facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 4, 2005, 07:04 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default Jones \'cheating\' allogations not conclusive

I've just seen the highlights and I don't think it's conclusive that the ball didn't carry.

The first time you look at the replay it looks pretty stone wall but further examinations of the replay suggest that maybe the ball did carry.

The impression I am left with is that Jones got his fingertips under the ball and the ball has bounced into his hands off his fingertips, I don't think the ball hit the ground.

I am going to bed now so I will leave you too debate it, but, I don't think its conclusive the ball didn't carry, have a close look yourself.

Old June 4, 2005, 07:13 PM
Test Cricketer

I have seen the replay over and over again. It did not carry. The commentators also agree to that.

Have a good nights sleep.
Old June 4, 2005, 07:15 PM
Test Cricketer

My friend, after all these talk you insist on bringing it up again. When was the last time you went for an eye-exam?
ODI Cricketer

I think theres enough doubt myself. Anyway, lets move on.
Club Cricketer

As your biased being an England fan you think it carried. But to me it bounced. Even the commenators said it. Boycott said that he wouldn't have walked like Nafis did.
Old June 4, 2005, 07:16 PM
ODI Cricketer

Boycott wouldn't walk if he edged it to slip, he would stand his ground and wait for the umpire.
Old June 4, 2005, 07:17 PM
Bangla amar Maa
Unregistered

I just wonder , how come it bounced in the hands with the help of the fingertips anyway something new to learn ........
Old June 4, 2005, 07:20 PM
ODI Cricketer

GoJo has his hands rested on the ground when he is in his 'stance', figure it out.
Old June 4, 2005, 07:20 PM
ODI Cricketer

you just saw the highlights and me and many others(like sky sports commentators, cricinfo reporters) saw it live, with lots of replays. There is no argue in whether ball did not carry or not. All knows it did not, the only argue is whether Jones did it intentionally or not. And I am 100% sure he did know it did not carry. Go to BBC forum, you will see, many English fan also thinks Jones cheated.

Have a nice sleep.

Edited on, June 5, 2005, 12:21 AM GMT, by cracky.
Old June 4, 2005, 07:21 PM
Club Cricketer

There's no defence for Jones. ICC needs to clean the game up and make it fair, and cheating should be eradicated. He should get a 3 game ban.
Old June 4, 2005, 07:23 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Bangla amar Maa
I just wonder , how come it bounced in the hands with the help of the fingertips anyway something new to learn ........
It only takes place in a 4th dimensional world which is ubiquitous in a person like jones with an imaginary mind.
Old June 4, 2005, 07:25 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Hoes does that make the game fair? Jones being banned for 3 matches does not do justice to Bangladesh who needed the runs from Nafis today.

ICC needs to start penalizing like american football, subtract 50 runs from the offending team total.

Edited on, June 5, 2005, 12:26 AM GMT, by Rajputro.
Old June 4, 2005, 07:26 PM
Test Cricketer

Bangladesh must lodge an official complain!. If Jones is innocent it will come out of the investigation. In fact Jones should insist on it. But I I think he would not.
Old June 4, 2005, 07:26 PM
ODI Cricketer

I just don't think its 100% conclusive, and I think any complaint will be shrugged off as 'inconclusive'
Old June 4, 2005, 07:28 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Within 12 overs Bangladesh had posted 50 without loss, but the manner in which this partnership was ended soured the atmosphere.

Andrew Flintoff banged the ball into the pitch. Nafees Iqbal fended and the ball brushed his glove, which took away some of its momentum. Geraint Jones dived forward and claimed the catch; England celebrated and Nafees set off for the pavilion. Halfway there, he was encouraged to turn around by his colleagues on the balcony. So he did, but umpire Tony Hill nodded that he was out.

The TV replays, we know, are unreliable on disputed catches. But on this occasion they made the catch look very dodgy indeed. Dav Whatmore, the Bangladesh coach and a diplomat to the core, said that he would be touching on this subject in his report to the match referee. It was clear that the Bangladesh team on the balcony were certain that the catch was bogus. That was my impression too. Had this been an Ashes Test, World War III would have broken out. Instead there was just a bewildered shaking of heads. It should not make any difference who the opposition are.

