facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 25, 2005, 04:50 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default External Item: Thank you, India: Ashraful

PUNE, JUNE 23: Bangladesh's tour of India earlier this year changed Mohammad Ashraful’s attitude and his approach to batting. Speaking to The Indian Express from Manchester, Ashraful reveled that playing in the Duleep Trophy helped him improve his game enormously.

“The Duleep Trophy helped us a lot. It enabled me to concentrate on a lot of aspects as far as my batting was concerned. It was a domestic league and I had a lot of time to make the necessary improvements in my batting style,” he says. Ashraful believes that his batting has become more aggressive due to three reasons: the confidence he gained during his stay in India, the huge expectations back home and, most importantly, his long chat with Indian skipper Sourav Ganguly this year.

“Ganguly’s advice really helped me. He told me that my kind of player was very rare, especially for Bangladesh. He asked me to be more consistent, to realise that I have a responsibility towards my team. He also asked me to keep looking to score runs all the time and never to let go of my aggression,” Ashraful reveals.

Though he agrees that Bangladesh failed to perform well in the Duleep Trophy, there were a lot of important things the team got to learn. “Playing on that Nagpur pitch was a revelation. Those kind of pitches really help in facing bowlers like (Glen) McGrath, (Brett) Lee and (Steve) Harmison,” Ashraful says.

“I somehow feel confident while playing against the bigger teams now. There is nothing to lose. Once again, I will look forward to come up with a good performance against Australia. It’s just about getting a good start,” he says. Ashraful revealed the importance of coach Dav Whatmore’s advice that brought a huge change in his consistency. “I will not be gifting my wicket anymore. The important thing will now be to stick around and make the bowlers fight for my wicket.” The 20-year-old hopes that Bangladesh tours India regularly for tournaments like the Duleep Trophy. “Now we have the national league back home but the domestic circuit in India is comparatively very large. The competition is good and more importantly, you can feel at home,” he says.

Source: Indianexpress >>

Old June 25, 2005, 05:12 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

The fact that Ganguli took considerable amount of his own time to sit and chat with Ashraful and give him his advice just shows that he has a big heart and he genuinely cares. About getting benefitted from taking part in the Indian first class cricket, I hope BCB is listening. We should look to send a team every year to the Dileep trophy because it can only do us good.
Old June 25, 2005, 05:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Yep, the Tiges should send a team to the Duleep Trophy every year.

The players need more first class exposure ...

Ian Whitchurch
Old June 25, 2005, 06:01 PM
Street Cricketer

We have 3 World Champ neighbors.. We have lot to learn from them..

Old June 25, 2005, 06:42 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

It was eaiser for him to talk to Ganguly cause Ganguly was capt of the east zone and Ash was Capt of the BCB XI.

There's a reason why Sourav has been the most successful Capt for India in quite sometime.

Old June 25, 2005, 07:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Also, BENGALI helped.
Old June 25, 2005, 07:21 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

& for Ganguly
Old June 25, 2005, 08:51 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

ganguly earned some points for that one

:P
Old June 25, 2005, 09:52 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿

Common sense dictates that we have a tour with India/Pakistan/Sri Lanka every year. I'm glad we had some short trips recently and hope to see that on an annual basis. Here's the kicker, why didn't we do this from the early 90's ? I remember being a young kid and reading about it and thinking why are we not setting up tours for the (then) national team to the first class tournaments in India/Pakistan or having the A team from the three neighbors come in for 3/4 day matches. Heck, why didn't we have a 2/3 day tournament set up in Dhaka alongside the Dhaka League ?

We finally have most of those in place in a smaller extent and I am happy with the beginning. We just need to be more consistent from now on.
Old June 25, 2005, 09:59 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

Ganguly does care for upcoming youngsters, and that is proven bigtime after he has brought together an Indian time that is now capable of challenging any team of any level in the world (ofcourse, unable to win the ultimate). Ganguly's class is a tremendous of quality of him, and it feels awesome that our boys are being benefited by that.
Old June 25, 2005, 10:00 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default Ponting issues warning to Ashraful

Quote:
Ponting said on form, Ashraful could be headed for the man of the series award, but doubted whether the pint-sized strokemaker could continue his dazzling run by chasing such audacious shots.
AdvertisementAdvertisement

"I think he's riding his luck a lot at the moment to tell the truth," Ponting said.

"He's got lots of things and lots of shots going through his mind as the bowler's running in - you can tell that.

"He's playing pull shots off balls that are just short of a length and today he got away with two that went over the keeper's head, and we had him caught off a no-ball backing away outside leg (stump).

Ponting said not even the best players could survive so recklessly for too long.

"The longer you stay in international cricket you work out that that just doesn't work for you, you have to be a bit more selective than that," he said.

"He's playing well at the moment. I watched a lot of his innings against England the other day and that was an unbelievable knock, so he's got things going his way at the moment, but I don't think it will last that long."
more >>