facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Closed Thread

Old May 22, 2007, 03:45 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Default Considering resignation, please voice your opinion

Quote:
Just like Ha Ba makes the whole team look meek and weak, your pacifist posts and analysis makes the BC members / fans look gutless and mindless.
Quote:
You are supposedly summarizing what the BD fans are thinking. And you are misrepresenting us to the outside world.
I am accused by a fellow member by two very serious allegations. If these are true, I have no right to work as a BanglaCricket Editor.

I opened this thread to know the truth from the members and I will request Mods and Admins to keep the thread alive for some time.

I took the post of BC Editor to spread the image of Bangladesh Cricket to internet world and I always try to build a positive image of Bangladesh Cricket and definitely up-hold the image of BanglaCricket.

Now, if I am using my time and passion to downgrade BC or make BC members/fans look gutless and mindless, I think I am not doing justice to my job and most importantly to the members. Writing regular tour bulletins, previews or analysis is never an easy job and I don't want to take so much pain to do harm to BanglaCricket members and fans.

This is not a knee jerk reaction from me. I am open to criticism and I want to make BanglaCricket a better site.

Now, I want to know the opinion of the members, if it's true that I am misrepresenting BC members to outside world, I don't want to cling to my post as BC editor.

Making you look gutless and mindless is an unforgivable offense, if I have committed that crime, I sincerely apologise to you.

I really want constructive thoughts from you.

Last edited by Miraz; May 22, 2007 at 03:56 PM..
Old May 22, 2007, 03:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

you are not critical enough towards BD team, but you should not resign, your articles are good.
Old May 22, 2007, 04:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Naf
you are not critical enough towards BD team, but you should not resign, your articles are good.
I will agree with it depending on your role. Are you simply writing the bulletin or are you voicing your opinion?

The recent bulletin is simply a summary that can be read from anywhere else on the web. But you can make it a unique piece by voicing your opinion regarding the happenings of the game.

For example, you wrote - at one point there was a possibility of a successful chase (though more improbable - you have to explain why is it improbable like - not all overs would be bowled due to deteriorating sunlight, Dravid would purposefully waste more time), but sending Rajin wasn't surprising to you? Y? Can you defend it? (, a possibilty of loss had we chased?) I think for most of us, sending rajin was pretty surprising...

you writings don't have to reflect the opinions of BC members... good writings always spark debates... but you have to defend it basically.

I think as a Bulletin write (summary), you are doing a great job... but if you wanna CHANGE something with your writing, you have to be more critical and involved like Naf said... People are reading your articles.

Bulletin writer = great job (but summary can be found at cricinfo as well)
Critical writer = needs to be more engaging... perhaps take longer time to write one piece, like one article per test...
Old May 22, 2007, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
I will agree with it depending on your role. Are you simply writing the bulletin or are you voicing your opinion?

[snipped]
Very astute observations, Orphy. As I mentioned in my post, bulletins are just that - bulletins/summary sans editorializing. For the latter we have the forum and our articles. A member (BC editor or whatever, they are all volunteers) have every right to yell "calm down" and another member has every right to excoriate him for this attitude. You can do both and still maintain a civil (if strongly worded) disagreement.
Old May 22, 2007, 07:56 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus

The recent bulletin is simply a summary that can be read from anywhere else on the web. But you can make it a unique piece by voicing your opinion regarding the happenings of the game.
Or just keep the bulletin as it is and start a seperate opinion piece accompanying the bulletin every now and then. It can analyse issues like the batting order yesterday, analysis of Ashraful as the captain on the first day or whatever is the current flavour. Your opinion, mind you, not as a representative of the forum or fans, though you can always borrow ideas.
Old May 22, 2007, 04:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Mirazbhai, your articles are great. As a banglacricket editor, you can't criticize the national team as much as a regular fan can and we all understand that. I can't believe you spend so much time making all these bulletins and we should be really grateful to have someone like you. Please stay. Ofcourse, everyone will not agree with everything you write but overall, you are doing a wonderful job.
Old May 22, 2007, 04:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib/Anamul

Miraz Bhai I think you are doing a great job plz dont just leave because of one persons comment. I dont think anyone else wud be able to do all these bulletins and articles as gud as you.
Old May 22, 2007, 04:04 PM
Club Cricketer

I don't think u should step down.. I read the article, it was ok..may be you could have been more critical but...
I think everyone got carried away with the thread u opened with a title " calm down"... its a classic case , everyone's mad.. u r asking people to calm down.. so u got yelled at.....
Old May 22, 2007, 04:07 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Oh! Miraz Bhai.. don't listen to those [] members..... they dont even know what they are talking..

