facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 14, 2006, 07:42 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Default Ashraful as opener in Champions Trophy

Team management is serious about playing Ashraful as opener in the Champions Trophy and ultimately make him a permanent partner of Shahriar Nafees.

Detail from todays Amar Desh

IMO, this is a good move and I hope Ash will cement his place as an opener otherwise it will be difficult for him to retain his place in the national side.
Old September 14, 2006, 08:03 PM
First Class Cricketer

This is a win-win situation for Ash, this way he can do his Afridi-like batting and wont have to worry about losing his wicket, because the rest of the batting line up will still be available, so wont be much pressure even if he does. (Ash Mentality)

Or maybe like Rajin, putting him in the opening spot may make him more responsible and he may finally get some runs.

Either way im not sure wether this is a good or bad thing, id say lets give him a go and let him show us what he can do as an opener.
Old September 14, 2006, 08:52 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

i agree with baisab...less pressure. plus the most talented batsman gets a chance to play as many overs as possible

#OneTeam1Dream
Old September 14, 2006, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
i agree with baisab...less pressure. plus the most talented batsman gets a chance to play as many overs as possible
Most talented batsman! I heard that he keeps his talent in the "rest room" while batting in the field!!
Old September 14, 2006, 09:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Less pressure !!! I think Ash only got two matches to prove his worth. If he keeps failing, Mehrab should be brought in the team in his place in the match against Zimbabwe.
Old September 15, 2006, 09:03 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
So you are saying our most talented batsman was not getting enough overs to prove his worth? Are you on something or what?

I thought one over was enough to prove his worth, as now a days he is very frugal in that aspect, never waste the 2nd over anymore. Hand it over to the other bastman to prove their worth.
Old September 14, 2006, 10:22 PM
First Class Cricketer

If he is as vulnerable to new ball as his other colleagues then it will be suicidal. He can at least score runs when the ball gets older. With all his "talent", he is not an Afridi.
Old September 14, 2006, 10:48 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mominul

I personally think it's a good move.Specially for the team.As Ash-Fool has already been tried in so many different positions and almost everywhere he proved his grand irresponsibility.Send him to Open with SN means a better combination to me.SN can play safe and rotate the strike and if Ash-Fool plays little sensibly by only hitting loose balls, we can definitely have a good start.Lets see how it goes in CT.
Old September 14, 2006, 11:03 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

well, good or bad, i think this is the last resort for us. after all, he has been tried in all other possible batting line-up before, including opening.
Personally, i suppor the move. it also gives a lefty-righty combination for our opening pair. hopefully Ash can go on with his business of dashing with SN achors the innings and makes a steady progress.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old September 15, 2006, 12:48 AM
BC Editorial Team

Default I've always maintained Ash should open ..

And given the license to just hit ... at that position a cameo of 20-30 interspersed with the occasional big innings would be perfect. This is what Australia gets from Gillie and India from Virru. If Ash's hitting then SN will not feel the urge to play low % shots. And with the fielders in close, Ash will have to play in the V and pull and not try some of the cheeky stuff he tends to do when the field is spread out. With the powerplay on, his hit or miss style works best as even mishits will go for runs. For middle order strike rotation we should have Bashar and Sakib and for late innings pyrotechnics Aftab & Forhad.
Old September 15, 2006, 09:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
And given the license to just hit ... at that position a cameo of 20-30 interspersed with the occasional big innings would be perfect. This is what Australia gets from Gillie and India from Virru. If Ash's hitting then SN will not feel the urge to play low % shots. And with the fielders in close, Ash will have to play in the V and pull and not try some of the cheeky stuff he tends to do when the field is spread out. With the powerplay on, his hit or miss style works best as even mishits will go for runs. For middle order strike rotation we should have Bashar and Sakib and for late innings pyrotechnics Aftab & Forhad.
Are you saying, in the best case scenario for Ash, he can't play in the BD team when/if the power play rules are eliminated by ICC?
Old September 15, 2006, 11:55 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagol-chagol
Are you saying, in the best case scenario for Ash, he can't play in the BD team when/if the power play rules are eliminated by ICC?
Dunno what you mean by a best case scenario, but I suppose if you take my argument to its extreme, then yes, with Ash's current tendency to either shell it or get into a shell, he'd have even less of a value if ODIs were not to have Powerplay/fielding restrictions. But we know fielding restrictions are not going away. They are being increased in fact. Because fielding restrictions force risk taking. And it tips the balance of the game from the nurdlers to the whackers.
Old September 20, 2006, 03:43 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Default Licence to kill for Ashraful

According to todays Amar Desh, team management has given the Licence of his own style batting in coming Champions trophy and most probably as opener.

