facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

View Poll Results: As a struggling developing nation, what are your opinions about military expenditure?
The BD government should reduce the amount it spends on the armed forces 3 15.79%
The BD government should continue with military expenditure at current levels 12 63.16%
BD doesn't need a military bigger than Habiganj thana police-we don't need a military 4 21.05%
I have no particular opinion on this matter 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 20, 2006, 01:13 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylheti
Can anybody in the know please confirm the average pay of Bangladeshi army officers? I have doubts whether they are (officially and legally) paid well enough to be able to send their children abroad, paying course fees and accommodation amounting to over £20,000 annually.
Over £20,000 annually is bit of an exaggeration, unless these kids live in luxary. Why do you assume these army men are paying for it with their regular income? Don't you think after at least 15-20 years in services they should be capable enough to send their kids to good universities? Do savings and personal assets ring any bell? Do you even know what courses they came to study? KCL is well-known for War Studies, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the BD gov't partially funded these kids to study there for pursuing a career in the Bangladesh military.

Also don't you think there is a possibility that some of these kids are staying with relatives, doing part-time jobs, or may be even received scholarships/bursary from KCL? Six kids of Bangladeshi military men in one event of a single university is not an isolated occurrence. Don't be so quick to assume Bangladeshis are that poor to not afford good education abroad. If you aren’t even a Bangladeshi citizen, nor have any intention to, why do you give a damn?

Old November 20, 2006, 03:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Where is the option "BD needs to increase Expenditure"?
Mods please add this option.
Old November 20, 2006, 04:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatebreed
Over £20,000 annually is bit of an exaggeration, unless these kids live in luxary. Why do you assume these army men are paying for it with their regular income? Don't you think after at least 15-20 years in services they should be capable enough to send their kids to good universities? Do savings and personal assets ring any bell? Do you even know what courses they came to study? KCL is well-known for War Studies, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the BD gov't partially funded these kids to study there for pursuing a career in the Bangladesh military.
I don't know detail whethet Army are corrupted or not. But I have a friend. His father was Colonel (retired 2 years ago). He told me in purchasing something for Army, there is always corruption.
Old November 20, 2006, 07:00 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_dorshok
I don't know detail whethet Army are corrupted or not. But I have a friend. His father was Colonel (retired 2 years ago). He told me in purchasing something for Army, there is always corruption.
There is corruption because there is scope for corruption. Our budget system is flawed that allows top officials in any sector to exploit loopholes to their advantage. That doesn't necessarily mean their allocated expenditure is high, it's just these corrupt individuals strain the resources that's made available. I have a perfect example, the tax redeem for members of parliament who can purchase cars tax free, but instead they can (and do) sell the papers for profit. That's easily up to 20-30 lakh taka! So what we need is to rectify the system and make privileges and transactions more transparent.
Old November 20, 2006, 01:40 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Wow!! Some debate!!

£20,000?? utterly rubbish in the 1st place. Unless you are talking about those civil sectors corrupted businessman's rich kids or kids from immigrants whose parents worked hard to get the money for them to spent left and right. Those who live in UK can attest how much yearly a student tuition fees and room & board costs on the average. My guess would be not more than 10k.

Every year Armed force is getting approx $200,000 million USD. Generals, senior officers are getting a share when they are doing their peacekeeping duties. This has been going on for a while. With a $100,000 - $200,000 salary (with the peacekeeping) minimum of two years (some times 4 years) can give anyone the financial backing to send their kids any where they wish. Since this is United Nations salary it should be Halal.

Daily Stars report:
Drama sells!! Putting down people / Govt / armed forces serves the purpose of the Ind*an govt and their chelas. Fabricating news and then saying sorry "already" does the damage. People who tend to take the news at its face value are misled to support the violent causes that is happening nowadays. A hatred is built and the main purpose is served. Division.
Old November 20, 2006, 04:02 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Wow!! Some debate!!

£20,000?? utterly rubbish in the 1st place. Unless you are talking about those civil sectors corrupted businessman's rich kids or kids from immigrants whose parents worked hard to get the money for them to spent left and right. Those who live in UK can attest how much yearly a student tuition fees and room & board costs on the average. My guess would be not more than 10k.
Uni fees vary for different unis, courses, as do costs of accommodation depending on type and location.. Corrupt or not, I know a few students here whose parents are genuinely rich businessmen, lawyers and bureaucrats. For them £20,000 is like any other investment.

