facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 26, 2005, 04:21 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default No need to make Mirpur a pace-bowler friendly wicket

Just seen the highlights of Bangladesh batting yesterday - our batsman, especially from number seven to number ten (Mashud, Rana, Rafique, Mashrafee) can't even play spin bowling - how can we expect them to play pace bowlers of England and Australia?

And it is said on the tv commentary that we have some quality spinners back home in Bangladesh - well we may have a vast number of left arm spinners that are coming out in the domestic circuit of Bangladesh, but 'quality' is a different matter altogether.

Shahriar Nafees: He has been an opener for most of his cricket playing life (only 5 years of playing age-group cricket), so he may not be good in playing spin.

Habibul Bashar: For majority of his International career, he has been a good player against fast bowlers with his famous pull shot, so he has not been facing spin bowlers for a long long time - in that sense, he's not good player of spin.

Aftab Ahmed: His usual normal position is number three, also he's a product of the age-group level, so like Shahriar Nafees, he has not played against too many spinners in domestic circuit of Bangladesh, so he's also probably not good player of spin.

But what about the rest of the batsman from down the order?

If I'm not mistaken, Pilot has a few thousand runs in domestic cricket on turning wickets against so called 'quality' spinners of Bangladesh - he has also been playing both International and domestic cricket for more than 10 years.

Monjurul Islam Rana does not have the technique to play fast bowling, but he has shown some temperament in staying at the wicket over the years - where has that temperament gone? If we consider that it was his first match, so he may be out of touch just sitting in the sidelines all this time, and also not having match practice for quite a long time since his name was announced in BD national ODI squad - then may be we can pardon him.

But that does not go for either Mashrafee Bin Murtoza or Mohammad Rafique - both of them have been in match-practice since the start of the test series.

Besides, Rafique is known to be a good player of spin - he also has vast number of years' experience under him.

Also, Mashrafee has scored a few fifties in the just concluded season for Bangladesh in the domestic circle - whatever happened to that? Do we have to consider his fifties to be just 'fluke'?

No wonder we're number eleven in ODI championship table - even behind Kenya.

Old June 26, 2005, 04:28 AM
Test Cricketer

That's rubbish . We have have make that a bouncy cricket . Bangladesh was playing pace bowlers very well earlier their innings . Lack of practicing spin bowling cost us a bad innings . We have to make Mirpur is fast bowling pitch . Mind you all the great bowlers in the world are the pace bowlers .
1) Mc Grath
2)Brett Lee
3)Chaminda Vass
6)Jason Gillespie

So , We were playing with the nation who got 3 best bowler already in their trot . Don't forget that also "Andrew Symonds" was awarded the player of the year at 2004 in Australia .
Old June 26, 2005, 07:09 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by fwullah
Just seen the highlights of Bangladesh batting yesterday -
Could you PLEASE post the link of the highlight file?
Old June 26, 2005, 08:53 AM
ODI Cricketer

good point Zephaniah............. ne ways........ The point is if the MIrpur is going to be bouncy then we still have number of pitches aroud the country which for surely will be slow, low and turning
Old June 26, 2005, 09:11 AM
Banned

How fast and easily we change our mind...and keep on changing.
Old June 26, 2005, 09:18 AM
Cricket Legend

fwullah, I thought I didn't know much about cricket, but even I don't make as many inane comments as you do. You were chosen as a moderator, so I'm guessing your knowledge of cricket had something to do with it. All the other mods and admins seem pretty knowledgable. Too bad I can't say the same for you.
Old June 26, 2005, 09:22 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally posted by Dhurr
You were chosen as a moderator, so I'm guessing your knowledge of cricket had something to do with it.
No she got it due to quota system.

