facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 11, 2005, 07:54 PM
First Class Cricketer

Default Do our selectors really care about domestic league

I really feel this is unfair that Golam Rahman, Farhad Reza and Alamgir are not in A team. Golam Rahman is the highest scorer in NCL in longer version and Farhard Reza is second highest scorer in Longer version and Highest scorer in ODIs and Alamgir is the highest wicket takers. So if our selectors do not care about domestic league performance then my question is what criteria they follow to select a team. I am afraid that may be our senior players will not take NCL sincerely next time (I think already thay are doing so) and that will obviously loss the brightness of NCL. I believe that if we do not have a strong domestic league we could not go for a bright future for our cricket and could not produce quality players

Old June 11, 2005, 08:08 PM
BanglaCricket Multimedia

Well this has been happening quite a lot. Most of the national team players dont get to play NCL due to their national duties. U-19 players dont get to play the NCL either caz thet get call-ups directly from the U-19 tourneys which in most cases happens to be their first exposure to competitive cricket to begin with.

NCL is nothing but a joke and then we complain abt having no strong infrastucture in the domestic leagues in BD. Eitherways, Faisal Hossain got a national team call up from the NCL and he failed miserably in the big scene. The BD A team and development squad tours shud be the stepping stone for NCL recruits. A bad call from the selectors in not including the NCL performers.
Old June 11, 2005, 09:16 PM
First Class Cricketer

I think you (radicalsami moderator) misunderstood me. You said NCL is nothing but a joke and if our selectors believes the same way then we cound never ever be a strong cricket nation and I didn't say that we should pick some one for our national team based on NCL or Dhaka League. My point is we should consider the best performers of NCL or Dhaka league for A team or aged group team. You make an example about Faisal Hossain, I do agree with you about 100% about Faisal Hossain. Thats why I post this thread. Only one season performence in NCL or Dhaka league no one should consider for the National team. To be a national team member one must have to perform for more than 2 years in domestic league and as well as A team or aged group team. There may be some exception, but there should be some policy. I hardly believe that our selectors have any policy or rules to select our national team.
Old June 11, 2005, 10:08 PM
First Class Cricketer

Our selectors dont give a damn about doemstic league beacuse that does bring any money......... I cant believe we have such a bull**** league after five years of test status.................

Edited on, June 12, 2005, 8:13 AM GMT, by razabq.
Reason: profanity
Old June 11, 2005, 10:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Farhad reza and Golam Rahman are too young at this point, neither of them has more than one year experience of playing first class cricket. Probably it is better for them to play one or two more domestic seasons before coming to international stage. I think selectors did the right thing by going for more experienced players (we don't want anymore humilation from county teams).

Edited on, June 12, 2005, 3:33 AM GMT, by TheWatcher.
Old June 11, 2005, 11:04 PM
First Class Cricketer

r56hg,

thewatcher has a good point, in retrospect, it is a favor made to golam rahman and farhad reza... they will be much better some years on. (if they do not, then they may be a fluke).

i have followed shefield shield cricket (then the name of australian domestic) from the days when australia was a looser type of things.. (One dave whatmore used to play in Victoria.. was nobody.. as the team had Dean Jones and Jamie Siddons)... and off course the english county cricket. And most importantly I followed Dhaka league too.. there was nothing except two tournament damal summer and dhaka league.. I

you see there can be two mistakes one can do..select awrong player and not to choose aright player.. i believe first is more dangerous..that ends the chance for that guy.. I can give u international criketing examples from the 70s... but i guess, most folks will not even know those players who fell victim to selector's wrong policy.. so it is much better to get chance little later (if someone is not running out of age )

I can also give some bangladeshi examples:

Moniruzzaman
Shezan
Faisal hossain..

i just wish selectors just waited.. opposite example? Aftab he was in the team playing england two years ago..did not get the debut... in retrospect, it helped him..
Old June 12, 2005, 01:01 AM
Cricket Legend

and to add the last point, shahriar nafees not playing much of a role so far will be just fine because he is gaining some valuable exposure on this tour. although with nafees' current form, i wouldn't be surprised if shahriar nafees puts some pressure on that spot after the game against worcestershire tomorrow.

back to the A team, players like Golam Rahman should be tried out in upcoming home series BCB XI type games before being thrown to the wolves on an England tour. It seems they have stacked the team with national players to give these guys more England experience which can't hurt. And we need to see what Enamul can do in England later in the summer.

On the other hand, I think they should have taken another keeper because Rahim may or may not be ready as a keeper. And there is not much real experience in the pacer department (as usual).

But all in all, a reasonable A selection.
Old June 13, 2005, 01:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Prince explains the selection
Old June 13, 2005, 02:13 PM
BC Editorial Team

figured as much - we should send a B team to Zim & Kenya tho - that will give the Golams Rs and what not some chance
Old June 13, 2005, 02:37 PM
First Class Cricketer

Poor Golam Rahman- he was really expecting a chance
Old June 13, 2005, 02:50 PM
First Class Cricketer

- one day he will be our star batsman,, no doubt
Old June 13, 2005, 04:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by TheWatcher
Prince explains the selection
Selector Golam Nausher said, “Only experienced players can perform well in English Condition. The team was selected considering this aspect”.

I personally think Golan Nausher’s comment is not consistent enough. What kind of better English condition experience Nazimuddin and Hasanuzzam has compared to Golam Rahman and Farhad Reza? Or what kind of English condition experience Alamgir Kabir, Manjurul Islam or Hasibul does not have?
Old June 13, 2005, 05:12 PM
First Class Cricketer

I posted this Thread on 11th June, most of the members neglect ed this thread, the reason may be this thread posted by a Street Cricketer. But today when I read Prothom Aol and Jugantor I found that both leading papers critisized the selecton policy.