You are doing an excellent job for our cricket.
Old May 22, 2007, 04:10 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Miraz bhai, if one thing I've learnt in this forum, it's how to be patient. There will always be an odd member that riles you up. You're intelligent enough, don't make a rash decision at the heat of the moment. Ultimately, it's your opinion and not everyone will agree with it. I enjoy reading your articles/bulletins, so best you can do is when writing about a debatable topic, such as today's decision to go for a draw, try to be more critical from both side of the argument.
Old May 22, 2007, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Members should be able to distinguish between a BC volunteers (yes, we are all volunteers, no 6 figure salary for us) personal opinions and official opinions. When we post on the forums we usually try to make it clear when we are speaking in our official capacity. Sometimes we forget. I think it is best to assume that a post is a personal opinion unless we say otherwise.

BC articles too convey the opinions of the author(s). Unless otherwise stated the opinions expressed are those of the author(s) only. Unless they claim otherwise, they are only speaking for themselves and not for the fans.

So whether Miraz is overly critical or not critical enough really has no bearing on whether he is one of the BC Editors (we have a few, helping with our article editorial workflow, bulletins et al).

Bulletins are a tad different. We try to make them be nothing more than a factual reporting of some event (coach, tour, match etc) without resorting to any editorializing. That does not mean that our internal biases often do not show up in the bulletins via the "title" or choice of adjective. We try to stay away from it.

Keep us on our toes when we fail. A little bit of fire under our feet should keep us all honest.
Old May 22, 2007, 04:18 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Bulbul ( past), Ash, Mash

miraz bhai , u r doing gr8 job.
Old May 22, 2007, 04:37 PM

Miraz Bhai, my thoughts have been expressed by Orpheus and Zunaid Bhai. Its constructive what they've said. Take your decision based on these, not on a whimsical emotion from a thread post. Wishing you the best.

What I would like to stress though, is: If you are writing an editorial as a representative of BanglaCricket.com members, then I think you ought to be critical at every point, give the reason why; and also compliment, giving reasons to that which deserves praise.
Old May 22, 2007, 04:41 PM
Test Cricketer

Miraz, if you really wanted to quit you would have done so already, so that means this is really an 'obhiman/goshha' thread, I think you're a bit too old for that. Quit if the other staff members are not happy with your work, not because of what a couple of 15 year old forum posters said.

I personally think you do a good job, and your writing quality is consistently high, don't know if that means anything to you, but there it is.
Old May 22, 2007, 04:46 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by capslock
Miraz, if you really wanted to quit you would have done so already, so that means this is really an 'obhiman/goshha' thread, I think you're a bit too old for that. Quit if the other staff members are not happy with your work, not because of what a couple of 15 year old forum posters said.
It's not an "obhiman/goshha" thread.

I really really got confused after those allegations, I have got a great passion for BanglaCricket and want to work for th site. But no way want to do harm to the spirit of the fans or site.

And that's why I opened the thread in search of the truth.

And yes it means a lot to me.
Old May 22, 2007, 04:50 PM
Banned

What ! No poll ?

I propose a poll here. A poll will give us a crystal clear, comprehensive, unbiased, total and complete view of public opinion on the subject. Next, I propose a Khondakar bulletin on the front page about the poll, so the rest of the world know how ALL of us are ever coherently thinking the EXACT same way about a subject matter.

1. NO.
Your analysis and posts are TRUE, UNBIASED and EXACT picture of the mindframe of EACH & EVERY fan of Bangladesh cricket. Therefore, henceforth, you shall write, on our behalf, all news, columns, bulletins (the heck with the definition of a bulletin), analysis, opinion, articles, interviews, tour diaries and everything else for ever and ever and ever. Your accusers should be punished on a public forum and banished for ever and ever.

2. YES. You are misrepresenting the thoughts of BC members, making us look bad. These accusations are grave and you should receive the capital (web versioni) punishment. Disconnect your internet, dump your PC, get on a plane and move to Kiribati.

Miraz: I have one question for you, since we are on the subject.

Think of this hypothetical scenario. Say, there was a discussion on Global Thermonuclear Warfare on a public forum. This forum, among many other, happens to be hosted on the Washington Post newspaper's server.

