facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 11, 2012, 01:47 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara
Default Ageing Stars in World Cricket presents an opportunity for our Team

Our team is quite young and still maturing. Already this year we have put up great performances against the big boys like Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka and West Indies.

Just think what lies ahead as we move towards 2015 World Cup:

Sri Lanka: Their key players Sangakara, Jaywardene, Dilshan are all aging. As age catches up with them and they retire, Sri Lanka is bound to hit a slump in performance in the coming years. Apart from Mathews still they haven't found any other consistent performer for their team.

India: Their key players Tendulkar, Sehwag, Gambhir, Dhoni, Zaheer, Harbhajan will also look to retire. The new guys in their team also hasn't settled into their roles yet.

Australia: Hussey Brothers will look to retire and the Aussies surely will miss some quality middle order players

Pakistan: Misbah, Afridi, Younis, Yousuf will go and besides the inconsistent Akmal brothers, no real super stars are emerging with the bat. Their bowling will remain strong as usual though.

South Africa: will surely miss Graem Smith and Kallis

We have beaten WI and NZ with their full strength teams anyways so it doesn't matter who retires.

While all these top teams lose so many of their key players we lose none and our team will only get better with more experience!

What do you guys think?

Old December 11, 2012, 01:57 AM
Banned

yeh tru. our era woot woot
Old December 11, 2012, 02:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Very true. All the top teams have a massive challenge of replacing their aging stars with new blood. In comparison Bangladesh has a good blend of players (With experience and emerging). Now need a strong head to mold them into a competitive side. Potential is there in ODI's.
Old December 11, 2012, 02:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Miler/warner/Ryder/maxweL

We r in good shape. Thats why under 19 level we are at the same level.

In next 5 yrs we will have more experienced players than them
Old December 11, 2012, 02:24 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

I just realized why Ashraful is super cherished in this forum, because We beat a world class Aussie team with his 100.

although a very strong opportunity for us, the joy will not be the same but good observation nonetheless...
Old December 11, 2012, 03:28 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

We lack good pace bowlers. You can win matches with the spinners if the condition suits. But if you want to win matches regularly in all conditions then you will need good pace bowlers.

This is true for test cricket. This is true for ODI and T20I as well. Spinners are not good death over bowlers if the conditions doesn't suit them. Most of the good death over bowlers are pacers. You need to have good yorkers and reverse swingers to take wickets and stop the death over slogging by the batsmen.

Unless we find some good pacers and mature them before the upcoming world cup, I don't see much hope for having a good show in the world cup.
Old December 11, 2012, 03:37 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

thought this for awhile, BD players start international cricket so young that generally by their late 20s and if they play into their 30s they will have a lot more experience than players in other teams. think about it 10 years down the track when the current youngsters (and every team is in transition atm) are in their mid 30s, most BD players (as long as current guys keep their spots) will have 5+ more years experience on the international stage than the players in the other teams.

as long as the players keep working hard and improving, the talent is there, players are starting to perform, experience will be there so there is no reason why BD in 5-10 years can't be one of the top teams.

i know we've said in the past give it 5 years, but during those times players weren't performing enarly as well, we still had guys averaging low 20s. now we have guys averaging around 30 and some higher in various formats so if they build on that then the team should be right up there.
Old December 11, 2012, 03:47 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
We lack good pace bowlers. You can win matches with the spinners if the condition suits. But if you want to win matches regularly in all conditions then you will need good pace bowlers.

This is true for test cricket. This is true for ODI and T20I as well. Spinners are not good death over bowlers if the conditions doesn't suit them. Most of the good death over bowlers are pacers. You need to have good yorkers and reverse swingers to take wickets and stop the death over slogging by the batsmen.

Unless we find some good pacers and mature them before the upcoming world cup, I don't see much hope for having a good show in the world cup.
I agree with you on the need to find Pace prospects in order perform well abroad. We should start the process of finding and developing good pacers now so that they are ready for the challenge in 2015.

