facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 2, 2006, 05:20 AM
TAQATOO's Avatar
TAQATOO TAQATOO is offline
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 17, 2004
Location: BD
Posts: 108
BDFlag Bangladesh National Cricket team : A proposed way to select.

Hello everyone
I know as myself, every cricket fan of bangladesh cricket is very much disappointed by the poor performance of BD cricket team in the last home series against AUS. As far as I know, our next series is against Zimbabwe or Kenya in next July. We have a handful of time to re-organize. What we do to make our team? Selectors just call 15-20 players one week before the tour. Gathered them in to net and gym. After few days they announce the team. Why don’t we call 28-30 players including national team players? I think, we have many players with same or more potential then current BD national players like Nafis iqbal, Hannan Sarkar, Mehrab Junior, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mushfiq Babu, Al-Shariar rokon, Manzarul Islam Rana, etc. etc. So call them all in a camp. Divide them in to two teams, 15 in each team. One with National team players and the other team with the rest of the players or mixed them within two team. Handed the teams to two BD Coach. Whatmore will care take the whole matter. Let the two team play at least 5-7 ODI and 2-4 four-day matches with each other. Try to telecast the games through TV channels, and then everybody can see who is performing and who is not. Rank their performance and select the best team. If BCB wish they could easily do this in Mirpur stadium. I know that India had already done this and that produce a great result. They got many player in pipeline to play for their national team and each of them try to give their best when the have a chance in the team. I think everybody got the idea what I am trying to say here.
Any comments?

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old May 2, 2006, 05:30 AM
Bengali_bradman Bengali_bradman is offline
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: April 11, 2006
Posts: 105

Good idea ... Hope BD selectors think the same way u do ... They usually recall 'oh! we have a tour soon" just 10 days before the tour ...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 2, 2006, 06:01 AM
Miraz's Avatar
Miraz Miraz is offline
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: February 27, 2006
Location: London, United Kingdom
Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Posts: 14,900

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAQATOO
Hello everyone
I know as myself, every cricket fan of bangladesh cricket is very much disappointed by the poor performance of BD cricket team in the last home series against AUS. As far as I know, our next series is against Zimbabwe or Kenya in next July. We have a handful of time to re-organize. What we do to make our team? Selectors just call 15-20 players one week before the tour. Gathered them in to net and gym. After few days they announce the team. Why don’t we call 28-30 players including national team players? I think, we have many players with same or more potential then current BD national players like Nafis iqbal, Hannan Sarkar, Mehrab Junior, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mushfiq Babu, Al-Shariar rokon, Manzarul Islam Rana, etc. etc. So call them all in a camp. Divide them in to two teams, 15 in each team. One with National team players and the other team with the rest of the players or mixed them within two team. Handed the teams to two BD Coach. Whatmore will care take the whole matter. Let the two team play at least 5-7 ODI and 2-4 four-day matches with each other. Try to telecast the games through TV channels, and then everybody can see who is performing and who is not. Rank their performance and select the best team. If BCB wish they could easily do this in Mirpur stadium. I know that India had already done this and that produce a great result. They got many player in pipeline to play for their national team and each of them try to give their best when the have a chance in the team. I think everybody got the idea what I am trying to say here.
Any comments?

Tried similar idea before. Didn't work. performing good in domestic matches or selection trial is not a good measure to judge players potential at international level. You have to continue with players who have already got international experience in different pitches. Few players might do well in our pitches but may completely fail in fast bouncy wicket against top quality bowlers (Faisal Hossain Dickens is a classic example, he was a hero at domestic cricket but a complete zero at international level).

