facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: Are you happy with the test squard?
Yes 7 16.67%
No 25 59.52%
50-50 10 23.81%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 8, 2012, 10:07 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
best chance for young players is for them to debut at home in conditions and pitches they are use to, if anamul and mominul don't debut in this series they'll probably end up doing it away from home in foreign conditions which really isn't the best way to debut them really.
For some reason I thought Anamul was there. But I am hoping in the 2nd Test they may bring Anamul and/or Mominul. Otherwaie it would be not so bold as I said earlier... even though there are few new faces plus few players who pretty new in test arena.

And yes it's always a good idea to bring more new faces in home games under known condition and crowd.

Old November 8, 2012, 10:09 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
best chance for young players is for them to debut at home in conditions and pitches they are use to, if anamul and mominul don't debut in this series they'll probably end up doing it away from home in foreign conditions which really isn't the best way to debut them really.

but at least gazi is there, we need some different options for spinner other than SLAs all the time so i really hope he gets a run in this series and i hope he can do well. i hope abul can do well also but going by his domestic and international records to-date i'm not expecting much. what's scary is that shahadat is the experienced pacer he's the one that rubel and abul will be going to advice for things.
Shahadat is still the best test pacer we have produced, so it's not so worrying. More over we have a coach primarily for pace bowling, so it's probably the best time for bowlers with raw pace to be in the team. If you are asking for Nazmul, you are being too negative/defensive in your mindset. We need aggressive pace bowlers in test matches,that comes with all the three pacers. We have a lots of spinners to check runs. Why should we go with Nazmul in test matches.

I'm more worried about batting. One of Anamul/Mominul could have been in the team.
Old November 8, 2012, 10:15 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Shahadat is still the best test pacer we have produced, so it's not so worrying. More over we have a coach primarily for pace bowling, so it's probably the best time for bowlers with raw pace to be in the team. If you are asking for Nazmul, you are being too negative/defensive in your mindset. We need aggressive pacer bowlers in test matches,that comes with all the three pacers. We have a lots of spinners to check runs. Why should not go with Nazmul in test matches.

I'm more worried about batting. One of Anamul/Mominul could have been in the team.
Nazmul might not have good pace but he is one of Bangladesh's best seam bowlers. He was the best bowler against Pakistan in the 2nd Test match because of his disciplined line and length and the movement he was getting off the pitch. So I thought he should've been there. Abul does have potential but is still very raw and a few years away from being ready.

Anyways, no point of really talking about what could've/should've happened. Whoever has been selected is selected now since we should back whoever is in the squad and hope for the best.
Old November 8, 2012, 10:35 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Shahadat is still the best test pacer we have produced, so it's not so worrying. More over we have a coach primarily for pace bowling, so it's probably the best time for bowlers with raw pace to be in the team. If you are asking for Nazmul, you are being too negative/defensive in your mindset. We need aggressive pace bowlers in test matches,that comes with all the three pacers. We have a lots of spinners to check runs. Why should we go with Nazmul in test matches.

shahadat isn't a very good test match bowler, he might be the best BD produced but that doesn't make him a good test match bowler, up and coming pacers need strong quality guidance and i don't see how shahadat can give that to them when he hasn't established himself as a decent test match bowler himself, he hasn't learnt control and that's something the young pacers need to learn and need guidance on.

why should nazmul be there? because he has much better control, keeps more to line and length, line and lengths that batsmen have more trouble with therefore he's got a good chance of taking wickets. nazmul has only played 2 test matches, he has a 38 average which obviously isn't great but compared to most BD test pacers it's not bad at all, give him his chance at least.
Old November 8, 2012, 10:36 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Bangladesh 11

Anamul, Mominul in place of nazimuddin and nafees would have been better. Not bothered about pace as they won't bowl more than 15pc.
Old November 8, 2012, 10:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

There are some weak link in the team. Nazimuddin,SN,Zunaid,Riyad.3 out of this 5 guys will get a chance to play the test. All of them will not do good. So i can see chance is still waiting for both Anamul and Mominul in the 2nd test.
Old November 8, 2012, 11:06 AM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

The only difference between Shahadat and Abul is that the ball will travel to the boundary quicker.
Old November 8, 2012, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Win or lose... I like this type of selection... risky but bold and brave....giving chance to some of the young players.

