facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 6, 2005, 08:09 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya
Default Ashraful not guaranteed a spot on Natwest

http://www.newagebd.com/2005/jun/07/spt.html

"Chief selector Faruque Ahmed informed that they are trying to sort out the right combinations for the triangular-series and the coming two practice matches against Derbyshire on June 10 and Worcestershire on June 12 will help them a lot.
'The out-of-form players like Mohammad Ashraful and Rajin Saleh have to prove their abilities in the two one-day practice matches. So, I think we will be able to put in a strong team for our next mission,' said the chief selector."

Rajin better do well to in the practice matches, In my mind dosent make a diffrence cause ash will play well a 2nd string Derby squad. Mahmud's all fired up.He thinks we can win 2 games!

Old June 6, 2005, 08:27 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

whats gonna happen is that ash gonna play some cracking innings in those practise matches...
but when back on the field for the real deal...
he's gonna show his true colours again..and dissapoint us with his reckless batting....

that is whats gonna happen....

hope im wrong...
Old June 6, 2005, 08:49 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Ash's problem is all psycological. I think his head is ruined once again by the "player of the year" award. The same way he got flying over the sky after his first century. He just need another wake up call and will be fine.

How about we leave him out of the first match squad regardless of what he does in the practice matches. that could be enough and as soon as he realize that his place is not fixed, he will start to perform in the next 5 matches.
Old June 6, 2005, 09:15 PM
Cricket Legend

There too many middle order batsmen in the team. So, obviously Ash and Rajin each has to sit down for a practice match to make room for Tushar and Rana. So, it is a question of which two will make the best use of the only shot they will get. Obviously if those two fails in couple of ODI's, other two will get their chances again. Even Abir will push those guys for a spot unless Iqbal fails to put a decent show in practice matches.
Old June 6, 2005, 09:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Atleast Ash scored a century against British Universities but Rajin has done nothing. But Ash's mode of dismissals has been stupid. What happens if both fail? :duh:
Old June 6, 2005, 09:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

if both fails...and someone from tushar or rana do well then they will come into the team...thats the logical answer... but i dunno... practice match doesnt mean anything...look at munir or shahadat....did good in the practice match....but failed miserably in the real game.... so i guess we should still go with them.... but the idea of droping ash for one game is not a bad idea...
Old June 6, 2005, 09:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Quote:
Originally posted by AgentSmith
Ash's problem is all psycological. I think his head is ruined once again by the "player of the year" award. The same way he got flying over the sky after his first century. He just need another wake up call and will be fine.
i dun think its cuz he is flying over the sky...last innings that he played... i actually felt bad for him... he had no confidence wat so ever.... he had no idea wat he was doing in the middle.... he was very nervous...i never saw him this nervous and clueless before...
Old June 6, 2005, 09:37 PM
Cricket Legend

I don't think Tushar will put much challenge for Ash or Rajin. I am more interested to see what kind of show Rana stages with his limitions.
Old June 6, 2005, 09:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by sadi
Quote:
i dun think its cuz he is flying over the sky...last innings that he played... i actually felt bad for him... he had no confidence wat so ever.... he had no idea wat he was doing in the middle.... he was very nervous...i never saw him this nervous and clueless before...
The problem with Ash is sometimes he is overconfident of himself as Agent said while for the rest of the period unsure what to do as Sadi described. The guy just needs to find the balance between his high hopes and despairs.
Old June 6, 2005, 10:45 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Saeed Anwar

Quote:

How about we leave him out of the first match squad regardless of what he does in the practice matches. that could be enough and as soon as he realize that his place is not fixed, he will start to perform in the next 5 matches.
I agree with you 100%. He needs a lesson and needs to come down to earth.
Old June 6, 2005, 11:43 PM
Cricket Legend

I think Khaled Mamud will be a sure success for this series. His performance is always good in England.
Old June 7, 2005, 12:05 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone

i think selectors should drop him if he fails one more time (either in the practice matches, or the ODIs even if he manages to string together 2 good innings in the practice matches). He will learn a good lesson if he is dropped, and come back better, more humble and more hard working.

