facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 25, 2005, 08:55 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

i was actually pleased with ashraful's english.

it shows that even kids in our country who may be uneducated or can't speak english can smack a cricket ball all over the place.

Old June 25, 2005, 09:35 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿

After watching his batting highlights, i didn't care much about his english. His batting (when he is in form) is enough to fill up pages after pages.

My only concern is - I want our boys to play in England and Australia so they can improve their game but it will be hard (if not impossible) with the language barrier, *sigh*
Old June 25, 2005, 10:03 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Alastair Cook

Learning a different language doesn`t help you improve your skill to play a game.

We can use a translator for the presentations though.

Edited on, June 26, 2005, 3:51 AM GMT, by Mav.
Old June 26, 2005, 01:03 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Mueid
i wouldnt care even if all the bd players dint have vocal cords as long as they played class cricket.
ROFL
that sums up the argument against the thread.
Old June 26, 2005, 01:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
Originally posted by jga
Hey guys when watching the highlights of the previous bd-aus match, when habibul bashar came up to the mic at the post-match conference, i believe he spoke well.. he had a bit of an accent but hey who among the foreign playing countries doesnt? i found that very acceptable and he said his comments to the point.

However, when Mohammad Ashraful came up to the mic, me even being a bangali found bits of his speech hard to understand!
Ashraful probably got better accent than you! He stuttered a bit but his accent is as good as anyones. Just need some practice with the language----

Bashar mumbles a lot... maybe you are one of those - that's why you found it clear enough!!

Edited on, June 26, 2005, 6:22 AM GMT, by Orpheus.
Old June 26, 2005, 02:26 PM
BC Editorial Team

Strictly as myself:

Ahem, here's a straight-forward reason why Ash and other players need to speak at least conversational English. They want to play county cricket don't they? How do the resident Matr-bhasha-palrei-holo camp propose one play County cricket while speaking bangla only? huh?

[Rant Mode ON]
Honestly, some of these, "we don't need to know English" assertions get my goat. We need to get off our high horses, and learn the universal lingua franca. Our country's work ethic isn't like a Japan's or South Korea's, nor do we have the natural resources like a Saudi Arabia or South Africa. So let's not hold on to some antiquated notion that just knowing Bangla and doing one's skill/job well is enough."
[[Rant Mode OFF]
Old June 26, 2005, 05:33 PM
First Class Cricketer

Reminds me of these 3 world class sports people in mid eighties started working on their english.. one is wasim akram after he got into the rose side, jansher khan (jhanagir khan was so fluent) whne he started his reign, and almost at the same time, Steffie Graf, the tennis player..

** it is stated in some articles that in 1985, in his debut series in NZ, one wasim akram even did not know the word 'yorker'.
Old June 26, 2005, 05:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Orpheus
Quote:
Originally posted by jga
Hey guys when watching the highlights of the previous bd-aus match, when habibul bashar came up to the mic at the post-match conference, i believe he spoke well.. he had a bit of an accent but hey who among the foreign playing countries doesnt? i found that very acceptable and he said his comments to the point.

However, when Mohammad Ashraful came up to the mic, me even being a bangali found bits of his speech hard to understand!
Ashraful probably got better accent than you! He stuttered a bit but his accent is as good as anyones. Just need some practice with the language----

Bashar mumbles a lot... maybe you are one of those - that's why you found it clear enough!!

Edited on, June 26, 2005, 6:22 AM GMT, by Orpheus.
a bit insulting ahhaha..But honestly i believe Ashraful spoke loud and clear. Nothing wrong with his accent. Just needs some practise

Edited on, June 26, 2005, 10:51 PM GMT, by Lovely_cr.