facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Support

Support Help & Support

Old January 16, 2006, 09:36 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা
Default Toolbar in Explorer

My wife's laptop has been taken over by a search virus and my explorer has been taken over by a 'friendly and resourceful' toolbar.

I would love to remove it by running a Regedit but guess what - it's not working. YAY. Any ideas how to work around it ? Having McAfee/Norton would have made this much simpler.

The error message when I try to run Regedit -
C:/Windows\system32\regedit.com (.com?)
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.

By the way, my PC doesn't even have the system32 folder.
Old January 17, 2006, 12:12 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: আশরাফুল

Manual process:

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del
>>Choose the program which is newly installed and End task it.
>>Go to windows folder. Right click. Arrange icons by date.
>>Choose the files newly(bad ones) copied and delete them.
>>Then go to temporary internet files, Temp, Downloaded program files, Cookies, History folders and empty them. (Delete every thing)
>>Then go to Control panel and use add/remove programs and try to uninstall the program. Go to program files and find the folder for the program. Delete it.

I hope this will work. Depends on your computer's operating system.

Auto process:

>>Use anti virus program. Success guaranteed.
>>Use Uninstaller program. Success is possible.
Old January 17, 2006, 12:52 PM

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

There are many processes that restarts itself if you try to kill it using task manager. so that might not work.

here is how I would try it:

if you are using windows XP, just go back to a date where the pc was good using 'Restore'.

if that does not work, use 'SpyBot S&D' and see if that works.

when that fails, detect the file where it is, run windows using the windows cd (like a dos prompt) and delete that file. you can try to delete the file manually after using task manager as said by TM, but if it restarts itself that won't work.

this is kind of trivial, go to view and if the toolbar is there, uncheck it. at least you won't see it.
Old January 17, 2006, 01:02 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

First do an online virus check (many sites offer it) then run SpyBot Search and Distroy (make sure you update it latest first).
Old January 18, 2006, 11:55 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

the toolbar is gone. However, i still have the problem with the auto search. Say I am using yahoo or google, do a search. results comes in. I click on the links, half the time it'll bring up unwanted search pages.

My wife's has the same issue. Except, she gets a Morwill search page and I was able to get solutions online for that worm/spy virus.
Old January 19, 2006, 12:39 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

boro bhai, U2U maren ekta, nishidhdho pothe jete hobe mone hochhe....
Old January 19, 2006, 03:23 AM
Test Cricketer

I was so frustrated by spyware for which norton and others were ineffective. than I tried Spyware Nuker. It allowed a free scan, which revealed a bunch of registry infections. I bought it for $50.00 and never had a problem since. I bought it for my laptop too. Instead of Norton I use the free AVG for homes. the combo of AVG and Spyware Nuker seemed to end any more of what you are talking about.

you can easily google both of those.

spyware nuker
avg free

good luck.
Old January 19, 2006, 04:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Looks like your browser has been hijacked. It happened to my old pc too and this is the easiest and surest way of cleaning it. I assume you have already ran the spyware destroying engines. Now get this small tool "Hijackthis":

http://download.softpedia.com/softwa...hijackthis.zip

Run a scan and within seconds you will see the results. Go through the list and find the entries that match the browser's hijacker engine. Check them and remove. You are done.

Close your browser and reopen it. If you face any problem with it, please do ask.
Old January 19, 2006, 07:17 PM
Cricket Legend

I have been using lavasoft Adaware for more than 2 yr.s now and it is really effective. It catches stuff that Norton leaves off sometimes.

Not just Tehsin, anyone who has not tried it, have a go. It has a free version, but that is powerful enough for home users. It will catch browser hijack attempts too.

VladMamu, you have wasted $50.

Go to lavasoftusa.com to get a copy. They have been applauded by PC magazine

Edited on, January 20, 2006, 12:18 AM GMT, by Sauron.
Old January 19, 2006, 10:51 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Thank you all. I will try out all the free routes first.