Just look at what it did for a certain R. Ponting from Australia. He was dropped after some bad innings, and when he came back, he was more mature and hard working......
Old June 7, 2005, 12:21 AM
Cricket Legend

dont worry guy. Ash has already done his quota of 1 hundred in a series. so he could not be in the team because he would not score in the practice match. better we have to think who among Rajin, Rana and Tushar
Old June 7, 2005, 01:46 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Saeed Anwar

Shariar Nafees must get a chance this time. We need a left hander in our line up. My BD team"

1. Javed Omar
2. Nafees
3. Shariar Nafees
4. Habitual Basher
5. Aftab Ahmed
6. Turshar Imran
7. K Mahmud
8. K Mashud
9. Rafiq
10. Masfeee
11. Nazmul
Old June 7, 2005, 02:08 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: nadif chowdhury

I kinda feel sorry for Ashraful...
Old June 7, 2005, 02:38 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

i feel sorry for people who thinks ash is done for this tour. i dont care if ash scores all ducks for the remainder of the tour. i will still feel sorry for them. i feel even more sorry for people who want to pick rana over ash.

but yes, sitting ash for one or two games is a healthy idea.

Edited on, June 7, 2005, 7:39 AM GMT, by shovon13.
Old June 7, 2005, 03:36 AM
ODI Cricketer

i wouldn't go as far as to pick a squad for the natwest series... let's own up to the truth guys... favoritism is rampant in our selection process... whether aftab performs or not he is from the abedin colony; whether nafees performs or not he is Iqbal's son... that's just to cover chittagong... god knows what happens elsewhere... the javeds and the rafiques and mashrafees alone can't win you matches... sad but true...
Old June 7, 2005, 09:24 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally posted by shovon13
i feel sorry for people who thinks ash is done for this tour. i dont care if ash scores all ducks for the remainder of the tour. i will still feel sorry for them.
Don't feel sorry for us. We know our priority. Sorry for yourself. :P

Team First Players second.

Edited on, June 7, 2005, 2:25 PM GMT, by Fazal.
Old June 7, 2005, 09:49 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
i feel even more sorry for people who want to pick rana over ash.
I wonder what will happen if we create a hypothetical situation like this- Rana and Ash both plays in all the matches of the ODI tournament, we tally their runs at the end and see who comes first. The answer seems pretty straight forward. Not to mention the extra service of bowling that Rana provides for the team.
And please don't start talking - Rana's style is not good etc. etc. I have had enough of that.
Old June 7, 2005, 10:11 AM
Test Cricketer

Asha Harano Fool er mental support dorkar.
Old June 7, 2005, 11:01 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Courtney Walsh

Quote:
[i]4. Habitual Basher
HA HA HA HA....
Old June 7, 2005, 11:54 AM
ODI Cricketer

Do you remember how Micheal Slater was dropped from Australia at his prime for playing a rash shot probably against WI (I am not sure about the opponent)? Aussies did not think twice to leave their best opener who averaged almost 50 in test cricket.My point is that senior players have to be held responsible for playing rash shots.Who the hell gives a damn about talent if it's of no use.Ash definitely needs to learn his lesson the hard way.He got too many things too easily for doing too little.It's time for a reality check.
Old June 7, 2005, 02:38 PM
Test Cricketer

okay, i'll appreciate it if people read the whole post before starting their botham-like analyses. i did say dropping ash for one or two games will be a healthy idea. but to think ash should be replaced by rana for the whole tour....well its not gonna happen. because our selectors know better. i dont like jumping ships. lets create this hypothetical situation...ash scores 158* against india in the most pressured situation imaginable, with the tailenders. oh wait, it really happened. and what were you guys saying back then? shall we go back and look over those threads? i'd bet the word "god" came up a few times in there too. by the way, i'm not using this as an example to prove that ash is a good batsman. i'm using this to show how us fans can turn on a player in two seconds.

