facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 10, 2006, 03:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Default We have to Stick With Rahim

I am surprised to see many negative comments on Rahim based on his performance on the 2nd Test against Sri Lanka. WOW!! We indeed have some weird cricket judgment!!
Mushfiqur Rahim was called back into national side after a long gap since his debut in Lords. It was almost like another debut. How come we question the selection of a new player based on just one single test!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ashraful, Nafis, Aftab, Shahadat, Shahriar Nafees, Syed Rasel, Mashrafee – such a list can go on and on and guess what is common in this list!! All those players came into national side without sufficient first-class exposure and they are still in the team. How come we demand different selection standard for Rahim.

Giving Rahim more first-class exposure before recruiting him in the national side certainly would have been a better option. But the BOTTOM-LINE is we do not have such culture of developing players for international stage. This will be nice if we can that establish such a culture. But until then- we can not impose this culture on Rahim Only.

Players like Rahim will be called in to the National side without sufficient first-class exposure for different reasons. Firstly, this is sub-continental tradition. Look at India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka—they too call young players into the national team even without proper first-class exposure. Latest example is India’s Piyush Chawla Secondly; we do not have a high-standard domestic structure. Remember all those NCL top performers who did not get a call in to the national side and we all supported those decisions saying standard of our domestic cricket is not good enough. To some extent, Rahim got better exposure than many of out national team players had when they was selected for the team.

May be we did a wrong thing by calling Rahim in the test level without allowing him proper first-class experience. But the fact is: Rahim is called into the national team. Let’s not do another wrong thing by calling for discarding a new player after a single match. We will have to stick with Rahim.

Old March 10, 2006, 03:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

1st wrong decision: Selecting Rahim in the test aquad against Sri-Lanka.

2nd wrong decision will be: throwing out Rahim from the test squad against Australia. i am sure our brilliant selectors are going to make the 2nd wrong decision too.

Edited on, March 10, 2006, 8:14 PM GMT, by yaseer.
Old March 10, 2006, 03:10 PM
ODI Cricketer

Exactly my point of view .... the worst mistake about Ashraful was keeping him on and off the squad ... we need talents like Mushfiq Rahim and Ashraful to get as much exposure in international level as early as possible.
Old March 10, 2006, 03:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Quote:
Originally posted by yaseer

2nd wrong decision will be: throwing out Rahim from the test squad against Australia. i am sure our brilliant selectors are going to make the 2nd wrong decision too.

Quote:
It was bound to happen......i was telling this from the beginning that Rahim should not be even considered to be in the team for abother one year..........U-19 is a tooo below level than international cricket.......look what has happened.......now you do not know what to do with him......throw him out or keep him......huh??

Sometimes fan get crazy i know.....this time our selectors also got crazy.....some 40/50 scores in the U-19 level gives him a chance in the test level.....radiculus!!

With some experience, Rahim can be a regular member in the future......but to be honest.....the short period he stayed in the wicket in this test....i saw nothing special in him.....he went to back foot several times against Murali when he should be in the front foot......and the way he got out in the second innings.....there is a big question mark on his highly discussed Temperment.

Give him a break.....he is way far to be ready for the test team....also the other U-19 guyz as well.

Edited on, March 10, 2006, 11:06 AM GMT, by yaseer.
Confused heh??
Old March 10, 2006, 03:24 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by babubangla
I am surprised to see many negative comments on Rahim based on his performance on the 2nd Test against Sri Lanka. WOW!!
Really? I thought you knew this board pretty well!
Old March 10, 2006, 03:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

Manzurul Islam, the lefty pacer, stated on a TV talk-show that the level of training and advice that a national team player gets is so much higher than those of a discarded player that its ruining the careers of many many good players in Bangladesh.

If we can afford to give only 15 desi player this training then, I want Rahim to be in that group. Heck, if 5 players get this trainining I want Rahim to be in that group. Wheather he plays or not isn't important.

Whether we compete/win/draw or not isn't that important. In the Srilanka series the emergance of Rajib is more important than a draw would have been.

Leaving Aftab out of any Bangladeshi team is a crime. Don't penalize Rahim for that.
Old March 10, 2006, 03:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Quote:
Originally posted by sadi
Quote:

Quote:
It was bound to happen......i was telling this from the beginning that Rahim should not be even considered to be in the team for abother one year..........U-19 is a tooo below level than international cricket.......look what has happened.......now you do not know what to do with him......throw him out or keep him......huh??

Sometimes fan get crazy i know.....this time our selectors also got crazy.....some 40/50 scores in the U-19 level gives him a chance in the test level.....radiculus!!

