facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old February 16, 2014, 11:51 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা
Default Our liberation war being hijacked again - Hindi Movies

"১৬ ডিসেম্বর, ১৯৭১, শেষ হলো ভারত পাকিস্তানের তৃতীয় যুদ্ধ। প্রায় নব্বই হাজার পাকিস্তানী ফৌজ আত্মসমর্পণ করলো ভারতীয় সেনাবাহিনীর কাছে সেদিন। এটা ছিলো দ্বিতীয় বিশ্বযুদ্ধের পর সবচেয়ে বড় আত্মসমর্পণ। এই যুদ্ধের ফলে জন্ম নিলো একটি নতুন দেশ, বাংলাদেশ।" - ভারতে আজ একটি চলচ্চিত্র মুক্তি পেয়েছে নাম 'গুন্ডে' এবং যার শুরুর ভয়েস ন্যয়ারেশনটা নাকি এরকম। যাক, ভারতই তাইলে আমাদের স্বাধীন করে দিয়েছে, বাহ... (a friend in FB).

Any self-respecting nation will stand up and make sure that such elaborate hijack of a nation's history is strongly protested. I hope our PM will take this up through diplomatic means.

Old February 16, 2014, 12:36 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Virat Kohli

Most Indian's think 1971 was war between India - Pakistan. I once talking with my Indian friend's dad he was saying to me "Mukti-bahini kaha jeet paate..It was all Indian army who fought against Pak armies and gave Bangladesh Independence". If old people like him says stuff like this, then how-come new generation Indian's will get to know, It was us Bangladeshis who fought nine months and got our independence.
Old February 16, 2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehsin
"১৬ ডিসেম্বর, ১৯৭১, শেষ হলো ভারত পাকিস্তানের তৃতীয় যুদ্ধ। প্রায় নব্বই হাজার পাকিস্তানী ফৌজ আত্মসমর্পণ করলো ভারতীয় সেনাবাহিনীর কাছে সেদিন। এটা ছিলো দ্বিতীয় বিশ্বযুদ্ধের পর সবচেয়ে বড় আত্মসমর্পণ। এই যুদ্ধের ফলে জন্ম নিলো একটি নতুন দেশ, বাংলাদেশ।" - ভারতে আজ একটি চলচ্চিত্র মুক্তি পেয়েছে নাম 'গুন্ডে' এবং যার শুরুর ভয়েস ন্যয়ারেশনটা নাকি এরকম। যাক, ভারতই তাইলে আমাদের স্বাধীন করে দিয়েছে, বাহ... (a friend in FB).

Any self-respecting nation will stand up and make sure that such elaborate hijack of a nation's history is strongly protested. I hope our PM will take this up through diplomatic means.
I doubt our current govt. is that spirited to protest...^^^

Our most of the politicians sold their souls to "Pakistan & India" long ago anyway.
Old February 18, 2014, 12:31 PM
Cricket Sage

My two cents:

So our liberation war is so "Tutka" that it can be hijacked by a foreign movie producer so easily? if that is the case then I have so say it very fragile and need to be kept in a safe locker.

Now Should we keep our mouth shut and do nothing when we feel it is misrepresented in the movie?

Definetely no, a big no. As a civil society we need to protest and boycott the movie. if there is anough public outcy only then we can expect that governemtn will be foreced to come in the picture. Without doing our job i.e. not creating enough noice, and expecting government will come to the limelight, that is not going to happen.

If we really serious about the issue, then the civil society need to move it's bu$$ to create pressure to Government and the movie producer. I am pretty sure they are using this backgrond with the assumption that they will be able to markjet it in Bangladesh also. If you boycott, they may rethink and make correction so that it doesn't misrepresent our liberation war.
Old February 23, 2014, 03:39 PM

Bangladesh has lodged a “strong protest” against an Indian film and requested Indian authorities to take “appropriate actions” to stop its screening with “immediate effect”.

Read more Bangladesh wants ‘Gunday’ stopped
Old February 23, 2014, 03:40 PM

^^^ Good to see the protest from Bangladesh Govt.
Old February 23, 2014, 04:10 PM
First Class Cricketer

Really, take trash like Bollywood and IPL with a bucket of salt. Who cares what it shows and what it doesn't show?

Several hundred millions of Indians hooked to Indian films is bad enough but understandable, but I've seen Arabs and the rest of the sub-continent flock to these things en masse as well. No idea why.
Old February 23, 2014, 04:34 PM
Cricket Guru

Wait, what exactly are they doing?
Old February 23, 2014, 11:50 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName
Wait, what exactly are they doing?
Bollywoodizing a few pages of history.