Now, let's say that one of the general public participating in this discussion happened to mention something I wrote on BC. Can I, then, open a thread on BC and say that one of my pieces was critically analyzed by the experts of the venerable Washington Post? Would that be appropriate or evern true? Or, would it be my shameless attempt in beating my own drum with misleading information?

Help me, please. I'm so confused.
Old May 22, 2007, 09:33 PM
ODI Cricketer

Billah!! You crack me up!! Well said!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
What ! No poll ?

I propose a poll here. A poll will give us a crystal clear, comprehensive, unbiased, total and complete view of public opinion on the subject. Next, I propose a Khondakar bulletin on the front page about the poll, so the rest of the world know how ALL of us are ever coherently thinking the EXACT same way about a subject matter.

1. NO.
Your analysis and posts are TRUE, UNBIASED and EXACT picture of the mindframe of EACH & EVERY fan of Bangladesh cricket. Therefore, henceforth, you shall write, on our behalf, all news, columns, bulletins (the heck with the definition of a bulletin), analysis, opinion, articles, interviews, tour diaries and everything else for ever and ever and ever. Your accusers should be punished on a public forum and banished for ever and ever.

2. YES. You are misrepresenting the thoughts of BC members, making us look bad. These accusations are grave and you should receive the capital (web versioni) punishment. Disconnect your internet, dump your PC, get on a plane and move to Kiribati.

Miraz: I have one question for you, since we are on the subject.

Think of this hypothetical scenario. Say, there was a discussion on Global Thermonuclear Warfare on a public forum. This forum, among many other, happens to be hosted on the Washington Post newspaper's server.

Now, let's say that one of the general public participating in this discussion happened to mention something I wrote on BC. Can I, then, open a thread on BC and say that one of my pieces was critically analyzed by the experts of the venerable Washington Post? Would that be appropriate or evern true? Or, would it be my shameless attempt in beating my own drum with misleading information?

Help me, please. I'm so confused.
Old May 23, 2007, 02:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTazim
Billah!! You crack me up!! Well said!!
Happy - I entertained someone.

Sad - Miraz has not answered my question.
Old May 22, 2007, 04:57 PM
Cricket Legend

why thinking abt resignation Miraz bhai? If you think you did a mistake/injustice somewhere you correct yourself. Its hard to please cent percent readers and some of these will hit you again in the future..... you are doing a fabulous job, keep it up....

i am assuming these comments came from an old member, cuz you shouldnt be bothered by such comments from a newbie....
Old May 22, 2007, 05:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Miraz bhai, you are doing difficult that nobody else was doing before ... so kudos for that!!! I applaud your contribution.

My only complain, is that in effort to be positive you sometimes lose objectivity (i am being harsh here). When you highlight the positives, it does not mean that the negatives does not exist... if you suppress the negatives it makes us look like we live in Utopia. Don't take it personally, you do a really good 90% of the time.

Conclusion: Don't resign!!!!
Old May 22, 2007, 05:13 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: The Umpires

Aww Cmon Miraz..you are joking..right? Scroo the guy who wrote what..keep it up!! keep it alive..

Remember what Ganguly told Bashar: Quitters arent winners
Old May 22, 2007, 05:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonBon
Remember what Ganguly told Bashar: Quitters arent winners
Bangladesh cricket is better off with Bashar as a quitter - Don't you think?

Sorry to digress.
Old May 22, 2007, 05:55 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: The Umpires

Absolutely Sire.. I was poking out some fun to cheer these guys up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
Bangladesh cricket is better off with Bashar as a quitter - Don't you think?

Sorry to digress.
Old May 22, 2007, 05:43 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

But I thought this was Bangladesh cricket fan site. Arent the articles created here supposed to be a little biased toward Bangladesh( in a good way)? I mean we could always read articles from Cricinfo and other news agency, but most of the time it would not give the point of view from a bangladeshi fan. I dont know about most of you guys but If I want to read an article that gives article of bangladesh as a underperforming team with almost no hope to improve in the future, I would go to cricinfo and other sites. Face it, Its a fan website and the editors here will try their best to stay neutral and honestly be critical but its only human nature to be biased and go for one side, and that makes the article more better to read.
Old May 22, 2007, 05:59 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

However, I am not getting the clear picture.

Quote:
Just like Ha Ba makes the whole team look meek and weak, your pacifist posts and analysis makes the BC members / fans look gutless and mindless.
Quote:
You are supposedly summarizing what the BD fans are thinking. And you are misrepresenting us to the outside world.
Are these allegations true?