On serious note. I strongly disagree. She always have a diffferent point of view. Thats makes it more interesting. I love this diversity of view points.
Old June 26, 2005, 09:29 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Alastair Cook

ok , so stop building learning facilities because you failed to score?
Old June 26, 2005, 09:29 AM
Cricket Legend

I don't wanna drag this too far, but I read both the threads she made today, and they don't make much sense. We should have played better because Dav's dad is sick? We shouldn't have a pace-friendly wicket in Mirpur because, amongst other reasons, Habibul "has not been facing spin bowlers for a long long time - in that sense, he's not good player of spin"? This seems like the kinda analysis the guy from Prothom Alo would do. I've seen noobs getting bashed for making threads that are far less inane. So when a mod does it, it's ok? anyways, that's just my two cents. Don't take it too personally, fwullah. Have fun posting.
Old June 26, 2005, 01:53 PM
BC Editorial Team

Noobs don't get bashed for making idiotic assertions. Newbies get _called_out_ when the make unusual assertions without attempting to explain their thinking behind it. You may not agree with Fwullahs opinion (re dav and wicket). I know I don't. But at least she makes an honest attempt to give a cogent explanation to support her assertions.

To illustrate my point, imagine, if she'd just put in a one liner "players should play better cuz Dav's dad" or "I like spinner pitches for Mirpur" w/o any rationale. That's the kind of post that ppl - and not just mods - grumble about.
Old June 26, 2005, 01:56 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Saeed Anwar

Hey, there is a simple solution, make some fast and bouncy wicket and make some turning/spinning wicket.
Old June 26, 2005, 04:04 PM
First Class Cricketer

fwullah,

u made some good points, but in the balance, we do need that bouncy wickets... in the long run, that will be much helpful..

sometimes, u give away wickets just because of overconfidence, the lap shot Mashud played was example of that.. he is not that bad actually against the spinners..

by the way, do u remember Eddie Hemmings.. he won a test match against India in lords 1990.. indians do not play spinners bad.. in fact, he also contributed to India's defaet in 87 world cup final..

i was listening to radio..their comment on Rana's dismissal.."it could have embarrsed club cricketer.."

by the way, we always had problems against quality spinners.. pushing ball to long off/long on seems so easy.. but it is not.. will give one example, i do not know how many here will remember that..

1988, asia cup in dhaka, miandad and shoeb was batting against srilanka.. shoeb's drive was going to fielder.. and miandad's push was going to long off/on... (lanka won the match by the way, miandad retired.. we saw one of the biggest six in dhaka stadium by Manzoor Elahi..)
Old June 26, 2005, 04:05 PM
First Class Cricketer

fwullah,

world semifinal i meant to say in the last post....
gooch just sweeped england to victory..
Old June 26, 2005, 04:41 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by ReckmyBack
Mind you all the great bowlers in the world are the pace bowlers .
what r u smoking?

2 highest wicket takers in test match cricket:

1) Shane Warne
2) Muttiah Muralitharan

then comes: 3) Anil Kumble and 4) Harbajhan Singh

not to mention the dominance of part-time spinners on the Bangladeshi batsmen:

Sachin Tendulkar -- 4 wicket haul against Bangladesh in the recently completed tour.

Andrew Symonds -- 5 wicket haul.

Bottom line -- we need both types of wickets and need to bat well.

Edited on, June 26, 2005, 9:44 PM GMT, by left-hander.

Old June 26, 2005, 04:52 PM
First Class Cricketer

left hander,

there are more examples where a quality or non-quality pacers killed us.. just from the memory..

1. omor gul in pakistan..
2. bond in NZ
3. pathan just killed us in Dhaka..what afigure he had...
4. lee in one one day in austrlia again just knocked us over
5. not to mention all the english pacers this tour...

Old June 26, 2005, 05:06 PM
Cricket Legend

bangladesh have always been traditionally weak against spin. even though feisal have given some instances of bd failure against pace, but i think it is more glaring against spin. giles is bowling well but bd players havent played him well. indian/pak player would have used their feet better but then again those players are higher quality than of bd.

also bd was pathetic against symonds. even though i think he chucks (like afridi), bd should still do better than what they have done. from what i have seen so far ash is the best player of spin but he was out early today.

Old June 26, 2005, 05:15 PM
First Class Cricketer

yes, in fact we can be bad against both..

we lost a test match in ctg because of Grant Flower's bowling!!! Even he was embarassed..!
Old June 26, 2005, 05:26 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Easy soultion:

Make bouncy wicket at Mirpur and give back BNS to cricket again and make spinning wickets there.

Send football to somewhere else, even sending them outside Dhaka isn't a bad option.
Old June 26, 2005, 05:51 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
Easy soultion:

Make bouncy wicket at Mirpur and give back BNS to cricket again and make spinning wickets there.