I also posted the Link here:

Khelar Khobor in Prothom Alo:
Prothom Alo
Khelar Khobor in Jugantor :
Jugantor

Edited on, June 13, 2005, 10:17 PM GMT, by r56hg.

Edited on, June 14, 2005, 5:41 PM GMT, by chinaman.
Old June 13, 2005, 05:15 PM
ODI Cricketer

No they dont!They are just selfish and are too much busy with there own business!!
Old June 13, 2005, 05:21 PM
Test Cricketer

from what i hear golam rahman is only 18 yrs old he has long time. nazimuddin has been performing awhile. he has played in u-19 and he also had a good NCL. he is more experience then golam rahman and farhad reza. i think the a-team is good. because we cannot sent our second string team to play against these county team they will get killed. that is why the national team players needed to be in this team. good to see shahadat in the team he deserves another chance. only thing i didnt like in this selection is making shariar nafees the captain.
Old June 13, 2005, 06:54 PM
BanglaCricket Multimedia

Quote:
Originally posted by r56hg
I think you (radicalsami moderator) misunderstood me. You said NCL is nothing but a joke and if our selectors believes the same way then we cound never ever be a strong cricket nation.
just to clarify... i wasnt criticizing your opinion, in fact i was supporting it. I am sorry if what I said gave a different impression.

Plus, just a request, dont refer to my cricket related posts by referring to me as a moderator.. Thanks.
Old June 13, 2005, 07:00 PM
ODI Cricketer

I don't think you can pick players based on how many runs they are scoring in domestic cricket.

Just look at Rob Key as a good example. He makes hundreds for fun for Kent, but isn't up to it at international level.

Most of the England batsman have poor records in domestic cricket, which proves domestic form is not the same as international form.
Old June 13, 2005, 07:29 PM
Test Cricketer

all that fuss about shahadat hossain. when he did get a chance to play against the big guns, he was smashed all over the ground. he went back home with his confidence and reputation ruined. days of golam rahman, farhad reza, shamsur rahman are not over. they have just started their career. let them play in domestic cricket for a few seasons (they still will be in their early 20s then), then make them play in A team until there's an opening in the national team. hurrying young players to national team only ruins potential talents. take several years to groom and nurture the young bloods and them send them to the real arena when they are ready.
Old June 13, 2005, 07:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Our domestic cricke is good enough to expose a player with potential, but it can't assure that he poses sound techniques or temparment to be successful in international stage. That's why selectors, I believe, go for u/19 cricketers more often since they are at least sound in techniques, if not in maturity.

I believe Reza and Himmel deserved to be tested against county selections, but unfortunately we can't afford any more humilations from those teams at this point (we may get humilated anyway, but need to do our best to avoid it). As I said in my other post, I don't see any harm in keep waiting them for couple of practice matches against Sri Lanka and Australia when those teams come to visit us in next March-April.

Also, selectors are rushing too many youngsters in international stage, they need to slow down now anyway.

Edited on, June 14, 2005, 12:56 AM GMT, by TheWatcher.
Old June 13, 2005, 08:44 PM
First Class Cricketer

TheWatcher

You have some good point and I do agree about your last post. We should not through Himel or Reza to a really hard English condition rite now. Better solution is they should be familier about international cricket playing some similar condition like India, pakistan or Srilanka. We don't wanna loss those guys from our cricket.
Old June 13, 2005, 09:06 PM
Street Cricketer

I am new member here, but visit this site regularly. i really enjoy the debate. So about this thead different members post different opinoin and thats are really constructive (it would be better if our Selectors can read this opinion). I belive to improve our cricket, we must need a strong domestic cricket.
Old June 13, 2005, 09:35 PM
ODI Cricketer

new players should atleast spend few seasons in the domestic league before even they think about getting selected for any national side.australians are the perfect example of that.
Old June 14, 2005, 04:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Hummm, now I am confused- Talha and Munir are pretty ordinary even in NCL, both played four matches for Dhaka last season and got 11 and 7 wickets respectively. There are almost a dozen of cricketers who got more wickets than those two playing four or fewer matches.

Two pacers- Alamgir Kabir and Mohammad Shahzada missed the A team tour to make place for those two, both has better stats (wickets, average, striking rate) than Talha or Munir, in the last NCL and through out their whole first class careers. They may not still be good enough for international cricket, but I am very curious to know what makes Talha and Munir better than them.

Averages
Alamgir
Shahzada
Talha
Munir

Edited on, June 14, 2005, 10:34 AM GMT, by TheWatcher.
Old June 14, 2005, 04:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Look at the scorcards of the Duleep trophy matches where Talha, Munir, and Shahazada played for BCB XI.

Alamgir Kabir is always good in domestic curcit but his performance in international cricket was not enogh to keep his place in 15.

Given the difference between the standard of our domestic and international cricket, it is not easy for our selectors to who would be the best for international cricket among the good performers of the domestic cricket.

Scoring runs or getting wickets in domestic cricket should not be the only thing to be considered in selection, the quality should count too!!

I am not telling Munir/Talha is better bowler than Shahazada/Kabir becaue I have not seen them enough. Selectors have seen them more than us and we compare players based on the scorecards.

Edited on, June 14, 2005, 9:23 AM GMT, by sports_fan_bd.
Old June 14, 2005, 10:01 AM
First Class Cricketer

"Scoring runs or getting wickets in domestic cricket should not be the only thing to be considered in selection, the quality should count too!!" Ok I do agree with sports_fan_bd , But what criteria fulfills for Munir to be a member for our National team, He is a 3rd Class performen in National league, and I do not wanna mention about his performence in test, He already played 3 test and didn't get any wickets.