They have offered Ashraful any batting position he wants with the preference as an opener.

Full report
Old September 15, 2006, 08:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
Totally agree with you Razab bhai.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old September 15, 2006, 08:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

I guess its the last option we got. Ash should be the opener. Do or die. Perform or get out. He should get some chances though. Preferably more than two. Get him few matches to get used to it and if his inconsistency continues, we have to move on. But it is an exciting thing to see him open. Go for it, its great to see Bangladesh team trying to be positive.
Old September 15, 2006, 08:22 AM
ODI Cricketer

If Ash is in the first eleven (which he shouldn't be based on his form), he should open. I agree totally with al-furqan:

This is a win-win situation for Ash, this way he can do his Afridi-like batting and wont have to worry about losing his wicket, because the rest of the batting line up will still be available, so wont be much pressure even if he does. (Ash Mentality)

Or maybe like Rajin, putting him in the opening spot may make him more responsible and he may finally get some runs.

Either way im not sure wether this is a good or bad thing, id say lets give him a go and let him show us what he can do as an opener.

Old September 15, 2006, 08:29 AM
ODI Cricketer

Just borrowed this quote from another thread:

Originally Posted by Tokyobreeze
Specially when the dream involves Ash-Fool who will convert all our dreams to Ash and will make us look like Fools.

He is really a gamble in any position. But opening with him gives us more chances, thats it!
Old September 15, 2006, 08:42 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

This is a great move, at least he can't do any worse as an opener than Rajin has done recently + I do agree there will be less pressure which should allow him to play his natural game. Now we can only hope he'll do that..
Old September 15, 2006, 09:16 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

The notion of playing his natural game is all bull to me. If he can't adjust his game with the pitch, now the new ball (swings), his faults will glare more. This move will buy some time for Mehrab Jr. He will get accustomed playing with the big boys by coming in late. He or Sakib will take over from the Rainhill hero sooner or later.
Old September 15, 2006, 09:21 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
He or Sakib will take over from the Rainhill hero sooner or later.
I trust your prediction. But as long as he is in the team, where would you like to play him? When he is vulnerable, he is vulnerable to anything - swing, spin, seam, name it! When his (and our) luck favors, he can play all sorts of balls. I bet you will agree that we have better chances with him as an openner.
Old September 15, 2006, 09:49 AM
Cricket Legend

this is the position most suited for at the moment. bd now got some middle order batsman who can rotate the strike and hold their own. so ashraful should be opening....

tendu started to open when he was about the same age ash is now. after that his average jumped up. even though ash is not a tendu but he wants to follow him. one of the thing tendu did, he always took some time to have a look at the pitch and bowlers before let go. ash should try to do the same. if he can survive the restricted overs he should put his head down and target a big innings. its all a confidence thing, if he can get some runs under his belt, bowlers will not like to bowl to him.
Old September 15, 2006, 09:55 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangladeshFan
one of the thing tendu did, he always took some time to have a look at the pitch and bowlers before let go. ash should try to do the same.
And who is going to tell him that!
Old September 15, 2006, 10:06 AM
Cricket Sage

Hai hai abar tendu-ke neyee Tana Tani?

Kothai Liaqot Ali are kothai Jutar kali.
Old September 15, 2006, 10:13 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I'd be happy if Ash could score 141 in 3 qualifying matches and stay at wicket in total of 50 overs.

Rudro bhai,
Vegus baby. Your betting is a sure shot.
Old September 15, 2006, 10:17 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

if ash stays 50 over bd will score 400 and we all know that never going to happen...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled