facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 14, 2012, 03:11 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
I disagree on any other option instead of Mushy.
Anam is a new comer who is trying to establish himself as an opener or a top order btsmn, giving him the gloves is not going to help.
Dhiman is hopeless to me.
Besides Mushy is doing a fine job.
So why fixing something which isn't broken?
Why do you think he is hopeless? From BC forum here, I got the idea that he is a better keeper than Mushy. A lot of us wanted Dhiman to take up keeping and Mushy to focus on batting only.
Did you base your opinion because what he had said in the ICL time?

I only saw one match he kept against AUS so I don't have much to go by here.

Old December 14, 2012, 03:54 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
Really? Aren't wicketkeepers supposed to hold on to catches?
apart from that T20 he didn't drop any throughout this series as far as I remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meazz1
Why do you think he is hopeless? From BC forum here, I got the idea that he is a better keeper than Mushy. A lot of us wanted Dhiman to take up keeping and Mushy to focus on batting only.
Did you base your opinion because what he had said in the ICL time?

I only saw one match he kept against AUS so I don't have much to go by here.
I saw him last time which was probably when Aus visited, he looked nervous & shaky.

Anyway,I think dropping one or two catches happens to every wicket keeper, just because it's Mushy we go overboard with it.
Old December 14, 2012, 05:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: TIGERS !!

Quote:
apart from that T20 he didn't drop any throughout this series as far as I remember.

I saw him last time which was probably when Aus visited, he looked nervous & shaky.

Anyway,I think dropping one or two catches happens to every wicket keeper, just because it's Mushy we go overboard with it.
yes I agree with you look at current India vs Eng test Dhoni and Prior both dropped easy catches.. so why we are complaining all the time about Rahim. Why not talking about his some good catches, some of them were at a time brilliant. I think Rahim is the best keeper what we have right now.
Old December 15, 2012, 05:21 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
Agree with Mustafa bhai, Rahim should be persisted with for now. However, We should not throw away the idea of grooming another keeper. Jahurul + Anamul +Dhiman + Sohan should be properly groomed by the fielding coach. Anamul should keep in domestic/DPL/BPL/ Matches. we should consistently keep them in touch. Keeping is a specialized skill. if you lose it, that's it, you are no longer a keeper.

Rahim Alhamdulillah! has indeed improved on his keeping skills even if it be little since last couple of years. However, it is the lack of focus or sometimes distracted presence of mind which leads him to drop dollies(and many of our fielders as well.....)
I am no longer very confident about Jahurul. Rahim's keeping might have improved a little, but his keeping is way below the international standard, IMHO.
Old December 15, 2012, 05:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

The reason i want Mushfiq to drop the gloves for tests is so he can entirely focus in batting at #4. Dont want him to get tired from keeping all day. We need Mushfiq to be solid up the order because frankly we do not have any other options.
Old December 15, 2012, 07:02 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

in tests it's a very good idea for mushy to focus on batting imo, in LOIs he should probably still keep.

Last edited by Gowza; December 15, 2012 at 10:02 PM..
Old December 15, 2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:

If my memory serves me right, he dropped Bravo in the 4th ODI. He also allowed a number of bye and leg-bye fours that should have been stopped.

Everyone drops catches, but competent ones drop less. Mushfiqur drops more.
Old December 15, 2012, 09:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
The reason i want Mushfiq to drop the gloves for tests is so he can entirely focus in batting at #4. Dont want him to get tired from keeping all day. We need Mushfiq to be solid up the order because frankly we do not have any other options.
Who do you want to see keep in tests so his focus is not solely on batting at any position and not get tired? With our brittle bating line up do we have the luxury to take a keeper solely on his keeping ability even if we had such quality? Don't think so.

Should we make Anamul that work horse when he's yet to play his first test? Even after he plays a few more tests it won't be wise to give him the double duty before he finds his feet at the international level.

Fact of the matter is, we can complain all we want but there's none really better keeper/ batter package of a player out there for us to replace Mushy which is a sad thing.
Old December 15, 2012, 10:07 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaar
Who do you want to see keep in tests so his focus is not solely on batting at any position and not get tired? With our brittle bating line up do we have the luxury to take a keeper solely on his keeping ability even if we had such quality? Don't think so.