If you look at history of both India and Sri Lanka, they both started out being a batting powerhouse at home with heavy dependence on spinners. I think we are reaching the same stage as Ranatunga's side couple of years before the world-cup win in 96. While we still don't have the champion batters like De Silva, Ranatunga, there is no doubt that within the likes of Mushfiq, Ryad, Nasir, Shakib, Anamul and Tamim we do have a very good group of emerging talents. There is also a strong possibility that none of them have reached their full potential yet but perhaps 2015 will be that time when everything falls into place.
Old December 11, 2012, 03:49 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor

We have beaten WI and NZ with their full strength teams anyways so it doesn't matter who retires.
Again i say that is NOT a true statement where WI are concerned as we were missing Ramdin, Dwayne Bravo and Johnson Charles,

As for your question, no, your team will not be relevant when it comes to the 2015 world cup whether others teams players are getting older or not, as long as you don't have any decent pacers you'll always be also rans, the best pacer you've got (Rubel) was completely battered yesterday, so that says it all imo, plus your batters still can't deal with decent pace either, just being honest .
Old December 11, 2012, 03:54 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Don't feed the trolls.
Old December 11, 2012, 03:54 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindieFan
Again i say that is NOT a true statement where WI are concerned as we were missing Ramdin, Dwayne Bravo and Johnson Charles,

As for your question, no, your team will not be relevant when it comes to the 2015 world cup whether others teams players are getting older or not, as long as you don't have any decent pacers you'll always be also rans, the best pacer you've got (Rubel) was completely battered yesterday, so that says it all imo, plus your batters still can't deal with decent pace either, just being honest .
tabij please
Old December 11, 2012, 04:02 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Don't feed the trolls.
And what did i say that wasn't true? it's funny to me that Bangla win ONE series against a side who took you lightly in the first two games and suddenly the attitude is "everyone is regressing and we're gonna be the best"!!!..you can believe it if you want but don't blame me when you crash down to earth with a bump, my team has been in the dumps for many years so i have experience, As long as Bangla don't have decent pacers and your batsmen STILL can handle pace then you're gonna be also rans, fullstop.
Old December 11, 2012, 04:03 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Don't feed the trolls.
good advice man
Old December 11, 2012, 04:10 AM
First Class Cricketer

LOL at people being scared to debate the points i raised!! , come on guys TELL ME WHY I'M WRONG then?
Old December 11, 2012, 04:38 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

india have done well for many many years with poor pacers. mash, rubel and nazmul should be solid enough. now for BD batsmen facing pace, well WI still has some pretty good pacers in roach and rampaul and BD still won so they might not be as strong against pace as other teams but they still pulled out the series win and don't forget narine is quite a good ODI bowler so the fact that BD could pull out a 5 match series win against an attack with quality pace and quality spin suggest they're quite decent. i realise it's home conditions but that's all we have to judge on from this series, let's not make assumptions for other conditions yet.

as far as not being full strength. johnson charles averages 19 with a strike rate of 68 in 8 ODI innings and his list A stats are similar just he's played more matches, so you can hardly boast that him being in the team makes it any more full strength than it was. ramdin averages a bit better than thomas but still he's not a match changer with 3 half centuries in 71 ODI innings at a strike rate of 75 and averaging 20. dwayne bravo is the bigger loss but who would he have replaced? smith, pollard or simmons probably. simmons has a much better batting average, whilst pollard and smith have similar batting averages but slightly poorer bowling averages. so i reckon you could argue that dwayne bravo being there could have made the team slightly stronger but he still only has a batting average of 24, might have added slightly with the ball. but to say the team isn't full strength, it pretty much is bar maybe one player who may or may not have performed at a better output than the players he could have played in place of.

also shakib was missing all series and WI couldn't pull out the series win so they lost to an under strength BD team. plus i'm sure shakib's contribution would have been greater or at least equal to dwayne bravo's.

Last edited by Gowza; December 11, 2012 at 05:18 AM..
Old December 11, 2012, 04:48 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

^^Don't waste your precious time Gowza. It's simply not worth it.
Old December 11, 2012, 05:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Jayasuria

To be brutally honest, we should not care about the state of other teams and we should address the following issues in order to be considered a decent test match outfit and maintain the consistency overseas:

- Playing pace bowling. We were ripped apart by the likes of Best and Rampaul on dead pitches during the test match series. We'd be bundled out for under 100 if it were in their backyard or at the WACA against the likes of Pattinson, Cummins, Starc..blimey don't know about the Aussies getting phased out mate!

- Lack of quality seam/pace bowlers. In addition to our battery of spinners, we need a strong pace attack in order for us to be a stronger force overseas and take 20 wickets!

