facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 9, 2005, 12:45 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default Channal I report on Sujon\'s retirement last night

Yesterday night Channel I reported that Sujon will retire from International cricket right after this England series.

His short interview seemed like a very emotional one and my immediate reaction was that he's gonna do 'something' in the Natwest series.

Old June 9, 2005, 12:51 AM
Bangla amar Maa
Unregistered

very funny ....... hasn't he been saying that since last year though and he got back to squad again .... what for ? He has retired form test and odi after loosing the captaincy ........ but he still plays ........ don't know why . We got Aftab as an allrounder now , we don't have to worry .
Old June 9, 2005, 12:59 AM
Test Cricketer

Bangla Amar Maa, I believe he was talked into 'unretiring' by the Prime Minister's son. And don't underestimate his contributions to Bangladesh cricket, it can be said that he singlehandedly brought us Test Status with his contribution in the match against Pakistan in the 99 World Cup, Aftab will be lucky if he can make any claim that will come even remotely close to that.
Old June 9, 2005, 01:04 AM
Street Cricketer

Mushfiqur Rahman was his natural successor but now we dont have a batting allrounder unless Mortaza inproves his technique against short balls.
Old June 9, 2005, 02:56 AM
Street Cricketer

There is no question of Sujonís contribution for the BD team. Not only for his performance in 1999 World Cup, also the way he worked with BD team after heavy defeat in last World cup. He should be praised for his whole carrier because of his fighting spirit all the times. Still the selectors believe that BD team needs his service and thatís why his name is there. Time comes for everyone to retire and may be he feels this the right time for him. All the best for his last one-day series. Good luck Sujon.
Old June 9, 2005, 03:11 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

And not to mention he was much better captain than Haba Habibul
Old June 9, 2005, 03:46 AM
Bangla amar Maa
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by capslock
Bangla Amar Maa, I believe he was talked into 'unretiring' by the Prime Minister's son. And don't underestimate his contributions to Bangladesh cricket, it can be said that he singlehandedly brought us Test Status with his contribution in the match against Pakistan in the 99 World Cup, Aftab will be lucky if he can make any claim that will come even remotely close to that.
But he said he has retired from odi and test after loosing the captaincy but as we know he still plays ......
Old June 9, 2005, 03:48 AM
Bangla amar Maa
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by crickwizard
Can you show me a single win in tests as a captain ? But Bashar won the series against Zimbabwe as a captain . You only look at his good side but don't forget to look at his bad side too . When he was captain of BD he has been bowling so many overs for nothing and in odi's he has been so expensive . 60 runs in odi match for 1 wicket it's not a good bowling for sure .

Edited on, June 9, 2005, 8:55 AM GMT, by Bangla amar Maa.
Old June 9, 2005, 04:22 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
it can be said that he singlehandedly brought us Test Status with his contribution in the match against Pakistan in the 99 World Cup
Eta mone hoche akta new information!... age kokhono suninai..!!
Bhai... who said that only our 99 win against pakistan brought the test status?!
Old June 9, 2005, 05:54 AM
Street Cricketer

Don't think his captaincy was ever in question.. he was by far the best captain of bangladesh. He's a good thinkin cricketer.......... His downfall was because his performances were way below par since he took over the captaincy.
Mahmud almost lead us to our 1st test win in Multan... which i reckon was our best performance since gainin test status........
I hope he stays involved in improving Bngladesh cricket in either the international or domestic circuit
Old June 9, 2005, 05:59 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Bangla amar Maa
Quote:
Originally posted by crickwizard
Can you show me a single win in tests as a captain ? But Bashar won the series against Zimbabwe as a captain . You only look at his good side but don't forget to look at his bad side too . When he was captain of BD he has been bowling so many overs for nothing and in odi's he has been so expensive . 60 runs in odi match for 1 wicket it's not a good bowling for sure .

Edited on, June 9, 2005, 8:55 AM GMT, by Bangla amar Maa.

u forgot the series against Pakistan??...we were almost gonna win the last test match...and Sujon was the captain for that tour...we even took 1st innings lead twice on that tour......nobody expected us to go that close......but all of us ecpected win against Zimbabwe....cuz they were weaker than Bangladesh

...about bowling, tell me one name...who was constantly taking wicket and was economic during Sujon's captaincy..
Sujon even had the best bowling figure in a test match for more than a year until Enamul jnr got 12 wickets against week Zimbabwe last January
Old June 9, 2005, 06:11 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by crickethorizon
Quote:
it can be said that he singlehandedly brought us Test Status with his contribution in the match against Pakistan in the 99 World Cup
Eta mone hoche akta new information!... age kokhono suninai..!!
Bhai... who said that only our 99 win against pakistan brought the test status?!

