facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 2, 2011, 11:29 AM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
Do you think the selectors and team management are right in opting to pick only three seamers for the World Cup? Especially as Shahadat bowled very well for his club in the DPL and according to you is bowling very well in the nets?
I fully agree with the team selected, if that helps you.

There are players such as Shahadat (great in test matches), Rasel (who gives a left arm option) and others like Dolar and Robin who have all had their chances to impress at national training since September. Players were told the NZ and ZIM series were the warm-ups for the main event and to get selected by showing us consistency and fire power in national training camps.

The DPL is not international ODI cricket and we cannot put much emphasis on it for selection. It simply gives an idea who is performing at THAT level on some very batting friendly pitches. But the DPL is simply not a barometer for the national squad.

Old February 2, 2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarufH
Here is the profile of Farhad Reza: http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/conte...yer/55894.html

He is scoring heavily in this domestic league. He is also grabbing a lot of wickets.
And your point is?
Old February 2, 2011, 11:33 AM
ODI Cricketer

I was wondering what is your opinion on having both Mahmudullah and Naeem in the same playing XI? Since they are both offspinning allrounders, I don't think it provides variety.
Old February 2, 2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-ess
reading back on the thread on one's asked this yet so here goes..

As you may know by now Coach Pont that Bangladeshi newspapers enjoy messing with our heads. So my question (and I would REALLY appreciate if you answer this), will Mashrafe play WC or not ???
Please get over this emotional stuff and think clearly. The world cup squad cannot be changed unless there is an injury to one of the players. If that were to happen we can select a fit player to replace them.

No injuries = no replacement.

It would have to be an injury to on of the three fast bowlers, to bring in a bowler I would have thought. why would you alter the balance by selecting a batsman. So under those circumstances, we would need to see who was fit and ready.

Mash, for example, isn't at the training camp in Chittagong, so has missed 4 days here.

Work out for yourself whether he is likely to play in the WC?
Old February 2, 2011, 11:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: David Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
And your point is?
My point is kindly consider him as an option. No offense, but I think he would be a better player to pursue as a lower order batsman and a third seamer than training Junaid (?) to be a fast bowler.

Edit: Perhaps I am missing the point here, unless selectors give him the opportunity, you can not really consider him as an option? Is that what you mean?

Mods: feel free to delete if my comment is inappropriate.

Last edited by MarufH; February 2, 2011 at 11:43 AM..
Old February 2, 2011, 11:54 AM
Club Cricketer

In BD condition change of a ball after 35 overs will help the bowlers or the Batsmen?
Old February 2, 2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket46
I was wondering what is your opinion on having both Mahmudullah and Naeem in the same playing XI? Since they are both offspinning allrounders, I don't think it provides variety.
If the opposition has left handed batsmen then yes. Its like saying would you play Razzak and Shakib in the same team?

Plus Naeem is a sensational fielder and he and Ryad can really club a cricket ball.
Old February 2, 2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarufH
My point is kindly consider him as an option. No offense, but I think he would be a better player to pursue as a lower order batsman and a third seamer than training Junaid (?) to be a fast bowler.

Edit: Perhaps I am missing the point here, unless selectors give him the opportunity, you can not really consider him as an option? Is that what you mean?

Mods: feel free to delete if my comment is inappropriate.
Thats what I mean yes, He cannot really be selected for national team unless he actually gets the chance to train with the team. No offence to you either but club cricket in not one day internationals or the WC. And in the last 12 months Junaid has been averaging over 34 I believe with the bat, in ODIs. Junaid is not training to be a fast bowler btw, he is just bowling a few odd overs in the nets.

We have lots of lower order batsmen and really need a solid number 3. Junaid is being given that chance and can do it. No point in having ANOTHER lower order bits and pieces player.

One thing that Jamie Siddons has done well is stick by the squad of players in the last 12 months. They are bonding and blending well. He has been planning for this for a long time and groomed the players he has, Throwing in random players is simply not the way to tackle a world cup. This is the BIGGEST cricket show on Earth. If you need to, then the time to look at former players who last played 3 years ago is after the WC - not right in the middle of preparing the squad that's been developed to do the job.

Last edited by Ian Pont; February 2, 2011 at 12:27 PM..
Old February 2, 2011, 12:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ryan Ten Doescate

When bowling, what is the main priority of the fact bowlers? Is it to bowl to take wickets, contain the flow of runs or to make the batsmen play big shots, hoping for a miscue?
Old February 2, 2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheikh
In BD condition change of a ball after 35 overs will help the bowlers or the Batsmen?
Batsmen
Old February 2, 2011, 12:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Coach, do you have any plans to hunt raw pacers from all across the country? We want to see some bowlers who can generate an average speed of 145kph. When are we going to see Rubel bowl over 150kph?
Old February 2, 2011, 01:02 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Azharuddin

Coach,

Great to have you here. It is obvious the players are responding well to the coaching staff.

