facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 4, 2003, 01:22 PM
Banned

Default India\'s Pace Club ?

Reports indicate to something like that in nature. Is this true ?

Can the Indian Bowling be now considered as pace-centric, and for that matter a good one ?

Its great that India made it into the finals, but in my opinion that says nothing. The only statement coming out of the WC is that Australia is the Supreme Champion.

Under slightly different circumstances, 1-2 other teams would have been playing in the final (not to belittle India's achievement, by any breath). I wonder how they will play on "true" South African pitches.

Old April 4, 2003, 03:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Well, more like medium pace club really.

What's "true" SA pitches?
Old April 4, 2003, 09:46 PM
Cricket Legend

there r fewer genuine pace clubs than there were a decade ago.
While in the 90's we had waqar/wasim, ambrose/walsh/bishop, donald/pollock, mcgrath/mcdermott/reifel,

as of today, only the aussie pacers can be compared to them. there is no way u can compare the indian pacers or for that matter any other pace duo or trio to the aussies today.
Old April 5, 2003, 03:21 AM
ODI Cricketer

Although it seems that India's pace attack is improving and it is the best-ever pace attack they have but the Aussie pace attack is atleast 10 times better. Even Kenya scored 225 against this attack even when our bowlers restriceted them to 217. Australia scored 359 against them in the final. If this attack were great, they should have restricetd AUS to under 250.
Old April 5, 2003, 12:34 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Shahid I think Kenya scored 217 is because the Kenyan batsman were under pressure to win against us.

Whereas when they played against India, they had no such pressure.

So, that is not a factor at all.
Old April 7, 2003, 11:23 AM
ODI Cricketer

fwullah, Kenya scored 347 when they played against us the first time. Even Holland scored 314 against Namibia when they played against them the first time. Even if Kenya were under pressure, which they were, they should have scored atleast 250 i think. It was just some great bowling from BD which restricted them and not the pressure from the Kenyans.
Old April 7, 2003, 12:05 PM
Banned

Arnab, I was led to believe that the SA pitches this time around were extremely well manicured, and tailored for oodles of runs (its the wc, ain't it ?).

Such conditions are just perfect for Indian batsmen, and their slow-mo bowling.

Did I read somewhere, Athar Ali was saying something about the pitches starting off with a thunder, but quickly setting into a timid mouse !!
Old April 7, 2003, 12:14 PM
Cricket Legend

i wonder whether india wud have beaten pakistan or sri lanka on pitches more favorable to bowling.

They wud have lost against England most probably if the batted second.

In this world cup the only good indian performances against test sides were the batting against pakistan and sri lanka and the bowling against nz and sri lanka.

Old April 7, 2003, 12:37 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Shahid Kenya scored over 300 runs on their own home turf in Kenya.

My opinion is that back at that time during 97-98, both Bangladesh and Kenya had better batting than bowling. Recently, Kenya's batting has also gone down in form - but you will get this proof only when Kenya is playing against other test sides; although it may seem that Tikolo and Odumbe are the same batsman as they were before, but notice that now a days Tikolo bats at number 4/5 and Odumbe bats at number 6 - now why is that? Tikolo used to bat at 3 and Odumbe used to bat at 4 (back in 97-98 period).

In my opinion it is because their form has somewhat dropped, and hence the inclusion of Brijal Patel into the Kenyan side, Odoyo's promotion in the batting order (if you'd look closely you'll notice that Odoyo's batting is somewhat like the Tikolo of the past).

But fortunately for them, their tactics of Tikolo demoting one position down the order and Odumbe's demotion to number 6 from number 4 had worked for them.