about rana, even the craziest rana fans would agree that he has as good a technique as my grandmother. work it out would you?....lack of tenchnique - english condition - the best bowlers in the world - early summer in england

AGAIN...ash can be benched for a couple of games. but you dont bench your best batsman for the whole tour.
Old June 7, 2005, 02:47 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Fazal
Quote:
i feel sorry for people who thinks ash is done for this tour. i dont care if ash scores all ducks for the remainder of the tour. i will still feel sorry for them.
Don't feel sorry for us. We know our priority. Sorry for yourself. :P

Team First Players second.

[/i]
sorry fazal, i didn't mean i prefer certain players over the whole team's performance. i meant the exact opposite. well it actually depends on what we expect. if we want to win atleast one game on this tour, i'd try my luck with ash on the team. if we just want to lose respectably, then i guess we'll have better luck with rana. (although i'm not sure how that will work, rana's bowling is a lot like rafique's but even suckier, and i really dont trust his batting. yeah i dont trust ash's batting either, but thats the point. when rana will click, we will lose respectably. when ash will click, we'll have a genuine chance of winning.)

rana definitely was the man of the match for two games against zim back in bangladesh. for his bowling. do you think he'll win matches for us with his bowling in england?
Old June 7, 2005, 03:32 PM
Cricket Sage

shovon13,

I understand your view point but kind of confused with that particular comment. So thanks for clearing that up. No doubt Ash with all his talent is a potential match winner when he is in his form. But what good does he provide if he is in his current state of mind?

Also talent wise no one is questioning or comparing Ash with Rana. Rana is no match with Ash at this point. But who knows he can be another Rafique in making. Every one thought same thing about Rafique in his early stage.

But I don't like it when people try to take a cheap shot at Rana, when what he have done is over acheived whenever he was given an opportunity. Let him give some more chance, if he not good enough (as you said) he will fail eventually, and no one will complain. But give him more chance (as long as he is performing for the team). Am I asking to shut down Ash for ever? No. But I think Ash need to do well in the warm up match. He need to realize that he need to compete for his position with other batsman in the team.

I can understand why people trash Ash. Becuase he is so talented, he could have done so much better, people have so much expectation, thats why people get disapointed with his under performance.

But why trashing a over achieving under talented guy (so far) like Rana, atleast as long as he is performing more than people expected out of him?

Just to be clear. I am not a fan of Ash nor a fan of Rana. Who ever is selected our national team, I expect them to perform. And who ever perform I expect every fans to achknowledge that. One the other hand the players also need to understand that its a previlidge to be selected in the national team. Its lot of pressure, but the reward is also enourmous: potential fame and money. Its the name of the game. they should either accept it or change their career to regular 9-5 job.

Here is some stat so far to bring every thing in perspective:

TEST
======

PLAYER---INNINGS----AVE
------------------------------------
ASH ------------53--------23.7
BASH ----------71--------34.1
RAJIN----------29 --------27.9
NAFIS----------16---------26.9
JAVED----------58--------22.9
AFTAB----------12--------23.4
PILOT-----------67--------20.3
RANA ----------11---------25.7
CHACHA------23---------12.1

ODI
======

PLAYER----INNINGS--AVE----S/R
------------------------------------------------
ASH----------47----------16.8------64
BASH--------63----------19.4------58
RAJIN--------31----------22.9------55
NAFIS--------14----------25.9------54
JAVED-------35----------22.7------50
AFTAB-------13----------26.8-------67
PILOT--------86----------20.0------54
RANA --------17----------22.7------49
CHACHA--- 68----------14.1-------68

Edited on, June 7, 2005, 8:47 PM GMT, by Fazal.
Reason: Opsi.. Ash ave is 23 not 28

Edited on, June 7, 2005, 9:04 PM GMT, by Fazal.
Reason: Added ChaCha