With some experience, Rahim can be a regular member in the future......but to be honest.....the short period he stayed in the wicket in this test....i saw nothing special in him.....he went to back foot several times against Murali when he should be in the front foot......and the way he got out in the second innings.....there is a big question mark on his highly discussed Temperment.

Give him a break.....he is way far to be ready for the test team....also the other U-19 guyz as well.

Edited on, March 10, 2006, 11:06 AM GMT, by yaseer.
Confused heh??
you could not get me Sadi, selecting a player for 1 test and throw him out is not right........but the decision the selectors have taken such that.....they are sure or have to make the second wrong decision......thats what i wanted to say

you cant expect mushfiq to play against aussies, can u?

Edited on, March 10, 2006, 8:33 PM GMT, by yaseer.
Old March 10, 2006, 03:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: TIGERS !!

Quote:
I am surprised to see many negative comments on Rahim based on his performance on the 2nd Test against Sri Lanka. WOW!! We indeed have some weird cricket judgment!!
Mushfiqur Rahim was called back into national side after a long gap since his debut in Lords. It was almost like another debut. How come we question the selection of a new player based on just one single test!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ashraful, Nafis, Aftab, Shahadat, Shahriar Nafees, Syed Rasel, Mashrafee – such a list can go on and on and guess what is common in this list!! All those players came into national side without sufficient first-class exposure and they are still in the team. How come we demand different selection standard for Rahim.

Giving Rahim more first-class exposure before recruiting him in the national side certainly would have been a better option. But the BOTTOM-LINE is we do not have such culture of developing players for international stage. This will be nice if we can that establish such a culture. But until then- we can not impose this culture on Rahim Only.

Players like Rahim will be called in to the National side without sufficient first-class exposure for different reasons. Firstly, this is sub-continental tradition. Look at India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka—they too call young players into the national team even without proper first-class exposure. Latest example is India’s Piyush Chawla Secondly; we do not have a high-standard domestic structure. Remember all those NCL top performers who did not get a call in to the national side and we all supported those decisions saying standard of our domestic cricket is not good enough. To some extent, Rahim got better exposure than many of out national team players had when they was selected for the team.

May be we did a wrong thing by calling Rahim in the test level without allowing him proper first-class experience. But the fact is: Rahim is called into the national team. Let’s not do another wrong thing by calling for discarding a new player after a single match. We will have to stick with Rahim.
I completely agree with your points.. Rahim is a talented batsman as he proved latest at U19 WC plus earlier serieses abroad. I have seen some short clip of his bating during the last visit of Bangladesh in Eng. I was really surprised to see him how he was facing Flintof very boldly where seniors were trying to escape from Flintof's bouncy fire. Even some commentator (can't recall) was praising Rahim for his daring attitude. And personally I liked him the way he was batting,, and I found him really talented and promising.

We can't judge him from one test, he is the player for long term services for our country, So selectors should keep him intact in the team and give him chances to show his ability.
Old March 10, 2006, 03:36 PM
Cricket Legend

lol...... I just felt like you are contradicting yourself...

"2nd wrong decision will be: throwing out Rahim from the test squad against Australia. i am sure our brilliant selectors are going to make the 2nd wrong decision too."

here you said the selectors would make the second mistake when they will leave out musfiq for the australia tour... that means the right decision would be to keep him right?

Then in another thread you wrote:

"Give him a break.....he is way far to be ready for the test team....also the other U-19 guyz as well."

Maybe I misunderstood you.

Let me tell you what I think. Just because they gave him a chance too early doesn't mean that they have to make the same mistakes again. He should be in the squad though. Learning from pilot can't hurt him. In the meantime, he can play one or two odis here and there but he should be back when he is ready.
Old March 10, 2006, 03:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Yep. I see some contradictions there.
Old March 10, 2006, 03:45 PM
ODI Cricketer

Agree we have to stick with Rahim. But sticking does not mean killing. Or at least it doesnot mean that to give the exposure to Rohim you have to make him a burden for the team.

Quote:

Good point. Only because we slaughtered so many young players before doesnot mean we have to slaughter one more. I guess thats what you are implying. or is it since Bangladesh has been carrying the buirden of exposure to all these young guns and crumbling in the international arena they can afford one more youngstar for the purpose of giving exposure to him. Wierd Judgment indeed!!!

Quote:

I donot think anybody wants to impose special exclusive clause for Rohim only. This should be the rule for everybody. Continuty of mistakes doesnot give license to another mistake. or Does it?

Quote:

Subcontinent teams have so many other consistent performer. The batting line up consisting shewag, sachin, shourav, dravid, Laxman, yuvraj, kaif can easily afford a youngstar. Actualy in those situation I wont be offering too many resistences. It will be a good thing for a youngstar to learn from these masters and to inspire without feeling any pressure. I guess you are implying Nafees is ganguly, bashar is dravid, ash is sachin, Golla is shewag, Nafis is VVS Laxman.