Duh it's going to veer dramatically off course compared to what occurred in reality.
Old February 24, 2014, 12:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Any leg break bowler

I have watched the movie yesterday. I generally don't watch hindi movies unless it is really good.
Before i say anything this movie is simply hilarious. If they would have not brought the liberation issue it would have been a super flop. Although it is quite evident throughout the film that they intentionally tried to show that most people in bangladesh were indians and the war was therefore between india and pakistan.
Old February 24, 2014, 12:12 AM
First Class Cricketer

By the way it seems you folks have mass voted the film on IMDb down to a 1.2 rating from 37,500+ votes.

And it also pops up as the #1 ranked film on the bottom 100.
Old February 24, 2014, 07:23 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahroone
By the way it seems you folks have mass voted the film on IMDb down to a 1.2 rating from 37,500+ votes.

And it also pops up as the #1 ranked film on the bottom 100.

So bottom line is, never mess with Bangladeshis
Old February 25, 2014, 02:57 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

Well Yash Raj film apologised but I don't think its enough until they change the plot...

http://bdnews24.com/entertainment/20...ayal-in-gunday
Old February 25, 2014, 07:26 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

‘গুন্ডে’ সংশোধন না হলে ভারতীয় পণ্য বর্জন: গণজাগরণ মঞ্চ

http://bangla.bdnews24.com/banglades...e748963.bdnews
Old February 25, 2014, 09:36 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

We cant get justice for BSF killing Bangladeshis even after several protests....and we expect them to stop a movie beacuse of our protests.....
Old February 26, 2014, 06:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

guys, gunday is a yashraj banner film, which, if you follow bollywood, creates films that define mindless. it has a rating of 1.2 on IMDB. its films are written by people who completely lack basic GK, forget BD, they would be hard pressed to name the year India got its independence.

disclaimer : went to a multiplex last week with a friend. unfortunately gunday was the only movie showing in the timeframe available to us. we left within an hour, my friend was in facepalm mode for half that time. the number of howlers even in that small time period was mind boggling.

bottomline : films like gunday are not worth your attention, much less protests.

those who actually know anything about anything are well aware of and always acknowledge the bravery and sacrifice of MB.

here's a 3 part article by someone who actually participated in that conflict

http://www.indiandefencereview.com/s...-liberation-i/
http://www.indiandefencereview.com/s...liberation-ii/
http://www.indiandefencereview.com/s...iberation-iii/

Quote:
Untold Heroism of Mukti Bahini Frogmen: Prelude to Liberation - I
By Vice Admiral Mihir K. Roy
during 1971 war, Admiral Roy was head of the navy's eastern command. post retirement he headed India's top secret nuclear submarine program.

IDR is India's most influential strategic affairs journal.
Old February 26, 2014, 07:04 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Hey Neel da top post
Old February 26, 2014, 09:04 AM
Cricket Legend

thanks nekre bhai.

btw, this is from dhaka today.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...94325&__tn__=E

hoisting a flag upside down is a deliberate way of insulting it. (I know they probably made an honest mistake rather than aim a deliberate insult) yet how many protests do you see from India ?

in spite of everything BD has a lot going for it. does it really need some kind of acceptance from some c--- grade filmmaker ?
Old February 26, 2014, 10:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Any leg break bowler

Nice post Neel here, I wonder how could you sustain the whole time in movie theatre. I just finished the whole movie within half an hour in computer and felt like yak.. watching abdur razzak batting is much more exciting. But to a certain extent our protest was valid to give them a warning at least.
Old February 26, 2014, 10:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReZ_1
Nice post Neel here, I wonder how could you sustain the whole time in movie theatre. I just finished the whole movie within half an hour in computer and felt like yak.. watching abdur razzak batting is much more exciting. But to a certain extent our protest was valid to give them a warning at least.
we could not ! like I said, we left within the hour ! (the film is 3 hrs or so I think) that was the maximum we could bear, masochism not being part of our mentality. I don't think a formal boycott is needed. the hall had about 15% occupancy on a weekend evening show !