Gving potential players chances in A- team, organinsing more away matches for A team (both 4 day and one day) and arranging tour matches against the international teams is a far better option.
__________________
You only play good cricket when you win/draw matches.
I am with Bangladesh, whether they win or lose . http://twitter.com/BanglaCricket
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old May 2, 2006, 09:49 AM
Rabz's Avatar
Rabz Rabz is offline
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative
 
Join Date: February 28, 2005
Location: Here
Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket
Posts: 20,465

i agree with Miraz...even though Taqatoo came up with a good idea, but i do not believe that it would be quite applicable for our side...

biggest problem is the politiking that goes behind the selection process..its not the fault of this current committee, but a common cultural practise of our nation...
only those who are close or in the "good books" of our cricket board, gets to play in the national team ( mind u, this applies to the new upcoming players mainly, the already established so called "stars" hv already cemented thier place)

so, i guess this will be an ever lasting issue for our national team...
__________________
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old May 2, 2006, 10:57 AM
babubangla's Avatar
babubangla babubangla is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: May 28, 2004
Location: TN, USA
Posts: 3,297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Few players might do well in our pitches but may completely fail in fast bouncy wicket against top quality bowlers (Faisal Hossain Dickens is a classic example, he was a hero at domestic cricket but a complete zero at international level).
Why we always call "Faisal Hossain Dickens" as the classic example of failure of a domestic heroe?
We gave him chance to play just 1Test and 4 ODI.
Is this enough to define a "Classic" case?

Look at the recent example of South Africa's Hashim Amla.
Prolific scorer in domestic cricket, but was a damn failure in the international level until his 7th Innings. In his first 6 innings, he scored just 62 runs at an average of 10.33. Speaking of technical flaws, Amla also showed serious technical flaws with his shuffle across wicket, making him prime candidate for LBW all the time.

A player becomes a player with years of hardwork and determination.
We can not put a "failure" label on such a life-time effort with just 1 test and 4 ODI.

It's time to accept the fact that if a player can not score consistently in "low-standard" domestic cricket, he will never score consistently in "high-standard" international cricket. We can not expect a chicken of domestic cricket to become a tiger in international level.
__________________
JONONI JONMOVUMISHCHO SWARGADOPI GORIOSI
জননী জন্মভূমিশ্চ স্বর্গাদপি গরিয়সী
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old May 2, 2006, 11:03 AM
Tigers_eye's Avatar
Tigers_eye Tigers_eye is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: June 30, 2005
Location: Little Rock
Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh
Posts: 24,878

Ehsanul Haque. 1 test and 6 ODIs. His consistancy in the domestic cricket demands more time in the International side than many of the inconsistant stars.
__________________
The Weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the Strong." - Ghandi.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old May 2, 2006, 11:38 AM
Sauron's Avatar
Sauron Sauron is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 26, 2005
Location: মেক্সিকো'র কয়েকশ' মাইল উপরে
Posts: 2,061

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAQATOO
Great Idea TAQATOO! Btw, what does your nick mean?

Anyway, again, your idea is simple and brilliant.

One other thing that would be interesting to see (and this has been my pet wish for more than a year) is BD National Team Vs. U-19 team. It will not be as useful as the matches that you suggested. But at least it will be very interesting. And who knows, it might turn out to be a good indicator of if any of the U-19 players are ready to play in the big leagues.
__________________
Of old there was Sauron the Maia...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old May 2, 2006, 11:44 AM
Miraz's Avatar
Miraz Miraz is offline
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: February 27, 2006
Location: London, United Kingdom
Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Posts: 14,900

Quote:
Originally Posted by babubangla
Why we always call "Faisal Hossain Dickens" as the classic example of failure of a domestic heroe?
We gave him chance to play just 1Test and 4 ODI.
Is this enough to define a "Classic" case?

Look at the recent example of South Africa's Hashim Amla.
Prolific scorer in domestic cricket, but was a damn failure in the international level until his 7th Innings. In his first 6 innings, he scored just 62 runs at an average of 10.33. Speaking of technical flaws, Amla also showed serious technical flaws with his shuffle across wicket, making him prime candidate for LBW all the time.

A player becomes a player with years of hardwork and determination.
We can not put a "failure" label on such a life-time effort with just 1 test and 4 ODI.

It's time to accept the fact that if a player can not score consistently in "low-standard" domestic cricket, he will never score consistently in "high-standard" international cricket. We can not expect a chicken of domestic cricket to become a tiger in international level.
I am mentioning Dickens as a classic example because in that brief exposure he showed the difference. He had no answers to the bowlers and the deliveries he survived, he looked simply helpless, no footwork and .....

