facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 10, 2006, 02:53 AM
Test Cricketer

Default The Big Picture

I guess we have to look at the big picture after another test series whitewash.

Our batsmen vs.
Murali,
Malinga,
Bandara,
and a wealth of experience

up against

Sri Lankan batsmen (Jayawar, Sanga, Dilshan) vs.
Rajib
Rasel
Rafique
Jnr

Do the math, and clearly we should lose.

However, its great that we easily avoided innings defeat in both cases. No more innings and 300 run defeats is nice for a change! Now we're trying to convert 6, 7 or 8 wicket losses to wins.

I think we've got some batsmen with whom we can work with (Rahim needs to be blooded once in a while, its what test teams do to sustain future battin line-up and back up injuries!). We've also found a class bowler in Rajib, and and left armer who can swing like mad and keep things tight in Rasel. Combined with Masrafe, I'd say the opposition need to do their homework before coming to the crease whatever the team.

Look at the bigger picture guys. We're supposed to put half our thoughts on the future, and the other half on the present. If you expected the Tigers to suddenly win a test match, well who were you fooling but yourself? This is not a defeatist mentality. Defeated people give up. I'm looking for the day when we will take australia to the 3rd final in a VB one-dayer.

Old March 10, 2006, 02:56 AM
Street Cricketer

blog
Old March 10, 2006, 12:56 PM
Test Cricketer

what the hell man? i write a perfectly good sensible reasonable post and you say 'blog'???
Old March 10, 2006, 01:01 PM
Cricket Sage

I think he meant.... as its such perfectly good sensible reasonable post that you should create your own blog.
Old March 10, 2006, 01:41 PM
Banned

This is by far the best post-match Topic discussed. Everybody should come here and contribute.

We need to continue to lose TESTS against top 5 teams by 5-10 wickets and not any worse.

One great thing that has happened - our bowling lineup no more has a gap. It is just 2-3 steps away from a TEST quality attack. The remaining 3 steps are -

1) keeping our 3 pacers and 2 spinners healthy
2) Continue to give experience to Rasel, Shahadat & Enamul
3) Expedite there learning curve by making them talk with class bowlers whenever opportunity allows

That brings us to the batsman. We still have a big gap there. A gap as big as 4 batsmen - 1/2 openers & 2 middle order batsmen. And remember, VAAS did not even play.

What to do with it -

1) Continue to coach the U-19 batsmen by good batting coaches
2) Bring in good foreign bowlers in the domestic circuit
3) A pre series batting consultant (there for 1 week) for the national team.

We should be good to go in another 5 years.
Old March 10, 2006, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Pundit
1) keeping our 3 pacers and 2 spinners healthy
but how? any suggestions?
Old March 10, 2006, 01:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

yes.....in this series.....after a long time......w had a chance in both the tests to put srilanka under serious pressure......just needed to bat well on the 2nd innings.....near future we did not even come close to make any impression..........there is deffinitly some sign of improvements

Our bowlers were consistent through out the series.....thats a good sign.....in past, we bowled well in patches......but here we all-out srilanka several time both in odis and tests
Old March 10, 2006, 01:59 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

We still need a quality off spinner.

Batting wise, we have found only 2 real batsmen, Ash and Bashar, so far. We still need to produce 4 more who will do as good as those 2. Aftab has the potential.

so we are currently short of 5 players to call ourself a competitive.
Old March 10, 2006, 02:03 PM
ODI Cricketer

ah well, Look forward to kenya i guess.
Old March 10, 2006, 02:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Quote:
Originally posted by Mahmood
We still need a quality off spinner.
r u talking about right-arm off spinner?

YASIN ARAFAT can be the asnwer.....he is currently the highest wicket taker in NCL.....

dont take this granted....i personally beleive to be considered in the team.....a player needs to perform in domestic league for two concecutive seasons.
Old March 10, 2006, 02:32 PM
ODI Cricketer

Listen all the pessimists of this Forum (Optimists may shut ur eyes & ears). Two years ago we could not even think of a test draw / victory .. .we were used to Innings Defeats. Today we dare to wish in this forum for Test Draws, ask questions like who will score the century in 2nd test etc ... I think Bangladesh is going in the right direction ... they need to play more and more matches in the international level.

As for fitness of players ... fitness is such a thing that needs to be developed from a very early age. Despite all my best wishes, I really cannot Bank on Mashrafee to be fit for prolonged period. I think the National Coaches should concentrate more on kids in the 14-18 age group for fitness.

Regarding Batsmen, I wonder how you people forget to recognise Khaled Masud and Rafique. I really think with more practice, both of them have the potential of improving themselves into better run-getters. Mushfiq Rahim did not perform at all but he has the talent ... despite his poor performance he should be continued in the National Team (Both versions) for at least 5/6 matches. Like I said before in this forum ... the sooner talented players get a few games under thier belt .. the better for Bangladesh Cricket. The only Mistake with Ashraful was dropping him out of the side after poorm performance in 2/3 games.
Old March 11, 2006, 03:02 AM
Test Cricketer

Out batting is definitely getting there. we've consistently scored 200+ thruout the series, adding 50 runs to what we usually score per innings. All the batsmen look in good touch, but obviously don't have the temperment to play test match cricket. Wasim Akram's diagnosis was playing more 4-day cricket. We've already seen what an improvement playing a lenthy 4-day domestic competition has made to our batting, so I guess the more the better, though I'm not sure our board has the funds to organise more competitive domestic cricket. Player's don't even get paid adequate salaries.

I hope Rajin Saleh gets two consecutive test caps against the aussies, becuase he's got the temperment and attitude of a test match player.
Old March 11, 2006, 04:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Rajin got the temperement but he lacks performance
Old March 11, 2006, 04:07 AM
Cricket Legend

WOW! got the marquee code to work

Edited on, March 11, 2006, 9:27 AM GMT, by Shark_fin.
Old March 11, 2006, 04:13 AM
Test Cricketer

They ALL lack performance!