facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 25, 2005, 10:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Default External Item: Ponting issues warning to Ashraful

Ponting said on form, Ashraful could be headed for the man of the series award, but doubted whether the pint-sized strokemaker could continue his dazzling run by chasing such audacious shots.

"I think he's riding his luck a lot at the moment to tell the truth," Ponting said.

"He's got lots of things and lots of shots going through his mind as the bowler's running in - you can tell that."

"He's playing pull shots off balls that are just short of a length and today he got away with two that went over the keeper's head, and we had him caught off a no-ball backing away outside leg (stump)."

Ponting said not even the best players could survive so recklessly for too long.

"The longer you stay in international cricket you work out that that just doesn't work for you, you have to be a bit more selective than that," he said.

"He's playing well at the moment. I watched a lot of his innings against England the other day and that was an unbelievable knock, so he's got things going his way at the moment, but I don't think it will last that long."

Even Bangladesh captain Habibul Bashar admitted he could not get his protege to calm down.

"He's capable of playing all the shots," Bashar said.

"I'm trying to stop him, but he's been playing well so there's no point telling him not to play those shots as long as he becomes successful".

Full Report

Edited on, June 26, 2005, 4:39 AM GMT, by TheWatcher.

Old June 25, 2005, 10:29 PM
Cricket Legend

please copy and paste the article here..the link asks to register in their website..thanks
Old June 25, 2005, 10:31 PM
Cricket Legend

I agree little bit, Ashraful should not be too overconfidence. On the other hand, this is nothing but mental pressure by Ponting. :duh:
Old June 25, 2005, 10:32 PM
Cricket Legend

until the moments arrive, let him have his fun. its good for us, our team and cricket.
Old June 25, 2005, 10:36 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shahadat, Zunaid

I say, [] Ponting, u r just jelous and can't get over the humiliation he put u guys through last saturday.
Sure, Ash needs to be a lot more selective, but hey, he's only 20, and remember Tendulkar when he was 20? Look at the way he plays now, u'll know what i mean

Edited on, June 26, 2005, 4:02 AM GMT, by Tintin.
Reason: Language
Old June 25, 2005, 10:37 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

the things is, for the past few years ash has been trying to play carefully. it doesn't bring him much successes. but the way he played in the first few overs in this match shouldn't be the way either. he needs to find the balance, which he eventually will.
Old June 25, 2005, 10:54 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Saeed Anwar

Quote:
Originally posted by habfreak
I say, [] Ponting, u r just jelous and can't get over the humiliation he put u guys through last saturday.
Sure, Ash needs to be a lot more selective, but hey, he's only 20, and remember Tendulkar when he was 20? Look at the way he plays now, u'll know what i mean
Please behave, this type of insult on public forums just not acceptable. Pointing gave some valuable advice; he is too great of a player of a great team to be jealous of tiny Ashraful.

Edited on, June 26, 2005, 4:03 AM GMT, by Tintin.
Reason: Edited habfreak's post
Old June 25, 2005, 10:59 PM
ODI Cricketer

Ashraful is a naturally attacking player. He thrives on playing audacious shots. Asking him to curb his natural instinct will do him no good.
Ponting's words are in fact a good advice to our young hero. But at the moment he should be allowed to do what he is doing. If luck is in his side- so be it! In the match before the last the ball fell on the bell of his stumps and bumped off harmlessly. He survived! How often do we see that? Never. In the last match he got a reprive of a no-ball. May be he is kind of untouchable in this series! If he can get another hundred or a couple of fifties in the remaining two matches- surely he will get the MOS award. So Ash should have a go at it.

Edited on, June 26, 2005, 4:00 AM GMT, by Warlock.
Old June 25, 2005, 11:09 PM

I donít see anything wrong that Ponting said, rather very wise and valid advise. As for Ashraful, he started to get his confidence and form back and somehow his too aggressive play seems helping him to regain his confidence and form. So as long as it's help him, he should go with his way hope he find and learn something from there.

The way Bangladesh is loosing against Australia and England, there is not point to ask Ashraful to hold his horse now.
Old June 25, 2005, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by habfreak

Edited on, June 26, 2005, 4:02 AM GMT, by Tintin.
Reason: Language
[Mod: additional note: Too many people are being too easy with expletives. This is seriously dragging down the forum. For everyone. Please help us maintain this forum well]
Old June 25, 2005, 11:14 PM
Test Cricketer

Good advice by Ponting but Ashraful should just keep doing his thing as long as its working.
Old June 25, 2005, 11:40 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell

Pointing is right but like Bashar said how can you ask him to stop he keeps on producing runs. Right now he's in form, and luck is favouring him otherwise those shots would get him out. I say for now let him play and savour his luck.
Old June 25, 2005, 11:47 PM
First Class Cricketer

Ponting talks too much...... he just wants to make some news that newspaper can publish.... last week he saying someting about Pietersen... And everybody thinks these are valuable stuffs... These are basically publicity stints and media games... It is a part of Australian culture
Old June 26, 2005, 12:05 AM
ODI Cricketer

lol, I am feeling that Ponting is worried, if Ashraful plays like this, they might again lose to Bangladesh. I will say let Ashraful play his innings as he likes.
Old June 26, 2005, 12:10 AM
Test Cricketer

I agree with everyone : Ashraful should continue with what he does best- aggressively getting runs. But yesterday he actually applied what he learnt from England match, he actually calmed down a lot against spinners. Alas, that was his downfall.
Old June 26, 2005, 12:49 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

I think Ashraful should not listen to anybody except his head; and in his head, he should ask himself what would Dav Whatmore have said if he were 'here'?
Old June 26, 2005, 12:58 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ashrafooooooool

yea, i don't think he should listen to anybody. let him play his game.. why ppl want to stop him??? he's doing well, let him go...
Old June 26, 2005, 01:09 AM
Street Cricketer

There will be always an exceptional case and Asraful is one of them. One day deshi batsmans will want to be like him.. He is our icon for cricket. Like Afridi and Tendulkar are for Pakistan and India..
Ash is definately a world class cricketer and he will unfold himself as he plays more cricket. So Ponting follow his progress and have Lee bowl more to ASh so that BD can score more runs from his over.

Old June 26, 2005, 01:11 AM
ODI Cricketer

being agressive and being reckless is two different things.......... Ashraful can be as agressive as he wants but he doesnot have the luxury to be reckless
Old June 26, 2005, 02:10 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

He looked scary to me so just imagine how Lee felt. i believe he can be a fearful batsman if he continues the way he is now. Cricket is all about confidence. Keep it up Ash!
Old June 26, 2005, 02:13 AM
Test Cricketer

Why trying to stop him , let him play his game . Atleast he gets a fifty plus , not like the others you know .
Old June 26, 2005, 02:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

It is true that ASH is playing too many shots and he needs to be a bit more selective.....

But I have something to say........BD fans must remember all of Ashrafuls 50+ innings.......just look at the way how he played those innings........all of them were attacking innings........so ASHRAFUL PLAYS HIS BEST WHEN HE ATTACKS..........so he must not stop attacking the bowlers..........but yes, surely he needs to be selective.....he needs to continue playing the way he played at cardiff......not the way of the last two matches..................But must not stop attacking........otherwise he will again go to his past days.........

so, ASH keep playing aggressive cricket with mix of responsibility for the team.

Edited on, June 26, 2005, 7:54 AM GMT, by yaseer.

Edited on, June 26, 2005, 7:55 AM GMT, by yaseer.
Old June 26, 2005, 02:54 AM
Club Cricketer

Did Ponting watch the movie 'Lagan'?
He with two ducks in row is in trouble. He can't even dream of a man of the match feat. Did you watch how much showmanship Ponting did knowing that he was plumb in front of his sticks- stepping wide or jumping out of the crease!!
So he at least can not try to criticise our hero this time.
I wish Ash did not read his comments and keeping on making his mind to hammer Harmison and Collinwood again today.
Old June 26, 2005, 03:58 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Saeed Anwar

Quote:
Originally posted by mafizraju
being agressive and being reckless is two different things.......... Ashraful can be as agressive as he wants but he doesnot have the luxury to be reckless
great comment.
Old June 26, 2005, 04:06 AM
Test Cricketer

O this is just a mental ploy by Ponting, Aussies are known for this. To be totally honest I'd do the same thing if I was Ponting.

I would urge Ashraful to coninue his merry ways. That is his natural way. He'll not be successful in defense for too long.