- Fielding. We are terribly inconistent in this area
Old December 11, 2012, 05:58 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
india have done well for many many years with poor pacers. mash, rubel and nazmul should be solid enough. now for BD batsmen facing pace, well WI still has some pretty good pacers in roach and rampaul and BD still won so they might not be as strong against pace as other teams but they still pulled out the series win and don't forget narine is quite a good ODI bowler so the fact that BD could pull out a 5 match series win against an attack with quality pace and quality spin suggest they're quite decent. i realise it's home conditions but that's all we have to judge on from this series, let's not make assumptions for other conditions yet.
Finally someone was willing to step up at last!! , anyway to be honest i think most of the points you raised are misguided, Rampaul only played in three of the games and has been injured for most of this tour, so facing him was hardly the biggest test yet still he got a 4fer, and when you faced Roach in the last two games he was having a ball, infact he got a 5fer in the last odi, just because Bangla eventually won it doesn't mean their batsmen done well against pace because one bowler can't win the game on his own, he needs support and apart from Narine no-one stepped up in the last match, the tests told it's own story when our reserve pacers (Edwards and Best) ran through the bang batting line up at will,

Quote:
as far as not being full strength. johnson charles averages 19 with a strike rate of 68 in 8 ODI innings and his list A stats are similar just he's played more matches, so you can hardly boast that him being in the team makes it any more full strength than it was. ramdin averages a bit better than thomas but still he's not a match changer with 3 half centuries in 71 ODI innings at a strike rate of 75 and averaging 20. dwayne bravo is the bigger loss but who would he have replaced? smith, pollard or simmons probably. simmons has a much better batting average, whilst pollard and smith have similar batting averages but slightly poorer bowling averages. so i reckon you could argue that dwayne bravo being there could have made the team slightly stronger but he still only has a batting average of 24, might have added slightly with the ball. but to say the team isn't full strength, it pretty much is bar maybe one player who may or may not have performed at a better output than the players he could have played in place of.
Johnson is just starting his career, he's showed flashes of class vs England, Australia and NZ, plus he'd been settled into the opening partnership with Gayle, Ramdin has also been a revelation over the past year and got a ton in the tests, while Dwayne's record cannot be argued, ALL THREE were part of our odi victory 4-1 against NZ, therefore that was our strongest team going into the Bangladesh series,

Quote:
also shakib was missing all series and WI couldn't pull out the series win so they lost to an under strength BD team. plus i'm sure shakib's contribution would have been greater or at least equal to dwayne bravo's.
I've never argued about Shakib missing, but the bangla fan seem to be obsessed with this notion that they "beat a full strength wi" when you've openly admitted that they didn't!!, also yesterday when i mentioned that we beat Bangla EASILY yesterday with half a reserve side people started to complain!!!..i don't know why because again i was telling the truth!! .
Old December 11, 2012, 06:32 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
I've never argued about Shakib missing, but the bangla fan seem to be obsessed with this notion that they "beat a full strength wi" when you've openly admitted that they didn't...... .
Your selectors thought, this was the best team, so you shouldn't have any problem with us saying so. If you think your selectors were wrong then you have to sort it our at home....until you sort it out, it's the best team WI could produce, for the rest of the world.

We have issues with selectors too, but we don't say that to the other nations, coz they can't solve it....whatever our selectors decide, that's the best team for us....

Two legitimate dropouts are Shakib and Bravo due to injury....but that's also a part of the game...our team isn't dependants on Shakib, like you depend on Bravo...though Shakib>Bravo in ODI...

So that should be the end of story....Anyway, congrats for winning T20 series ...by18 runs.. We went quiet close to the T20 Champs isn't it??
Old December 11, 2012, 06:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: TIGERS !!

Quote:
Finally someone was willing to step up at last!! , anyway to be honest i think most of the points you raised are misguided, Rampaul only played in three of the games and has been injured for most of this tour, so facing him was hardly the biggest test yet still he got a 4fer, and when you faced Roach in the last two games he was having a ball, infact he got a 5fer in the last odi, just because Bangla eventually won it doesn't mean their batsmen done well against pace because one bowler can't win the game on his own, he needs support and apart from Narine no-one stepped up in the last match, the tests told it's own story when our reserve pacers (Edwards and Best) ran through the bang batting line up at will,

Johnson is just starting his career, he's showed flashes of class vs England, Australia and NZ, plus he'd been settled into the opening partnership with Gayle, Ramdin has also been a revelation over the past year and got a ton in the tests, while Dwayne's record cannot be argued, ALL THREE were part of our odi victory 4-1 against NZ, therefore that was our strongest team going into the Bangladesh series,

