facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 5, 2005, 05:29 AM
Test Cricketer

Default Aftab Ahmed, The Rising Superstar of Bangladesh!

Aftab is a class in himself. He is the future of the team Bangladesh that is starting to make its mark in the game of test cricket. He ran out of partner here, but still managed to get close to his maiden test Century against the most hostile pace attack.

Congrats Aftab for your unbeaten 82!

And Thank You!

Edited on, June 5, 2005, 7:44 PM GMT, by pompous.
Reason: fixed the typo in the title! was bothering me

Old June 5, 2005, 06:24 AM
Test Cricketer

Congrats Aftab for hisunbeaten 82!
Tres bien!

But raising superstar huh?
Just keep in mind what our demi-god Ashraful 'i-even-hooked-Tino-Best' Matin has done since he scored that brilliant century against India. Nothing. Abslutely nothing! Next time Ash talks about maturity should be instantly rewarded by a pack of lolly-pops, some soft toys and a few good words on batting discipline!
Old June 5, 2005, 06:27 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

I remember a few days ago, people were asking for his head as he did not perform in test yet. I remember saying giving him more time and he will show his worth. he already proved to be an asset in odi and today he showed his first sign in test. one more example of "do not do too much experiment with players".
Old June 5, 2005, 06:44 AM
Test Cricketer

Aftab has a long way to go before he matures as a test batsman. His performance here just shows his class, but I am sorry to say, not his maturity as a test batsman. Anyways, he is one of the best we got, and a huge future prospect. He deserve our praises for this commandable acheivement.
Old June 5, 2005, 07:15 AM
Cricket Sage

Great jon Aftab.

I still wish, he matures quickly and plays TEST match as TEST match not ODI. JO should be his mentor not Bashar or Motin.
Old June 5, 2005, 07:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Congrats on getting ure first test half century Aftab.

If only he could have converted it into a century.
Old June 5, 2005, 09:31 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

yaa... let's start worshipping him from tonight!.. as we always instantly do to each of our boys who show something in a match!!

Aftab is a talent... no doubt!.. But after the experiences we have had with Alok, Hannan... and many more like Ash recently... I hav decided to take only consistant players as my favorites! Aftab looks brilliant... but let him prove he is capable of doing these consistantly and not becomea Hally's commet and come back once in every 76 years!

Still... congrats for his nice innings... he could hav got a great century if wickets hadn't fallen like that on the other end!

Edited on, June 5, 2005, 2:52 PM GMT, by crickethorizon.
Old June 5, 2005, 09:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Zephaniah
Congrats Aftab for hisunbeaten 82!
Tres bien!

But raising superstar huh?
Just keep in mind what our demi-god Ashraful 'i-even-hooked-Tino-Best' Matin has done since he scored that brilliant century against India. Nothing. Abslutely nothing! Next time Ash talks about maturity should be instantly rewarded by a pack of lolly-pops, some soft toys and a few good words on batting discipline!
i havent seen ash bat much. but i can say one thing, scoring 158 against india in bangladesh is much less than scoring 82 against england in england now. england got a quality attack with 4 quickies and one spinner. pitch is bouncy and seaming. thats why u see someone like mashrafi cant even lay bat on ball because their technique is found out in these conditions.

how many runs ashraful scored? dont think he is finding it too easy but because he was just not good enough.
Old June 5, 2005, 10:05 AM
Test Cricketer

well played aftab.
but, i think r getting too harsh on ash.
that 158 of his on turning track was one of the best innings played last year.
as for alok and hannan .i dont think there career is over.
there r going to come back for sure
Old June 5, 2005, 10:23 AM
Test Cricketer

It would be wise for us not to compare Ash with Aftab. Only future will tell who is what as both of them just started their career. (Although Ash is little older in the test arena)

I just wanted to Congratulate Aftab for his brave performance here, that's all.
Old June 5, 2005, 11:50 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally posted by Fazal
Great jon Aftab.

