facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 24, 2003, 07:49 PM
Club Cricketer

Default Test Status to be reviewed in 2 years

Bangladesh below par, says Gray
February 23 2003
By Nabile Ahmed
Potchefstroom

International Cricket Council president Malcolm Gray has conceded Bangladesh's elevation to Test status in 2000 was a flawed decision.

After three years of humiliating results - the side has lost 16 and drawn one of its Tests - Bangladesh's Test status has come under renewed attack following more disappointments at the World Cup.

"I think maybe a more stricter approach should've been taken with Bangladesh," Gray said.

"I saw them play in Durban (where they were upset by World Cup debutant Canada) and yes, their performances have been disappointing and obviously that brings into question their long-term viability."

But Gray ruled out the possibility of stripping Bangladesh of its Test status, at least for now. "At the moment there are no plans to do that but I suppose in the next two years the situation could be reassessed," he said.

Gray said following Bangladesh's experience, the ICC had decided to defer granting Test status to Kenya. The African nation's application has been with the ICC for two years and Gray said it was likely to be deferred for another five.

Gray's predecessor and current president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India, Jagmohan Dalmiya, under whose tenure Bangladesh was granted Test cricket status in June 2000, yesterday declined to comment on the issue, saying the matter was now between the ICC and the Bangladesh Cricket Board.

According to the BCB's development director, Muhammad Shafique-ul-Huque, Bangladesh does not deserve the honour. It was a sentiment echoed by the team's former coach, Trevor Chappell, before his sacking last year.

"Bangladesh is the No. 10 Test nation in international cricket, but there is a huge gap between No. 9 and No. 10," said Chappell.

"It's not the players' fault, it's the system. To close the gap, Bangladesh needs to develop quality first-class cricket at home."

But Gray said he remained hopeful that with time, experience and help from the established cricketing nations, Bangladesh could become a competitive outfit.

"These things take time and with 130 million passionate people there, with time I'm sure they'll get their act together," he said.
Old February 24, 2003, 08:14 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা
Default Thanks to BD/BCB

Kenya will have to wait 3 more years to get the status according to recent reports. Which means - Tikolo will get too old to have more then 2-4 good years of test cricket.
Old February 24, 2003, 11:12 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default a random collection of thoughts?!

phew...at least we have two years to turn things around...how embarassing would it be to become the only nation to be awarded the test status and then stripped of it!!!! The commentators would never let us forget it even if we win the world cup ODI and TEST championship ten times in a row way in the future....tough luck for Kenya....but then! they should realise that this is best! I don't think they would like to go through what is BD is going through right now. Granted they might fare better in the short run....but soon they will be the grandfather test side coz they don't seem to have any youngsters coming through at the moment.

As for Bangladesh..the eternal optimist in me says Kenya's performance against SL might galvanize our lost boys and give them some direction...but the fatalist/realist in me is telling my optimist side to shut its trap.......sigh....SIGH.....

Some one give me some hope....some strength...my bruised and battered ego...my pride has been trampled upon mercilessly....even George Bush's antics fail to tickle me now....

In the last few months....rather last of couple of years....I have seen a amazing change in outlook in this forum.....
Euphoria turned into a more conservative outlook but still positive.....and now it is downright fatalistic and negative....

I still refuse to believe our players do not have the talent... Ashraful did score a test century so did Sumon....Tushar scored the first double century in first class cricket for us...Al-Shahriyar did decimate the namibians with 177 and scored a very respectable 60 odd against KZN...Ehsanul score 90 odd too, Kapali scored an excellent 89 not out against the WI in an ODI and an 85 in a test against the same opposition....what happened all of a sudden?!?!?!

Obviously....the Canada defeat was a shock for the players....Pilot said they haven't recovered from that...unfortunately that is not a professional attitude.... and like it or not they are professionals... drawing monthly salaries...

Drastic measures....hmmm....May BCB should arrange for players moms and wives to show up...may they can get some adrenaline pumping....get their manhood?! on the line...hehehe....sigh...

I remember the time when most of us on this board were clamouring for a series with Kenya to settle the question of supremacy once and for all....I don't know but some how...I don't think....that attitude prevails here anymore...sigh....

All is not lost though....there is life after the world cup! Questions are being asked about the state of our cricket and they need to be answered in earnest. May be this is a blessing in disguise. May be there will be some fundamental changes after this which will do us a lot of good in the long run.

In the short term, lets hope BD players achieve respectability against NZ.
In the long term lets hope for the best...I don't have the guts to spell it out!!!

[Edited on 25-2-2003 by pompous]
Old February 25, 2003, 01:13 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Default Sissies

That's what they are ... TOO soft and gentle.
Old February 25, 2003, 05:20 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Let them review our status over the next two years.

I hope the ICC is a little more proactive this time. They ought to pressure the BCB into changing its unprofessional ways. They should demand quarterly development reports from the BCB. This report will include a synopsis of the various initiatives that are underway, e.g. age-group cricket, building of new stadia, expansion of the domestic league, etc. The report should also include a synopsis of cashflows. Where the hell is all the money being spent. I'd be damn pissed if Mohsin Kamal has a high salary. I'd also like to see the report comment on personnel. Who was hired. What their credentials are. How much they are paid. Etc, etc.

This is the bare minimum. The ICC should then appoint one or two of its own independent observers to assess the development of our cricket on a permanent basis; day-in-day-out. The bottom line is, the ICC really needs to light a fire under the PUTKIs of the BCB officials.
Old February 25, 2003, 06:08 PM
Cricket Legend

well, that is actually good news. i'm tired of the status quo. i am tired of no accountability. we can say what we want, but let's hear from those wise men who run cricket. let's hear from the bcb board, from the pm's son, from former players, from the current team. let them figure it out. all we can do is pay money and watch the games.

i had an acl sugery yesterday (2nd time hurts less, in case masri is interested in trying that for his next excuse..) so didn't see the kenya win until the late night replay. how fantastic for the kenyans. i hope we beat them and stop their journey into the super six. but if it is not meant to be, then i actually hope they go through and kick some butt! why not? they deserve it.
Old February 26, 2003, 01:59 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Default ICC involvement

They should also make sure, we get plenty of A tours but more importantly, we get a GOOD coach, not Trevor's or Mohsin's. We need someone with at least a decent first class experience. We need someone with experience with ROOKIES, someone who can works on the BASICS as well as building on their strenghts. Point is, they know it better then anyone in our present board - anyone with a say. It's sad that we have to look out for things like this but current BCB isn't cut out for it, they have been busy trying to come up with ways to cover their own arse even before the team left BD. No good will come out of them.