Nowadays, umpires are encouraged to make these decisions on the field rather than refer to the third umpire, unless their view is obscured. In this instance no third umpire could possibly have pressed the red button. We must assume that Geraint Jones was sure the catch had carried. If not, he could do with a personal audience with Rodney Marsh, who famously called Derek Randall back in the Centenary Test, a rather more important game than this one, because he was unsure of the validity of the catch.
Source: Guardian: Bangladesh fight back to slow England's victory procession

Edited on, June 5, 2005, 12:29 AM GMT, by reverse_swing.
Old June 4, 2005, 07:29 PM
Administrator

From the Guardian

>>> source <<<

Quote:
But in the afternoon, after Vaughan's lunchtime declaration, the game departed from the script. Bangladesh topped 250, which was fine, and they defiantly took the match into a third day, but the match briefly lost much of its merriment. Within 12 overs Bangladesh had posted 50 without loss, but the manner in which this partnership was ended soured the atmosphere.

Andrew Flintoff banged the ball into the pitch. Nafees Iqbal fended and the ball brushed his glove, which took away some of its momentum. Geraint Jones dived forward and claimed the catch; England celebrated and Nafees set off for the pavilion. Halfway there, he was encouraged to turn around by his colleagues on the balcony. So he did, but umpire Tony Hill nodded that he was out.

The TV replays, we know, are unreliable on disputed catches. But on this occasion they made the catch look very dodgy indeed. Dav Whatmore, the Bangladesh coach and a diplomat to the core, said that he would be touching on this subject in his report to the match referee. It was clear that the Bangladesh team on the balcony were certain that the catch was bogus. That was my impression too. Had this been an Ashes Test, World War III would have broken out. Instead there was just a bewildered shaking of heads. It should not make any difference who the opposition are.

Nowadays, umpires are encouraged to make these decisions on the field rather than refer to the third umpire, unless their view is obscured. In this instance no third umpire could possibly have pressed the red button. We must assume that Geraint Jones was sure the catch had carried. If not, he could do with a personal audience with Rodney Marsh, who famously called Derek Randall back in the Centenary Test, a rather more important game than this one, because he was unsure of the validity of the catch.
Old June 4, 2005, 07:30 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by rob22888
I just don't think its 100% conclusive, and I think any complaint will be shrugged off as 'inconclusive'
On the other hand, Jones Character is 100% Conclusive to all the commentators, spectators, players, and his beloved Captain.
Old June 4, 2005, 07:31 PM
ODI Cricketer

What do you mean by that?
Old June 4, 2005, 07:33 PM
Test Cricketer

CHEATER
Old June 4, 2005, 07:33 PM
Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Flipper
Quote:
Originally posted by rob22888
On the other hand, Jones Character is 100% Conclusive to all the commentators, spectators, players, and his beloved Captain.
Well Flipper you can't blame him only. In this case umpires were guilty too in my opinion.
Old June 4, 2005, 07:36 PM
ODI Cricketer

The captains the cheat, not GoJo. It was the captains responcibility the call Nafees back, only the captain can override an umpires decision when an opposition batsman is given out.

Anyway, I think I am going to stop getting involved in this arguement. Your entitled to your opinion, I have mine, you have yours. You all seem pretty stubborn so I will leave it at that.
Old June 4, 2005, 07:37 PM
Test Cricketer

Yeah, I thought we had this discussion already!
Old June 4, 2005, 07:38 PM
Chief Moderator

I think Jones will not get more than 1 match ban in this case if Bangladesh have decided to complain.
Old June 4, 2005, 07:42 PM
First Class Cricketer

Mate...you have got to be kidding Even after watching all those replays, HOW can you not see that the ball fell a few inches short before Jones got to it? Maybe Jones genuinely felt he caught the ball well but the FACT IS HE DIDN'T...every radio and TV commentator agree on this.
Old June 4, 2005, 07:43 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Maybe Jones genuinely felt he caught the ball
Thats what I think, he didn't look sure to me.

Why do I keep getting dragged into this?