I still wish, he matures quickly and plays TEST match as TEST match not ODI. JO should be his mentor not Bashar or Motin.
He played this TEST match as a TEST match. In the 2nd innings, England were trying their best to wrap up the match as quickly as possible. He took full advantage of England's aggressive bowling and field placement.
Old June 5, 2005, 11:56 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

Aftab's innings would shut up a lot of his critics... the making of a genuine match-winner (a few years from now) is surely in the making.
Old June 5, 2005, 11:58 AM
Banned

And yet again we have 2 fallen "superstars" and one rising "superstar." What rubbish. They are no stars..they are just doing their duty.
Old June 5, 2005, 12:33 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Quote:
Originally posted by Fazal
Great jon Aftab.

Old June 5, 2005, 12:45 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
And yet again we have 2 fallen "superstars" and one rising "superstar." What rubbish. They are no stars..they are just doing their duty.
You got that right.
Old June 5, 2005, 01:43 PM
ODI Cricketer

Too many inconsistent superstar batsmen, not enough dull, boring, consistent batsmen. Where is Chauhan? (Never scored a century, but opened with Gavaskar) Golla needs a sidekick if we are to survive test cricket with some pride.
Old June 5, 2005, 01:58 PM
ODI Cricketer

What impressed me most about Aftab was his technique. Out of all the Bangladesh batsmen he looked the best technically. He got behind the ball and played with a straight bat, and also has a wide array of shots for putting the bad balls away.

Seeing as he is only 19, he still has some maturing to do so I imagine you will have to put up with some disapointing dismissals along the way, but, persevere with him. I like the look of him and expect him too good.

What alarms me is the immaturity of Asharful. Its not as if he is 'a new kid on the block' so to speak, he has been around for a good number of years now and should be showing greater maturity. Not slogging the ball to long on two overs before lunch.
Old June 5, 2005, 02:34 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Amla

ash has got some mental problem he really needs to understand the situation before he goes out to bat
Old June 5, 2005, 02:37 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by rob22888
He got behind the ball and played with a straight bat, and also has a wide array of shots for putting the bad balls away.
That's his strength above others. I hope he gains consistancy with time and age... he wil become an asset for BD if he does.

Edited on, June 5, 2005, 7:44 PM GMT, by crickethorizon.
Old June 5, 2005, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

well, good to see that aftab did well in the last innings. after all, his test performances haven't been very good ever since he came in.
Old June 5, 2005, 03:43 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally posted by Pundit

one good innings doesn't make someone a superstar, he has a long way to go.
Old June 5, 2005, 04:34 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
Quote:
Originally posted by Pundit

one good innings doesn't make someone a superstar, he has a long way to go.
Spitfire_x86,

I think you got it wrong, no one is suggesting here that he is already a superstar! But, I think you are suggesting in your earlier thread that Aftab's approach in this game was the way we should approach test games. That means Aftab is a Test Class batsman already after one match. Am I right?
Old June 5, 2005, 04:37 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by fwullah
Quote:
You got that right.
fwullah,

When Bangladesh does bad, you say SHAME SHAME,
But, when BD does well, you don't praise them, you just say it was their job. You are a very diplomatic fan!:P
Old June 5, 2005, 04:37 PM
First Class Cricketer

i have seen ashrafulm WELL before his international debut.. i can very well remmeber that he used to play in the year a lot..

he has good eye and probably gets more time to play than others. But Aftab, looks more correct.. and will be the ideal number three for us in the both form... so far in his career, he never looked uncomfortable.. yet, he got out without making a big score..... a longer innings in the first test at lords or that ctg innings could have rewritten many things....

despite all the caveat, one can say that Aftab is a genuine stroke maker.. we probably do not have any one like him.. (only Ashraful can match him...)

Overall, one needs different sorts of player in the top six, u also need player who can graft and can adjust the game accordingly.. Since Rahim also showed good technique, it is Rajin who will be under pressure...
Old June 5, 2005, 04:47 PM
Test Cricketer

aftab first showed what he can do after he was moved to #3 in ODIs against zimbabwe (specially 5th ODI). yesterday he showed that it wasn't just against zimbabwe, he can play similar innings against one of the world's best pace attacks. if he can avoid playing some silly shots he can go a long way. i won't call him a superstar yet. i don't want anymore talents spoiled. but i'm sure that he is far more consistent than ashraful and if ashraful doesn't come down to earth and if aftab doesn't think of himself as a superman, he will be a better batsman than ashraful in future.