And regarding Domestic league. I realy dont understand how one can come to the conclusion that the player taking part in the NCL are not good enough. if that is the case and they dont serv any purpose why not shut down the NCL completely and start taking house and street interviews and screening to find the next representative for the international arena.

if NCL is not enough competetive(which it is not) make it comeptitive. We dont have to hurry to include a youngstar. Hurried attitude is needed to fix the domestic structure. Let set our priorities right. 100 Tk per day as an allowance is not going to make NCL competitive or professional indeed!!!

Quote:

Hell ya we did a wrong thing. and no body is asking for his head as a scapegoat. We are asking to establish a culture. Remember so many years England suffered in the international arena. But still they were competitiver to some extent, its because they were able to full use their talents properly. They had shortage of talents and class but the ability to apply whatever you have is the first step towards notifying your existence in the international arena.

For sake of the future lets not make few more rokon, shipon, litu and sajjad.

Edited on, March 10, 2006, 9:21 PM GMT, by mafizraju.
Old March 10, 2006, 04:04 PM
Cricket Legend

great post raju bhai.
Old March 10, 2006, 04:26 PM
ODI Cricketer

Good post mafizraju, Only I think it is a bit too soon to make those strong remarks .... Let the guy play anotehr 5/6 Tests and 5/6 ODI's before passing such comments. The point babubangla and myself made was, since we gave him a chance now . .we are better off continuing him rather than dropping him out once again ....
Old March 10, 2006, 04:45 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by zakirc
Good post mafizraju, Only I think it is a bit too soon to make those strong remarks .... Let the guy play anotehr 5/6 Tests and 5/6 ODI's before passing such comments. The point babubangla and myself made was, since we gave him a chance now . .we are better off continuing him rather than dropping him out once again ....
Do we have any precedent of such great success that once we have included a player we have to keep on playing him for 4-5 years to mature him up? Yes we do. tons of them. But the issue here whether we can afford another youngstar in the team? Its been almost 7 years since our inclusion to the test arena. Only recently we are getting few ODI success. We are not competetive at all in test (forget one or two odd ones) We have to do something pretty soon to. All our attention is towards ionternational arena. We are ignoring our domestic cricket wayyyyyy tttooooo much. BCB has to come to this realization. The selectors has to find a consistency of their judgement. Its a hrd battle to fight. But sicne we chose to fight it anyways lets be smart and use our resources properly. Have a vision and a plan, a 10 year long plan. The influx of talent tells me that with proper plan and grooming we can be the top team of international arena. Fans are still paitient. Kids still want to play cricket. But too much of failure or too little of success in quite long run will prove it to be hard to get more talents.

We talk about professionalism. But now only the National team players can have a decent life with the money they get. Look at all other players who all have sacrificed so many other things and with a dream to play for bangladesh decided to play cricket. Their passion for the cricket has to be recognised. They have to be awarded properly so that playing cricket can become their source of livelihood. Only then you can ensure the quality, heart and professionalism in the field. You very well will have more competitive DOmestic league with more participation. Those stupid corporate leagues will not give anything. and 8 team for NCL is too little of teams when you have no other cricket competition in the country............ after all 100Tk aint enough
Old March 10, 2006, 04:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Mafizrazu, I love revolutionary people but can you not symbolize "Rahim" for domestic cricket reform?

Aren't they separate issues?
Old March 10, 2006, 05:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by pagol-chagol
Mafizrazu, I love revolutionary people but can you not symbolize "Rahim" for domestic cricket reform?

The issues are related in a sense that instead of trying to develop quality players from domestic leagues, our board is taking the fast and easy way of pushing premature u/19's in the international arena.
Old March 10, 2006, 05:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by TheWatcher
Quote:
Originally posted by pagol-chagol

The issues are related in a sense that instead of trying to develop quality players from domestic leagues, our board is taking the fast and easy way of pushing premature u/19's in the international arena.
Are you saying that you'd give up the revolution if Rahim quickly becomes a good international player? If not, then you should keep them separate.
Old March 10, 2006, 05:32 PM
Cricket Sage

I don't know how its effecting the players who are doing great in Domestic league, but wasn't selected with the excuse that doestic league is not good enough.

As a fan, thats drives me nuts. We can't say:

a) "player X ( for example Rahim) should play in domestic league for X years and shine before he is considered in the nationa team"

on the other hand say

b) Domestic league is not good enough to justify in the national team regardless what they accomplish.

Setting up vague goal line and try to redefine it by moving it after the game already started is nothing but stupidity.

People need to make up their mind before suggesting two conflicting message. We are talking about these kids career here. We need to be clear what exactly we want from them and what is the criteria to get promoted.