Should we make Anamul that work horse when he's yet to play his first test? Even after he plays a few more tests it won't be wise to give him the double duty before he finds his feet at the international level.

Fact of the matter is, we can complain all we want but there's none really better keeper/ batter package of a player out there for us to replace Mushy which is a sad thing.
dhiman is the best option if we want a keeper who isn't mushy but can also bat. he's done pretty well in the NCL and yes there is a big jump from NCL to test cricket but he's still a good option imo, he's quality with the gloves and has good batting potential. but the selectors always prefer to choose an extra batsman anyway and dhiman doesn't make it as one of the best 8 batsmen in BD therefore he doesn't get into the team. but as a keeper batsman package he's actually a good option imo.
Old December 15, 2012, 10:09 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Just because this is being done does not make this right. However, the keepers in other national teams can keep. Mushfiqur Rahim cannot! Even PAK gave up on Kamran Akmal, who was in the same "class" as Mushy in keeping.
prior wasn't a terribly good keeper to begin with, but he's gotten a lot better. dhoni has always been a decent enough keeper, in tests kaul is possibly a better option for them. when prior came along england had the same bug as BD do, they gave away keeping ability for batting ability.
Old December 15, 2012, 10:10 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
no better options with experience, but mominul and shuvagata are great prospects imo.
Old December 16, 2012, 01:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
dhiman is the best option if we want a keeper who isn't mushy but can also bat. he's done pretty well in the NCL and yes there is a big jump from NCL to test cricket but he's still a good option imo, he's quality with the gloves and has good batting potential. but the selectors always prefer to choose an extra batsman anyway and dhiman doesn't make it as one of the best 8 batsmen in BD therefore he doesn't get into the team. but as a keeper batsman package he's actually a good option imo.
Just as you said, there's a huge gap in quality between NCL and International level and until I see someone personally cannot speak of their caliber.

But who do you see Dhiman's batsmanship can topple in the current batting line up in Test? Forget one day; I think for ODI Mushy is fine since prices are higher to pay in tests than ODI's when one makes a mistake so it would be advisable to have a better keeper in tests.

Tbh, I do not see Nayeem's place in any team of our teams. Though he played gem of a inning (I believe it was a fluke) in the first test. But he's very limited and can be exposed once opponent figures him out which is why he was out playing stupid shots match after match. I think he should be replaced with Anamul who proved that he can bat for a long time though he too is technically questionable but far superior to MOKKA (not Mecca) Nayeem.
Old December 16, 2012, 05:19 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Just as you said, there's a huge gap in quality between NCL and International level and until I see someone personally cannot speak of their caliber.

But who do you see Dhiman's batsmanship can topple in the current batting line up in Test? Forget one day; I think for ODI Mushy is fine since prices are higher to pay in tests than ODI's when one makes a mistake so it would be advisable to have a better keeper in tests.

Tbh, I do not see Nayeem's place in any team of our teams. Though he played gem of a inning (I believe it was a fluke) in the first test. But he's very limited and can be exposed once opponent figures him out which is why he was out playing stupid shots match after match. I think he should be replaced with Anamul who proved that he can bat for a long time though he too is technically questionable but far superior to MOKKA (not Mecca) Nayeem.
well as i said i don't think dhiman is in the top 8 BD batsmen in the country thus he wouldn't topple any of the batsmen in the current line-up, but that's just on batting. i think with his keeping ability he maybe worth it over one of the batsmen in tests.
Old December 16, 2012, 05:50 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Quote:

That's the same mindset I feel the selectors have as well. They think, Dhiman as a package doesn't offer as much as Mushy which is why he continues to get overlooked.

Maybe we have to wait for Nurul Hasan to develop before we see Mushy taking off the gloves. Until then, it's unlikely it'll happen.
Old December 16, 2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
That's the same mindset I feel the selectors have as well. They think, Dhiman as a package doesn't offer as much as Mushy which is why he continues to get overlooked.