I've never argued about Shakib missing, but the bangla fan seem to be obsessed with this notion that they "beat a full strength wi" when you've openly admitted that they didn't!!, also yesterday when i mentioned that we beat Bangla EASILY yesterday with half a reserve side people started to complain!!!..i don't know why because again i was telling the truth!! .
without Gyle, Samuels, Sammy, Pollard, Narine West Indies team is never a full strength team, they are the celulas players of the team, now are any one missing from the current team? NOT. Those players names whom you mentioned are missing from WI team are like the off seasonal players they sometime make into team sometime not they sometime come to replace someone injury or someones bad form but they are not the celulas players of your team, no one count them as major or star players, only exceptionally sr Bravo missing. Now don't be so biased and play your own logical game here, we all got it, you can make your team anytime any day by stripping off names or adding names to take advantage of hiding your own face just to keep your own pride intact no problems with that, but wake up and get your fact right and stop crying like teenage girl just lost virginity but proud to say I'm still virgin.
Old December 11, 2012, 07:38 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaan
without Gyle, Samuels, Sammy, Pollard, Narine West Indies team is never a full strength team, they are the celulas players of the team, now are any one missing from the current team? NOT. Those players names whom you mentioned are missing from WI team are like the off seasonal players they sometime make into team sometime not they sometime come to replace someone injury or someones bad form but they are not the celulas players of your team, no one count them as major or star players, only exceptionally sr Bravo missing. Now don't be so biased and play your own logical game here, we all got it, you can make your team anytime any day by stripping off names or adding names to take advantage of hiding your own face just to keep your own pride intact no problems with that, but wake up and get your fact right and stop crying like teenage girl just lost virginity but proud to say I'm still virgin.
Another one who doesn't get it i see!! , look if we played a series against Australia, WITH A DIFFERENT TEAM, then played NZ WITH THE SAME TEAM, and didn't lose those series, then go to bangla WITH A DIFFERENT TEAM then how can people say we lost with our strongest team? it just doesn't add up, at the end of the day bangla fans can look at it from a one eyed point of view all they like but the facts are the facts, our strongest team did not lose the series.
Old December 11, 2012, 07:49 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Quote:
Another one who doesn't get it i see!! , look if we played a series against Australia, WITH A DIFFERENT TEAM, then played NZ WITH THE SAME TEAM, and didn't lose those series, then go to bangla WITH A DIFFERENT TEAM then how can people say we lost with our strongest team? it just doesn't add up, at the end of the day bangla fans can look at it from a one eyed point of view all they like but the facts are the facts, our strongest team did not lose the series.
Couldnt resist but had to quote and reply to your 'trollish' posts.

Going by your logic ,
If you say your team wasnt full strength , then ours was neither . We were missing the following players that beat Australia in 2005.

Mohammed Ashraful
Habibul Bashar
Nafees Iqbal

ERR , Oh Wait , We are mising the entire team. So basically our B team beat your 'half strength' West Indies team. Cheers mate.
Old December 11, 2012, 08:04 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot

Going by your logic ,
If you say your team wasnt full strength , then ours was neither . We were missing the following players that beat Australia in 2005.

Mohammed Ashraful
Habibul Bashar
Nafees Iqbal

ERR , Oh Wait , We are mising the entire team. So basically our B team beat your 'half strength' West Indies team. Cheers mate.
"Ashraful"? AND YOU THINK I'M "TROLLING"?
Old December 11, 2012, 08:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Miler/warner/Ryder/maxweL

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot

Going by your logic ,

Mohammed Ashraful
Habibul Bashar
Nafees Iqbal

Good one.

He wanted to place 15 man team in the field. If gayle, pollard , samuel or narine would miss, i would say they didnt have some key player. Very soon , he will cry that barath and carlos barathwaite is missing, so its not their main team. He should add lara in the list too
Old December 11, 2012, 08:22 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Shakib and Anamul

Yeah even I knew that but Bangladesh planned this from the moment the 2007 World Cup started where players like Shakib, Tamim, Rahim etc made their World Cup debuts. But we have to put pace bowling as our top priority so we can rise dramatically. Batting, fielding, spin bowling is fine and improving all the time. The jealous fans of other teams and experts are just scared on the rise of our Cricket and they know it themselves that Bangladesh Cricket pose a threat to the bigger teams especially if you have a massive fan base behind you so good luck to them. Not only them but others like Ireland.....