Other wise it will be same ol same ol.... garbage in garbage out system.... so that even you send few diamond .the result will be same i.e. diamond in garbage out.

Edited on, March 10, 2006, 10:35 PM GMT, by Fazal.
Old March 10, 2006, 05:40 PM
Cricket Sage

We have to Stick With Rahim

No we should beat him with a stick instead. No?
Old March 10, 2006, 10:03 PM
Test Cricketer

comon guys.. really shouldnt judge rahim with this test only. many great players had very poor start to their career. And.. playing Murali.. isnt the easiest thing in this world to start with. So. chill out. He should be picked regularly in the team. I believe in some players .. who should be given enough chances before making an exit decision. To my thought.. i would really like to see Rajib, Enam and Mushfiq regular in the team for atleast one year. Trust me.. they wont dissapoint us like alok. These guys have what it takes to be in the world level.
Old March 10, 2006, 10:24 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

I don't understand why our selectors are trying to do with Rahim by throwing him straight into the lion's den. They are keeping him out of the ODI team, even against the series vs Kenya. He is more used to playing ODIs and proved himself as a reliable middle order batsman in one day matches at U-19/A team level. Some success in the ODIs, even if they matches were against Kenya could help to boost his confidence. Then he would be mentally better prepared for Test cricket.
Old March 10, 2006, 10:38 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by mafizraju
Quote:
Originally posted by zakirc
Do we have any precedent of such great success that once we have included a player we have to keep on playing him for 4-5 years to mature him up? Yes we do. tons of them. But the issue here whether we can afford another youngstar in the team? Its been almost 7 years since our inclusion to the test arena. Only recently we are getting few ODI success. We are not competetive at all in test (forget one or two odd ones) We have to do something pretty soon to. All our attention is towards ionternational arena. We are ignoring our domestic cricket wayyyyyy tttooooo much. BCB has to come to this realization. The selectors has to find a consistency of their judgement. Its a hrd battle to fight. But sicne we chose to fight it anyways lets be smart and use our resources properly. Have a vision and a plan, a 10 year long plan. The influx of talent tells me that with proper plan and grooming we can be the top team of international arena. Fans are still paitient. Kids still want to play cricket. But too much of failure or too little of success in quite long run will prove it to be hard to get more talents.

We talk about professionalism. But now only the National team players can have a decent life with the money they get. Look at all other players who all have sacrificed so many other things and with a dream to play for bangladesh decided to play cricket. Their passion for the cricket has to be recognised. They have to be awarded properly so that playing cricket can become their source of livelihood. Only then you can ensure the quality, heart and professionalism in the field. You very well will have more competitive DOmestic league with more participation. Those stupid corporate leagues will not give anything. and 8 team for NCL is too little of teams when you have no other cricket competition in the country............ after all 100Tk aint enough
So what you are saying .. letting Rahim Play in the Much Ignored local arena will make him mature for International Cricket. Are we assuming that the moment Rahim plays in Domestic level, it will become International standard ??

Dude, the domestic cricket needs a lot of development and that entirely is a different issue. Once again, we are not trying to justify his inclusion in the test side .... we are claiming that since he has already been included .. .we should carry on with him for a few matches ... not 5/6 years like you mentioned.
Old March 11, 2006, 09:31 AM
Test Cricketer

Why don't we send Rahim to play overseas First Class cricket (England or Australia), if he is capable of it and the same goes for all left outs including kapali.
Old March 11, 2006, 01:45 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Which makes me annoyed is the Bangladeshi players' making the same old mistakes in the longer-version game. They have to learn quickly. It is not good for a new team to make the same mistakes over and over again for last four years. I think consistency is not only a big problem in the players' performance but it was also evident in the team management's thinking. It was really surprised to see the think-tank pick up Mushfiqur Rahim when there were players like Alok Kapali and Aftab Ahmed.

It just puts pressure on the young but talented players. I don't know what was the selection policy of Bangladesh but I must say it's simply stupidity to field a player like Rahim to face world's one of the greatest bowlers Muttiah Muralidaran.

You can just destroy a player picking up him at a wrong time. The Bangladesh think-tank should be careful about the issue to nurse young talents properly.
DailyStar:Akram Inswinger>>

Edited on, March 11, 2006, 7:01 PM GMT, by reverse_swing.
Reason: mod.content: Please try to give source link and quote properly. Thanks.
Old March 11, 2006, 01:52 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

We should stick with Rahim. One test match should not take anything away from a young man who has shown both the technique and the temperament for the last 2 years on a continuous basis. But one thing is for sure, he has achieved greater success against pace so perhaps should be tried as an opener in tests. At least I would like to see him tried there a few times.