facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 15, 2005, 02:01 PM
BC Editorial Team

Default Analysis: Sussex v BD

So finished watching the video highlights:

1) No excuse for the bowling but that is one flat pitch - the balls seemed to be taking a tennis ball bounce. To pull even a medium pacer from outside off stump - like Yardey did to Masree in the last session - means that ball is not doing anything off the pitch. Still, I took a gander at Sussex's 1st innings scores at Hove this season:

Game Date Score Overs 4s 6s Boundary %
Sussex v Worcs 10th May 2005 412 156.5 26 0 25%
Sussex v Hants 21st Apr 2005 252 77.5 24 2 42.8%
Sussex v Longbr 9th Apr 2005 490 152.3 46 4 42.5%
So big scores _have_ been made but not as fast as it was made against our attack. Against BD, in 90 overs 56 boundaries were hit - which means a whopping 54.4% of Sussex's runs came in the form of bounaries, which in turn brings me to observation #2

2) Our bowler's lines were atrocious. Short. Short and wide. Full and down leg. You name it - they did it. I saw very few balls - even the wicket taking ones on the stumps. If I am Dav, I am giving the boys 5 handkerchiefs and telling them to not come back until each rag is red with ball-marks and balls have had the "shuta" "khula"fied.

3) Shahadat is quick. Talha - ho hum. Tapash was missed. This was also a very green attack and I think that showed.

4) Enamul was bowling too fast. He needed to slow it down in the air and get some drift with this kind of wicket.

5) Yardey is in the form of his life. Go check his stats for this season.

Conclusion: Haagu happens. Both fans and the team were probably getting a tad complacent and this will serve to remind us how far we have to go. Expecting a tight bowling attack tomorrow - one that denies Sussex the quick run and snares the wicket if they try to force the pace. We live to fight another day.

Feel free to attach your analysis on this thread.

Edited on, May 15, 2005, 8:25 PM GMT, by razabq.
Reason: changed the video to regular analysis

Old May 15, 2005, 02:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Talha actually got some away movement if you've noticed, but he started way wide of the off-stump. Mashrafe got whacked everytime he bowled too short. Shahadat bowled too full! If you look at the middle session, Enamul got driven when he bowled good length deliveries on or right outside off, there really wasn't anything for him on this pitch.

They have to come out and keep hitting a good length on off-stump tomorrow.
Old May 15, 2005, 02:20 PM
BC Editorial Team

Would you agree Enam was bowling too fast tho? Almost at Rafique pace IMHO.
Old May 15, 2005, 02:23 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Athar Ali Khan

guyz i seriously have no clue what is goin on. I play cricket for ma university here....got to edmit it looked like ordinary balling all round. I have played better balling at university level here. But i tell u what there is some thing really wrong goin on...I have seen our boys playin in the past and i am sure they are much better then this.....what i noticed from the clips are the boys are tryin to use the pitch to much.....someone has infected their minds by sayin there is something in it....they were ballin short tryin to use the pitch when there was defenetly nothing in it....the boys also kept puttin it on the offstamp expecting it to comein with conditional swing which was undoubately not present. I think the boys could have done better is they ran in faster and used the air swing....but got to edmit it was a really sunny day in the UK today so their no heavy air for that to easily occur if they didnt plan to run in....well all i got to say is if the boys are plain to save their tanks for the big games great plan.....but if thats not it I would say the coatch better stop thinkin about his next money move and give the English conditional knowlege which they lacked to show on the field today...all in all very ordinary ballin today....but i have seen the boys run in with more.....about the spin, no idea.....i think Jr is savin it for the big game if gets the spot that is after this performance.....
Old May 15, 2005, 02:24 PM
Bangla amar Maa
Unregistered

Rock solid flat wicket , we will do good on that pitch as well but it doesn't mean we have ball very ordinary like today .