Raj bhai, apnar shathe weekend e kotha hobey. Nishchoi khub shukhe aachen. Kharan, amar shalikarey deshe ekta call dimu. Aami nije jokhon bandha, r karo shukh shoijjo hoitasena.
Old January 20, 2006, 06:58 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron

VladMamu, you have wasted $50.

Go to lavasoftusa.com to get a copy. They have been applauded by PC magazine

Edited on, January 20, 2006, 12:18 AM GMT, by Sauron.
Ok, I will. Mine, however, has upgrade sofware of new viruses every time I boot up almost. However, this was only good for one year. I actually wasted $100, because both my computers got infected and I bought both of them. However, I friend of mine told me he has four free ones. He said he has no conflict having four of them. So I will download yours, scan it first with it, and than see if anything is missed with mine. That is what I did with about four others and it seemed to always miss a whole bunch of them. Simply put none of them removed all the crap I had, such especially this annoying tool bar with links to adult stuff on it, which if I deleted came back every re-boot. This one seemed the best and finally rid it of the adult toolbar. Nevertheless, I am grateful for anything FREE, and will mesure it's effectiveness agaist spyware nuker and AVG. Thanks for the Info. I hope it works, $100 is a lot of money for a couple in University, and one year will be up in a few months.
Old January 20, 2006, 11:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by VladMamu
Mine, however, has upgrade sofware of new viruses every time I boot up almost. ...
Well, let me clarify - You will need something that has auto-update on latest virus definitions (similar to Norton AV) and those things will always cost you around $50 for a year's worth of updates.

But I have personally found that the Antivirus Softwares are not foolproof with browser hijack attempts and generally pathetic with spyware (cookies, registry entries etc).

Using only lavasoft Adaware will not get you virus protection, but use it on top of your virus protection and you'll catch a lot of unsightly stuff that your Virus protection S/W leaves off.

To be absolutely (if that is possible) safe, you will need Anti-Virus, Firewall and Adaware. Unfortunately, of the first variety, there is no good free ones that I know. You can use Zone-Alarm free version for rudimentary firewall protection.

Price wise, if you buy the Norton Firewall/Anti-virus combo, that is around 70 bucks I think, and worth the money.

Sorry for blabbing on too much ... hope at least some of it is helpful.

Edited on, January 20, 2006, 4:51 PM GMT, by Sauron.
Old January 23, 2006, 02:48 AM
Test Cricketer

Souron. Thank you for your input. It's not blabbing, it's appreciated. By the way, AVG is free (the home edition at least) and it cought more than the norton, and daily upgrades are free too and included. I use a free virus protection, and you use a free spyware. Between us, maybe the two free ones will do the job. I will try yours one day when I have time. Mean while try AVG.

Again, it is all helpful.

cheers bro!
Old January 23, 2006, 07:23 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Hmm that's what happens if you go to dodgy websites...ahem

1. Install McAfee, it is the best antivirus and should eliminate the problem

2. If you're using a genuine XP OS, install 'Microsoft Antispyware'.. scan and destroy all spyware files.. it's also a very good browser guard to keep it running at start-up

3. If the auto-search problem only happens on IE then use firefox which is a much reliable and safe browser

Let me know the result
Old January 23, 2006, 07:47 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Hatebreed - dogdy websites ? Hmmm, I really need to check up on my wife then, I never touch her computer. HAHA ... Gotcha. By the way, you seem to be an expert in this field, ehehe.

You'd be happy to know (if not, that's ok too) that the problem is gone. After running hijackthis, I just had a go at all the useless items that showed up in the list. It worked like magic. Thank you guys.
Old January 23, 2006, 11:55 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

hehehe.. glad to know you fixed the problem.. You should still install Microsoft Antispyware (if you're using genuine XP).. it's very effective against browser hijackers and all-known spyware
Old March 21, 2006, 01:52 AM
Club Cricketer

Switch to firefox.