facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports > FIFA World Cup Soccer 2006 (Archive)

FIFA World Cup Soccer 2006 (Archive) Biggest sporting event in the world. This is time for the sky high excitement.

Old July 10, 2006, 11:02 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tendulkar

Ribery muslim so what.Zidane is a muslim ,how does it matter ?
Normally people identify themselves more closely with someone from similar culture rather than with same religion but alien culture.When I see a famous personality ,to me it doesn't matter whether he is from my religion or not but it does matter if he is from my culture.

Old July 10, 2006, 12:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
i think chinaman, tehsin, and others are automatically [and falsely] attributing importance to shafin's posts.

shafin is not, at least from my understanding of this thread, making his imaan contingent on which celebrity also follows islam. in that case, chinaman is absolutely correct - there is a MASSIVE problem with that picture. however, i believe that that is NOT the case.

today, i feel that it is quite important, that celebrity muslims get publicized. this lends islam a 'normal' face. although we may be muslim, and not the kind that you see on the news 24/7, the majority of non-muslims will attribute islam to genocidal mania. they have no reason not to.

with celebrity muslims, you are able to show the human side of islam...the everyday side of islam. dave chappelle is muslim, so you can say "see muslims smoke weed and can make lewd jokes too...a muslim isn't exclusively a fanatic"

now i am not condoning drug use and lewdness, but i am attempting to make my point.

and if all else fails to convince the prophet (saw) used to pray "oh allah, guide amongst the disbelievers whoever you like more from abu jahl and umar"

in other words, the prophet recognized that abu jahl and/or umar's celebrity status would lend EARTHLY credibility to islam. key word, earthly.
Great post. Very well thought out and precisely presented.

I started out reading this thread without any strong feeling either way. But after reading all the posts, in my mind, this one stands out. Good job al Furqaan!
Old July 10, 2006, 01:08 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

ferdaus bhai,

what i meant to say in my post was that celebrity muslims give us earthly credibility in the eyes of non-muslims. their existance is anti-thetical to that which our detractors stuff down the public's throats day in and day out i.e that islam is evil and muslims are non-human viruses.

of course you are correct when u stated 'who cares what others think.' there are times when i am amused by all the islamophobia. and yes, in terms of divine credibilty islam doesn't need it; its a moot point.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old July 31, 2006, 12:20 AM
Test Cricketer

the matter of one's identity varies from person to person....i personally identify myself as a Muslim first then as a Bangladeshi....so it obviously does give me some good feelings when someone from my religion does something to be proud of.
"It is Allah who takes away the souls at the time of their death, and [the souls] of those that do not die during their sleep. He retains those souls for which He has ordained death, whereas He releases the rest for an appointed term. Verily, in this are signs for a people who think deeply." (39:42)
Old July 31, 2006, 02:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhferdaus
rather it should be what do we think about ourselves, and how are we going to live? to live as true Muslims or denounce our faith altogether and atleast show the grace of not being munafic? how should we fight the corruption and crimes which so much is in the vein of our system? how are we going to know about the fundamentals of Islam instead of calling ourselves Muslim just to make a label out of it???
mhferdaus, I understand what you mean but I think you are mixing two different issues. Its one thing living as a good muslim, fighting corruption, knowing the fundamentals of Islam and another thing saying some celebrity is a muslim. They are incomparable and you cannot justify that one is of greater importance than the other. Its like asking which is more important....eating green apples or watching godzilla? Doesn't make sense right? Just like that, your comparison (while thoughtful) doesnt quite blend in well...