Talha : Width on off stumps
Shahdat : too many half volleys
Mashrafe: Good length bowls but not much swing on it
Enamul:Very ordinary

how can we play the match with that kinda bowling line-up?

the only good thing was the run-out ..............was a direct hit , that's great to watch but that was unexpected from our players too just got lucky in there .

Edited on, May 15, 2005, 7:32 PM GMT, by Bangla amar Maa.
Old May 15, 2005, 02:25 PM
ODI Cricketer

My computer was acting up when i watched the clips, but even a bad vdo feed could not hide the atrocious line and length in the clips.

We should keep in mind that we are wathcing the highlights. So only the 4s and wickets were shown.

Discipline will be crucial on a surface like this. Our bowlers can err a maximum of 1 out of 12 balls on this surface. Judging from the scoreline, it loks as if our bowlers erred at least 2 out of 6 balls.

We'd better learn from this and get out act together tommorow. Otehrwise we are screwed.
Old May 15, 2005, 02:34 PM
Bangla amar Maa
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by razabq
I do agree with that , he has tried to bowl so fast but didn't work out at all . By looking at the clips he was bowling a bit faster speed than he bowls normally .
Old May 15, 2005, 03:10 PM
Test Cricketer

Default 1st hand observations

I had a bad day today ! Each cup of tea cost 1 and it was a bloody cold day. I needed many refills. And, oh, Bangladesh had a leather chasing day !!

Thanks to the Brighton festival or something, looked like a Mini car rally, I got delayed. Finally, made it to ground about half an hour before lunch. Sussex were on 102/1. Talha had already got the dangerous Montgomerie.

For me, that was the best moment of the day ! It progressively got worse.

I honestly did not see the batsman playing and missing more than half a dozen times. As my best position was third man-ish, I have to admit I was not best placed to see how many of those balls were due to good bowling. To give you an idea, I did not hear an appeal for at least two hours !

When I walked in Rajib was bowling at quite a pace. And occasionally, hurrying the batsmen. Other than that, at no time did I find any of the batsmen made to play a false stroke other than when Prior played uppishly to Aftab.

To sum up our bowling performance, I would have to mention that Aftab was the pick of the bowlers. He certainly got edges [ not catches - but still edges ]. And he bowled tidily. Yound Rahim was very good in an undemonstrative way.

I would not want to dwell too long about this day. We are all entitled to a bad one and I hope this will be the worst day of the tour. However, I would like to bring to the notice of the knowledgeable aficionado of banglacricket.com something I noticed.

Young Rajib is fast , quite fast. He was a good yard or two faster than Mashrafe who was slower than his normal self. But, Rajib has a run-up longer than Holding's at his prime. About 40 yards ! As long as Shoaib's. So much so that in his last ten yards he actually does not accelerate. If he is not well advised I fear he will break down soon. He needs to cut down his run-up by almost ten yards.

Edited on, May 15, 2005, 8:29 PM GMT, by razabq.
Reason: fixing move related stuff
Old May 15, 2005, 03:13 PM
BC Editorial Team

I'm sure that when McInnis becomes the coach of BD Sr. team in a couple of years, he'll fix that Right now, let him have his glory A fast bowler's long run up also has a psychological aspect to it.

Edited on, May 15, 2005, 8:30 PM GMT, by razabq.
Old May 15, 2005, 03:13 PM
BC Editorial Team

btw, thanks for giving us your 1st hand observation.

Old May 15, 2005, 03:15 PM
Retired BC Admin

I'm not an expert, from what I can gather watching the clisp, I think what we didn't see was much more important than what the clips showed in terms of our poor showing.

The bowlers did try for variations but there was no assistance from the pitch apart from some bounce. But they didn't look too wayward to me. It appears that they had trouble containing the left hander and didn't know how to handle him.

Enam tried faster and flighted deliveries but he could not get much out of this pitch, again apart from some bounce.

Is that kind of pitch different or normal at this time of the year in England? Clearly the batsmen knew their pitch and they could read the bowl quite easily as if they knew how each bowl would come by.

Love to hear about the fielding and the field-setting. I think, just a think, there might have been an easy going pass around the field and some misfielding as well.