My fees are £10k+ annually, but I have no accommodation/food costs. So I only need to pay for travel, books and personal expenses. Overall I think I spend way less than £15,000 a year.
Old November 21, 2006, 02:29 AM
ODI Cricketer

I wonder does "Sylheti" (?!?) bhai really works for NOD or RAW ?
Old November 21, 2006, 04:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Here is the results of Daily Star's anit-BD propaganda (according to some BC members):

Boat Spare Parts
Navy cancels controversial work orders
Staff Correspondent

Bangladesh Navy yesterday cancelled procurement of Tk 1.5 crore spare parts for its six high-speed boats for an exorbitant price of Tk 6.19 crore, sources said.

The Navy yesterday issued the cancellation of orders to two suppliers stating that the spares would not be necessary at this time.

The cancellation of orders came after a report in The Daily Star highlighting inconsistencies and irregularities in the purchase, which included violation of rules and bypassing of the director general of defence purchase (DGDP).

The sources added that the navy would investigate into how this procurement took place violating different rules and regulations.

On November 5, based on a restricted tender, the Naval Store Sub-Depot (NSSD) issued three separate work orders for spares for these speedboats.

Two of these orders, worth Tk 2.66 crore and 3.42 crore, were issued to one AJA International and the other worth Tk 11 lakh to one Habib Enterprise.

Interestingly this supply will be delivered to the Bangladeshi peacekeeping mission in Sudan and not in Bangladesh where the two-year old boats are currently being used.

Sources said while the price tag of Tk 6.19 crore itself is highly inflated, it includes import duty and taxes to be payable to Bangladesh. But this would not be paid to Bangladesh, as the goods will be delivered in Sudan in November and January.

Naval sources said the real value of the spare parts would be worth Tk 1.5 crore and even with taxes included, the prices would be around Tk 4 crore.

Sources said this whole deal was pushed by a relative of the former prime minister along with a former political appointee of the then prime minister's office (PMO) and his friend in the Navy.

The prices of the parts were highly inflated in the work orders, the sources pointed out. For instance, the manufacturer sells the "socket for cockpit" at Tk 2,288 (Euro 26). But the work order priced it at Tk 26,000 each. A gasket worth Tk 1,760 (Euro 20) has been priced at a staggering Tk 8.32 lakh each. Each of different types of rubber tubes has been priced between Tk 2,000 and Tk 6,760, while these are sold at prices below Tk 1,760 (Euro 20).

The manufacturer sells a ring drive (complete assembly) at Tk 1.76 lakh (Euro 2,000), but the work order priced it at Tk 24.34 lakh.
Source: >>

Last edited by reverse_swing; November 21, 2006 at 04:55 AM.. Reason: mod.edit: Source added.All bold removed.
Old November 22, 2006, 05:41 PM

Ref: Cricket_Dorshok's last post.

I dont want to speculate on whether DS is pro-India or not... but seeing this latest follow up I think its evident whatever allegation they levied on the Navy's procurement was effective enough to stop it, and expose those Corrupt practices! Corruption in and of itself EVERYWHERE (including for example the 6000 crore ($800 million+) allegedly siphoned off from Energy ministry) should be condemned, exposed, discussed so that there can be some rectification and steps for accountability at the end of the day.

Regarding the thread topic: I can understand Fazal bhai's criticism of the funding given to the army, but I am fully in agreement with Hatebreed. Our army is disciplined and very professional and a source of hope and relief when it really matters. it is ridiculous to call for its abolishment! Our country has bigger problems to sort out than to be whining on about the army's funding.
Old November 23, 2006, 04:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
Ref: Cricket_Dorshok's last post.

I dont want to speculate on whether DS is pro-India or not... but seeing this latest follow up I think its evident whatever allegation they levied on the Navy's procurement was effective enough to stop it, and expose those Corrupt practices! Corruption in and of itself EVERYWHERE (including for example the 6000 crore ($800 million+) allegedly siphoned off from Energy ministry) should be condemned, exposed, discussed so that there can be some rectification and steps for accountability at the end of the day.

Regarding the thread topic: I can understand Fazal bhai's criticism of the funding given to the army, but I am fully in agreement with Hatebreed. Our army is disciplined and very professional and a source of hope and relief when it really matters. it is ridiculous to call for its abolishment! Our country has bigger problems to sort out than to be whining on about the army's funding.
Yes, I agree with the 2nd part of your post.
Since some of BC members bradned DS as pro-India and anit-Bangladeshi. The report on the Navy pucrhces (followed by a correction report) was one of their proof in support their believes. However, I found this report is one of the ingredients that stopped some corruption.