facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 9, 2003, 08:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Woolmer is going to WI

Woolmer set for Windies job

By Thrasy Petropoulos
BBC Sport in Port Elizabeth

Bob Woolmer could become the new West Indies coach at the end of the World Cup.

The former South Africa coach has confirmed he was interviewed by the West Indies' four national selectors - including Sir Viv Richards - early last week in Kimberley.

"I had been told by good friend and Dr Rudi Webster [former Warwickshire bowler and director of the West Indies academy] the job would soon be vacant and he asked whether I wanted to submit my CV, which I did," Woolmer told the BBC Sport website.

"I had a two-and-a-half hour meeting with the West Indies selection panel in Kimberley early last week.

"I am not sure what will come of it. It is up to them to call me now. But it goes without saying, for the meeting to last as long as it did means it was encouraging on both sides."

The former England all-rounder added: "The one thing I did make clear was if I was going to coach a national side again I would expect to be able to implement the various techniques that I have developed over the years.

"But I am interested in the job. Otherwise I would not have expressed my interest."

Roger Harper, the current coach, has not re-applied for the position and has not been offered an extension to his contract, which expires after the World Cup.

Richards and the other West Indies selectors have therefore taken advantage of the tournament to approach other possible candidates.

Australian academy coach Bennett King and KwaZulu-Natal's Eldine Baptiste were also interviewed.

One source said Richards was "very impressed" with Bennett King's candidacy and was on the verge of offering him the job before Woolmer came into the picture.

The source added: "The WICB have progressed to the point of talking dollars with Woolmer, so it's a safe bet he is the man they want."

Woolmer has also been offered a two-year extension by the ICC to his position as high performance director, working with the associate member countries, Kenya, Canada, Holland, and Namibia.

Before his meeting with the WICB, he said he was "99% certain" to accept the extension.

Old March 9, 2003, 09:51 PM
Club Cricketer

Default Who are the other available coaching stars?

Are there coaching stars in cricket who have established a reputation for rescuing very poorly performing teams?

For those of you who follow american football, Bill Parcells is someone who has a particular reputation for being able to produce remarkable improvements in the performance of dreadful teams within a short period of time.

Are there cricket coaches with similar reputations?
Old March 10, 2003, 03:02 AM
First Class Cricketer

Default SOME NAMES

I believe Imran Khan, Kapil Dev or Mohammad Azaharuddin could be very effective in the role of Coach for Bangladesh cricket team. Although they do not have any record or reputation as coaches.

Why have I chosen these names? That would lead to a lengthy explanation.

PORE SHOMOY HOLEY AREKDIN LIKHBO.
Old March 10, 2003, 05:52 AM
Test Cricketer

Default No Subcontinentals ever! Please!

My God, I hope the BCB doesn't make the mistake of hiring unprofessional Subcontinental coaches for the forseeable future. We have had plenty of bad experiences a la Mohinder Amarnath and Mohsin Kamal. No more, please! If that dunce Lobby goes out and gets another Paki (or Indian) coach that will be the total doom of our cricket. These duffers all lack professionalism. I don't want to sound like I have an inferiority complex, but at least as far as cricket coaches are concerned, we should get a coach with excellent work ethics. And those coaches are usually English, South African, Australian or Kiwi. I'd even go with a West Indian.

However, knowing how Lobby sucks up to his Pakistani and Indian counterparts (Prothom Alo revealed how he was desperate to get a Pakistani coach only because he is a big Pakistan cricket fan) we will probably end up with another imbecile who will precipitate our complete downfall.
Old March 14, 2003, 01:55 AM
First Class Cricketer

Default PROFESSIONALISM

Shubho,

Do you think all sub-continentals are unprofessional? Do you think it is fair to use a rubber stamp marked "UNPROFESSIONAL" and stamp on all of us, because we are sub- continentals? How would you feel if you are fully qualified or the best qualified person for a job/ contract and you are sidetracked because you come from the sub-continent?

I am not trying to compete against you or trying to prove you wrong. Nothing like that. I am just trying to communicate my own thoughts.

I have personally seen many employees in top organisations in the western world providing a most unprofessional service, while on the other hand found some top notch professionals in Bangladesh. That doesn't mean too much though.