In this approach, every new player doesn't need to be successful.... if you find just one young player who shows potential and reminds you about young Sakib, Mashrafee or Tamim (talent wise) for every 2 series...and identify who has it (i.e. excel under presssure regardless of talent), that will take us further than investing on older players with known cronic desease.
Abul doesn't remind me of the young Tamim/Shakib. If SN/Nazim can get in based on what they did to Pakistan a year ago, I don't see why Nazmul can't. I think Loitta was right to meddle with selection - when your selectors have vacuums for heads, you need to *whip* them into shape. Everyone must be accountable for his actions.
Old November 8, 2012, 11:16 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Both Anamul and Mominul is far better batsman than Nazim and Nafees ! F*** experience when it comes to deliver both Nazim and Nafees sux big time.

And the less we talk about Abul, the better.

Big loss: Anamul/Mominul, Nazmul Hossain, Enamul Haque Jr.
Old November 8, 2012, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

I'm not too fussed about the exclusion of Anamul/Mominul. I believe the only way we can move up the rankings is by:

a) Giving the current bunch more time to develop
b) Holding back upcoming talent even if they are better than the current bunch, to make sure that when they are brought in, they are not just better than the current players, but better by a big margin. An occasional hundred or a few fifties don't fit that description.

I'm all for forgoing short term benefits for longer term interests. I think age matters and we need to get to a point where the average age of the team is in the late twenties - early thirties instead of continuing to rely on 19/20 year-olds. This works not just in cricket but other team sports too - soccer for example.

As for Enamul, tough luck, but I understand. Sunny hasn't done anything to get chopped and three SLAs might be one too many.

But picking Abul - now there's a disaster waiting to happen.
Old November 8, 2012, 11:39 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Abul doesn't remind me of the young Tamim/Shakib..
He shouldn't and he will never remind you a Sakib or tamim even in the best possible scenario. Abul is a FB and Sakib is an (spinner) all-rounder and Tamim is a pure batsman.

In a best case scenario, he may remind us a mashrafee in making. But if he doesn't and he flops big time with no sign of improment and promise...then no harm done.... at some point you cut loss and you realize he may not be ready for prime time and move on with another youngster in the waiting line. In my opinion that's how you search and find the next gem. FB can come and shine early in their lifetime where as it takes time for a spinner to shine and dominate. ofcourse there are always some exceptions.
Old November 8, 2012, 11:43 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Junaid and Nafees will get a chance... once they fail it will be another comeback for Ashraful and Rockibul and then once they fail we will be back to Junaid and Nafees... and the cycle will continue just like our political process

Enamul Hq junior seems to be in the best bowling form of his life at the moment so not picking him in the squad seems like a tough call regardless of how many SLAs we have. Hopefully Sunny will carry on the form he showed in his debut.
Old November 8, 2012, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
He shouldn't and he will never remind you a Sakib or tamim even in the best possible scenario. Abul is a FB and Sakib is an (spinner) all-rounder and Tamim is a pure batsman.

In a best case scenario, he may remind us a mashrafee in making. But if he doesn't and he flops big time with no sign of improment and promise...then no harm done.... at some point you cut loss and you realize he may not be ready for prime time and move on with another youngster in the waiting line. In my opinion that's how you search and find the next gem. FB can come and shine early in their lifetime where as it takes time for a spinner to shine and dominate. ofcourse there are always some exceptions.
So how long will it take for the selectors to move on from him? How long before my eyes are relieved of the pain of watching him spray it all over the place and lose his undies in the process?

Mashrafe crashed into the scene at 147 km/hr and with 4 wickets against Zimbabwe (the real Zimbabwe side, not the one made up of the current wannabe's). Abul crashed into the scene with 20+ runs off an over off a puny 15 year old in U-19 cricket.

Edit: Oh no wait, he crashed into the scene earlier, when he lost us an all-important game in the U-19 WC two years ago, from a winning position.
Old November 8, 2012, 11:48 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
no harm done for the fans perhaps but irreparable damage done to young careers for sure. If you keep searching for the next tendulkar or steyn among 19 yr olds then you will have to discard many potential talents before you actually land on somebody special. There is no quick fix or shortcuts in cricket and one has to do the hard yards in domestic cricket to improve their skills. God gifted talents will always be few and far in between and chasing after those will surely be a recipe for disaster. A player like Abul has a much better chance of succeeding if he plays more FC cricket before he comes on to bowl to the likes of Gayle, Chaunderpaul
Old November 8, 2012, 12:00 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Its a good decision to try with the 'reputed' players in the 1st Test and if they fail we might see Anamul/Mominul in the 2nd Test and almost certainly in one of the ODIs.