Anyway it does not mean anyone good at domestic level will fail at international level, what I mean, 'there is very poor correlation in case of BD'.
__________________
You only play good cricket when you win/draw matches.
I am with Bangladesh, whether they win or lose . http://twitter.com/BanglaCricket
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old May 2, 2006, 12:02 PM
Sauron's Avatar
Sauron Sauron is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 26, 2005
Location: মেক্সিকো'র কয়েকশ' মাইল উপরে
Posts: 2,061

Quote:
Originally Posted by babubangla
Speaking of technical flaws, Amla also showed serious technical flaws with his shuffle across wicket, making him prime candidate for LBW all the time.

ওহ্‌হো!! দিলেন তো ভাই গোল্লা-ভক্তদের উস্কে!

দেখা যাচ্ছে গোল্লা আর হাশিম আমলা'র খেলায় মিল আছে। দুই জনই এল-বি-ডাব্লিউ এর জন্য আদর্শ। আবার দুইজনেরই একটা করে সেঞ্চুরি আছে। এতো মিল! ... এখন তো আবার আম জনতা (এবং চায়নাম্যান) আবার ক্ষেপে উঠবে।
__________________
Of old there was Sauron the Maia...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old May 2, 2006, 12:14 PM
Fazal's Avatar
Fazal Fazal is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: September 16, 2004
Posts: 15,722

Quote:
Originally Posted by babubangla
It's time to accept the fact that if a player can not score consistently in "low-standard" domestic cricket, he will never score consistently in "high-standard" international cricket. We can not expect a chicken of domestic cricket to become a tiger in international level.
Patkel te kar uddeshe Chora... Alok naki Ashraful? Thik bujlam na....Kintu pore vhari moja pelum.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old May 2, 2006, 12:16 PM
babubangla's Avatar
babubangla babubangla is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: May 28, 2004
Location: TN, USA
Posts: 3,297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron

ওহ্‌হো!! দিলেন তো ভাই গোল্লা-ভক্তদের উস্কে!
দেখা যাচ্ছে গোল্লা আর হাশিম আমলা'র খেলায় মিল আছে। দুই জনই এল-বি-ডাব্লিউ এর জন্য আদর্শ। আবার দুইজনেরই একটা করে সেঞ্চুরি আছে। এতো মিল! ... এখন তো আবার আম জনতা (এবং চায়নাম্যান) আবার ক্ষেপে উঠবে।
That's what Hasim Amla says when questioned on his technical flaws:

His tendency to shuffle across his stumps made him an lbw candicate, while question marks were also raised about his ability to handle the short deliveries. Amla, however, said that several coaches had advised him not to bother about the perceived kinks in his technique. "They said I should just concentrate on making runs. No cricketer can ever claim to be perfect"

Golla-Amla School of Cricket: Learn How to Shuffle !!!
__________________
JONONI JONMOVUMISHCHO SWARGADOPI GORIOSI
জননী জন্মভূমিশ্চ স্বর্গাদপি গরিয়সী
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old May 3, 2006, 12:39 AM
TAQATOO's Avatar
TAQATOO TAQATOO is offline
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 17, 2004
Location: BD
Posts: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Tried similar idea before. Didn't work. performing good in domestic matches or selection trial is not a good measure to judge players potential at international level. You have to continue with players who have already got international experience in different pitches. Few players might do well in our pitches but may completely fail in fast bouncy wicket against top quality bowlers (Faisal Hossain Dickens is a classic example, he was a hero at domestic cricket but a complete zero at international level).