Send football to somewhere else, even sending them outside Dhaka isn't a bad option.
I think they will make Fast and bouncy wickets in Mirpur and spinning track in Chittagong. For some unknown reason Chittagong pitch always seems to be more spin friendly. You need to encourage fast bowlers too to do well in domestic cricket and try out new things.
Old June 26, 2005, 09:08 PM
Test Cricketer

I agree with left-hander on all counts However, I would like to add that, in test cricket, spinners tend to bowl more overs. We need to be able to play through those long, accurate and boring sessions of spin bowling. BD batsmen seem to get impatient when either kinds of bowling is preventing them from getting runs. They then resort to ill advised hooks against the pace and sweep against the spinners.

Bottom line is we need both kinds of pitches. However, it is harder to make and maintain a bouncy pitch in the prevalent weather in Bangladesh. Why not have atleast one?
Old June 26, 2005, 09:19 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by left-hander
Quote:
Originally posted by ReckmyBack
Mind you all the great bowlers in the world are the pace bowlers .
what r u smoking?

2 highest wicket takers in test match cricket:

1) Shane Warne
2) Muttiah Muralitharan

then comes: 3) Anil Kumble and 4) Harbajhan Singh

not to mention the dominance of part-time spinners on the Bangladeshi batsmen:

Sachin Tendulkar -- 4 wicket haul against Bangladesh in the recently completed tour.

Andrew Symonds -- 5 wicket haul.

Bottom line -- we need both types of wickets and need to bat well.

I think you have to see the ICC ranking mate .

1) Mc grath
2) Brett Lee
3) Chaminda Vass

It's always been surveyed on Strike rate , not the wickets you know . Bradman got the higest avg but he doesn't have that mush run , what Tendulkar gonna have . Strike rate is important .

Old June 27, 2005, 07:25 AM
Test Cricketer

Hmm...... there are lots of views and replies in this thread. Well...fwullah has her opinion and we all should respect her while making any reply. We really shouldnt guess, about her knowledge in cricket. She has quesitoned about the bouncy pitch in Mirpur. Well.. she may also be right in her point of view. In fact.. I think.. playing against spin is much harder than playing against pace. In spin.. one really have to play each and everyball sensibly and should be technically well. Agianst pace.. one can get away with odd balls where he can just nudge it and get some runs. But.. surely.. spin and pace.. are two different kind of bowling and each have great players inthe world. So.. the question should not come as which one is more difficult.

but. I personally support Mirpur pitch as a bouncy one. Having bounce.. is also infact quite handy for spinners and it makes like much more difficult for batsmen to play spin at a bouncy pitch. So.. It should actually force BD players to work harder to play both pace and spin on this track. , which should be benficial to our players in the longer run.

Onyl thing concerns me.......... when will BD get the chance to play at Mirpur?.. it would be realy bad .. if the organisors arrange the first match at Mirpur stadium against some quality test team. That will be disasterous!.. Bd players atleast play one years of domestic games at mirpur before playing against a test team.
Old June 27, 2005, 07:33 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
Easy soultion:

Agrred 100%. Football is a fruitless game for Bangladesh and spending even 1 taka is a waste. They cried so much that football lost popularity because football went out from BNS. But. if you see.. how many spectators comming even Abahoni-Mohammedan Match, teh BFF official should feel ashamed about themselves. They should play in Kamlapur Stadium or elsewhere. And BNS should also come back to cricket. There should be atleast 4 international stadiums at Dhaka only. From now on.. 99% of the fund and decision should go in favour of cricket. Rest of the games should share rest 1% and even.. that is also too much to be done considering their standard and performance in the world level.
There should be .only. Cricket cricket cricket.....
Old June 27, 2005, 07:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Dont only think about whether our batsman play can play spin or pace better.........

The fact is that do we have quality pacers to bowl out a opposition in bouncy wickets??

We have two spinners Rafique and Enamul who can take wickets in spinning tracks......

Just think about our bowling strenght, where the strenght lise......our batsmen need to play well every bowler to be successful

Noway we can make bouncy wicket in Mirpur......
Old June 27, 2005, 07:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Bangladesh is vulnerable against "good" swing, pace, and spin.