Like -
1. Inclusion of Gazi and Naeem

Dislike -
1. Abul
2. SN
3. No Enam Jnr. He is performing better than Sunny but Akram Khan said in press conference that Saqlain Mushtaq favored Sunny
Old November 8, 2012, 02:19 PM
First Class Cricketer

How on earth was Abul picked- the selectors were smoking or something?? This is absolute nonsense
Old November 8, 2012, 02:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

hmm now it's hard to say whether I'm happy with the selection or not. When we choose a player in our country we don't think that who is better than the other, our thought process works more like who is less crappier than the other. It's really hard to choose the good one from a basket full of craps. Apart from Shakib and Tamim I can't think of a single player who can be a auto choice. Not even Sunny (Enam Jr can easily replace him) and Nasir (he is hardly an allrounder nowadays so easily Anamul or Mominul could replace him in test in terms of batting).

But yes I am utterly disappointed with the selection of Abul. Just the thought of Abul and Shahadat bowling to Gayle, Bravo, Chanderpaul et al. makes me scared.

And good to see Gazi getting the test cap .
Old November 8, 2012, 02:45 PM
Cricket Legend

not happy, we are waiting to see what our experience not in form player's performance, which I think they will not perform good.
Old November 8, 2012, 02:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Manc
The only difference between Shahadat and Abul is that the ball will travel to the boundary quicker.
Old November 8, 2012, 02:57 PM
Cricket Legend

whats with this ABUL LOVE?
Old November 8, 2012, 03:05 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Please don't judge Abul based on his T20 performance. He may be a decent one in test. You never know. Akram is saying that he got raw pace. (Really don't know how fast he is). Besides I don't see him making it to playing XI surpassing Rubel and Shahadat..So no need to worry
Old November 8, 2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:

As for Enamul, tough luck, but I understand. Sunny hasn't done anything to get chopped and three SLAs might be one too many.
Bad luck indeed for Enam!

As for Abul, my guess is he won't be in the palying squad. He is there to get some confidence IMO.
Old November 8, 2012, 03:09 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
So how long will it take for the selectors to move on from him? How long before my eyes are relieved of the pain of watching him spray it all over the place and lose his undies in the process?
BCB should have some guideline about a) When to bring a new young player; b) what is expected out of him; c) what is the realistic duration to to evaluate to keep him or to cut him. We fans may have our own expecation and threshold based on our own biasness and taste, and it will be different for different fans ....which is ok. But BCb should have more standarized guideline (not rule).

Just beacuse BCB may be chosing the wrong person to promote or keeping someone too long is not an excuse to shut down new players for too long. There was too many failures ... but there were also success stories bringing new kids too early like sakinb, tamim, etc.
Old November 8, 2012, 03:17 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
no harm done for the fans perhaps but irreparable damage done to young careers for sure. If you keep searching for the next tendulkar or steyn among 19 yr olds then you will have to discard many potential talents before you actually land on somebody special.
If you ask me, there should be guideline, but there should not be "hard and fast" rule how long we should wait before bringing any new players. We shouldn't follow same "cookie cutter" method for all new players. Sakib and Tamim was brought too early and was thrown in the fire, they came back as steel. On the other hand regardless how many times we tried to bring Tushar (with lot of 1st class experiece), he burnt under fire.

Coaches, selectors (should) know more than fans (in general term) who has the potential to bring early and who need more time to mature, and should make decision to bring some players earlier than others. In the process, some people may misfire... that's fine....but we cannot take a position where we don't take any calculative risk at all. Me must take calculative risk with the understanding that some will fail but few of them may shine.
Old November 8, 2012, 04:00 PM
First Class Cricketer

Enamul Haque Jr. should have been picked. He is doing superb in domestic cricket. Besides, he has a lot experience in the international arena as well.
Zunaid Siddiqui should open with Tamim in my opinion. His Test record is much better than many who will certain to play against West Indies.