There was bounce alright, but I didn't see batsmen's throat was in danger at any time within the clips though.
Old May 15, 2005, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

hah! a bad day, eh? well, performing equally well in back to back matches is too good to be true for our boys, i guess...

Old May 15, 2005, 03:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by razabq
Yeah he was, an almost involuntary reaction to getting whacked. After all, he is damn young with very little experience. In the long-term, I think our performance today will help our side!
Old May 15, 2005, 03:18 PM
BC Editorial Team

onek din por chinaman deigns to post on the forum on non-moderator bijinech. ostad ki mone kore?
Old May 15, 2005, 03:21 PM
Test Cricketer

Something I forgot to mention. Watching through binoculars it appeared that Enamul was bowling virtually medium pace. This was disappointing considering I have been a great supporter of his ever since I saw him against England at Dhaka. I agree no one likes to get belted around but on this wicket, you ain't going to get wickets by bowling flat.

At lunchtime I walked to the middle. The wicket looked a beauty but there was enough green on it for any seamer to trouble our lot.

Remember Sussex has Lewry. If you do not know how he bowls, think of, Vaas, Collins, Pathan, Franklin. Need I say more...

Edited on, May 15, 2005, 8:31 PM GMT, by razabq.
Old May 15, 2005, 03:23 PM
Retired BC Admin

Hehehe, free time was very hard to come by these days with changing weather, sickness, guest and what not! I was ofcourse arround, just had some extra fun offline
Old May 15, 2005, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

yeah but you havent posted on non-moderator bijnech for over a year now!

ok maybe i'm exaggerating...but you get my point
Old May 15, 2005, 03:33 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Imtiaz
Remember Sussex has Lewry. If you do not know how he bowls, think of, Vaas, Collins, Pathan, Franklin. Need I say more...
Yeah, I'm concerned about this fellow too. I mention him in my Scouting report thread
Old May 15, 2005, 03:35 PM
Bangla amar Maa
Unregistered

Have seen Lewry bowling with "Warwickshire" He's pretty impressive as well as Kirtly ........ Lewry got too much swing on him probably more like Vaas but once again not like "Ntini" or "Hoggard" so , not to worry .....
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Looking at the clps it seemed that masri was lacking rhythm... his run up and follow through seemed awkward. Did he gain some weight?

With more match practice, i hope he will be back to his best.
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by chinaman

Enam tried faster and flighted deliveries but he could not get much out of this pitch, again apart from some bounce.

Is that kind of pitch different or normal at this time of the year in England? .
It is normal for Hove though. I do not how many of you are familiar about this ground. The Cromwell Road end has a big slope right to the bowling crease. Of course, until mid-afternoon our faster bowlers , of course, used this end. Enamul using the other end. That was understandable. However, a strong breeze was blowing at the pace bowler's face. So it was a no-win situation. Enamul also did not get much help from the breeze as he could not bowl into it as normally a spinner would prefer.
Old May 15, 2005, 03:37 PM
BC Editorial Team

That just reminded me - what of the infamous lord's slope? Our young bowlers are bound to have rhytm issues with that.
Old May 15, 2005, 03:38 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by cricket_pagol
Looking at the clps it seemed that masri was lacking rhythm... his run up and follow through seemed awkward. Did he gain some weight?

Funny, you noticed that. Watching through my bins, he looked bulky. But with so many sweaters it is difficult. They did their "warm-downs" in front of us. He didn't look that bad. By the way, all three of the pacers are above six feet !
Old May 15, 2005, 03:40 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by cricket_pagol

Mashrafe has either put on some weight or was heavily bundled up for the cold. His run up and delivery did seem a little laboured.
Old May 15, 2005, 03:49 PM
Retired BC Admin

Wouldn't be surprised if 'Londoni hospitality' with Tadoori, Biryani.. probably found its way to the national team within the last few days.

Remember the 'kurbani' effect against the Zimbabwe on the first two ODIs?