Maybe we have to wait for Nurul Hasan to develop before we see Mushy taking off the gloves. Until then, it's unlikely it'll happen.
You are right that the selectors are unlikely to replace Mushfiqur as keeper even if he drops a catch or two per match. Our best hope is someone new who can bat and keep. Let's see if Nurul Hasan can do this.
Old December 16, 2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
prior wasn't a terribly good keeper to begin with, but he's gotten a lot better. dhoni has always been a decent enough keeper, in tests kaul is possibly a better option for them. when prior came along england had the same bug as BD do, they gave away keeping ability for batting ability.
This is a relatively new phenomenon. Before, the keeper would be selected based on keeping. If they could bat, it was considered a plus. But, the thinking is flawed. One dropped catch can turn a match, as we saw in the T20.
Old December 16, 2012, 08:26 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
This is a relatively new phenomenon. Before, the keeper would be selected based on keeping. If they could bat, it was considered a plus. But, the thinking is flawed. One dropped catch can turn a match, as we saw in the T20.
i know it's relatively new, though it's been the regular thinking for probably a decade now.
Old December 16, 2012, 10:15 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

until mushfiq thinks he should be stop keeping and somebody else may be given a chance we wont see a new keeper.

or if sometimes mushy gets injured we might see a new keeper.

anyway the chances he missed of samuels again ZIA was tough one. even if he had coaught it it wouls have not been his credit, it would have been luck.

against spinners or slow medium pacers when a keeper stands up, he has very little time to react if there is thick edge and ball deviates. and it gets harder when the ball deviates opposte to the ball was spinning or drifting in as wicket keepers general body movement and momentum is towards the natural angle of the ball and as if the batsman will hit it and he would never need to gather the ball or the batsman will miss the ball and he will get the ball. but if there is an edge and it deviates the opposite way of the wicket keeprs momentum it very hard to shift momentum

anyway mushfiq has also missed some easier ones at times but i am not sure whether there is a better keeper at the moment in BD who is less prone to mistakes.

so all we can hope is mushfiq becomes lees prone to mistakes in future.
Old January 19, 2013, 12:38 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Those who said Dhiman needs be given chance need to watch him in the BPL. His keeping didn't look that great last year and today he was just worse than Mushy in his early days.

He has lost his keeping skills half of what he had when he played for BD 6 years ago.

Even Anamul made some silly mistake in last two games but he can be in the team as a batsman along (and will improve his wk skills with time just like mushy), but Dhiman can't, and nowadays nobody values a wicket keeper if they can't bat.
Old January 20, 2013, 02:01 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

^Saw Dhiman keep and bat a couple of years ago and he looked good enough to seem better if not too good for his surroundings. Didn't see him bat or keep last year so can't really comment on his game either way, but won't be surprised at all if it has declined somewhat. Our players tend to be oversensitive and lazy underachivers (AKA sissies) who can stay that way yet don't have scoring runs in casual and semi to non-competitive domestic cricket tragically called "FC: and "List A".

Having said all that, Sohan seems the more sustainable solution provided he doesn't decline before he's ready for the highest level.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old January 20, 2013, 06:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Dhiman is not good option the its looks, for now.
Old January 20, 2013, 08:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Mushfiq has probably been the best keeper in BPL so far.
Old January 20, 2013, 08:33 AM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

From what I've seen so far of all the Bangladeshi keepers, Mushy has been the best one. That take off Nannes was brilliant although it was a no ball so it didn't count. Anamul's looked shaky so far.
Old January 20, 2013, 08:39 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Mushy is undoubtedly one of the better WK in world cricket right now. Funny what some armchair pundits vomits out here in BC!
Old January 20, 2013, 08:54 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

I was surprised by how ordinary Dhiman looked behind the stumps. His keeping has really deteriorated since I last saw him. And he seems to have gained a bit of weight as well. He was very lean a few years ago.

I have always said Bijoy is an ordinary keeper and that he is not better than Mushy. Those who watched him keep for the first time will have now realised this. Nurul Hasan might be a compact keeper but his batting is non-existent. He won't play international cricket if he can't bat.

Mushy is the best we got.