It was not the only the thing, but it can be called the catalyst.
Old June 9, 2005, 06:29 AM
ODI Cricketer

We should not forget Chacha's contributions to Bangladesh cricket. He has been a good servant!! Hope he does stay in Cricket and provide a much needed helping hand to the up and coming youngsters.

Players like Aftab are still young and have plenty to learn. You can't beat experience..
Old June 9, 2005, 06:30 AM

Good luck to Shujon in his last International series. Hope he will be related with Bangladesh cricket somehow, after his retirement.
Old June 9, 2005, 08:09 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: nadif chowdhury

Aftab cant take Shujon's place!! Aftab's a good player, but he has little or no experience. I say that Shujon's our best allrounder and you really can't devalue his contributions to our cricket and his place in the team.
Old June 9, 2005, 08:35 AM
ODI Cricketer

Good! he is going to retire
Old June 9, 2005, 08:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Bangla amar Maa
Quote:
But he said he has retired from odi and test after loosing the captaincy but as we know he still plays ......
You need to read what was replied.
This question was already replied by someone.
If you still unsure just go to the newspaper archive of that time and find out how Sujon was brought back from retirement.
Old June 9, 2005, 08:46 AM
First Class Cricketer

Capslock,

a comment on that point of "single handed"..... if that thing has anything to do with banglkadesh cricket then some how it leads to akram khan.

in 94 ICC, we were all set for being knocked out in the first round... against US, he really took us to victory single handedly..

in the next ICC, against holland, we were gone for all money.. most people know that i guess...

on sujon, hope that he gets a fair fairwell... he has been an important member of the one day side.. and this is a good time to retire....
Old June 9, 2005, 08:56 AM
Cricket Sage

We can make fun of ChaCha's all-round figure, we can argue against ChaCha's inclusion in Test team or even one-day team currently.

But all said and done, at the end of the day during his retirement time (this thread all about that) if we cannot see his past contribution and unable to show our appreciation, what can I say.... shouldn't we be termed as either ignorant fan or nimok haram?
Old June 9, 2005, 09:12 AM
Club Cricketer

What the hell is wrong with u people? Sujon was our captain at one point and served his country well. You all should be congratulating him and wishing him luck.
Some are comparing captaincy, some idiots are even comparing sujon with aftab. there is a difference between new Talent and an established player. Aftab is in the talent Pool, he may well become one of the best we will ever have but he will have to prove himself.
No wonder we are so behind in cricket. After one or two good innings people start talking about big future, it takes time for one to grow and become an established player and we lose our patience too soon.
Old June 9, 2005, 09:45 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

WOW!

he is going to be the first bangladeshi to retire while staying in the national team!

congrat Sujon.You did a lot for the team, and I hope we will NOT miss you. My current guess is aftab will take over his place as a pacer alrounder. If not rana is always handy as a spinner alrounder. Since he has been away from test team for a while, nothing to think about there.

But one thing for sure: We have to let him play the 6th Match. So he gets a formal way to getting out of the game.
Old June 9, 2005, 10:14 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Bangla amer ma you should know that the way you support cricketers, it wont take you for long time to call for the head of aftab too....

I know i my self was angry time to time on chacha and he is hopeless back home but the way he fought back in the team has earned my respect. Just think you r fight with a 15/17 year old for you computer job after doing that for say 25 yrs. Most of us will give up and retire but he fought back and right fully in the englad series. If it was on to me i would also tried him in the 3 day practice and go from there...

Well done chacha we will remember you as we remember akram, bulbul and many more....

You were a great servent of this poor country... and hope you come back as BD manager and kick that col out

congratulations
Old June 9, 2005, 10:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Although i-channel reported this news with interview last night, but this came to the newspapers earlier.
However, we should salute him as a Veteran Fighter, who has contributed a lot to Bangladesh Cricket. We shall remember him with due respect.
Old June 9, 2005, 10:33 AM
Test Cricketer

Thanks to Khaled Mahmud for all his Contributions to our Cricket. Hope he stays with BD cricket even after he retires.
Old June 9, 2005, 11:31 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

he needs to go out in style, We should let him captain the last ODI.