I agree to a certain extent a protest should be done but it should be seen as what it is -- a goof-up by an ignorant script writer.
Old February 26, 2014, 10:47 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel Here
thanks nekre bhai.

btw, this is from dhaka today.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...94325&__tn__=E

hoisting a flag upside down is a deliberate way of insulting it. (I know they probably made an honest mistake rather than aim a deliberate insult) yet how many protests do you see from India ?

in spite of everything BD has a lot going for it. does it really need some kind of acceptance from some c--- grade filmmaker ?
i dont think that was deliberate, a foolish mistake..nevertheless its an awful mistake, its disgraceful

r protest er bepare amar kichu bolar nai..amara Bangladeshi ra sobkichutei aktu besi lafai..besi emotional..
Old February 26, 2014, 11:25 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel Here
guys, gunday is a yashraj banner film, which, if you follow bollywood, creates films that define mindless. it has a rating of 1.2 on IMDB. its films are written by people who completely lack basic GK, forget BD, they would be hard pressed to name the year India got its independence.

disclaimer : went to a multiplex last week with a friend. unfortunately gunday was the only movie showing in the timeframe available to us. we left within an hour, my friend was in facepalm mode for half that time. the number of howlers even in that small time period was mind boggling.

bottomline : films like gunday are not worth your attention, much less protests.

those who actually know anything about anything are well aware of and always acknowledge the bravery and sacrifice of MB.

here's a 3 part article by someone who actually participated in that conflict

http://www.indiandefencereview.com/s...-liberation-i/
http://www.indiandefencereview.com/s...liberation-ii/
http://www.indiandefencereview.com/s...iberation-iii/

during 1971 war, Admiral Roy was head of the navy's eastern command. post retirement he headed India's top secret nuclear submarine program.

IDR is India's most influential strategic affairs journal.
Good post neel bro. But at the same time, YashRaj Films is a major movie studio in India. Their films have huge appeal and they have many blockbusters. I wonder how these ill informed scriptwriters gets to write stories for a top Indian movie studio.

You are a learned man and that's why the historical inaccuracy was glaring to you and made you leave the theater. But movies in India (and also in BD) are consumed by masses who are not as well informed, and a majority of them might take the movie narration as accurate. Now, if it is perpetuated more with other movies, then it will slowly start to seem true.

We should not go overboard with protests. And I hope there are more people like you who realizes that historical fallacy.
Old February 26, 2014, 12:18 PM
Cricket Legend

mufi bhai, you are correct that yashraj is a major studio with many blockbusters but a corollary of that is it caters to the lowest common denominator. as I said, its films define mindless. not only about the '71 war but also about everything else, really.

gunday btw had very little to do with the '71 war other than the first couple of lines of narration. its not a historical film (it's supposedly set in 70's kolkata but other than a few politically relevant posters written in bangla, it might as well been 90's mumbai. that's all history there's in it)
any influence on informing people would be next to nothing, trust me.
I never watch yashraj films.

bollywood does make some decent films that do influence public opinion.
shojit sircar's madras cafe on LTTE for example had a very strong political message. curiously enough it is very hated by tamils and well liked by sri lankans.
gangs of wasseypur (esp part 2) or even kamal hassan's vishwaroop are far better watch.
those are films which are legitimate targets of criticism because they stake a claim to accuracy.

I wish along with you that more historically relevant movies are made, such a neglected genre of film-making.
Old February 26, 2014, 12:43 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

^yeah good points. I haven't seen those movies you mentioned so can't comment. Shujit Sircar sounds like a Bengali name and he should make Bdeshi story related movies rather than some SL topics . In general, I think West Bengal region has a more favorable and accurate view of 71 comparing to rest of the Indian. Partly because of the huge presence of mukti bahinis there during that time and then influx of many unfortunate refugees. Or I might be just wrong.
Old February 27, 2014, 04:47 AM
Cricket Legend

correct bhai, people in WB are generally more aware but educated people in rest of India are usually aware as well. sircar is bangali but the tamil conflict was a nationally important topic nobody had dared touch all these years (we lost a PM remember).

hopefully some other does justice to the liberation war. good movies will happen as viewers graduate beyond song&dance movies. chander pahar, based on bibhutibhushan's novel beat dhoom3 in collections !
there's a new crop of directors in bollywood who make genuinely interesting movies which I hope would develop viewer's tastes as well e.g anurag kashyap, dibakar banerjee, anrag basu, sujoy ghosh, rakesh OP mehra, tigmanshu dhulia etc. as you can guess about half of that are bangali. bangla films have undergone a renaissance of sorts as well.

in all this I would hope for more 'literate' filmmaking in the future.

p.s. do try & watch films by the people I mentioned if you like serious but still entertaining films.