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
This morning I have less on my plate. So I did a google search for Ms. Huq and the amongst many images, the following came up; I have posted the link as it is far to offensive to post here directly -

Old June 12, 2007, 07:12 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

Heh, gotta love Google.