facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old March 1, 2015, 07:25 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Alastair Cook
Default Resume-CV and job interview Tips

Hi everyone,

I noticed BC FC section doesn't have any career related topics ongoing although having a job or a good career is what most of us wish for. So why not we help each other a bit with some suggestions we know from our own professional experiences.

Lets share some -
** Good resume/cv building tips
** Key things you learned all employers look for/get impressed with

Last edited by Mav; March 2, 2015 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: pete betha

Old March 1, 2015, 07:52 PM
ODI Cricketer

Nice idea. resumes/CV, I think having results for each role is really important. clear concise setup. not too long...employers will decided in the first 60secs whether they like you or not, so open the innings with the best at the beginning.
Old March 1, 2015, 07:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All the Tigers

BC networking thread! Haha! Closing linkedin window, BC is all I need now!

I am looking for summer internship opportunity in RF/Microwave domain. Help anyone?
Old March 1, 2015, 09:05 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Keep your resume short, sweet and to the point. Do not be verbose. Even if you have too many achievements, you have to know yourself and the job market/goals you are after to highlight your most important achievements. Recent achievements stand out more. Different types of resumes cater to different career levels, For example, someone coming straight out of college will have a different resume compared to someone who has 10/15 years of relevant industry work experience.
Old March 1, 2015, 09:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Solid advice Rifat. Short and sweet is alway good.. Nobody has time to read nonsense... Key words are important..

Other thing I will advise is building on solid recommendation ... I think nothing beats a solid recommendation and a phone call.... anyone in position of power that can say good thing about you almost guarantees a job....

Sometimes making things easier for the hiring organization gives u better chances... That means u making the phone call and talking to the right person. ...

There are experienced corporate ppl in this forum that can give good advice, I was lucky enough to kind of have things streamlined for me... So never had a difficult interview ....

It also helps to be in demand field..ie programming... If u are a good programmer doesn't matter if u go to the interview with sweat pants on... U will get the job because they are lucky to have u..
Old March 2, 2015, 01:22 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Alastair Cook

In job interviews, I noticed, it's good to give the impression that you are someone the company can train quickly rather than you are someone who know it all. So have examples ready where you can demonstrate you learned something quickly (quick learner) because no matter how good you are or what your cgpa was in college, a good company will train you their system before letting you get busy. This is more applicable in entry-mid level openings.

Last edited by Mav; March 2, 2015 at 01:30 AM.. Reason: mathai ukun
Old March 2, 2015, 03:49 AM

iDumb and Rifat,

Different countries have different protocols regarding CVs/ Resumes. But on the whole I agree with you.

In North America, a Resume is generally a one-sheet of paper that has to highlight your strengths and experiences in the most succinct way. A Curriculum Vitae is more standard in Academic and maybe engineering/medicine related positions where there needs to be a lengthy detail on your accomplishments and work.

A North American Resume is really hard work.... you have to quantify your achievements and demonstrate them. And you have to be imaginative and yet stick to certain ways of presenting your strengths. If you can, you will need to demonstrate the STAR approach. To fit all this in one page, I've always found it really hard work. For different roles, and for people with different levels of experience, you are unlikely to find a format that will be the same that works for someone else. At the same time you may be expected to stick to a standard format that will come recommended from your college's employment assistance centre.

However, in Australia for regular jobs, all agencies prefer a Resume that is lengthy (2-3 pages) long that details your experiences and past. Given that Aus is 20 years behind culturally, these are still mostly referred to as CVs. Try using that term in the states for a regular job!

Speaking in the Australian context, the most effective element in the CV needs to be the first half of the first page where you should demonstrate the relevance of your experiences, and use keywords that match the requirements of the job ad. This grabs the recruiter's attention and they will then add it to the accept/deny pile. Secondly, a lot of recruiters simply use automated scripts at identifying keywords to screen the volume of CVs. So if the adobe/Word Find tool gets words that they are looking for they are less likely to discard your CV up front.

And most importantly: Write a damn cover letter! And make sure both your cover letter and Resume is customised as much as possible for the specific job that you are applying for! It might be repetitive and annoying to constantly edit, but if you don't have attention to detail and are unwilling to invest your time into tailoring for a prospective employer, then that demonstrates to me a poor attitude to carry.
Old March 2, 2015, 05:03 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark

And most importantly: Write a damn cover letter! And make sure both your cover letter and Resume is customised as much as possible for the specific job that you are applying for! It might be repetitive and annoying to constantly edit, but if you don't have attention to detail and are unwilling to invest your time into tailoring for a prospective employer, then that demonstrates to me a poor attitude to carry.
I came here to say pretty much what ammar said. Cover letter adds the personal touch and could really differentiate you from others holding a similar resume. The cover letter should describe as much as possible your current work in relation to the vacancy announcement.
Old March 2, 2015, 05:47 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

There are some things common to every Resume/CV when applying for a job IMO:

- Quantifying your statements, ie: increased sales by 20% or managed 15 people
- Always highlight that you have used Excel and Powerpoint(any other software) and for how many years you have used it (including Uni years)
- Interests is often left too general ie enjoy reading books and travelling. This is where one can stand out by saying a bit more about themselves so that they are interesting as a person. In my CV I have mentioned that my interests are in cricket and I have attended two World Cups. All my interviewers have spoken to me for a few minutes at the end of an interview about cricket.