In our conditions, spinners are our strength. In the current setup, are our spinners getting their fair share of coaching time from you and/or JS? I read a lot about improving the fast bowlers. but what are we doing to develop/enhance the skills of the spinners.

Thanks!
Old February 2, 2011, 01:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: David Warner

Quote:
Thats what I mean yes, He cannot really be selected for national team unless he actually gets the chance to train with the team. No offence to you either but club cricket in not one day internationals or the WC. And in the last 12 months Junaid has been averaging over 34 I believe with the bat, in ODIs. Junaid is not training to be a fast bowler btw, he is just bowling a few odd overs in the nets.

We have lots of lower order batsmen and really need a solid number 3. Junaid is being given that chance and can do it. No point in having ANOTHER lower order bits and pieces player.

One thing that Jamie Siddons has done well is stick by the squad of players in the last 12 months. They are bonding and blending well. He has been planning for this for a long time and groomed the players he has, Throwing in random players is simply not the way to tackle a world cup. This is the BIGGEST cricket show on Earth. If you need to, then the time to look at former players who last played 3 years ago is after the WC - not right in the middle of preparing the squad that's been developed to do the job.
Thank you very much for the clarification. Makes a lot more sense. I totally agree with you/Jamie Siddons on this issue. One of reason why we failed to establish a solid test team in last 10 years is because of cutting and chopping.

Thanks for your insight. I hope and pray BCB extend your contract after WC. Bangladesh team really needs you. Also, if you have a long term contract, you will also be able to work with our bench strength.

Cheers.
Old February 2, 2011, 03:00 PM
ODI Cricketer

Ian, thanks for your response. However, the comparison is not quite the same. Razzak and Shakib are frontline bowlers, which is not the case with Riyad and Naeem. But I agree with your comment that the final XI should depend also on the opposition's composition.

Quote:
If the opposition has left handed batsmen then yes. Its like saying would you play Razzak and Shakib in the same team?

Plus Naeem is a sensational fielder and he and Ryad can really club a cricket ball.
Old February 2, 2011, 04:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

1.Coach you mentioned about Kamrul Islam Rabbi. Why he got your attention? Does he bowl fast? Can swing or seam? Please tell us more about him.
2. Do you know Emon, Abul Hasan, Alauddin Babu and Suvasis from Bangladesh domestic league? If yes who attracts you most?
3. How is Shafiul's landing? Is he still landing incorrectly with cross front foot? You already fixed it?
Old February 2, 2011, 04:25 PM
BanglaCricket BPL Fantasy League Winner 2012

Favorite Player: To Bash = AshDaFool

Quote:
Yes I am certain we will play all 11 as spin bowlers in Chittagong. All left arm probably.

Rumours are stupid and if made up by fans then you should treat them like that.
Old February 2, 2011, 04:32 PM
Cricket Guru

Glad to hear Sharapova is again bowling at 140K! He should be at the top of the list as the injury cover for pacers, not Mashrafe!
Old February 2, 2011, 05:55 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
I did not say Shahadat bowled that speed recently. I said this was his fastest. But you are WAY out if you think he bowls 130 kph. he's been bowling around 140 in WC practice with the squad so far and is easily the most aggressive fast bowler in the nets.

Shafiul and Shahadat are not batsmen in the way Dolar is. S and S are both tail end batsmen who can swing the bat. Dolar COULD be a real middle/late order batter. Swinging a bat is not the same as being a batsman.
don't intend to sound annoyingly brat-like at all, but i do have a fetish for the radar gun readings...

1) what would you say is the average pace of the guys you are working with right now? based on what i've seen, and you would know far better than me, i'd say:

Rubel = 140 kph on average
Shafiul = 135 kph
Shahadat = 128 kph (used to be 135 a few years ago)
Nazmul = 130 kph
Mashrafee (when fit) = 132 kph

2) is Shahadat improving his economy rate? Its a bit too much for him to go for 4 an over in Tests. Do you think he can get it down to 3.5 which would be a far better figure?

3) Have you had any time to look at Talha Jubair? He is usually always amongst our domestic wicket leaders. Andy Roberts saw him at age 16 and said he had the potential to be a 90 mph speedster. Not sure what his pace is these days, but according to Sohel NR, he's more accurate now.

thanks again for you time, Sir!

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 2, 2011, 06:16 PM
BC Editorial Team

Guys I'm realizing that Ian has a fairly limited charter of working with only bowlers in the national camp/pool and hence asking him about other players makes little sense. On that note, a more relevant question would be, how can Ian's charter be expanded?