Gving potential players chances in A- team, organinsing more away matches for A team (both 4 day and one day) and arranging tour matches against the international teams is a far better option.
Sorry to say, I didn't remember any similar attempts. We can't let our selection matches to play in different condition in different country, its not possible. What we can try to do is to select best players in those position where we think we have more players to try. Like in opening, in middle order, in wkt keeper position etc. etc. Giving potential player chances in A-team is ofcourse a good idea. But that trick also didn't work for BD. for example, tushar imran. Domestic cricket is ofcourse a major criteria to produce quality players. But still we have to go along with this untill we can up its standard. Also ash didn't play well in the last NPL for Sonargaon team but he still peoduces some runs in the next tours. So ? what to say ?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old May 3, 2006, 12:43 AM
TAQATOO's Avatar
TAQATOO TAQATOO is offline
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 17, 2004
Location: BD
Posts: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron
Great Idea TAQATOO! Btw, what does your nick mean?

Anyway, again, your idea is simple and brilliant.

One other thing that would be interesting to see (and this has been my pet wish for more than a year) is BD National Team Vs. U-19 team. It will not be as useful as the matches that you suggested. But at least it will be very interesting. And who knows, it might turn out to be a good indicator of if any of the U-19 players are ready to play in the big leagues.
TY sauron. My nick means me, nothing speacial about meaning. I just wish to take that name as nick.
Well, in the selection process as I described, they also might include some U-19 team member ofcourse. That will indicate there potential.
I don't think U-19 will be able to win a series if its played against National team. Its my personal opinion ofcourse.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old May 3, 2006, 12:48 AM
TAQATOO's Avatar
TAQATOO TAQATOO is offline
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 17, 2004
Location: BD
Posts: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney
i agree with Miraz...even though Taqatoo came up with a good idea, but i do not believe that it would be quite applicable for our side...

biggest problem is the politiking that goes behind the selection process..its not the fault of this current committee, but a common cultural practise of our nation...
only those who are close or in the "good books" of our cricket board, gets to play in the national team ( mind u, this applies to the new upcoming players mainly, the already established so called "stars" hv already cemented thier place)

so, i guess this will be an ever lasting issue for our national team...
Ty sydney. I know the biggest problem also. Still our national team is not our of political selections. Thats why we still got many players debut in the one day and disappear in the next match or series. But still we have to make a way out. If everyone see the process clearly, then atleast there is a chance to point out the disorders. Thats why I was saying to telecast those matches live.
Anyway, I don't think this idea will reach to the selectors no matter how much we discuss here.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old May 3, 2006, 05:23 AM
Miraz's Avatar
Miraz Miraz is offline
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: February 27, 2006
Location: London, United Kingdom
Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Posts: 14,900

[quote=TAQATOO]Sorry to say, I didn't remember any similar attempts. quote]

There were few matches dividing players into three teams. I think it was about 98-99 or 2000-2001.
__________________
You only play good cricket when you win/draw matches.
I am with Bangladesh, whether they win or lose . http://twitter.com/BanglaCricket
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old May 3, 2006, 05:33 AM
bangla_soldier bangla_soldier is offline
Street Cricketer
 
Join Date: May 1, 2006
Posts: 9

i think ur rite m8...

i too, was very dissapointed wid da BD team v aus!!!! they always let it slip.. jus think of dat match against pakistan,,, wen inzie won it for pak wid 1 wkt remaining.. BD jus dnt hvethat killer instinct to finish teams off... ur rite,, we shud divide the 2 teams to see who can perform.. i also think we shud try dropping players like ashraful.. he has not lived up 2 his expectations... look wot hapnd wen da aussies droped gillespie??????

if we drop ashraful, he wud probably den noe wot it feels like to getting droped out of your nations cricket team, therefore, wen he cums back... he will cum out all guns bllazing.. like b4..... innit??
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old May 3, 2006, 07:08 AM
chinaman chinaman is offline
Retired BC Admin
 
Join Date: August 14, 2003
Location: pc near u
Posts: 8,021

When selecting a team, there are way more things to consider than just the performance in 5-7 one dayers and a few 4-dayers.

We do not have top notch domestic leagues yet to make it a huge yard stick of selection for the highest level.

Opposition's strength and weaknesses pretty often have a big say about our selection.

Selector's 'educated' as well 'instictive' thought process about a player's potential in a given condition also plays significan role. Else why need selectors, when it can be done by viewer's voting?