I agree with you, in general, there is more professionalism in the western world. And that's probably why you would prefer not to take any risk. I fully understand.

All I want to communicate to you is few points.

1) There are talented people in the sub-continent. These people are not recognised widely because English is a second language over there. In the world context, the language is English, it is through English big people know big people. Our gifted people remain unknown because no one talks/ writes about them in English

2) In general, we do not promote our own people. If we don't value ourselves, who will take the step to add value to the sub-continent ? Who in the world can be so generous ?

3) The reason I mentioned Imran Khan Kapil Dev and Mohammad Azharuddin are due to the following reasons -

- They are internationally renowned superstars
- They understand our culture, our motivations. They know where our players are coming from, they will easily find out what their backgrounds are, will communicate clearly with our players, will create good rapport, understand their goals and aspirations, create their short-term and long-term goals etc. Trust me, this point is very important. This was actually my major consideration when I mentioned these names.

3) Out of the 3, Imran Khan and Kapil Dev would receive priority as they were all rounders.

I am not even sure what they would do if they were approached. Imran Khan is quite busy in Pakistan with politics in the big stage. Kapil Dev - I am not sure what he is doing at the moment.

I am pretty sure, if we got one of them we could make a big leap. With their personality and charisma, they could bring to Bangladesh a lot more that just cricket.

Things like PRERONA, UDDIPONA, ULLASH, SHOPNO

Shubho, please let me know what your thoughts are after you have read this.

[Edited on 14-3-2003 by DOORBIN]
Old March 14, 2003, 08:09 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default Kamal

Mohsin Kamal had all these "They understand our culture, our motivations. They know where our players are coming from, they will easily find out what their backgrounds are, will communicate clearly with our players, will create good rapport, understand their goals and aspirations, create their short-term and long-term goals etc. " Yet he sucked.

I would like to point out a different thing in this issue. When Lobi wanted a Pakistani coach, why wasn't Javed Miandad approached? He coached temporarily in Bangladesh, but why not in long term? Before looking into Kapil Devs, and Imran Khans (who are not reputed coaches) I think we need to investigate on this matter first.
Old March 14, 2003, 11:26 AM
Cricket Legend

what about sri lankan coaches?

sham what is the latest on the investigative front? what is the brain trust thinking when it comes to replacing mohsin kamal?
Old March 14, 2003, 02:25 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Doorbin

You are indeed right to point out that writing off all Subcontinentals as unprofessional no-gooders is unfair. I'm sure there are good coaches out there...but as things stand now, there are no good Subcontinental coaches at test level.

There is a reason why the three strongest Asian sides have all chosen to go with non-Subcontinental coaches. The patriotism thing didn't really work in the past, so they went with proven individuals from outside. Why should Bangladesh have to do with the leftovers? And in Mohsin Kamal's case we're talking about the leftovers of the leftovers.

If Imran Khan, Azharuddin, Javed Miandad et al were really that good, you would have seen the our neighbours' respective cricket boards queuing up outside their houses until they agreed to coach the national team.

Apart from that, we don't NECESSARILY need someone to understand our culture. We need someone to kick the players' rear-ends. Somebody who will guide the boys ably.

One day, maybe our own people can take over the coaching position, but right now, the answer should be a resounding 'no'.
Old March 20, 2003, 01:51 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Don't hear nothing now about the investigation commity

[Edited on 20-3-2003 by ehsan]
Old March 20, 2003, 03:52 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Javed Miandad is now Pakistan's coach.

But why didn't we get him when our Board President had requested for a Pakistani coach about more than 6 months ago?
Old March 20, 2003, 01:31 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
If Imran Khan, Azharuddin, Javed Miandad et al were really that good, you would have seen the our neighbours' respective cricket boards queuing up outside their houses until they agreed to coach the national team.

I think our neighbours cricket boards always have/play nasty politics with these cricketing figures. There is personality conflict with board officials/or somebody - that is one of the reason that these names never came up for their coaches.

We also had coaches outside the subcontinent - Edi burlo and Trevor Chappel. I am not sure how much these two could give to our players.

What about Aravinda de Silva? He could be a good choice. What do you think?
Old March 23, 2003, 01:18 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

De silva is just a good player... I don't necessarily think he has the foundation to be a good coach....We need some one who's well experienced