facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 23, 2002, 11:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Bangladesh Cricket Board!

"The Board yesterday confirmed that all the hospitality (A/C and non-AC) boxes have been sold out. It expects to sell 35,805 tickets for each of the two one-day internationals in Dhaka. "

Okay, someone explain to me how they came up with that exact figure. 35,000 I would have understood, even 35,800. But Thirty Five Thousand Eight Hundred and FIVE?? HAHAHAHA.

I'm stumped!

Old November 24, 2002, 01:11 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

May be they just counted each and every seat
Old November 24, 2002, 01:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

I am no expert but that figure most likely came from the number of seats available. If the stadium (never seen it) does not consists of individual seats but has like flat bench for the spectators, then the number most likely came from the maximum capacity or the number of ppl the benches were designed for. It's certainly no prediction by any augur.
Old November 24, 2002, 02:01 AM
Cricket Legend

No, its not the number of seats. Actually, only a few galleries have seats at the BNS. The Club House at the Pavilion End and the International Gallery at the Paltan End have individual seats. Not to mention the hospitality boxes. The largest portions of the stadium, the East and West Galleries have paved steps. The capacity is supposed to be somewhere between 40 and 50 thousand but I've seen many more squeeze into the stadium. As a matter of fact, for the Third Final of the Independence Cup in 1998, (India v Pak) I would say there were almost twice that many in the stadium. It was unbelievable. I went a little late, and there were no seats left at the Club House although I had an original ticket. There were so many more people at the Clubhouse than there were seats, (not sure how they got in) I can just imagine how bad it must have been at the galleries. It was great though, nothing like a jam packed stadium, the atmosphere is just amazing.

Anyway, I guess that may be the number of tickets they are printing and they hope to sell out. But the question still remains, why print 35805? Why not just 35,800, or even 36,000. Given that most of the stadium doesn't have seats, I wonder how they got that exact figure.
Old November 25, 2002, 01:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Default BNS capacity

back when football in bangladesh was worth making the trecherous journey to dhaka stadium (as it was known then), we all swore that 100,000 would show up to watch tension filled abahani - mohammedan matches. Sure felt like it, and we based this on the experential evidence gained from attending political rallies where "lakh lakh lok" (hundreds of thousands) would regularly show up, thus providing the only yardstick by which to measure the capacity of the stadium!

I've heard the official capacity of BNS is 40,000, though. The number has to be an estimate as the bulk of the stadium is not fixed seating as sham described in his mail.
Old November 26, 2002, 04:13 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿
Default No doubt

Based on the concrete yardstick of "lakh lakh lok" - I can vouch for a 35-40K sitting capacity for BNS.

By the way, you gotta wonder what lakh lakh lok do at this meetings where nothing really happens. The words that come out of the Bokta's (speakers) don't even count as BS and there's really not much entertainment as most BOKTA's have no clue what they are blabbering about. Then again, this issue is better served for a different kind of board.