Ian, under what sort of role could your coaching expertise be lent to other local talents that the folks are mentioning here. I'm looking for a framework here.
Old February 2, 2011, 07:06 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Please get over this emotional stuff and think clearly. The world cup squad cannot be changed unless there is an injury to one of the players. If that were to happen we can select a fit player to replace them.

No injuries = no replacement.

It would have to be an injury to on of the three fast bowlers, to bring in a bowler I would have thought. why would you alter the balance by selecting a batsman. So under those circumstances, we would need to see who was fit and ready.

Mash, for example, isn't at the training camp in Chittagong, so has missed 4 days here.

Work out for yourself whether he is likely to play in the WC?
Well Im glad thats been cleared up! to be honest, and I think I speak for a LOT of the fans, Im quiet sick of all these false TV/newspaper reports...the "will he/wont he?". Ofcourse some are also claiming he can be submitted into the squad right up until a certain date. Maybe it is just plain stupid to even consider some of these claims especially the latter one, if the fact is how you've stated "no injuries=no replacement". But when one's cricketing 'behind the scenes' knowledge isnt upto scratch then what to do I guess..

Thanks for that.

Last edited by Tiger-ess; February 2, 2011 at 07:12 PM..
Old February 2, 2011, 07:46 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
I said the ball CAN swing in the 22nd over onwards, depending on roughness of pitch and outfield. The spinners are usually bowling at that stage, there may be games were the fast bowlers could get a few overs to try and reverse the ball as a tactic of course.
Coach, I hope you already noticed this, but thought I should bring it in your attention anyway - Rubel has done much better (in terms of sr, econ, avg) in matches where he has been brought in as the first change as opposed to being used as an opening bowler.

His overall record -

2nd position 8 8 57.3 1 359 7 4/25 51.28 6.24 49.2 1 0
3rd position 6 6 51.0 2 306 12 4/33 25.50 6.00 25.5 1 0

Record at home -

2nd position 7 7 52.3 1 321 7 4/25 45.85 6.11 45.0 1 0
3rd position 3 3 22.3 2 122 7 4/33 17.42 5.42 19.2 1 0

IMO, for the match against India, instead of packing the team with spinners, Shafi and Naz should open bowling, and Rubel should be kept for middle overs to see if he can effectively use reverse swing (and other variations that he has in his armory), to see if he can unsettle Indian middle order.

Any thought, coach?
Old February 2, 2011, 07:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amar11432
Welcome Ian,

Hi! How is the team preparing in regards to udrs? I read an article which stated the Indian team is clueless about udrs and don't use it properly. Since WC'11 matchs will have udrs, is the team practicing with this system? Thank You.
Hi coach,

You already answered of of my question. In case you missed my other question, here it is. Thanks.
Old February 2, 2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Thank you for explaining that to me Coach but I think I am still a little confused about how to classify somebody as a Swing bowler or a Seam bowler? Or is there no such distinction?

Even though i know a bowler can have both attributes but I always thought bowlers that primarily rely on pitching the ball at fuller length and getting the ball to move in the air... like Hoggard, Waqar etc are Swing bowlers while bowlers whose deliveries move off the seam and not in the air (pitching at length or back of a length areas) are classified as Seam bowlers (Gillespie, Steve Harmison, Ntini, Ambrose etc)

Thank you once again for taking the time to respond to our questions
If the ball doesn't swing for you, and you are a 'swing' bowler (in your classification) then what bowler are you now?

Swing is all about the length you bowl. I understand the point you are trying to make but the ball will swing if you hold it correctly and bowl a fuller length. The bowlers who bowl shorter (usually because they are taller) will give the ball less time to swing.

Zaheer Khan becomes what bowler when the ball doesn't swing? Are you suggesting you wouldn't select him if he cannot swing the ball? Swing is simply a function of pitching the ball up further. The skill is being able to swing the ball aggressively like Dale Steyn does.
Old February 2, 2011, 08:34 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Pollard, Steyn

Coach, a warm welcome to BanglaCricket. It is absolutely wonderful of you and coach Julien to come the forum and share your views, and clarify things. We think hugely of our current coaches and thats just increasing.

My Question: Last Over of the match, 11 runs needed. We need 2 wickets to win. Who would you want Shakib to give the ball to? Rubel or Shafiul?

Rubel won the game against Newzeland and Shafiul did against England. Who do u think has the better potential to handle pressure?

Note : Fellow RED DEVIl FAN Rooney is back with 2 goals !! This season nobody can stop us. Treble, here we come
Old February 2, 2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amar11432
Welcome Ian,

Hi! How is the team preparing in regards to udrs? I read an article which stated the Indian team is clueless about udrs and don't use it properly. Since WC'11 matchs will have udrs, is the team practicing with this system? Thank You.
No. How can you practice something like this? It is simply if you think a decision is out or not out in your favour that you ask it to be reviewed. What is difficult about that?