Selection is really a complex issue and largely a thankless one.

I believe, our problem is related more to the performance than to the selection. We probably need to address issues like perception of 'success' (and failure) and ways to deal with it, role and responsibility within the team, adapting to the ever changing challenges etc etc.

However, there is no alternative to hardworks and practices. Tigers will fare better, in my opinion, if they play more practice matches.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old May 3, 2006, 05:55 PM
Orpheus's Avatar
Orpheus Orpheus is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: July 25, 2002
Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful
Posts: 5,836

agree with chinaman. I think selection has been pretty good lately. The last big mistake they made was brining in Mushfiq and that was ages ago....
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old May 3, 2006, 11:07 PM
TAQATOO's Avatar
TAQATOO TAQATOO is offline
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 17, 2004
Location: BD
Posts: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaman
When selecting a team, there are way more things to consider than just the performance in 5-7 one dayers and a few 4-dayers.

We do not have top notch domestic leagues yet to make it a huge yard stick of selection for the highest level.

Opposition's strength and weaknesses pretty often have a big say about our selection.

Selector's 'educated' as well 'instictive' thought process about a player's potential in a given condition also plays significan role. Else why need selectors, when it can be done by viewer's voting?

Selection is really a complex issue and largely a thankless one.

I believe, our problem is related more to the performance than to the selection. We probably need to address issues like perception of 'success' (and failure) and ways to deal with it, role and responsibility within the team, adapting to the ever changing challenges etc etc.

However, there is no alternative to hardworks and practices. Tigers will fare better, in my opinion, if they play more practice matches.
Thanks for the reply chainaman. I know all the issues you have addressed in your reply. Ofcourse we don't have any top notch domestic league. If we did, I doubt wherether some player in our national squad get the chacne to play for BD team. Oppsition strength and weakness is a big factor ofcourse. But I don't think thats yet a matter for BD team who still think only about their improvement. This kind of thing is for top team in the world those who know they have lots of lots of option to play in for various conditions. Selection is a complex process, I admit that. Thats why i proposed such a way to make it easy for selectors. They can play in different pitches, in different venue if BCB can organize. I think that will make something clear. As I said earlier, I sitll think we have many players with same standard or performance. We just need to send a message to the player's that, we have many options to choose from.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old May 3, 2006, 11:08 PM
TAQATOO's Avatar
TAQATOO TAQATOO is offline
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 17, 2004
Location: BD
Posts: 108

[quote=Miraz]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAQATOO
Sorry to say, I didn't remember any similar attempts. quote]

There were few matches dividing players into three teams. I think it was about 98-99 or 2000-2001.
Thanks for the info Miraz. But do you think we have too many options then like now to choose from
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old May 3, 2006, 11:13 PM
TAQATOO's Avatar
TAQATOO TAQATOO is offline
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 17, 2004
Location: BD
Posts: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangla_soldier
i think ur rite m8...

i too, was very dissapointed wid da BD team v aus!!!! they always let it slip.. jus think of dat match against pakistan,,, wen inzie won it for pak wid 1 wkt remaining.. BD jus dnt hvethat killer instinct to finish teams off... ur rite,, we shud divide the 2 teams to see who can perform.. i also think we shud try dropping players like ashraful.. he has not lived up 2 his expectations... look wot hapnd wen da aussies droped gillespie??????

if we drop ashraful, he wud probably den noe wot it feels like to getting droped out of your nations cricket team, therefore, wen he cums back... he will cum out all guns bllazing.. like b4..... innit??
Well, we have a long way to go. Unless, we will have those chance by a few time and let it slip. When we will start to get chances regularly, we can grab one or two .
Droping ashraful is a short term solution I think.Cauz there is nobody we can name to replace him, when u drop him. So everybody keep saying, why they drop him ? there is none better then him. Thats why i proposed this way. That selectiors have more options to choose.
Plz don't talk about droping gille from aus side. They have a huge pole of players to play with very good standard. Think about the 3rd ODI against BD. They just crushed BD team with the reserved players. So untill we have good replacements, we have to hang round and look for chances.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket