facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 24, 2003, 08:40 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default Care to go on a battle?

From BBC's International messege board:

"re: New era? Brijesh Pandey - 194th post - 24 Oct 2003 14:02
Does anyone else agree with me when I say history is about to repeat itself. Bangladesh is definitely not a strong force, I'm watching that match and they're bowling slower, lesser bounce but still got the English out in the first innings. I think a lot has got to with the fact that they're sooo poor. Except for Hasan Sarkar and Morataza everyone is very poor, they're playing good but they don't have a class. I think this test can turn into a draw. The facts have spewed forth in virtually every piece filed from Bangladesh so far, yet their true impact clearly hasn't sunk in. Here's a quick reminder (make sure the kids are safely tucked up, now). Bangladesh have played 24 Tests, and lost 23 of them (it would have been 24 if it hadn't rained against Zimbabwe), 15 of them by an innings. If - monsoons permitting - England fail to win both Tests by big margins, it will be one of the worst results in their history. Those are the facts, yet we seem strangely uncomfortable confronting them.
Why? Well, there's probably more to this than the mindless etiquette of pre-competition psychology. England are not good gloaters-in-advance at any sport, even rugby union. Gloating just doesn't sit easily with the national psyche, especially when it comes to that symbol of the sporting empire, cricket.

There's another reason. Ever since the moment every other major team managed to catch up with England - around the late 1970s and early 1980s - the drip-drip of confidence ebbing away has echoed through the corridors of Lord's. And it has continued to echo, even in the flintier days of Nasser Hussain, because of the continued subservience to the Aussies. If we don't gloat-in-advance, it's because we haven't had the practice.

But let's put all that to one side for the moment. England - fresh-faced captain, young bowlers, slow pitches, egg-on-the-Spin's-face and all - should thrash Bangladesh. Even their coach, Dav Whatmore, has said he doesn't care about losing, he just wants to see some progress. As a pre-series war-cry, this is unprecedented. As a Test side, so are Bangladesh. The equivocation stops here.

I think history is repeating itself in the sense Oz, South Africa and Pakistan are the top teams once again with NZ being a strong test team and India being a strong one day team! [reply] [Complain about this post] "